Winter is a beautiful time to try out warm jackets, woolen clothes, and a room heater. If your room measures 500 square feet, you should be going for the best heater for 500 square feet room. Winters are all about snuggling in your rooms, being cozy, and enjoying a nice and hot cup of coffee or hot chocolate. The versatile room heaters can be placed anywhere in your room, be it your garage, kitchen, bathroom, or bedroom. They are loaded with features, including auto cut-offs when they overheat and temperature control. For seamless handling, they also come with remote control. Since you might be wondering how to choose one that suits you, we have compiled a list of some good heaters that you can consider before buying.
Types Of Heaters For 500 Square Feet Rooms
The following are the common types of heaters for 500sft rooms available easily in the market.
- Convective heaters: These are electric heaters with inbuilt fans that blow heat around the room. Though these heaters take a little time to heat a room, they can maintain the room temperature for a long time once the temperature setting is reached. They could be a bit noisy because of the fan.
- Fuel-burning heaters: These heaters require propane, natural gas, or wood to produce heat. They do not consume any electricity but are tedious to install and maintain. These heaters are also space-consuming and may not be suitable for small 500 ft rooms unless for a short monitored period.
- Radiant heaters: These space heaters give out infrared radiation and direct heat. They heat the room fast and maintain the warm temperature for a longer period. Some radiant heaters are inclusive of blowers and oscillation features, which help in distributing heat evenly.
- Oil-filled heaters: These heaters follow the science of transferring heat energy to oil. The filler oil helps evaporate the accumulated heat, and the oil soaks in the heat and releases it slowly, heating the room.
- Radiant floor heaters: These heaters have a heating element in the pipe and are based on a structure of pipes and electric heating elements or any fluid. Steam heaters produce steam when water is heated. The steam is then channeled through a network of pipes, facilitating the heating of larger surface areas.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Heaters For 500 Square Feet
The Dr. Infrared heater comes with remote control and has a push-button mode with different power settings to heat a 500sqft room evenly and avoids hot or cold spots. It has an electronic thermostat of 50° to 86° and a dial for temperature control with a timer. The 1500w heater weighs 25lb and measures 13×12.5x17in. It has a ball bearing high-pressure blower and requires a standard 110v three-pin plug. You may check this video for a better understanding of this product.
- Auto energy-saving feature
- Advanced dual-heating mechanism
- Protects from overheating
- Long cord and quiet fan included
- Three-year warranty
- May not have safe surge strips or extension cords
The Duraflame electric fireplace heater provides zone heating for a 1000sft room and doesn’t require vents or gas lines. It has a 3D flame technology with glowing logs and an ember appearance to provide a layered flame effect of a real fireplace. This eco-friendly heater has an automatic shut-off timer from 30 minutes to nine hours and comes with a one-year warranty. This video review will help you learn more about the product.
- Five adjustable brightness settings
- Adjustable thermostat
- Portable and easy to assemble
- Durable metal body with side viewing windows
- Operable door with beveled glass
- Remote controller included
- Could be noisy
Keep your living space warm with the Pelonis Ceramic Tower Indoor Space Heater. It offers a comprehensive area coverage of 100 to 160 sq ft with 70° oscillation. This ceramic heater is electric-resistance and heats up in three seconds. The tower heater is made of cool-touch, flame-resistant material and is compatible with the US plug sockets. Other sockets might need an adapter or extension. It is equipped with three heating options – low, ECO mode, and high that offer maximum warmth. Eco mode is an energy-saving setting that is based on your immediate surrounding temperature. In addition, the tower heater is equipped with a touch control, remote control, and overheating protection. The device produces 50dB of noise and is ideal for bedrooms, living rooms, and offices. This video will help you make an informed decision about your purchase.
- Quick heating
- Constant temperature
- Easy to move
- Low noise
- Stylish design
- Easy to clean
- Not draught-free
The LifeSmart infrared heater has a stylish metal body and comes with three heat settings. It heats a large room in minutes and hasa digital thermostat and remote for easy control. This heating source comes with a washable lifetime air filter and a quiet fan oscillation to distribute heat evenly. It measures 16x13x16.5in and weighs 21lb.
- Digital controls included
- 12-hour timer feature
- Keeps air moisturized
- Portable and easy to use
- 500w eco setting included
- Could be loud
The Aikoper space heater is powered with 1500w ceramic heating elements to improve heating efficiency in the room. Its oscillating function has a wide-angle to heat a large area evenly. The energy-efficient heater with a sensitive temperature sensor has two heat settings and shuts off automatically if it gets overheated or tips over. It is designed with a built-in handle for easy portability and has a space to keep the remote.
