Tame your child’s unruly, rough hair with our list of the best hair gels for kids. Since children run around outdoors, their hair can get tangled and frizzy easily. So, a good-quality hair gel can keep the flyaways in control and give your child a neat, polished look. These gels are safe for your child’s delicate hair and keep it soft and nourished. However, choosing the right one may be challenging with different products available. So, browse our list to learn about the benefits and features to find a gel that suits your child’s hair type.
Our Top Picks
Is It Safe To Use Hair Gel For Kids?
Experts do not recommend using any beauty or skincare products for children. However, there is also no defined age when they can start using hair products. If you are planning to use hair gel for kids, then you must understand that the skin is going to absorb the ingredients. Though most hair gels and hair mousses are free of harmful chemicals, sometimes natural ingredients can also cause allergic reactions.
Therefore, it is always advisable to check with a dermatologist if you can use a hair gel for your child. Also, always conduct a sensitivity test before fully using the gel. To test, apply the product on your kid’s forearm and wait for 24 hours. If there is any kind of redness or swelling on the skin, then that hair gel may not be safe for your child. But if there is no such reaction, then the hair gel can be safe to use.
12 Best Hair Gel For Kids
1. Best Chamomile-Rich: Manzanilla Ricitos De Alcohol-Free Hair Care Gel For Daily Use
A gentle formulation created for everyday use, this hair gel is free of alcohol and enriched with natural extracts. It adds great shine to hair and nourishes and strengthens it.
- Chamomile extract enriched formulation
- Alcohol-free hair gel for non-sticky and non-greasy hair
- Makes hair shinier and smoother
- Does not make the hair dry
- May not offer a good hold
- May have an unpleasant smell
2. Best With Aloe Vera: Little Roseberry Hair Gel For Kids
The dependable hair styling gel for kids is packed with benefits of aloe vera for hair nourishment. Free of chemicals and enriched with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, this is one of the best hair gels for kids that is also baby-safe.
- Made from witch hazel and organic aloe vera juice
- Vitamin-enriched formula for delicate hair
- 100% toxin-free, cruelty-free, and vegan
- Free of dyes and fragrance
- Suitable for kids of all ages
- Promotes hair growth
- Contains EDTA
- May not have a pleasant fragrance
3. Best Water Soluble: Hip Peas Natural Hair Styling Balm
Style those difficult locks with the plant-based formulation that is completely organic. This hair gel for kids has a light hold and texture and is completely safe for children of all age groups. It has also earned the Parent Tested Parent Approved (PTPA) Seal of Approval.
- Natural, botanical formulation
- Clinically tested, hypoallergenic formula
- Free of toxins and chemicals
- Water soluble
- Suitable for all types of hair
- Safe and gentle hair styling balm with light hold
- May leave a white layer if not rubbed well before applying
- May not work for long hair
4. Best For Curly And Wavy Hair: Curly Kids Curly Gel Moisturizer
Developed for kinky, curly, frizzy, and wavy hair, this gel can be used daily to tame the child’s coarse or stubborn hair. It adds shine to hair and doesn’t leave it feeling greasy. This is also effective in taking care of the damaged locks. Take a look at this video to learn more about this product.
- Provides maximum moisture without making the hair sticky
- Has a light hold
- Amazing formulation for daily use
- Adds shine to the hair
- Minimizes damage and breakage
- Good for braids and ponytails
- May take a lot of product for desired results
- May leave a white residue
5. Best Vegan Formulation: Fresh Monster Natural Hair Gel for Kids & Babies, Alcohol-Free, Toxin-Free
Bid adieu to bad hair days with this natural hair styling gel for kids. This lightweight and flexible hair gel can be used for any kind of style. Hypoallergenic and free of chemicals, this vegan formulation works on damp as well as dry hair. You can make a braid or just spike up hair with this hair gel for kids.
- Free of toxins and chemicals like BPA, parabens, dyes, etc
- Cruelty-free with no animal testing
- Clinically tested and suitable for sensitive skin
- Alcohol-free formulation
- Adds shine to hair
- Suitable for children of all ages
- May not hold up spikes for long durations
- May not work for flyaways
6. Best Cruelty-Free: Snip-its Silly Slicker Kids Hair Gel
Hairstyling was never so easy. This amazing hair gel for kids with an impressive hold lets you set the hair to perfection all day long. Made of natural ingredients, this product has not been tested on animals and guarantees good results.
- No-flake formula that doesn’t make hair stiff or crunchy
- Has a soothing tropical fragrance
- Medium to strong hold
- 100% chemical and toxin-free
- Natural formulation made of allergen-free ingredients
- May leave the hair looking wet
7. Best For Managing Curls: SoCozy Behave Styling Gel For Kids Hair
Set any kind of hair just right with the best hair gel for kids. Whether it is stubborn style=”text-decoration: underline;”>frizzy hair or unmanageable curls, you can set them all with this kids’ styling gel. Lightweight combination with ripe pear scent leaves the hair feeling so fresh, smooth, and shiny. This review video helps you know more about the product.
- Made with bergamot and lily of the valley
- Non-toxic and gluten-free formulation
- Adds shine and smoothness to hair
- Medium hold
- Tones down frizzy hair and manages curls to perfection
- Enriched with soy protein
- May feel sticky
- May not work for long hair
8. Best Fragrance: Elegance Kidz Hair Gel
Funk up your look with this hair gel formula that is enriched with the goodness of vitamins E and Pro VB5, which prevent your hair from drying out. The alcohol-free gel has a strong grip to maintain your hairstyle throughout the day, giving it an enviable shine as well as fragrance. The formula is easy to apply, so you can try the coolest hairstyles without worrying about damage.
