When reading a book or making notes, having a highlighter pen can help you be more organized and productive. Here’s our list of the best highlighter pens that you can add to your stationery collection. Highlighter pens let you underline or highlight what you deem important and might want to come back to later. They make sure you don’t miss out on something crucial before the exam.
Highlighter pens are available in many colors, and you can incorporate a color scheme to organize your notes better. These pens also come in handy while working on projects, DIY crafts, doodles, and more. So, browse the list to find some suitable highlighter pens.
11 Best Highlighter Pens
1. Best Robust Design: Mr. Pen Store Highlighter
The pack has eight highlighter pens, all in decent shades to quickly highlight the background text. The pens have rounded, convenient nibs to glide across the paper. The markings do not give a shiny effect and make it easy to read. They include a sharpener to provide the nib with an appropriate shape.
- Doesn’t bleed through any paper
- Doesn’t dry out even when left uncapped
- Robust design
- Pen-style highlighters look attractive
- Suitable for color coding and journaling
- Easy to hold
- Little of the gel may flake off on the pages
2. Best Easy-Glide: Sharpie Pocket Highlighters
With 12 pens, the Sharpie highlighter pen set can meet the need of someone who looks for assorted colors. It has a pointed chisel tip to raise one side of the tip a little high. These pens are easy to hold and light in weight. There is a smear guard protection to prevent smears and smudges in highlighted parts.
- Easy-glide feature
- Ink dries fast on the page
- Vivid, high contrast colors
- Easily fits in pockets and bags
- Can run out of ink even before the tip is worn out
3. Best Fluorescent Colors: Amazon Basics Chisel Tip
Amazon Basics highlighter is suitable for broad highlighting and fine underlining. The set includes super-bright fluorescent colors, including yellow, pink, blue, green, orange, and purple. The pen-shaped designs provide a comfortable grip and reduced fatigue. The cap is removable and has a built-in clip to attach to a pocket or book for easy portability.
- Does not bleed
- Easy to read
- Ink flows consistently
- Durable and long-lasting
- Bright colors
- Ink smears when highlighted on ink
4. Best Non-Toxic: BIC Brite Liner Highlighter
BIC highlighter is non-toxic, safe, and sustainable. Ideal for home, schools, and office use, the pen is known for its anti-drying properties. The ink stays wet even when the cap is left off for up to eight hours. It has a chiseled top for broad highlighting and fine underlining. The convenient pen-shaped design is comfortable to hold. Also, you can attach it to a pocket or notebook.
- Doesn’t have any bleeding issues
- Ink flow is consistent
- Versatile tip
- Vibrant colors
- Might leak a little if you do not store them standing up
- Pink highlighter can be a little dull
5. Best Instant Drying: Zeyar Highlighter
Zeyar pens come in lilac, blush, peach, turquoise, mint, and banana shades to give a visible, clear appearance. The ink is water-based and certified to conform to non-toxic standards. These are easy to hold. The product emphasizes handwritten or printed texts without leaving any shadow on the next page.
- Chisel tip
- Flat body, larger volume
- Bright colors that are soft and pretty
- Instant drying ink
- Might not last longer
6. Best Vibrant Colors: Avery Hi-Liter Pens
The desk-style highlighter, Avery, comes in 12 assorted repetitive colors. You can use these vibrant-colored ink pens for artistic sketching besides underlining the text. The ink does not dry quickly when left uncapped for up to one week. It does not bleed through the papers that make them suitable for versatile use.
- Helps your notes look neat and clear
- Ink dries quickly on the paper
- Durable, versatile tip
- ACMI-certified non-toxic pen
- Safe for kids
- Does not include many colors
7. Best Versatile: Zebra Pen HIghlighter
The double-ended highlighter has two tip sizes in a single frame. It is a pack with ten wide color variations. There are mild, non-toxic colors to give unique results and effects. The pens come in a reusable model storage case allowing easy storage. They are travel-friendly and portable. While the finer tip provides consistent lines, the broad chisel tip gives thick strokes.