- Eight-hour timer
- Overheat protection
- Remote controlled
- ECO setting
- Safe mechanism
- Exterior gets hot to touch
If you are looking for one unit that can help you during summer and winters, the Whynter air conditioner with heater comes with four operational modes: air conditioner, fan, dehumidifier, and a heater. It has a heating thermostat, which provides temperatures from 61° to 77°F with three fan speeds. The unit measures 19x16x35.5in and has a 24-hour timer system,along with an activated carbon filter and a washable pre-filter.
- Dual hose operation
- Lead-free components
- Digital display
- Casters for easy mobility
- Includes protective storage cover
- Could be heavy
Homegear’s infrared space heater is a 1500w unit with 5100 BTU output, which can comfortably heat a 1500sft room. It measures 17x12x13in and weighs 11.5lb. The dual heating system comprises quartz and mica infrared heating tubes,maintaining the room’s moisture level. It has an efficient fan blower that circulates heat evenly. The heater can be controlled by a remote for convenience and has a cool-to-touch casing with a timer.
- Digital thermostat
- LED for monitoring
- Overheat protection
- Efficient blower fan included
- On/off switch makes a loud beep sound
The ceramic space heater from Opolar heats the room fast with its 1500w powerful motor, making a low noise of only 50db. It has a fan for even distribution of heat and an automatic overheat sensor that shuts off the unit when it gets overheated. The ceramic heating makes this heater more efficient and saves energy.
- Adjustable thermostat
- Three heating modes
- Tip-over switch
- Built-in handle for portability
- May not be durable
The Honeywell slim heater is powered with a DC motor for longevity and higher capacity. It has two heat settings, thermally insulated wiring, and an oscillating fan for even heat distribution in a wide area. The unit has a built-in thermostat that can be programmed to your requirements and four timer settings with automatic overheat protection for your safety. This tower heater body stays cool while in use and makes it easy to handle and maneuver.
- Digital controls
- LCD for monitoring
- 360° tip-over protection
- Convenient carrying handle
- Three-year warranty
- Thin and portable design
- Doesn’t switch on automatically when the temperature drops
Working in a garage in winter can be quite chilling and uncomfortable. The NewAir G73 garage heater has a heavy-duty stainless steel exterior with a powder-coated finish. It comes with a high power fan that can heat a 500sft area andprevents overheating to keep you safe. The adjustable vents focus the warm air on distributing the heat evenly and making the garage warm. It has a heating capacity of 17000 BTUs and a single-pole thermostat with a 5000w power motor.
- Easy tilt design
- Adjustable louvers
- Includes a mounting bracket
- 240v, 30-amp unit
- May not be easy to shut off
The Dimplex garage space heater has a strong, durable steel exterior with an epoxy powder to prevent abrasion and fading. It has a 4000watts motor with 13648 BTU heating capacity and a double pole built-in thermostat with a temperature range of 48 to 09ºF. It has a fan for even distribution of hot air that uses residual heat for reduced energy consumption. It heats quickly and is ideal to use in a garage or shop.
- Includes six-foot cord
- Versatile mounting brackets
- Automatic temperature control
- Fan delay feature
- May not have a standard plug fitting
How To Choose The Right Heater For 500sft?
These are some considerations to keep in mind when buying a heater for a 500sft room.
- Sizing charts and calculators:You can refer to the heating chart for the number of watts or how much heating is required for various room sizes. Ideally, a 500sqft room will require a 4000w motor. A BTU calculator can tell you about the amount of heat required in the room and the passages.
- Room insulation: Rooms that are heavily insulated require lesser heating power. Usually, one square feet area requires 10w power, but an insulated room can do with 7.5w.
- Ceiling height and windows: The general rule adhered for heating measurements takes an average ceiling height of eight feet. If your ceiling is lower or higher, your heating requirements will vary accordingly. Windows usually are responsible for a loss of heat of 25%. Take these factors into consideration when buying the heater.
- Outside temperature: If the outside temperature is freezing, the heating drops pretty quickly. It also takes longer to heat the room. If you stay in a place where the temperature falls below 20⁰C, increase your heating calculation to 15w per sq. ft.
- Safety measures:The heater should have a thermostat for temperature control and auto power-off when overheating and tip-overs.
Why Trust MomJunction?
We have listed the above best heaters for a 500 square feet room keeping in mind your requirements and after an extensive study of their features. With their instant heating mechanisms, adjustable thermostat, quick dispersion, and low-noise functions, these heaters can make your home comfortable in winters. We have also gone through many customer reviews to list the pros and cons of each product. There is also a buying guide to assist you in making an informed decision.
Room heaters are essential to keep you cozy and warm during winter. Space heaters are a great way to heat a mid-size room and maintain the temperature to a comfortable level. Compare the features of different heaters for 500 square feet and pick the best one suitable for your room.