When the winters are approaching, staying warm and cozy is the top priority. With the best heater for baby room, you and your little ones will stay comfortable. Room heaters make you feel protecting you from the freezing climates outside your home and also help you have a good night’s sleep. Managing the temperature for a baby room can be challenging because only an optimal room temperature will benefit the little one. Read through the post to understand the safety measures while using heaters, a list of top heaters, and factors to consider when buying them.
Safety Tips While Using Heaters For Baby Room
Listed below are a few safety tips to follow while using room heaters.
- Read the manual for model-specific instructions and information on your room heaters.
- Experts recommend not to use a room heater while sleeping as it could lead to fire accidents. Warm the room before and switch it off while sleeping.
- Never leave the heater unattended in the baby’s room. It is safe to use the heaters under supervision.
- Ensure the heater carries a safety certification label from independent testing organizations. It should be compliant with the UL mark from Underwriters Laboratories, the ETL label from Intertek, or CSA International certification.
- The baby’s room must have a smoke detector, which should be tested frequently.
- Plugin the heater directly into the socket; avoid using extension cords as that could overheat the heater, resulting in a fire.
- Do not plugin other appliances with the heaters.
- Avoid room heaters that use fuel such as paraffin, gas, or kerosene to prevent hazardous health effects.
- Maintain a separate thermostat alarm to ensure that the baby’s room is not overheated.
- Place the heater at a minimum distance of three feet from curtains and bedsheets.
- Check-up for damages regularly and thoroughly.
- Do not let the babies play near the heaters.
- Carefully inspect the heaters for any loose connections, damaged plugs before each use. Avoid using in case of any damage.
- Install the heaters in proper places and avoid placing them near doorways or frequently used areas to prevent accidents.
- Place the heaters on a flat surface. If placed on an uneven surface, there are chances of overheating and starting a fire.
- When not in use, the heaters should be unplugged and stored safely.
Our Top Picks
10 Best Heaters For Baby Room
The Lasko Ceramic Heater makes an ideal option for the baby’s room with its elongated ceramic parts and safety features. It comes with a built-in oscillating fan that distributes warm air throughout the room. The heater offers up to 1500W of heating power. It is slim, compact, lightweight, and portable.
The digital display screen enables effortless operation where you can select temperatures in Celsius or Fahrenheit. The remote control helps adjust the temperature, oscillation, and timer, set between one hour and eight hours. The room heater automatically shuts down in case it gets overheated and is fire-safe. Check out this YouTuber’s review of this product.
- Wireless remote
- Digital display
- Cool exteriors
- Small but effective
- Does not have a tip-over protection
Enjoy instant heating with the Air Choice Electric Radiator Heater, which provides 250 Sq Ft coverage. This oil space heater is designed with an adjustable thermostat that helps maintain the room’s desired temperature. The device is equipped with three different modes: low 600w, mid 900w, and high 1500w to adjust the desired temperature as per the room size with a remote. Unlike other heaters, this heater comes with a no fan design which helps avoid dust blow. It automatically shut off when it reaches a maximum temperature of 122℉ or when the device tilts over 45°. LED digital display allows you to know the temperature and heating mode. You can also check this video out for a brief review of the product.
- Tip-over safety
- No-fan design
- Dual-safety protection
- Quick heating
- Not suitable for a large room
With 1500Ws of heating power and seven fins, this oil-filled radiator heater with a digital thermostat heats the room effectively. It comes with an elegant control panel, soft-touch buttons, and a digital display. Three heating options of 600, 900, 1500 watts, and Eco mode are available for added comfort. It comes with a remote control, a 24-hour timer, and an adjustable temperature between 40°F and 95°F. If you need more convincing, feel free to take a look at this YouTuber’s video on the merits and demerits of the product.
- Hassle-free operation
- Adjustable heat settings
- Child-lock function
- Caster wheels
- Panel gets too hot to touch
- May not be ideal for a small room
Air Choice Space Heater with remote and one-hand design provides a unique room heating experience. The portable ceramic heater comes with three selection modes for fan, warm and hot winds. This heater has a remote control with sensitive and long-distance sensing features and has a timer feature ranging from one to twelve hours. The adjustable thermostat can be used in three different power modes and has an oscillation of 120-degree. When the device is overheated, it shuts off automatically. Also, you can adjust the temperature between 50°F and 95°F.
- Heats up quickly
- Noisy fan
- Uses more power
The Vornadobaby Heater is built with a baby’s safety in mind. It comes with a curved surface and does not have sharp edges that could hurt a child. The device has an elegant design that adds beauty to the baby’s room. It has a noiseless operation, a child-safety button, locking controls, and sensors that shut down after reaching the required temperature.
- Adjustable thermostat
- Cool-touch outer surface
- Tip-over protection
- Auto shut-off
- Five-year guarantee
- Suitable only for small-sized rooms
Asterion Portable Office Heater comes with a tall, rectangular body, standing about 13 inches tall, and a flat rounded bottom suitable for small spaces. It has an adjustable 72-degree oscillation, so you can fix the direction you need. The digital LED display screen indicates the running mode and temperature. The timer can be adjusted from 0.5 to 24 hours.
