Your child might just outgrow the phase of playing with a manual helicopter. They want something more. They want a real flying toy helicopter. Also, if the child controls this flying copter, then their joy would be immense.
They would love to have a remote-controlled helicopter. A remote-controlled helicopter flies in the air, and its movements can be controlled through a controller. While parents are likely to be skeptical about the safety of such flying toys, it can be said that the new-age toy copters are child-friendly.
In this post, MomJunction guides you on buying remote-controlled helicopters for kids and shares a list of the best remote-controlled helicopters you can consider for your child.
How To Choose A Helicopter For Kids?
You may keep the following points in mind before buying a helicopter for kids:
- Types of helicopter: Kids fancy remote-controlled helicopters, but it is not a suitable toy for children below the age of eight years. Some manufacturers even recommend their toys for children above the age of 12 or 14. Therefore, check the manufacturer’s recommended age.
- Complexity of movement: The most basic remote control helicopter comes with just two channels that are forward and backward movement. Advanced models can perform complex stunts such as a backflip or a nosedive. Choose a type as per your child’s expectations.
- Ease of replacement of parts: A toy helicopter has to withstand multiple crashes when your child is learning to control it. Several toy helicopters come with a provision to replace damaged components with a spare that can be bought separately. Therefore, you may want to choose a helicopter with replaceable parts.
- Power source: Most helicopters run on rechargeable batteries that can be charged using the controller. However, a few helicopters require you to fit the batteries in the helicopter, which increases the weight of the helicopter. There may be some differences in how high the helicopter could fly depending on its type of battery. You can check the specifications of a helicopter to learn more about it.
It is essential to stay safe when playing with flying toy helicopters, whether indoors or outdoors.
Safety Tips And Precautions
These inputs help make playing with helicopters safe:
- Age: Remote-controlled helicopters are fancied by kids but it is not a suitable toy for children below the age of eight years. Some manufacturers even recommend their toys for children above the age of 12 or 14. Therefore, check the manufacturer’s recommended age.
- Safety in the fly zone: If you are flying the helicopter indoors, then keep it away from breakable objects. Make sure there are no pets or people who may be prone to injury due to the flying toy. When flying outdoors, do not fly over private properties, government establishments, or anywhere it could be punishable or an offense. It is best to fly the helicopter in public areas like a beach or a park or a private garden.
- Provide guidance: Do not leave the child alone when they are playing with the helicopter until they master the controls. Initially, make sure there is an adult around guiding the child in using and controlling the helicopter.
- Mind their steps: It is crucial for you to teach the child to mind their steps while flying the helicopter. Most children get so involved in looking at the flying object (be it a kite or a helicopter) that they do not focus on their path. If they mistakenly step onto a boulder or a pit or something uneven, they might end up with injuries. In the next section, we present a list of the best helicopters to consider for your child.
9 Best Helicopter For Kids
1. Cheerwing S107/S107G Phantom 3CH 3.5 Channel Mini RC Helicopter with Gyro
It comes with three-channel infrared controls that enable forward, backward, left, right, up and down movement. Its gyroscope technology helps to keep it stable in flight and makes it easy to maneuver. The sturdy metal body protects against breaking in case the helicopter crashes.
- Gyroscope technology ensures stability
- Offers trim control, which improves aerodynamic stability
- Durable build
- Battery and remote do not last long
- Unable to withstand the slightest gush of air
2. Tenergy Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter
This helicopter comes with a built-in gyroscope that ensures the stability of the helicopter, thereby reducing chances of crashing. It has a coaxial rotor and a single rear rotor for precise movements so that the helicopter moves exactly in the direction the child wants it to fly. Its metal body is sturdy but still lightweight to take an easy flight.
- Small as the size of your palm
- Available at an affordable price
- Easy to learn and control
- Replacement parts readily available online
- Reasonably durable
- Comes in five color options
- Makes a lot of noise
- Battery is not long-lasting
- Can be tough to control for a novice
3. Syma S111G 3.5 Channel RC Helicopter with Gyro
If the child has absolutely no experience flying helicopters, then this product is for them. It comes with a brushed motor and runs on a simple lithium polymer battery. These features give this indoor helicopter well-balanced characteristics.
- Uses gyro technology
- Easy to fly and control
- Takes stable flight indoors
- Highly durable
- Suitable for kids as well as adults
- Batteries die out too soon
- Wheels tend to bend easily
4. Syma S107G 3 Channel RC Radio Remote Control Helicopter with Gyro
This ready-to-fly, three-channel helicopter moves up, down, backward, forward, left and right. Its strong metal body can easily withstand crashes. It is simple to fly and control. Most suitable for indoor flying.
