If you struggle lifting weights at the gym or carrying weights, look for ways that strengthen your hand grip. The best hand grip strengtheners are the right tools that can help you with it.
Robert Savin, a fat loss expert, muscle hypertrophy specialist, and founder of Primal Breed Fit, says, “Hand grip strengtheners are beneficial for people who rely on hand and arm strength. They help improve grip strength, promote hand dexterity and coordination, and alleviate pain and stiffness caused by conditions such as arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome. These tools are also portable and easy to use at home or office or when traveling.”
To understand how you can use a grip and how to buy one, we have listed some top-rated grip strengtheners you can consider. The post also discusses the types of grip strengtheners, benefits, and a buying guide to help you choose the right product.
Types of Hand Grip Strengtheners
There are three major types of hand grip strengtheners.
- Coiled strengtheners: This adjustable hand grip strengthener is the most durable as it consists of a coil and handles made of metal, with no moving parts. With less friction being produced when in use, this one is extremely durable.
- Strengtheners with a spring: This grip strengthener with a length-adjustable spring is usually created with ABS plastic and stainless steel. The spring is made of steel, and the plastic handles are coated with slip-resistant rubber.
- Articulated spring-based strengtheners: Using this hand grip strengthener composed of several springs can help you strengthen specific fingers by squeezing each one individually.
13 Best Hand Grip Strengtheners in 2023
This hand grip strengthener has five tools that help you work your muscles and improve your physical fitness. Included in the pack is a ball ideal for relieving stress and an adjustable strengthener for the hand. The other tools you get are an exerciser for the fingers, a grip strengthening ring, and a resistance band. The five items could help improve the strength of the fingers, wrist, hand, and even the elbows when recovering from an injury. They could also be helpful when you want to strengthen your grip for ice or rock climbing. Watch this review video and learn how to use this finger-resistance device.
- Good selection of tools in the pack
- Ideal for various hand sizes
- Video-based tutorials provided
- Easily adjustable resistance levels
- Parts may break
- Difficult to adjust
With this option, you can strengthen your grip in no time. The tool is specifically suited for increasing hand strength when you want to prevent injuries or are healing from carpal tunnel syndrome. The grip strengthener comes with 11 settings for different strengths and can be used by everyone, from a beginner to a pro. Here is an informative video that tells you more about the hand-strength exerciser.
- Made of durable alloy steel and aluminum
- Ideal for grip training for athletes and golfers
- Can be used easily in both right and left hands
- Handle may detach suddenly
Consisting of six pieces, this set allows you to do the best hand grip exercises. Made of silicone, the set of hand strengtheners come in striking colors and do not wear out in spite of frequent usage. The set can also be maintained and cleaned easily by washing. The finger grip strengtheners are specifically designed to be helpful when you are rehabilitating and recovering from an injury. The three finger stretchers have a strength value of 6.6lb to 11lb, while the hand grips have a strength rally value ranging from 30lb to 50lb.
- Color-coded as per resistance level
- Dries quickly after washing
- Can be easily carried in a bag
- Thumb area has less resistance
- Instructions for use are not provided
The Prohands grip strengthener is designed to improve finger and hand grip strength. This spring-loaded finger exerciser is suitable for professional athletes and musicians. It enables you to exercise the whole hand or each finger individually, depending on your needs. This grip resistance tool is suitable for improving endurance, strength, and agility. In addition to providing strong hands, it may help with arthritis, neuropathy, carpal tunnel, and improper blood circulation.
- Has a compact design
- Improves hand, wrist, and forearm strength
- Available in five color variations
- Made of high-quality materials
- Great grip trainer for musicians
- Provides greater spring resistance
- Might make noise while gripping
- Some may find it challenging to use finger keys properly
Build up your strength and improve the flexibility of your forearms, wrists, fingers, and hand with the Bob and Brad hand grip strengthener kit. This hand and forearm exerciser features a heavy-duty stainless steel spring, and high-quality silicone-grade handles to match your finger shape. Those recovering from a hand injury, broken wrist, tendon surgery, and more may use this strengthener kit. You may adjust the resistance from 11 to 132 lb to provide variation for hand exercise.