- Programmable thermostat
- Effective heat distribution
- Easy to operate
- Handles for easy portability
- Overheat protection
- Tip-over protection
- Suitable only for small to medium-sized rooms
- Temperature setting could be problematic
Equipped with PTC heating technology, this personal heater warms the area quickly and uniformly. It has a two-in-one function and can also be used as a standard electric fan. The heater features a 45-degree oscillating design, allowing equal distribution of air. The heater includes dust filters, an LED indicator, built-in handles, a power switch, and a tip-over switch. The heater automatically turns off if it tips over or overheats.
- Compact and powerful
- Easy-to-operate small buttons
- Cleaning made easy
- Low-noise level
- May not be ideal for daily use
- Safety issues
The Aikoper Radiator Space Heater uses convection heating technology and produces a large amount of radiant heat with a low surface temperature.
With rustproof steel, permanently sealed oil compartment, ABS flame-resistant material, tail fin separation, tip-over, and overheat protection, this heater is safe to use. Built with an energy-saving and smart thermostat, it has three heating modes (600, 900, and 1500W) and an adjustable temperature range between 41°F and 95°F.
- Convection heating technology
- Noiseless operation
- Provides consistent warmth
- Four caster wheels and handles allow for easy maneuverability
- May have heating issues
- May not be suitable for heavy-duty use
Made from an efficient PTC ceramic heating element, this heater gets hot very quickly. This small heater is ideal to use for personal spaces. It emits low noise and is convenient to operate. It features overheat and thermal fuse double protection, tip-over auto shut-off feature, and flame-resistant material, making it safe to use. The fuselage adopts imported quality ABS flame-retardant (V0 grade) housing.
- Quick and effective heating
- Compact design
- Portable and handy
- Easy operation
- Flame resistant material built
- There might be quality issues
- May not be suitable for bigger rooms
Numifun Infrared Space Heater uses a high-quality quartz heating element and a radiation wave heating method that quickly spreads the heat uniformly. It warms up the surroundings directly instead of merely blowing warm wind out. The device automatically adjusts the operating power depending on the room temperature. There is an adjustable heat setting to conserve fuel and keep the room warm and includes carrying handles, overheating, and tip-over protection.
- Simple, short-range heater
- Noiseless infrared heater
- Low power consumption
- Users might face thermostat issues
- Gives peculiar chemical odor
How To Choose Right Heater For Baby Room?
Consider the below points while choosing a heater for the baby’s room.
- Type: Ceramic heaters, also called convention heaters, are commonly used for heating a single room and take time to heat the given space. Radiant heaters work well for spot heating, while infrared space heaters use infrared quartz bulbs as heating agents. Micathermic heaters are hybrid models and a combination of convection and radiant heaters.
- Design: There are two types of heaters – floor heaters and personal heaters. Floor heaters are space-saving, compact, vertical, and portable, whereas personal heaters are used to warm up small spaces and are meant for specific needs. Select a design that does not tip over.
- Programmable thermostat: A thermostat regulates the working duration of the room heaters. It helps set the required temperature, with most heaters having high to low settings.
- Heater size and heating capacity: The heater size depends on the size of the room. Small heaters are designed to heat only a tiny space, whereas larger heaters can quickly warm the entire room but consume more energy.
- Timer: This feature allows you to set the period for running the heater at a specific time. Once the time is up, the device automatically shuts down to prevent overheating and save energy.
- Remote control: This device gives easy access and control from a distance to change the settings or turn on/off.
- Noiseless operation: Room heaters with fans are noisier than the ones without fans. Among the ones available, micathermic heaters are noiseless. When using a heater for the baby’s room, it is advisable to go in for a noiseless one as a noisy heater can disturb the baby’s sleep.
- Safety features: One of the essential factors while using heaters for the baby’s room is to install a heater recognized by independent testing labs, such as UL (Underwriters Laboratory), ETL (Intertek), or CSA (Canadian Standards Association) to validate that the heater meets voluntary safety standards.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna is a product writer who focuses on baby products and electronics. Being a mother herself, she ensures the products she recommends are reliable by going through numerous user reviews. In this post, she enlists the best heaters for a baby’s room and explains all the necessary safety precautions to be taken while using such heaters. She has also included a buying guide to help you make the right decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What type of heater is best for a baby’s room?
You may choose a heater depending on specific factors. For instance, a humidifying heater can be an apt choice for your baby’s room if you wish to maintain a healthy humidity level. You may choose an oil heater if your area experiences frequent power cuts, as oil heaters help maintain an optimal room temperature for a longer time than other heaters. Moreover, the best heater for a baby’s room is one that is safe.
2. How do I know if my baby is cold or warm enough at night?
Touch the nape of your baby’s neck or the hands and feet to check if they are cold or warm to the touch. If they are cold, consider adding one additional layer of clothing to keep them comfortable.
3. What is the best temperature for a sleeping baby?
It is important to let your baby sleep in a room with an optimal temperature. Experts suggest that a comfortable room temperature for babies should range between 68 and 72°F (1).
When the weather gets chilly, your child’s room needs a heater for optimal warmth and comfort. It helps when the thermostat is programmable, and the heater comes with a timer so that you can easily set hours of its operation. However, the heater should not be loud as it may disturb your baby’s slumber. You can choose a remote-controlled one for more control to operate the heater from a distance. However, various safety precautions must be taken when using a heater in a baby’s room. So, read the instructions carefully before installing one.
- What is the best room temperature for a sleeping baby?
- 9 Best BaByliss Hair Straighteners
- Best Baby Milestone Blankets
- Best Space Heaters For Bathroom
- Best Infrared Heaters