- Moves with stability due to gyro technology
- Highly responsive to remote control
- Makes accurate movements
- Long-lasting battery power in a single charge
- Value for money product
- Offers trim control for better aerodynamic stability
- Does not work well under direct sunlight or near an air-conditioner
- Battery’s overall life may be too short. Needs to be replaced too often
5. WL 4CH 2.4GHz Mini Radio Single Propeller RC Helicopter Gyro V911 RTF
If you are looking for an outdoor helicopter, then this advanced lightweight remote-controlled copter might be what you want. It is designed to fly indoors as well as outdoors. This sturdy helicopter is lightweight but can still move easily even in windy weather. It moves easily in all directions and hovers with good stability.
- Remote control comes with an LCD display to enable better navigation
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor flying
- Long-lasting battery
- Well-built and durable
- Box contains an extra set of blades
- Not 100% impact resistant
- Tail rotor motor does not perform effectively
6. Syma S109G 3.5 Channel RC Helicopter with Gyro
It comes with an infrared remote control and runs on lithium-polymer battery. This helicopter for kids is designed for indoor flights and comes with exciting features like LED lights for dim-light flying. It can fly over a distance of about eight meters.
- Three-axis gyroscope ensures high performance
- Flexible propeller blades, which are resistant to damage
- Easy to operate
- Realistic military helicopter design
- Large LED lights
- Short battery power
- Flies a bit slower than several other remote-controlled helicopters
- The throttle is sensitive and will require some practice
7. Blade E-flite mCX2 RTF
This remote-controlled coaxial helicopter comes with a dual flying motor. It offers good stability and control, which makes it ideal for beginners. Also, it is durable enough to withstand multiple crashes, so don’t worry about your child smashing it to the ground or against a wall.
- Sleek and sturdy body
- Flashing LED lights
- The servo motor helps in better control
- Lightweight and user-friendly
- Most components are replaceable
Sturdy build Cons:
- Some buyers received boxes with parts rather than the toy
- Rotors and engine components tend to lose their efficiency over time
8. Wltoys V913 Remote Control Helicopter with Gyro
If your child is a pro at flying helicopters, then this model makes a suitable choice for them. This highly sophisticated copter can move in various directions, hover at one place, and also do a 360-degree rotation. It has good stability and easily moves even when windy.
- Stable flight due to gyro technology
- Wind resistant
- Four-channel modes for better control
- Strong build and durable
- Replacement parts are easily available
- Some buyers noticed a time-lapse in the movement of remote control keys and the response of the helicopter
9. WLtoys Large V912 4CH Single Blade RC Remote Control Helicopter With Gyro RTF
This toy helicopter comes with 3D action and side flying. It comes with a flying time of around eight minutes, and the toy can easily cover a distance of about 150 meters. The LED light in front of the copter makes it all the more exciting to fly it in the dark.
- Agile and easy to operate
- Relatively large in size
- Good sturdy metal build
- Controller comes with multiple modes
- Works well even in windy weather
- The helicopter drops to the ground without warning when the battery runs out of power
- Battery takes almost an hour to recharge
- Motor and rotor tend to lose their efficiency quickly
Playing with remote-controlled helicopters can be great fun for children. Initially, it may be difficult to control the copter, but once the child gets the hang of it, they would not like to stop. There are numerous models available in the market. But if this is your child’s first time with a helicopter, then you could opt for a simple and low-priced helicopter with fewer control channels. Once your child learns to maneuver the flying toy, then you can upgrade to a sophisticated model.
Did you buy any of these products for your child? Let us know about it in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.
Latest posts by Ratika (see all)
- 11 Best Bike Trailers To Buy For Kids In 2019 - October 4, 2019
- 9 Best Electric Cars To Buy For Kids In 2019 - October 3, 2019
- 21 Best Science Books To Buy For Kids In 2019 - October 3, 2019
- 9 Best Baby Bedding Sets To Buy In 2019 - September 26, 2019
- 9 Best Helicopters To Buy For Kids In 2019 - September 26, 2019
- 13 Best Cooking Kits To Buy For Kids In 2019 - September 16, 2019
- 14 Easy And Delicious Finger Foods Ideas For Baby Shower - December 19, 2016
- Post Adoption Depression: 10 Reasons Why You Are Not Happy - December 7, 2016
- 10 Agonizing Signs Of An Emotionally Unavailable Husband - October 24, 2016
- 6 Ways To Feel Young Even After Being A Mother - June 20, 2016