Keep your pet hamster busy for hours in your absence with the best hamster toys. These tried-and-tested toys help them stay active and healthy, promoting activities such as running, digging, and chewing, while ensuring the pet scurries around with excitement. However, it is crucial to keep a few safety measures in mind while selecting a toy for your hamster since they not only have poor eyesight and long teeth but are also sensitive. The toys should be non-toxic, entertaining, and stimulating to ensure your furry friend’s good health and happiness. Take a look at our list and choose the right toy.
Benefits Of Toys For Hamsters
Here are some of the benefits of hamster toys.
- Exercise: If your pet were living in its natural habitat, it would be running around to hunt its food. However, living as a pet, hamsters don’t usually get enough exercise. With suitable hamster exercise toys, it can engage in regular exercise to improve its health.
- Activity: Hamsters are crepuscular, meaning they remain active during twilight. Thus, when you are not around to play, these toys will come in handy for the pet.
- Health Check: Your hamster’s incisors need to be checked to prevent them from growing excessively. Chewable toys can keep the teeth in place and level them out.
11 Best Hamster Toys
Made of difficult-to-break hardwood sticks, this bridge toy is strung and created by two flexible metal wires that can bend to form different shapes, including a climbing ladder, a sand area divider, or bedding to offer endless fun. The bridge toy encourages the hamster to walk or run upon, enhancing its balance and coordination skills and helping it exercise. It is durable and safe to chew. Mice, rats, gerbils, sugar gliders, Syrian hamsters, dwarf hamsters, and other critters can also use this bridge toy.
- Suitable as décor
- Easy to assemble
- Ideal for trimming teeth
- Safe to use vertically, horizontally, or curved
- Metal hooks may not be very sturdy
- May be a bit large for some cages
"Adding this wooden ladder to my rats' cage has been wise. They love running around on it and even use it to trim their teeth. Plus, their versatile design has doubled them as cage extensions and dividers."
2. Best Chewable: Kaytee Chew & Treat Toy
One of the best-selling toys for hamsters, the Kaytee chew and treat toys can keep your critter entertained for hours. This package includes an assortment of chew toys for hamsters in vibrant colors, including a loofah toy that you can fill with snacks. These chew toys are made of high-quality, non-toxic material to make your hamster’s playtime fun and safe while providing them with sensory stimulation from the crunchy texture of the toys.
- Five chew toys in one package
- Helps trim the teeth
- Promotes teeth cleaning
- Made from natural wood
- Stimulating toys for hamsters
- Made with 100% non-toxic food coloring
- Can be used for guinea pigs and cavies too
- May be smaller than expected
- May have an unusual smell
"All my guinea pigs got excited when I added these toys to their enclosure. The loofah and apple chews are their favorite. Although all the toys are durable, the hanging toy may require a touch of glue to stay in place."
3. Best Engaging: Trixie Small Pet Suspension Bridge
The Trixie small pet suspension bridge can help keep your hamster entertained. This two-tier suspension bridge for small pets is an excellent climbing toy for hamsters and features two wooden ladders, a rope ladder, and a sisal hanging ring with wooden blocks. These safe hamster toys are suitable for chewing, climbing, playing, and exploring.
- Interactive hanging hamster toy
- Made of pet-safe material
- Easy to hang
- Lightweight design
- Suitable for all kinds of hamsters
- Knots might come out
- Might make noise when your hamster is playing on it
"The climbing structure has been a winner for my pet hamster, offering her enriching play opportunities and satisfying her chewing instincts. It requires occasional DIY repairing but is going strong despite my pet handling it roughly."
4. Best For Exercise: Prevue Mesh Hamster Wheel Toy
The Prevue mesh wheel toy is designed to ensure your hamster’s safety while playing. Its time-tested mesh design prevents their tail or feet from getting stuck while running. This wheel toy is made of steel and has hooked ends at the base to attach it to the sides of the cage. You can place it inside or outside the hamster cage, depending on how your critter likes to play with it.
