Headrest DVD players are a much-needed accessory to spruce up your car interiors and keep yourself entertained. The best headrest DVD players can come in handy when planning long drives, especially when traveling with your friends or family. These players are compact, easy to fit into your car, and have numerous streaming options to play your favorite movies. Over the years, various innovative models have been introduced, making it difficult to choose the right one. If you want to buy one, this article has got you covered with some of the best ones available. Read on to learn about the benefits and types of headrest DVD players and the options.
Our Top Picks
Benefits Of Headrest DVD Players
- Entertainment: Installing a headrest DVD player can provide much-needed entertainment while traveling. It helps with boredom as you can watch your favorite shows and movies effortlessly. It also works with the car’s stereo system, so you can play music to relax on the go.
- Streaming: Some headrest DVD players come with additional features and provisions to connect your smartphones, storage devices, or your gaming devices to stream content, giving you a wide array of provisions.
Types Of Headrest DVD Players
Here are the different types of DVD players available.
- Clamshell: The DVD player opens up like a clam to place a CD, and once you place it in the device, it will play the desired content. These players are usually single-screen, i.e., they exist as only one screen. Some of these players come with headphone jacks to plug your earphones while it is in use. These players are built to accommodate discs of different types and versions.
- Dual-screen: Dual-screen monitors exist in pairs. You can use them to play the same content simultaneously or try different ones. These players are usually connected through a cable that helps play the same content. Like clamshell models, you can find such monitors with USB ports and headphone jacks.
- Fixed: A fixed headrest monitor can be installed on the back of the headrest and used by those sitting in the back of the car. They usually come with installation kits, straps, and brackets. These monitors are usually slimmer and resemble a tablet as they are lightweight.
- Swivel/Rotatable: These monitors offer the facilities to twist and turn the screens. Compared to the backrest counterparts, they are more versatile, as you can place them anywhere in the car.
11 Best Headrest DVD Players
1. Best For Family Use: Hdjuntunkor Portable DVD Player
The DVD player for car headrest comes with a 1024×600 swivel screen and a 270-degree rotation provision. It is built to last and has a battery with a watch time of up to five hours when fully charged. This DVD player has two operating systems, i.e., one for daily viewing and another for on-board viewing. The player can support formats like CD, DVD, CD-R/RW, DVD -R/+R, VCD, and more. To ensure that you can use this device anywhere and anytime, it comes with an AC adapter for longer use. Click here to know more about this DVD player.
- Comes with a customized bag
- Break-point memory function
- Includes two speakers
- Might be difficult to operate
2. Best For Road Trips: ieGeek Portable DVD Player
The ieGeek portable car headrest DVD player comes with a compact structure that can be folded and carried around like a tablet. It is child-friendly and comes with a battery that can last as long as five hours. The two speakers in this player are powerfully built to generate clear and loud sound. It comes with a 3.5mm earphone jack and can support formats like CD, DVD, DVD+R(-R), DVD+RW(-RW), VCD, and more. The device is available in purple, black, blue, and red. To know more about this device, click here.
- Includes AC power adapter
- Eye-protective screen
- Picture may get distorted
3. Best Earphone-Friendly: Fangor Dual DVD Player
With this dual headrest DVD player, you can connect two monitors to play the same movie with AC/DC cables. It is built using rechargeable lithium batteries and offers five hours of usage. The screen comes with an AC adapter for charging the device through a wall outlet and a car charger if you intend to use the device in a car. It has two brackets and straps to mount it on the car headrest and is built to stay stable. You can check out this video to get a better idea about this device.
- Easy to operate
- Last memory support
- Supports all disc regions
- Aux cable not included
4. Best Visual Experience: Sunpin Portable DVD Player
The Sunpin portable digital player offers an improved sensitive signal transmitter. It has a practical headrest bracket and a car charger, making it convenient for use. The DVD player comes with an LCD screen, enhanced brightness of 220cd/ square meter, built to give you an upgraded visual experience. It can support formats, including CD, DVD, DVD+R(-R), DVD+RW(-RW), and is compatible with multi-media files that can be programmed using USB and SD cards, like JPEG, MP3, MP4, MPEG1, and MPEG2.
- After-sales service available
- 12-month warranty available
- Dual headphone jacks
- Comfortable remote control
- Screen might be small
5. Best For All Cars: Naviskauto Dual Car DVD Player
From Raspberry Pi to Xbox and Kindle Fire, this portable DVD player from Naviskauto can sync up to 1080p video content into all such devices. It comes as a set of two DVD players and is compatible with HD video formats like MP4, MKV, FLV, AVI, MPEG, MPG, and TS. Its built-in USB and SD card slot can take up to 128 GB in FAT32 format. The DVD player is easy to install in your car seat, thanks to the straps that can be adjusted to suit various cars. The player comes with two screens and various accessories like IR remote controllers, AV cable, and a warranty of up to 18 months.
- LED backlight available
- Can be paired with a mobile phone
- Can be charged simultaneously
- Clamshell design for easy disc change
- USB might lose connection
6. Best Noise Reduction: Mydash Kids’ DVD Player
The Mydash portable DVD player is powered by a rechargeable 18650 mAh lithium polymer battery. It comes with longer viewing times and is safe to use. So, if you are planning a road trip with your children and are looking for ways to keep them entertained, this DVD player can be your safest bet. The LCD screen comes with 1024×600 pixels in an upgraded version to give users a seamless viewing experience. This screen is versatile enough to swivel up to 270 degrees and rotate 180 degrees, so you can place it anywhere and anytime to watch your shows.