- Flake-free finish
- Absorbs quickly
- Delivers great volume
- Strengthening properties
- May not work for tight curls
9. Best Alcohol-Free: Africa’s Best Kids Organics Smooth And Style Gel
Condition the baby’s hair as you style them with this kids’ hair gel induced with extra virgin olive oil. You can stylize any kind of hair with this no-flake formulation, which strengthens and nourishes the hair of your children.
- Made with extra virgin olive oil
- Adds protein to the hair
- Alcohol-free combination
- No crunchy or sticky feeling
- Adds smoothness and shine to hair
- Ideal for different types of hair
- May leave a white residue
- May weigh hair down
10. Best Natural Fragrance: Original Sprout Natural Anti-Frizz Hair Gel
Loved by moms as well as professionals, this hair gel for kids is a combination of organic ingredients that result in soft and shiny hair. Safe to use and effective in performance, this natural hair gel is dermatologist-tested and completely secure.
- Made of vegan and gluten-free ingredients
- Medium to light hold
- Adds strength to hair and softens them
- Prevents breakage
- Natural tropical fragrance
- May cause flakiness
- Might cause greasiness
11. Best For Lice Prevention: Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Styling Gel
Formulated with a host of natural ingredients, such as rosemary, citronella, tea tree oil, and geranium oil, the Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Styling Gel is a great product for styling your child’s hair and protecting the hair and scalp from lice. It is also infused with jojoba and chamomile that soothe the scalp.
- Free of gluten, soy, dairy, and nut to minimize the chances of allergies
- Hydrating formula
- Paraben-, phthalate, and sulfate-free
- Not tested on animals
- Suitable for daily use
- Gel may be a bit sticky
- May flake
12. Best Strong Hold: Bonsai Kids Hair Care Power Hair Gel
The gentle hair styling gel for kids can be applied on wet or dry hair. Packed with the power of styling, it promises a strong hold to keep the hair looking good for longer. Preferred by moms and stylists, this is a wonderful choice of hair gel for kids.
- Alcohol-free formulation
- Promotes healthy growth and nourishment
- Strong hold to style hair
- Free from flaking effect
- May have an unpleasant fragrance
How To Style Kids’ Hair?
Kids look much smarter with nicely styled hair. Just imagine that your child is wearing the most fashionable outfit, but their hair is messy, only to ruin the overall look. On the other hand, if the hair is done right and even if the outfit is simple and ordinary, your child is going to create a good impression. If you are thinking about how to style your kid’s hair, then here are some cool ways:
- Kids styling gel
No matter how difficult the hair is to manage, kids’ styling gel can set it well. You can use a good hair gel for kids to create different styles, such as spikes, braids, buns, or ponytails, even for frizzy and unruly hair.
- Trendy haircut
Most kids have decent hair growth. So, it is a good idea to give them a trendy haircut to keep their hair looking fantastic always. A new and fresh haircut always adds on to the personality.
How To Choose The Right Hair Gel For Kids?
If you are planning to buy hair gel for kids, but you are clueless about what points to consider, then here are a few things that we think you should look for.
This is the most significant point to consider. The hair gel that you plan to pick must be free of harmful chemicals. It should contain no parabens, no gluten, no toxins. Look for products that contain natural ingredients and extracts like chamomile, aloe vera, jojoba, olive oil, witch hazel, etc., as they soothe and nourish the hair.
- Clinically tested
Hairstyling gels for kids must always be dermatologically tested to avoid any skin allergies. Go with products that are hypoallergenic to keep your baby’s skin protected.
- Hairstyle choices
The choice of hairstyling gel would depend upon the kind of hairstyle you wish for your child. Whether you are looking for a strong, medium, or low hold would depend on the style that you desire for their hair.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is a beauty and personal care enthusiast. A writer and editor, her skills lie in presenting highly research-driven and detailed content to help you choose the right products. In this post, she has curated a list of the best hair gels for kids. She provides analytical information regarding the ingredients and directions of each product to help you choose a suitable one for your child.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which Styling gel is the best for kids?
Any hair gel made specifically for children using safe ingredients that does not contain any harmful chemicals like parabens or phthalates can be considered suitable for kids. A hair gel with a mild formula that is clinically tested can also keep the hair and scalp safe from allergies.
2. Are there any side effects of hair gel?
Frequent usage of hair gel can strip away the moisture from the hair due to the presence of alcohol, leaving the locks dehydrated. They can also end up making your hair look frizzy and difficult to maintain.
3. Is it okay to use hair gel every day?
You can use a hair gel on a daily basis as long as you remove the product residue from the hair at the end of the day so that your hair is less prone to any sort of damage. However, skipping it a day or two from time to time would be a good idea to keep your hair healthy.
There are a variety of kids’ hair gels to choose from in the market, but the styling gel you want to pick for your little munchkin would be subjective to the needs of your child. No matter which hair gel you shop for, you should always prefer a product that contains natural ingredients and is completely vegan so that it doesn’t harm the sensitive skin. Always opt for a hair gel that is non-sticky, non-greasy, and promises shiny and smooth hair.
- Best Stamp Sets For Kids
- Best Play Tools For Kids
- Best Toddler Bed RailsThe following two tabs change content below.
Poulami NagPoulami Nag is a writer and associate editor at MomJunction. She did her MA in English from Miranda House, University of Delhi and has qualified UGC-NET. Her journey as a content writer began in 2017 and since then she has garnered diverse interests along the way. Her knowledge of literature and language has given her an eye for detail and...
View Profile ›