- Eight-inch wheel diameter provides enough space for movement
- Easy to hang
- Available in four different colors
- Good for exercising
- Might make a squeaky sound
- May be challenging to stabilize
"With this wheel, I finally found an option my hamsters can't chew through. It is also easy to assemble and accommodates my larger rodents comfortably. The squeaking noise is a minor inconvenience, but the toy, on the whole, is perfect for keeping them active."
5. Best Eco-Friendly: Ware Manufacturing Small Pet Chew Balls
The pack includes three balls made of natural materials, including sisal, corn husk, and seagrass. The use of all-natural ingredients ensures these wooden balls are safe for your hamster to nibble on. These hamster ball toys are excellent for promoting activity and excitement during your pet’s playtime while maintaining their dental health. The natural hamster toys encourage gnawing, tossing, and rolling around, providing your hamster hours of fun.
- Ideal for teething hamsters
- Has a bell inside for added stimulation
- No assembly required
- Suitable thickness to chew on
- May be a bit large for small hamsters
- May start to fall apart with chewing
"Watching my hamsters try to chase this set of balls is so much fun. I have even added some of these to their cage to entertain them. However, I recommend supervising playtime as they contain a small metal bell."
6. Best Colorful: Rosewood Pet Rainbow Play Bridge
The Rosewood Pet rainbow play bridge is an activity wonderland that your hamster will surely enjoy. Made of untreated wood, this bridge features a semi-circular design with wooden steps that your pet can climb over, jump, run on, or sleep under. This rainbow bridge is an excellent addition to your hamster’s cage, adding a fun, rustic, and colorful element to their play area.
- Includes pet-safe glue
- Safe for nibbling
- Lightweight wooden pieces
- Attractive appearance
- Promotes activity
- May be a bit small for some
- May not dry easily
"My hamster can spend hours climbing and running over this colorful bridge. He also loves stacking hay and food underneath it. Its paint has chipped in some places, but it continues to be a fun and functional addition to his cage."
7. Best Noiseless:Exotic Nutrition Hamster Wheel Toy
Included among the best hamster toy brands, the Exotic Nutrition wheel toy features an axle-free safety exercise wheel, including a stand and hamster cage attachment washers. Its unique design eliminates the center bar, which effectively reduces the risk of tail entanglement, spine curvature, or other injuries to your hamster. The wheel has a diameter of nine inches, and the toy stands 12 inches tall with the included stand. The stainless steel ball bearings make the wheel smooth and silent, ensuring your active hamster pet can run on it quietly.
- Has a textured anti-slip running track
- Easy to clean
- High-quality plastic parts to withstand bumps and drops
- Made of high-quality plastic
- Prevents joint pain in hamsters
- May be complicated to reassemble after cleaning
- May become a bit wobbly over time
"My hamster loves running at night, so this wheel’s quiet movement is much appreciated. While its enclosed design needs regular cleaning, the same design keeps the wheel from curving when my critter puts his full weight on it. Hence, I consider it a worthwhile find."
Made of apple branches and crude wood, these chew toys are bite-resistant and eco-friendly. Suitable for small pets, these are fun-filled toys for your hamster to play with. The hamster toy set includes a seesaw, a swing, a wooden ladder or bendy bridge, a bell roller, an apple branch molar string, a grass carrot toy, a unicycle, a rattan ball, and more. These wooden hamster toys can bend to make various shapes to keep your furry friend engaged.
- Encourages pet friend exploration
- Promotes exercise
- Interactive small animal toys
- Free of harmful chemicals
- Includes 100% natural chin frills material
- Swing may be smaller than expected
- May be less suitable for pigs
"Both my hamster and guinea pings were instantly captivated by this toy set. The size of the toys is also suitable for my pets’ stature, but I found some loose hot glue on some parts. Despite this hiccup, the toys have been an entertaining find."