- Anti-shock design
- Noise reduction
- Sturdy build
- Volume may not be very high
7. Best Speakers: Wonnie Dual Screen Car DVD Player
The DVD player comes with two screens- one as a DVD player and another as an LCD player. From viewing images in JPEG format and playing audios in MP3 format to streaming movies and videos of video formats like CD, DVD, VCD, and CD-R, this DVD player is versatile. Its screen is almost 11 inches long and can display content with clarity up to 1024×800. It can be powered by two power sources: the in-built battery and an AC adapter. Its memory function can help start the video from where you left off.
- Easy to sync
- Upgraded speakers
- Touch sensor
- Suitable for children
- Might have too many cords
8. Best Child-Friendly: Vanku Car DVD Player
Made to sync videos from devices like smartphones, Playstation, Xbox, and even your Raspberry Pi, the Vanku car DVD player can display content in 1080p. It has a flip clamshell design to place discs of your favorite movies, making it easy for children to use. It can support SD cards of up to 128 GB and formats like MPEG, MPG, TS, TRP, VOB, and FLV. For a better experience, we recommend using a pair of headsets and an AV cable to plug into the player. This DVD player also has a warranty for 18 months and a time-saving last memory feature.
- Firm mounting frames included
- Bottom dual speakers
- Easy to install
- Stable design
- Screen may be prone to freezing
9. Best Screen Protection: Pyle Universal Car DVD Player With Headrest
The Pyle Universal Car portable DVD player with headrest mount can be the safest bet for those who wish to go on long road trips and are looking for a source of entertainment. It has an HD LCD screen that you can use to watch your favorite content or play games. The player has a screen that measures 9.4 inches and comes with a USB flash and an SD memory card to help you access your files seamlessly. If you are interested in using this device with headphones, it comes with accessories like two pairs of headphones and a remote.
- Versatile usage
- Built-in stereo speakers
- Suitable for listening to music
- Leather cover for better screen protection
- Screen may be prone to freezing
10. Best Battery Life: Arafuna Dual Portable DVD Player
Whether you want to play two or the same ones simultaneously, this player from Arafuna has got you covered. It comes with provisions to plug this device into your TV screen to enjoy your favorite video content. Loaded with a long battery life of 5000 mAh, this headrest DVD player is powered by a lithium battery that can run up to five hours. The player comes with a warranty of two years and additional parts like two mounting brackets, two headrest straps, a remote control, and an adapter with two types of cables to be used anywhere and anytime.
- Easy to sync
- Easy to change disc
- Upgraded speakers
- Suitable for leisure use
- May be noisy
11. Best Screen Size: Desobry Portable DVD player For Car
Desobry’s portable DVD player is built to play the same movie simultaneously with one video cable. Its screen measures 12 inches and runs on a high-powered lithium battery. While one monitor can work up to five hours of continuous usage, two monitors can work up to three hours. Whether it is DVD -R/+R, DVD+RW/-RW, CD, or CD-R, they accept a variety of formats. The player has accessories like a user manual, an aux cable, a main car headrest DVD player, six headrest straps, one video cable, and a slave monitor.
- Easy to sync playback
- Easy to charge
- Helps reduce visual fatigue
- Stereo sound available
- May be heavy
How To Choose The Right Headrest DVD Player For A Car?
Before you buy the best headrest DVD player for a car, here are some factors to consider.
- Resolution: Choose a player with a high video resolution to enjoy high-quality content seamlessly. Moreover, it is also important to choose one with great sound clarity.
- Connectivity: Headrest DVD players are not limited to playing up to five movies. You can also find some with HDMI ports and slots to put SD cards and USB drivers to connect your laptops to them. Choosing a player with more connectivity options can help you pair mobile devices and other gadgets.
- Battery: We recommend picking a device with an excellent battery capacity. The battery capacity of a player is usually measured on mAh units, so the larger the unit, the longer the usage time. It is equally important to look at the time taken to charge the player, as it helps determine its efficiency. Moreover, choose a device with multiple charging options.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah specializes in writing about products related to automobiles, electronics, households, and children. His articles are fact-driven and aim to keep the readers informed about the best products available. This article lists some of the best headrest DVD players you can install in your car for a fun-filled travel experience. Wedetso has considered customer reviews and compared multiple products across various platforms to find the top ones for you. This article also has a buying guide, and he has answered some frequently asked questions to help readers make an informed choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do headrest DVD players work?
Headrest DVD players come with a CD port in the back of the device where you can insert the CD, and the player displays the content. However, you can also find a device with additional features like HDMI and USB ports where you can connect storage devices or your laptops. Although a headrest player runs on the car’s audio system, some devices have headphone jacks for convenience.
2. Can headrest DVD players play Blu-Ray movies?
You can check if the device can play Blu-Ray quality videos by checking the features. They are broadly categorized as 1080p and 4K Blu-Ray. Both are built to display top-notch video clarity using commercially available CDs burnt with MP3 files. So, it is common to find such players that can play movies with Blu-Ray quality.
3. What kind of headrest mount do I need for detachable players?
Some headrest DVD players come with a universal attached headrest mount. They do not require an additional mount to fix the player to the seat. You can opt for a universal car mount sold separately if the device doesn’t have one.
Traveling in a car for long distances does not have to be boring anymore, thanks to the best headrest DVD players. Once installed, you can stream your favorite movies, videos, and music while you travel. There may be various options to choose from, but to buy the best, we recommend those players that are versatile enough to support all video formats. You can also look for devices with additional features like headphone jacks and enhanced connectivity to pair your devices. Also, avoiding devices without a long-lasting battery and lightweight design can help you narrow your choices.