Unable to get your kid outdoors? Get them a hoverboard and see!
Hoverboards are transporters without handles and make excellent toys for indoor as well as outdoor physical activities. This trending and sophisticated toy is just what you may need to improve a child’s ability to balance their body. But not all hoverboards are made the same as they vary in weight, level of operation and size.
MomJunction brings you a list of 15 best hoverboards for kids. Choose the one that suits your child the most.
15 Best Hoverboards For Kids In 2020
1. TOMOLOO Hoverboard
It is a UL 2272 Certified product, which means that it meets the highest safety standards. The body is made of a strong and tough material that is heat-resistant and fire-retardant. It is Bluetooth enabled and comes with LED lighting. With a cruising speed of 12km/hr, it is perfect for a rider weighing 220lbs.
- It is lightweight.
- Comes with a Bluetooth enabled music speaker.
- It has an IPX4 rating that makes it resistant to water splashes.
- Perfect for kids as well as adults.
- