Get pretty waves or ringlets with the best hot rollers for thick hair and experiment with new hairstyles. These hot rollers can leave you with attractive, lustrous, and wavy tresses, instead of regular ones, which may not be quite as effective if you have thick hair. If you have a party or a professional event, these hot rollers can help you style your hair in different ways to make you look chic. So, take a look at the multiple options available to choose the right one for your hair.
8 Best Hot Rollers For Thick Hair
1. Best For Bouncy Curls: Conair Xtreme Instant Heat Jumbo And Super Jumbo Hot Rollers
The exclusive Conair set is a combination of four super large and eight large velvety hot rollers suitable for thicker hair. These results-driven large hot rollers not only give bouncy salon-like beautiful curls but also protect the hair against heat. The ceramic-filled plates of these volumizing heat protectants provide consistent heat required for proper hair curling. These jumbo hot rollers for thick hair heat up within a couple of minutes and can be held firmly using the complimentary roller clips. This detailed review video showcasing a tester’s experience can help you make an informed decision.
- Has an aluminum core for fast, even heating
- Gives voluminous curls
- Velvety covering helps protect hair from heat damage
- Comes in two different sizes
- May take a lot of time to curl
- Clips may be fragile
"I find these hair rollers exceptionally good at producing the desired curls. A slight adjustment of the roller direction also helps me achieve voluminous hair. This set is easy to use and travel-friendly."
2. Best For Damage Protection: BaBylissPRO BABNTCHV21 Nano Titanium Roller Hair Setter
The set of BaBylissPRO ceramic hot rollers for thick hair includes six small, six medium, and eight large rollers that can create both tiny and large bouncy curls. These heavy-duty, makeup artist-approved hot rollers for thick hair are lined with nano-titanium ceramic plates that use infrared rays to heat the hair, which is less damaging to hair as compared to other technologies.
- Uses far infrared rays to minimize heat damage
- Comes with both butterfly and metal clips
- Curls hair quickly
- Has three different sizes of rollers
- Rollers may get tangled in thick hair
- Might be a bit heavy
"I am impressed with the quality of these rollers. They heat up almost instantly. Besides giving me the right curls, they have made my hair frizz-free and shiny. Be sure to not overheat them."
3. Best Dual-Voltage: Caruso C97953 30 Molecular Steam Hair Setter
The set of Caruso steam hair rollers includes 30 rollers ranging from small to large. The steam-based and dual-voltage rollers have a sleek design and are easy to carry around, as the set comes packaged in a portable storage bag. These multi-sized hot rollers for thick hair have a lasting effect on the curls and are designed for use on all hair types. To know more about this product, check out the tester’s experience in this review video.
- Compact and easy to carry
- Offers flexibility
- Adds volume and shine to curls
- Curls last long
- Does not have an on/off switch
- Roller covers may not fit well at times
- May be heavy for short hair
"I have switched to these steam curlers. These curlers offer fast and smooth curls and are lightweight and way better than my ceramic rollers. I feel the set can be improved by including additional rollers of different sizes and clips."
Conair Xtreme Instant Heat Jumbo And Super Jumbo Hot Rollers
Best For Bouncy Curls
BaBylissPRO BABNTCHV21 Nano Titanium Roller Hair Setter
Best For Damage Protection
Caruso C97953 30 Molecular Steam Hair Setter
|Number of Items
|11.5 x 5.8 x 4.8 inches
|12 x 6 x 5 inches
|11.5 x 5.75 x 6.25 inches
4. Best Heat-Locking: Remington Ionic Conditioning Hair Setter
The 20-piece hot roller set locks in heat for an extended period, and the ionic conditioning in each roller helps reduce frizz and add shine to your curls. These salon-quality hot rollers for thick hair are color-coded, and the set includes three J clips that can securely hold the rollers in place while you curl your heart away. The professional-grade heat-activated hot rollers for thick hair also come with an indicator light that lets you know when the rollers are ready for use.
- Gets rid of frizz
- Clips have a strong and secure hold
- Uses thermal-wax core, which holds heat for a longer period
- Rollers have cool-touch ends to prevent the skin from coming in contact with the heat
- Roller tops may pop off after constant use
- May not be portable
"I love these rollers for their quick heat-up and finger-friendly design. However, they aren't as cool touch as I expected. The pins hold my hair well and these work best without a heat protection spray on my hair. As a word of caution, unplug the device after use as it has no auto-off feature."