- Offers digital counter display
- Includes a hand grip resistance band for fingers
- Comes with a carrying case for portability
- Features mechanical counting from 0 to 99
- May not withstand rough usage
- May be less suitable for heavy exercisers
The ProsourceFit hand strengthener supports six different strength levels from 100 to 350 lbs. This hand grip workout tool may help enhance your performance in tennis, weight lifting, golf, tennis, and more. Designed durably, this kit is suitable for heavy daily use. Moreover, it promotes overall muscle development, making your daily tasks simpler.
- Durable aluminum handles
- High-quality spring
- Compact and portable
- Non-slip textured grip
- May have to wear gloves while using it
- May be noisy
The Boldfit adjustable hand exerciser is designed to strengthen your forearms and wrist. With an adjustable resistance knob, this tool allows you to select strength levels from 11 to 88 lbs. This hand and finger gripper enhances your workout performance. It is equipped with textured rubberized handles for better grip. In addition, this kit provides a silent operation.
- Suitable for gym and home use
- Easy to operate
- High-quality stainless steel spring
- Helps strengthen the fingers
- May be smaller than expected
- Screw fitting may be looser than expected
The Jfit starter hand grip is specially designed for beginners getting into hand exercises. It features soft foam grip handles to keep users comfortable. You may train your fingers, wrist, and hand with this tool. This grip-strengthening equipment also enhances your performance in lifting objects and helps get rid of numb hands.
- Encourages injury resilience
- High-quality chrome steel spring
- Compact to carry
- Simple to use
- May not have an adjustable resistance knob
- May squeak while using
Exercise your weak muscles and bones with the Powerball hand strengthener. This trainer tool rehabilitates your muscles post-injury. The tool comes with a lightweight-resistance grip, making it suitable for level-one strength trainers. With seven resistance levels between 50 and 350lbs, this hand grip resistance trainer allows you to adjust as per your requirements. In addition, it offers a matrix-pattern handle design for better, anti-slip grip. You may enhance your performance in sports by training in forearm and wrist exercises using this tool.
- Simple to use
- Compact device
- Comes with a training guide
- Helps treat numb hands, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc.
- Sensitive skin may get blisters
- May not resist pressure exceeding the limit
Boost strength in your hands post hand-injury with the Niyikow grip strength trainer. Made of rubber grip handles, this trainer tool can exercise your hands without hurting the skin. The ergonomic design also supports multiple exercise patterns. In addition, the high-strength alloy spring resists great pressure without damaging the tool. It is a suitable hand grip strengthener for rehabilitation, making it appropriate for those recovering from tendon surgery.
- Features an adjustable resistance knob
- Helps relieve stress
- Increases stamina
- Compact and portable design
- May be smaller in size for bulky hands
- May not provide instructions
Train your fingers, wrist, and forearms with this strength trainer by Sklz. This kit provides flexibility in your hand, relieving stress and tension. Its curved handle design offers a secure grip. From beginners to advanced trainers, this tool kit provides custom workouts as it comes with various resistance levels between 20 to 90 lbs.
- Features non-skid TRR rubber handle
- Portable design
- Provides occupational therapy
- Equipped with gold-plated steel spring
- Plastic threading may not fit well with the screw
- May not be crack-resistant
Get relief from arthritis and carpal tunnel pain with the Vive hand exerciser. Unlike other hand trainer tools, this hand therapy tool is designed with four spring-loaded pistons to improve finger dexterity. Each piston is secured with rubber grips for comfortable use. The hand grip trainer for athletes encourages target strengthening as you can work with independent fingers. It mainly builds your forearm, fingers, and wrist.
- Lightweight and compact
- Useful for musicians and athletes
- Offers three levels of targeted resistance
- Suitable for beginners and those recovering from injury
- Contoured design
- May get stuck while compressing
- May be less suitable for vigorous trainers
Designed for users of all skill levels, the Amazon Basics hand strengthener enhances your sports performance and reduces stress. Besides strengthening your hand muscles, this hand strengthener prevents injury. The kit is made of ABS plastic and PP material with a durable spring. This finger and hand exerciser comes with anti-skid rubber grip handles to prevent the kit from sliding off your hand.