- Water-resistant pigment ink
- Excellent layering and blending
- Versatile and user-friendly
- Cap indicates highlighted color
- Translucent ink
- Provides pleasing visual effects
- Does not include a black marker
8. Best Smear-Proof: Javapen Chisel Tip Pens
The Javapen set has six rainbow pastel colors that attract the children. It includes mild pink, mild orange, mild yellow, mild green, mild blue, and mild purple that looks easy on the eyes. The ink is smudge- and smear-proof because it dries quickly. You can use this pen on inkjet printouts, newspaper prints, and handwritten notes.
- Looks similar to traditional pens and are easy to hold
- Bright, see-through colors make visibility better
- 4mm tip moves smoothly on the paper
- Useful for coloring books, doodling, and comics illustration
- Might not last longer
9. Best Lightweight: Cryola Take Note Highlighters
Cryola’s colors are vibrant, smart with 12 ultra-fine tips. They can create thick and thin lines. The tips are flexible with easy curve drawing ability. The dual-side pens can help you make great doodling and are a perfect companion for any artist hidden within you.
- Easy to hold
- Helps you remember easily
- Light in weight
- Does not smudge or smear on most papers
- Does not bleed on the other side of the paper
- Can dry out fast
10. Best Waterproof: Writech Retractable Highlighters
Writech highlighters come in six assorted vintage colors and are non-toxic. Ideal for office and school works, these pens are light and comfortable with a good grip. The pens are child-friendly. Going creative an extra edge, you can use the highlighters to design the greeting cards, projects, doodling, and other needs.
- Does not produce any odor
- Water-proof nature
- Harmless on clothes and skin
- Ink never leaks out
- Can dry out soon
11. Best Compact: Arteza Highlighter Pens
The Arteza highlighter pens are 12 bright yellow markers. Useful for journaling, notes, and book-reading, they are versatile, smooth, and flow consistently. These are light in weight and compact; therefore, one can easily carry them in the pocket.
- Quick-drying and smear-resistant
- Visible ink supply
- Handy clip on the cap
- Easy gliding chisel tip
- Does not include multiple colors
What To Look For When Buying A Highlighter Pen?
Here are some features to keep in mind to choose the best highlighter pen
- Smudge-resistant: Quickly drying ink will help retain the highlights properly without forming and smudges.
- Color choice: Check your color requirements (light or dark) while choosing a highlighter pen.
- Pocket-friendly: Consider a convenient highlighter that allows you to carry it easily.
- Good tip: The highlighter pen’s tip plays an important role. A good tip should allow you to produce thick and thin lines.
- Resistance to ink-drying: There are times when you forget to put on the cap after use. A fine highlighter will have enough buffer time before the entire pen dries up.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to remove the highlighter ink from the fabric?
Apply a solvent, such as a hairspray, sanitizer, or rubbing alcohol to blot the mark gently. Follow it by soaking the garment in cold water mixed with salt. This helps to remove the highlighter ink from the fabric.
2. Are highlighters toxic?
Highlighters are rarely toxic. They do not cause any significant harm to the health of a person. However, it is better to monitor the child if they are using it for the first time. In case of any unusual symptoms after accidental swallowing of ink, it is advisable to consult a physician immediately.
3. How to remove highlights from paper?
There are two main ways of removing the highlights from the paper.
- Using rubbing alcohol: Use a soft paper towel and dip it in the rubbing alcohol to gently take off the color. Use some paper tissues below the marked page to help prevent the spread of ink to other pages or parts.
- Using lemon juice: Dip clean, soft paper tissue into lemon juice and rub it on the highlights.
Highlighter pens help draw attention to required sections of the page quickly. Choose smudge- and smear-free highlighter pen from the above list, which will be helpful in your project works, and more.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Highlighter pens make studying more fun as you can play with different colors as you highlight important information. They make the text appear more colorful and interesting and help you remember key points better as they enhance the pictographic memory. However, ensure to buy a highlighter pen that is water-resistant and does not smudge easily. The ink should be long-lasting, making it suitable for arts and crafts. Lastly, check the pen’s tip, and go for one with a good grip. We hope our list of the best highlighter pens can help you understand the available options.
- Best Landline Phones In India
- Best Portable Bluetooth Speakers India
- Best Hair Serum In India
- Best Blood Pressure Machine In India