It is true that even the most careful measures can fail at times. Be it human or product error, there is nothing scarier than discovering that your contraceptive measure has failed!
If you are not ready, the mere thought that you may be pregnant, despite all the precautionary measures you took, can be alarming.
Thankfully, all is not lost. There are effective home remedies that can actually help prevent an unwanted pregnancy. In this article, we will explore such options.
Best Home Remedies To Avoid Pregnancy:
If you thought herbs and plants were used only for cooking or beauty purposes think again! Certain herbs have been used time immemorial as safe contraceptive methods.
Below, we’ve put down a list of some home remedies to prevent pregnancy naturally, and they have minimal health risks associated with their use.
1. Parsley (Ajamoda):
Parsley is one of the most effective home remedies that is thought to prevent pregnancy naturally.
- This herb is easily available, and is best used in the form of herbal tea.
- Best of all, it doesn’t have any side effects associated with its use, considering that it is so mild.
2. Cotton Root Bark (Kapas ki jar ka chhilka):
The roots of the cotton plant stimulate the release of the hormone oxytocin, which is the hormone that causes childbirth – an effective way to prevent a pregnancy.
The dried root, cut in pieces, can be added to a cup of tea or brewed in hot water, and consumed around 2 times a day.
3. Angelica (Choraa):
This herb is also known as Dong Quai, and is believed to be another effective natural remedy for an unwanted pregnancy.
Angelica is thought to stimulate uterine contractions, which makes it most useful when consumed within 2 weeks of your last sexual intercourse.
[ Read : How To Avoid Pregnancy After One Month ]
4. Mugwort (Indian wormwood):
Mugwort is a leafy plant that resembles parsley.
- This plant, when dried, can be consumed with a cup of water to naturally prevent a pregnancy.
- Overdose of this herb is known to cause renal failure.
- Hence, make sure you limit the consumption of this herb or avoid it if you have any kidney problems.
5. Pennyroyal (Spearmint):
Pennyroyal has been used since ancient times to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
- The best way to use pennyroyal is to add dried bits of the herb to your tea, and start with a minimum dosage to reduce the risk of harmful effects, if any.
- It is important to seek medical advice before consuming this herb since it can also act as a potent poison if taken in the wrong dosage.
6. Blue Cohosh:
Blue cohosh is yet another herb that is thought to stimulate the release of oxytocin.
- Bits of dried blue cohosh can be brewed in the form of a tea and consumed daily for 2-3 times.
- It is better to seek medical advice before consuming this herb.
- Also, make sure you limit your intake to maximum 4 cups a day.
7. Black Cohosh:
Black cohosh belongs to the same family as blue cohosh, and naturally, is effective in preventing an unwanted pregnancy.
This herb is thought to work by stimulating the release of oxytocin which in turn, results in uterine contractions and prevents pregnancy.
[ Read : Safe Period To Avoid Pregnancy ]
8. Dried Apricots:
Dried apricots are also used to prevent conception in minor cases. But, they should not be eaten when you get positive pregnancy reports.
- Combine 100 gms of dried apricot, 2 tbsp honey and water. Boil this mixture for about half an hour and consume one cup of it.
- It controls birth and also cures excessive bleeding.
9. Dried Fig (Anzeer):
Taking dried fig after an intercourse will help in controlling the birth. It is a popular and best remedy.
- Consume 2 to 3 dry figs every day.
- It also helps in blood circulation
- Do not consume more of it since it can affect the stomach.
[ Read: Birth Control Patch ]
Papaya helps in birth control and unwanted abortion. Consuming it right after intercourse helps to prevent pregnancy.
- You should consume it at least two times a day for about 3 to 4 days.
- Avoid eating the fruit if you get a positive pregnancy test.
11. Queen Anne’s Lace (Wild Carrot Seeds):
It is an age-old remedy to prevent pregnancy. The wild carrot seeds work in controlling the birth.
- You can directly chew the wild carrot seeds
- You can also grind the seeds and soak one teaspoon in the water.
- Consume it one time a day for a few days with plenty of water.
12. Stoneseed Root:
It is an extremely powerful herb for birth control.
- Add stoneseed root in cold water and allow it to steep for several hours.
- Drink one cup of it for six months
This root was used since ancient times by women of the Dakota Indian tribes. They used to breathe the plant’s smoke as it promotes sterility. You should always consult the herbalist before you use it.