5. Best For Natural Shine: John Frieda Body & Shine Smooth Waves
The classy set includes eight rollers, each measuring two inches. The long-lasting curls hot rollers for thick hair curl your hair swiftly yet perfectly, and the titanium ceramic lining reduces frizz and provides a natural shine to the hair. These results-driven tangle-free hot rollers get heated up within two minutes and provide long-lasting curls. The rollers come packaged in a compact and convenient storage pouch.
- Has jumbo rollers with advanced ionic conditioning
- Has variable temperature options
- Butterfly clips have a secure hold
- Adds volume to hair
- Curls may not last long
- Heat may not be enough for curling hair quickly
6. Best Easy-To-Use: T3 Micro Voluminous Hot Rollers
The Voluminous fast-heating hot rollers for thick hair come with tourmaline technology that uses infrared heat to let you achieve perfect curls. The aluminum core has a reasonable heat-up time and locks in well. These results-driven tourmaline hot rollers come with a ceramic core that gives you bouncy, shiny, and sorted curls in no time, making them the ideal styling tool for all occasions.
- Infrared technology minimizes heat damage
- Heats up fast and retains heat for a long time
- Comes with crease-free clips
- Has an insulated rim to make styling easier
- Curls may not last as long
- Clips may not hold the hair tightly
"As someone who values efficiency, I appreciate how swiftly these rollers heat up. I recommend switching between rollers to achieve the desired results. Leave them in—the longer, the better!"
7. Best Anti-Bacterial: CHI Smart Magnify Medium Ceramic Rollers
The hot roller set includes nine rollers that provide protection to the scalp and hair while styling the hair and giving you shiny, thick, beautiful curls. These makeup artist-approved protective hot rollers for thick hair also come with LED lights, allowing you to style your hair even in the dark. These easy-to-use hot rollers are lined with ceramic plates that hold heat for up to 15 minutes and enable styling without damaging the hair.
- Provides antibacterial protection to the scalp
- Compact and portable
- Gives tight curls
- Curls last long
- Product may not contain clips
- May be difficult to make the rollers stay put
"These rollers offer the convenience of drying and curling my hair simultaneously. They may seem large, but they provide the right fit and help me create beachy waves."
8. Best User-Friendly: Studio 35 Beauty 10 Piece Travel Curlers
The roller set includes ten rollers, each measuring one inch. The professional-grade rollers come with an indicator light and cool-touch tips for convenient handling. The set also includes two user-friendly clips that help in securing the rollers.
- Has a dual-voltage feature
- Compact and easy to carry
- Ends of the rollers are insulated
- Curls last long
- Indicator light may be inaccurate
- May not heat up fast enough
"I find these rollers perfect for travel—they are compact, lightweight, and heat up quickly. They cause minimal or no damage to my hair compared to my curling iron."
Types of hair rollers
Let us take a look at the various types of hair rollers.
- Hot rollers: The easy-to-use rollers come in a container that stores and heats the rollers.
- Foam curlers: These curlers do not use heat or electricity. They are used on slightly damp hair that can be blow-dried or naturally dried after the roller is set in with the help of fastening clips.
- Velcro rollers: These are made of plastic, with a Velcro attached to them. They just need to be rolled up and left to cool to give you long-lasting, gorgeous curls.
- Steam hair rollers: Steam hair rollers work on the same dynamics as heat rollers, except they use steam along with heat to create the super-curl effect on your hair.
- Flexi rods: Flexi rods do not require heat, steam, or electricity. The flexible curlers can be fit into any damp hair to create bouncy ringlets in a super healthy way.
- Heated rollers: These are usually used by professionals to create a maximum impact by applying heat to style those dreamy curls. Once they cool down, cascading curls will flow down your head.
- Ribbon curlers: The bendy rollers are comfortable to sleep on and contain a wire mesh where the hair can be separated and placed to create perfect curls.
- Magnetic rollers: They have magnetic clasps to hold wet hair in place.
- Brush hair rollers: These curlers contain built-in bristles that use a brush down technique to clasp the hair securely and give you wavy curls.
- Sponge rollers: These rollers help you to style wet hair into curls while sleeping and are super soft and convenient to sleep in.
