Playing video games is never as much fun without the best handheld console. A handheld console allows you to carry your favorite games with you everywhere you go. Whether you are in the back of the car for a long drive, have some free time between classes, or just standing in line for coffee, you can bust out this handy device and stay entertained for as long as you want.
Handheld consoles come with a variety of awesome features that guarantee you endless fun and convenience, and you can choose them based on their size, battery power, and the number of games on the console. To make a suitable choice, you also need to know their specifications. Read this post as we list some of the best-selling, tried-and-tested handheld game consoles in the market and tell you about their pros and cons.
11 Best Handheld Consoles
The GameSir X2 Pro can enhance your Xbox Cloud gaming experience on Android smartphones. This portable powerhouse offers pass-through charging so you can continue playing even while it is charging. It also supports remote play anywhere. This device has instantly mappable back buttons for pro-level mobile gaming. It is an excellent gaming solution that supports several popular cloud gaming services, including Xbox Cloud Gaming, Stadia, Amazon Luna, etc. You can use this time-tested controller for a superb Xbox and PC gaming experience.
- Officially licensed by Xbox for Android smartphones
- 2 ABXY layouts with a simple pull switchover
- Easy-to-glide triggers and buttons
- Allows customizing the layout and buttons
- Lightweight design
- May be slightly difficult to configure
- Controller may disconnect while charging
The Hori Nintendo Switch Split Pad Pro is a full-size handheld controller. For Pokemon fans, this controller is available in Pikachu & Lucario design. You can attach the Split Pad Pro to the Nintendo Switch to get a full-size gaming controller experience. It has an ergonomic design, so you can easily hold it and play comfortably. The modern handheld gaming platform also has turbo functionality.
- Full-size analog sticks
- Easy-to-grip D-pad
- Assignable rear buttons
- Lightweight and comfortable design
- Does not include motion controls
- HD Rumble and NFC not included
The 8Bitdo Lite 2 Bluetooth Switch Gamepad is a portable gaming device for Switch in turquoise color. This expert-approved controller is compatible with Android phones and Raspberry Pi. It has shaped trigger buttons and joysticks. The controller comes with a quality battery that provides up to 18 hours of play on two hours of charging. So get set for your gaming marathons with this compact controller.
- Come with motion controls and rumble vibration
- Customizable turbo functionality
- Connectivity through Wireless Bluetooth and USB-C
- Lightweight and high quality
- D-pad may be smaller than expected
- May become unresponsive for a few seconds, sometimes
The PowerA Moga XP7-X Plus mobile gaming device is a telescoping gamepad for mobile and cloud gaming on Android devices or PC. You can easily connect this controller via USB wired mode or Bluetooth. This tried-and-tested portable console provides you with dual-mode play, where you can choose either a handheld mode, where you need to clamp the controller or play in tabletop mode with a phone stand.
- Two mappable advanced gaming buttons
- Integrated 2000mAh power bank
- Lightweight and long-lasting
- Ergonomic design
- May not be compatible with PubG Mobile or Call of Duty Mobile
- Some triggers may seem stiff
The Go-Volmon handheld gaming console case is compatible with a range of iPhone models. This handheld device does not exhaust your phone battery as it comes with its own charging port, making it ideal for gaming on-the-go. It features a colored display and has 36 in-built classic games. While it’s a fantastic source of entertainment, it also does an incredible job of keeping your phone protected from scratches, accidental drops, shocks, and dust.
- Colorful screen
- Available in four vibrant colors
- Some may find the screen too small.
With an enormous 3.5-inch IPS screen, a quad-core 1.5 GHz processor, and a dual-horn stereo speaker, this tried-and-tested handheld game console gives you an entertaining portable gaming experience. It can play and support games in over 20 formats and has a wireless network card to connect the system to nearby WiFi. Featuring the USB charging feature, it can be charged fully in about four hours. In addition, the dual card design ensures that the game card is completely isolated from the system to prevent card damage. With all these exciting features, it can be the ideal gift for gaming enthusiasts.
- Can support a TF card of up to 256 GB capacity
- Supports vibration mode
- Has multiple language options
- Up to six hours of battery life
- Game settings might be a little confusing
This pocket-sized gaming console features a 3.5-inch, 615 ppi LCD screen with 1600 x 1440 resolution for an immersive experience. Its digital audio workstation with a built-in synthesizer and sequencer adds to its several attractive and entertaining features. You can connect your headphones to this handheld gaming device via the built-in 3.5 mm headphone output. Additionally, it can connect to other systems via MIDI and sync cables, and the Tate mode allows 360° display rotation for your convenience.