With 15 options, the pack contains 30g apple branch, a carrot grass ball, 30g sweet bamboo, a rose flower ball, a heart-shaped timothy grass cake, a calendula grass ball, a heart-shaped calendula cake, a timothy grass cake, a grass carrot, and more. These durable toys are made from 100% natural material and help prevent inflammation caused by overgrown teeth.
- Help promote good stomach health
- Freshen hamster’s mouth
- Free of chemicals
- Suitable for all hamster breeds
- Relieves tension and anxiety
- Chain may be slightly flimsy
- May have an overpowering smell
"This diverse mix of toys and treats provides my pets with hours of physical and mental stimulation. Their favorite is the chew toy, which fosters natural behaviors and environmental enrichment. Though small, the toys provide my guinea pigs wholesome entertainment."
The non-toxic and safe toy is made from food-grade material and natural wood to ace the test of durability. It helps your hamster grind and clean its teeth, offering adequate dental care. Your pet can rotate the brightly colored blocks on the toy for a fun-filled playtime. This budget-friendly hamster toy helps enhance your pet’s agility to prevent obesity and keep it healthy.
- Prevents depression
- Promotes good mental health
- Relieves stress
- Safe for tiny animals
- Glue may not withstand rough use
"The toy helps my chinchilla file his teeth and encourages him to be physically active. I wish the toy were more stable, but its colorful design and spinning blocks have been great for enrichment and hold up well even after being used for months."
This pack includes four accessories for hamsters– one hamster bridge, one block with rope, one hamster house, and one dumbbell. Made from two flexible metal wires, the toys are bendable and adjustable to form various shapes. Its wooden ladder is made from hardwood sticks, and you can shape it into a sand area divider, hamster bed, climbing ladder, and more. It also serves as a safe hamster hideout spot.
- Non-toxic and infused with natural nutrients
- Made of apple wood material
- Has no metal connectors on surface
- Strengthens muscles
- Glue may leak
- May be a bit small for some
"I got this for my rats, and they love sitting in it. Cleaning the second storey is a bit tricky, but my rats like the add-ons, such as the bendy bridge. Overall, it has quickly become a beloved home for my little critters."
How To Choose The Right Hamster Toys?
Here are a few factors you should consider when buying hamster toys.
- Chewable: Consider choosing chewable toys for hamsters as they enjoy the stimulation. Hamsters’ incisors continue to grow throughout their lifetime, so chewable toys can wear their teeth down to prevent injuries.
- Comfort: Ensure the toys don’t have any sharp edges or wide gaps. Also, consider your hamster’s size and age to choose an expert-approved toy suitable for their comfort level.
- Material: Choose toys made of safety-tested, non-toxic, natural material to protect your pet’s health.
- Durability: Ensure the toys are made of durable materials for long-lasting performance. As hamsters have sharp teeth, flimsy toys might get damaged easily.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is an experienced writer and reviewer specializing in toys and gifts. Here, she has compiled a list of the best hamster toys that are fun, engaging, and high-quality. She enjoys searching for interesting products with positive reviews that can make your pets’ lives easier. Hamsters are an overly lively bunch who tend to remain active through the night. Understanding the need to keep them busy so they can get exercise while allowing you to rest, Priti has provided detailed information and a buying guide for your convenience.
Hamsters need a good and safe supply of toys to keep them engaged and active and benefit their health. So, choose exciting and toxin-free toys to keep your little furry pet safe and entertained. To help you choose a suitable toy, we have compiled this list of the best hamster toys that come with various features, are made of high-quality material, and are non-toxic. Hope this post has given you a better idea of the products that can keep your hamster lively and occupied. Choose a tried-and-tested one that best suits your hamster’s personality and requirements.
Infographic: How To Clean Wooden Hamster Toys?
Cleaning wooden hamster toys is essential to maintain a safe and hygienic environment for your furry friend. With proper care and maintenance, these natural toys can provide your hamster with hours of entertainment. Make the cleansing process more streamlined by referring to the following infographic, which lists ways of sanitizing wooden hamster toys.