How to use hair rollers?
To get gorgeous and bouncy salon-like curls, you may follow these steps.
1. Prep the hair
Before using a hot roller, preparing your hair for styling is essential as your aim should be to create minimum damage to your hair. Thus, spraying a setting spray onto your hair is very important. If you are using a non-heating device, make sure you damp your hair.
2. Knot them up
Divide your hair into sections and curl each section one at a time. The larger the sections of the hair, the looser and wavy the curls.
3. Set the time
Read the label on the roller and follow the time mentioned. Make sure you do not overdo it.
Once the curls are set, remove the rollers and allow them to cool.
4. Shake it up
Free the curls and run your fingers through them. Loosening up the curls will give a more dramatic look to the hair.
5. Use a hair spray
After the curls are set, spray some hair spray to keep the hair set and frizz-free.
Alexandro Vasquez, a professional hairdresser and hair colorist, says, “It’s crucial to wash your hair to remove oil residues from serums, wax, and other oil-based products, as they can affect the results and potentially damage your hair with burning spots. If you are a beginner, always start with lower temperatures first and maintain a safe distance from your face and scalp–at least ten centimeters. Complete the process by using a quality hair serum or shine spray.”
Safety Tips While Using Hot Rollers
- Always use rollers with cooling tips.
- Use rollers on damp hair and not wet hair, as wet hair tends to break, causing hair loss and split ends.
- Use a heat resistant spray on the hair before using hot rollers.
- Before styling, wrap the ends of your hair in a damp tissue paper to protect them from heat.
How To Choose The Right Hot Rollers For Thick Hair?
- Go for titanium and thermal wax rollers as they generate less heat.
- Hot rollers with infra-red and ionic technology cause less damage to the hair-ends as compared to other hot rollers.
- Large hot rollers help in curling the hair quickly.
- A curler with silicon lining can give you long-lasting curls.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do hot rollers work on thick hair?
Yes, hot rollers do work on thick hair. You may choose jumbo rollers to get the best results. Also, remember to damp your hair or apply a setting spray before using hot rollers on thick hair.
2. Do hot rollers damage your hair?
With new-age technology and features such as ionic conditioning, silicone lining, and titanium lining, rollers may not be a hair hazard when used occasionally.
3. How long should you keep hot rollers on your hair?
This depends on the type of roller you choose. If it’s a foam-based, non-heated roller, you could keep it for 20 minutes or even overnight. If it’s a hot roller, then 10-15 minutes is ideal.
4. Will hot rollers give my hair more volume?
Hot rollers give a lot of volume to the hair if the hair is rolled from the base. After curling the hair, you could also use a hairdryer, which would do the trick.
5. Can I use hot rollers on wet hair?
Wet hair and hot rollers are a dangerous combination. It could damage the hair in the form of split ends or can burn your scalp due to the excessive steam produced.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is a product writer specializing in the beauty, fashion, and personal care segments. She enjoys recommending the right products to her readers and ensuring they have a seamless, stress-free shopping experience. In this article on the best hot rollers for thick hair, she highlights product options that can leave you with gorgeously wavy tresses before any party or professional event. Her review process involves performing extensive research into the features and benefits of each product and aggregating consumer reviews across several e-commerce websites.
Style your hair with hot rollers and get party-ready curls easily. Various curlers are available with different features to suit your requirements. If you’re looking for curls that stay intact for extended hours, pick one with silicone lining or options like the Remington Ionic Conditioning Hair Setter, which includes color-coded ceramic rollers that lock in heat. On the other hand, if you have thick and voluminous hair, a big curler or ones like the BaBylissPRO BABNTCHV21 Nano Titanium Roller Hair Setter, which includes rollers of all sizes, could be ideal. However, remember to use the best hot rollers with cooling tips and a heat-resistant spray to ensure your hair does not suffer damage, split ends, or breakage from frequent styling.
Infographic: How To Use Hair Rollers?
Finding the ideal hair-friendly rollers is half the job done. Using the rollers properly helps achieve the desired curly-hair look hassle-free while diminishing the chances of hair damage. Check out the following infographic to learn about the general process when using hair rollers.
- Best Hair Ties For Babies
- Best Hair Creams For Women
- Best Hair Masks For Dry And Damaged Hair
- Best Natural Hair Products For Kids