- Helps relieve hand cramps
- Offers effective resistance
- Simple to use
- Supports multiple exercises
- May be slightly smaller than expected
- May not have adequate instructions
Benefits Of Hand Grip Strengtheners
- Improves your handshake: Making a good first impression with a handshake is vital, especially during a job interview. Using a strengthener for the best hand grip exercises could help you develop a firm handshake.
- Helps improve sporting performance: Professional athletes use an adjustable hand grip strengthener to improve their performance. It is especially useful for people who are into tennis, cycling, rock climbing, or weight lifting.
- Gives you added strength when doing daily chores: Among hand grip strengthener benefits is the improved strength of various muscles that makes the process of doing daily tasks easier.
- Helps prevent injuries and aids in the treatment of chronic systemic diseases: Using the best hand strengthener for arthritis, you can alleviate the pain that you experience daily. A grip strengthening tool also helps avoid injuries and is a vital part of the rehabilitation phase when you are recovering from them.
How To Choose The Right Hand Grip Strengthener?
Here are a few things to consider when choosing a hand grip strengthener.
- Purpose: Some want a hand grip strengthener when they are recovering from injuries, while others may want it to improve their rock climbing. Keep in mind your current grip strength and buy one that is a perfect match for your needs. As your grip strength improves, you should be able to adjust the resistance accordingly.
- Material: An adjustable hand grip strengthener can be made entirely from stainless steel or aluminum alloy. Metal versions are much more durable than others that are created with a steel spring and an ABS plastic body.
- Portability: If the tool can be easily carried in your pocket, then you can take it along when you are running or exercising in the gym.
- Versatility: The best hand grip exercises can be done when you have a good grip strengthener. Check the design to know whether it can be used for several exercises that improve the hand strength and fitness.
- Items in the set: Often, the best hand grip strengtheners come along with several others in a set. If you buy such a set that has five or more tools, you can exercise several body parts, including your wrist, forearm, and fingers.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah, our in-house writer and reviewer of exercise and fitness equipment, has compiled this list of the best hand grip strengtheners in the market after researching multiple online forums and user reviews. This versatile tool has multiple resistance levels to gradually improve your performance and is handy enough to carry around with you. He has also offered pointers on how to choose the right hand grip strengthener for your requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I test my grip strength?
The best method for testing grip strength is to use a dynamometer.
2. Do grip strengtheners increase forearm size?
A little or moderate increase in the forearm size might be noticed when a hand grip strengthener is used.
3. Do hand grip strengtheners build muscle?
Yes, if you correctly use a grip strengthener, it could help build musculature.
4. Do grip strengtheners improve dexterity?
Yes, they do. This is the main reason why pianists and musicians use grip strengtheners as they experience better dexterity.
5. Can I use grip strengtheners every day?
Yes, you can use grip strengtheners daily. However, if you are recovering from an injury, check with your doctor before creating a weekly routine of the best hand grip exercises.
6. Are grip strengtheners good?
Apart from improving dexterity and building your hand muscles, using hand grip strengtheners appropriately can enhance your hand’s gripping capacity, which in turn influences your visual, number, and prospective memories and reaction time (1). However, use them for post-surgery or post-injury recovery purposes only after consulting your doctor.
7. How hard are grip strengtheners?
Most hand grip strengtheners come with adjustable tension levels ranging from 10 to 50 kgs or 22 to 110 lbs. You can tweak the hardness per your convenience.
If working out and lifting weights seems challenging due to a weak grip, these strengtheners are exactly what you need to improve your abilities. The best hand grip strengtheners make it easier for you to work your muscles and relieve stress while also increasing the power of your grip, so you can perform better at the gym and even go rock climbing. The options listed here are not only efficient and durable but also handy enough to travel with, so you can work out on the go.
Infographic: Pros And Cons Of Using Hand Grip Strengtheners
If you love exercising on the go, you might have used a hand grip strengthener for a more firm grip. This equipment is also a part of many rehabilitation programs. The infographic below includes other benefits and potential risks associated with using hand grip strengtheners.
- What Does Your Grip Strength Say About Your Mental Health?