13. Jack In The Pulpit Root:
It is another powerful herb to prevent conception. It is less powerful than Stoneseed root and can prevent conception up to one week.
- Take one teaspoon of dried pulpit root in half a cup of water.
- Mix properly and consume the strained liquid.
Thistles is another powerful herb that was used by Quinault Indians. It promotes temporary sterility.
- Place the plant in boiling water till the water develops a bitter taste.
- Strain the liquid and then consume the bitter tasting liquid.
15. Smart Weed Leaves:
It is a commonly found weed that grows everywhere in the world. It contains three components namely rutin, gallic acid and quercetin that interfere with early pregnancy.
- Add 4 ounces of fresh weed leaves to 4 cups of boiling water.
- Strain the mixture and drink until you get your periods.
It promotes regular menstrual cycle and useful if your period gets late.
Rue contains two components – philocarpine and rutin that induce early abortion. It is an abortifacient and widely used in tea form.
- Take two teaspoons of herb and pour boiling water over the herb.
- Let the mixture steep for a while and consume after it turns warm. s
- Drink the tea 2 to 3 times a day.
17. Ginger Root:
Ginger, a common kitchen ingredient can help prevent unwanted pregnancies. It stimulates menstrual bleeding.
- Rinse ginger, grate it and add to a cup of boiling water.
- Boil for some more time and allow it to steep for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and then drink hot.
- Drink 2 cups of hot ginger infusion every day.
Neem is a common remedy for natural birth control. It avoids unwanted pregnancy by decreasing the sperm motility and thus prevents fertilization.
- It is used in three forms – leaves, oil and leaf extract, all these being successful.
- Neem oil is injected where the uterus and Fallopian tubes join. It kills sperms within 30 seconds.
- Neem tablets are also available, which when taken every day by men promotes temporary sterility.
- Neem also protects the female from vaginal diseases and STDs.
Buckwheat is a common herb that avoids conception. It contains a component, Rutin that prevents implantation.
- 500 grams of the herb is advisable to include everyday.
- It has no side effects and therefore a perfect choice of contraceptive.
Asafoetida from Iran origin is a pungent smelling herb.
Taking asafoetida juice every month, followed by water helps prevent pregnancy and induces abortion.
Wild yam takes at least one to two months to function as a birth control remedy.
- Take wild yam everyday, two doses a day.
- You should not skip any day since it delays the effectiveness of the herb.
Belonging to the giant fennel family, it is another plant used for birth control by ancient women. It is widely known for its contraceptive properties.
Cinnamon is not effective as other natural remedies for birth control. It works to avoid pregnancy only when taken for a long time.
It works to stimulate the uterus and induces abortion and miscarriage. You should consult a doctor before planning to take it as a contraceptive.
24. Vitamin C:
Vitamin C, a component of many herbs, functions as an emergency contraceptive. The ascorbic acid in Vitamin C hinders progesterone hormone from preparing the uterus.
Some women insert vitamin C tablet inside the vagina to promote the acidic environment. Sperms cannot survive in such an environment as they require alkaline conditions. However, this method is not practiced anymore.
Caution While Using The Above Remedies To Prevent Pregnancy:
- Advice of a professional medical practitioner is absolutely necessary if you’re looking for effective home remedies to avoid pregnancy.
- Not all herbs and foods used to avoid pregnancy are safe, and some of them may have side effects or risks associated with their use.
[ Read : Precautions To Avoid Pregnancy ]
We would recommend you to have a word with your doctor before your start consuming any of the above stated herbs. As wrong dosage or wrong herbs can cause complications to your health and in some cases cause infertility issues. So, first understand the right dosage for a safe and natural prevention.
Do share your views with us in the comment section below.
- Birth Control Shot – Everything You Need To Know
- Birth Control Ring – 5 Benefits & 10 Side Effects You Should Be Aware Of
- 6 Preventive Measures To Avoid Stillbirth
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- How To Treat Drool Rash In Babies? - June 5, 2015
- Is It Important To Wash Your Newborn Baby Clothes Before Using? - June 3, 2015
- The Ultimate Twin Pregnancy Care Checklist - May 21, 2015
- How Do Eating Disorders Affect During Pregnancy? - May 20, 2015
- Feeding Problems & Disorder In Infants – 11 Causes & Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of - May 15, 2015
- 8 Serious Causes Of Acne In Toddlers - May 13, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Eggs While Breastfeeding? - May 13, 2015
- Sleep Disorders In Toddlers – Types, Causes & Treatments - May 13, 2015