If you often struggle to carry bags or are lagging behind the others when lifting weights at the gym, you should look for ways to strengthen your hand grip. You can improve your grip strength with the right tools. One such essential tool that is becoming increasingly popular is the hand grip strengthener, which can be used while watching television or just reading a book.
The best hand grip strengthener could ensure that your grip does not fail any time, whether you are rock climbing or doing everyday chores, such as opening a bottle. Read on as we list some of the best hand grip strengtheners in the market, and the types of strengtheners you can use to grip things better.
Types of Hand Grip Strengtheners
There are three major types of hand grip strengtheners.
- Coiled strengtheners: This adjustable hand grip strengthener is the most durable as it consists of a coil and handles made of metal, with no moving parts. With less friction being produced when in use, this one is extremely durable.
- Strengtheners with a spring: This grip strengthener with a length-adjustable spring is usually created with ABS plastic and stainless steel. The spring is made of steel, and the plastic handles are coated with slip-resistant rubber.
- Articulated spring-based strengtheners: Using this hand grip strengthener composed of several springs can help you strengthen specific fingers by squeezing each one individually.
13 Best Hand Grip Strengtheners in 2020
This hand grip strengthener has five tools that help you work your muscles and improve your physical fitness. Included in the pack is a ball ideal for relieving stress and an adjustable strengthener for the hand. The other tools you get are an exerciser for the fingers, a grip strengthening ring, and a resistance band. The five items could help improve the strength of the fingers, wrist, hand, and even the elbows when recovering from an injury. They could also be helpful when you want to strengthen your grip for ice or rock climbing.
- Good selection of tools in the pack
- Ideal for various hand sizes
- Video-based tutorials provided
- Easily adjustable resistance levels
- Parts may break
- Difficult to adjust
With this option, you can strengthen your grip in no time. The tool is specifically suited for increasing hand strength when you want to prevent injuries or are healing from carpal tunnel syndrome. The grip strengthener comes with 11 settings for different strengths and can be used by everyone, from a beginner to a pro.
- Made of durable alloy steel and aluminum
- Ideal for grip training for athletes and golfers
- Can be used easily in both right and left hands
- Handle may detach suddenly
Consisting of six pieces, this set allows you to do the best hand grip exercises. Made of silicone, the set of hand strengtheners come in striking colors and do not wear out in spite of frequent usage. The set can also be maintained and cleaned easily by washing. The tools are specifically designed to be helpful when you are rehabilitating and recovering from an injury. The three finger stretchers have a strength value of 6.6lb to 11lb, while the hand grips have a strength rally value ranging from 30lb to 50lb.
- Color-coded as per resistance level
- Dries quickly after washing
- Can be easily carried in a bag
- Thumb area has less resistance
- Instructions for use are not provided
If you are looking for the best grip strengthener for climbing, then this four-piece set is a good option. It includes an exerciser for the fingers and hands, providing 4lb of resistance for each finger. The hand grip strengthener has a stainless steel spring, and its resistance level can be adjusted from 22lb-88ls. The ring provided is made of environmentally friendly material and provides 50lb resistance. The resistance band, meanwhile, is made of silicone and can be easily slipped on for use.
- Comes with an eBook featuring exercises for strengthening the grip
- Cab be easily carried in a bag to the office
- Comfortable to use in a small space
- Ergonomic design and features
- No brand logo on the products to determine the authenticity
- Instructions to access the eBook may not be clear
If you are considering strength training with an adjustable hand grip strengthener, this could be a good option. It is made with a combination of stainless steel and rubber handles to help improve grip strength and range of motion, along with fine/gross motor skills. It can be adjusted using a screw cap and provides resistance from 11lb to 132lb, making it suitable for both beginners and experts. It is also helpful for musicians and athletes who want to improve their grip for better performance.
- Compact design allows for it to be stored in a pocket
- Ideal for those healing from injuries
- Helps improve arm and wrist strength
- Does not create noise when used
- Tends to leave a residue of rubber on the palm
- Screw for adjusting resistance may break
The Basic Concepts tool offers maximum benefits, as it is designed to strengthen the muscles of the hand, fingers, and up to the forearm. The tool comes with a knob that can be used to adjust the resistance from 11lb to 132lb.
It is ideal for beginners recovering from an injury as well as frequent gym users who want to improve their weight lifting performance. It is also ideal for those who want to reduce the chance of injuries due to aging.
- Stainless steel spring is stronger than aluminum alloy
- Helps in providing stress relief
- Designed for easy portability
- Handles have an ergonomic design for easy grip
- Springs may detach
With an adjustable resistance ranging from 22lb to 110lb, this set is perhaps the best grip strengthener for climbing. It allows you to simultaneously exercise your hand muscles while also strengthening the fingers and your forearms. The handles are made of durable material that prevents slipping, and the tool does not create much noise when in use. The materials used in the build include durable ABS and rubber, while the spring is made of stainless steel.
- Resistance level is clearly marked
- Comfortable to grip and use
- Designed to be easily stored
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Tends to break easily
- Design does not suit people with smaller hands
Created from long-lasting thermoplastic nylon material, this adjustable hand grip strengthener is a perfect choice for active men and women. The resistance can be adjusted from 55lb to 154lb, so you can tailor your hand grip strengthener workout as per your requirements.
It is especially ideal for those who want to improve their rock climbing performance. Even if you plan to try a climbing wall at an arcade with your kids, this allows you to improve your fingers and hands’ strength swiftly.