- Compatible with more than 2,780 games
- Has a micro SD card slot
- Features stereo speakers
- Has mappable buttons
- Variable refresh display
- Offers up to ten hours of gameplay
- Screen may retain fingerprint marks
This advanced version of the Reteroid Pocket 2 supports Android and retro games and features a Tiger T310 SoC, a quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, and a 480p touchscreen. You can also connect it to a larger screen via a micro-HDMI cable. It is compatible with more than 500 games, and the Bluetooth function allows you to connect it to other systems and play multiplayer games with your friends. With a screen saver mode, the device can efficiently save power when it is low on battery. Further, it features an integrated rumble motor and an internally installed game launcher for a better gaming experience.
- Responsive touch
- Can be connected to WiFi
- Comes with a screen protector
- Available in four colors
- Buttons might be a little stiff
- Settings may be a little confusing for a beginner
The Mademax retro-style handheld gaming console is loaded with 400 classic FC games that take you on a trip down memory lane. While it’s super convenient on-the-go, if you want to play your favorite games on a bigger screen, you can connect this handheld device to your television. This time-tested handheld gaming entertainment device is powered by 3 AAA batteries. Once you insert the batteries, you can expect this console to last a couple of months.
- Built-in 400 classic games
- 5-inch LCD screen
- Compatible with TV
- Operates on batteries only.
Android powers this beautifully designed retro handheld game console so you can access Google Play Store and install a variety of emulators. With this portable gaming innovation, you can run N64, PS1, PSP, FBA, and a host of cloud gaming apps like Moonlight. You can also download the retroid apk to access the retroid system. It also allows you to save your game progress when running out of battery, making it an ideal gaming console for travel.
- Saves game progress
- 4000 mAh high-capacity battery
- HDMI, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi compatible
- Supports multiple emulators
- Expandable memory
- It may heat when used for long durations.
Gamory consoles are one of the best handheld consoles if you’re looking for something your kids can have fun with. It doesn’t take much time to get used to the controls, whether on the console or the game controller. If you’re an avid gamer, you can take this compact gaming console to keep gaming, anytime, anywhere.
- Features 400 in-built classic games
- Rechargeable 800 mAh battery
- 3-inch LCD screen
- Supports 2 players
- Compatible with TV
- The charging port may not be up to the mark.
How To Choose The Right Handheld Console?
Here are a few factors you should consider when choosing a handheld game console.
- Types of games: Different gaming consoles feature different kinds of games. While some have classic games, others might feature newer games. Before you look for any other attributes, you should first check if the console has all the games that you’d genuinely enjoy.
- Screen size and resolution: Gaming is fun only when the screen is big enough and offers high-resolution for an unparalleled experience. While 2.5-inch screens are ideal for classic or retro games, Android and 3D games are all the more delightful when you play it on a 3.5 or 4-inch screen. So, make it a point to check the screen size and resolutions based on the kind of games you intend to play.
- Storage: If you plan on buying a gaming console that allows you to install or transfer games from your computer, the console should have a decent in-built memory that is expandable. 8 to 16 GB in-built memory should be good enough. As for expandable memory, inserting a memory card that is 128 GB would allow you to store games that require a lot of space.
- Accessories: It is certainly more convenient when your gaming console comes with all the accessories, like AV cable, charging cable, controller, etc. that you’d frequently use. Ensure that the gaming system includes all the essential accessories unless you prefer to buy accessories of your choice.
- Other Features: Many advanced gaming consoles are packed with features like ebook reader, camera, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi connectivity, earphone port, calculator, and stopwatch. If you regularly use all these features, your gaming console would be a useful backup when you forget your cellphone at home or when it runs out of battery.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose, an experienced writer in the field of toys and gifts, is a trusted reviewer because she understands the needs of a buyer and is skilled at online research. In this article, she has gathered the names of the best handheld consoles that can transform your gaming experience. You may read the post to understand the specifications, features, and pros and cons of each product. The article also has a detailed buying guide explaining the factors to consider when selecting a good console.
Now that you know all about the best handheld consoles to help you immerse in the world of video games and beat boredom, it’s time to pick a tried-and-tested one that suits your needs and complements the facilities in your home. The options listed here are easy to carry and store. They offer excellent quality and a seamless and entertaining playing experience so that you can be wholly engaged in the game of your choice. Selecting the right console involves considering factors like the types of games you want to play, the screen size and resolution, accessories, and any other features you might be looking for.
Infographic: How To Keep A Handheld Game Console Dust-free?
Handheld game consoles have multiple engaging games and long-lasting battery life to provide hours of fun. However, frequent use can make the consoles look stained and dirty. Follow the infographic to learn how to prevent dust and grime from accumulating on your handheld game consoles.