- Durable stainless steel spring
- Ergonomic design allows for easy grip
- Easy-to-use resistance adjustment knob
- Ideal for beginners and veteran athletes
- Knob to adjust tension may malfunction
- Resistance knob might break
A hand grip strengthener workout using the tools from this kit could help in injury prevention. Included in the pack is a resistance-adjustable hand gripper with an adjustment range of 22lb to 88lb. A stress ball that can be used for hand therapy and stress relief when at work is also a part of the set. Created as per the industry’s current gold standard, these tools could also be helpful if you do a lot of typing every day.
- Can be used by teenagers, adults, and senior citizens
- Resistance band, grip ring, and finger strengthener included
- Helps improve blood circulation in your hands
- Build may not be durable
- Rubber used in the tools deteriorates fast
The adjustable hand grip strengthener can help keep your hands, wrist, and forearms strong. It comes with resistance that can be adjusted from 22lb to 88lb, making it perfect for beginners or experts who want to improve their performance when golfing, playing baseball, or rock climbing. The spring is made of stainless steel and is much more durable than aluminum alloy. It can be adjusted easily using the spiral screw provided.
- Built to fit small to large hands
- Compact size fits easily within pockets
- Non-slip TRP material on handle
- Springs could be squeaky
- May not be durable for intense workouts
Included in this five-piece set is a grip trainer that can be adjusted between 11lb to 132lb. It comes with a resistance band for stretching the fingers, a ring, and a ball that is ideal for therapy. The resistance-adjustable grip trainer has slip-resistant rubber on the handles, which are extremely comfortable to hold and operate. The spring is made of long-lasting stainless steel, and the resistance rating is clearly marked.
- Counter integrated into the handle
- Ball helps relieve the fatigue of the hand muscles
- Could help heal carpal tunnel injuries
- Easy to fit within pockets or bags
- Hard plastic used in the build can hurt the hands
This multiple-piece set is ideal for those who want the best hand strengthener for arthritis. The main element in the set is an adjustable hand grip strengthener with a resistance ranging from 22lbs to 88lbs, and it has an easily gripped rubber-coated handle. Three finger stretchers ranging from 6.6lb to 11lb extension are provided along with three exercise rings with 30lb, 40lb, and 50lb resistance. The finger and hand exerciser provides 4lb resistance for each of the five fingers.
- Grip strengthener with durable stainless steel spring
- Set is ideal for improving wrist, hand, and finger strength
- Ideal for all age groups
- Could help athletes improve their performance
- May be painful to use after surgery
Featuring an all-metal build, this tool delivers most hand grip strengthener benefits and comes with a good price point. It has two rings that can be rotated to adjust the resistance over five levels ranging from 50lb to 150lb. The resistance level is marked on the adjuster bar, and users can make the changes they need without any hassle. It is also lightweight, at just 0.46lb, and compact to fit into your bag wherever you go.
- Ideal for all hand sizes
- Strengthens the palm, fingers, and forearm
- Long-lasting aluminum alloy material
- Does not provide much resistance
- Handles may fall off when used at lower resistance levels
Benefits Of Getting The Best Hand Grip Strengtheners
- Improves your handshake: Making a good first impression with a handshake is vital, especially during a job interview. Using a strengthener for the best hand grip exercises could help you develop a firm handshake.
- Helps improve sporting performance: Professional athletes use an adjustable hand grip strengthener to improve their performance. It is especially useful for people who are into tennis, cycling, rock climbing, or weight lifting.
- Gives you added strength when doing daily chores: Among hand grip strengthener benefits is the improved strength of various muscles that makes the process of doing daily tasks easier.
- Helps prevent injuries and aids in the treatment of chronic systemic diseases: Using the best hand strengthener for arthritis, you can alleviate the pain that you experience daily. A grip strengthening tool also helps avoid injuries and is a vital part of the rehabilitation phase when you are recovering from them.
How To Choose A Hand Grip Strengthener?
Here are a few things to consider when choosing a hand grip strengthener.
- Purpose: Some want a hand grip strengthener when they are recovering from injuries, while others may want it to improve their rock climbing Keep in mind your current grip strength and buy one that is a perfect match for your needs. As your grip strength improves, you should be able to adjust the resistance accordingly.
- Material used to create it: An adjustable hand grip strengthener can be made entirely from stainless steel or aluminum alloy. Metal versions are much more durable than others that are created with a steel spring and an ABS plastic body.
- Portability: If the tool can be easily carried in your pocket, then you can take it along when you are running or exercising in the gym.
- Find out the types of exercise that can be performed with it: The best hand grip exercises can be done when you have a good grip strengthener. Check the design to know whether it can be used for several exercises that improve the hand strength and fitness.
- Check the number of items in the set: Often, the best hand grip strengtheners come along with several others in a set. If you buy such a set that has five or more tools, you can exercise several body parts, including your wrist, forearm, and fingers.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I test my grip strength?
The best method for testing grip strength is to use a dynamometer.
- Do grip strengtheners increase forearm size?
A little or moderate increase in the forearm size might be noticed when a hand grip strengthener is used.
- Do hand grip strengtheners build muscle?
Yes, if you correctly use a grip strengthener, it could help build musculature.
- Do grip strengtheners improve dexterity?
Yes, they do. This is the main reason why pianists and musicians use grip strengtheners as they experience better dexterity.
- Can you use grip strengtheners every day?
Yes, you can use grip strengtheners daily. However, if you are recovering from an injury, check with your doctor before creating a weekly routine of the best hand grip exercises.
A hand grip strengthener is handy whether you are an athlete, a teenager beginning rock climbing, or a senior citizen dealing with arthritis. It is useful if you do not want to neglect the hand fitness and strength of your hands and fingers.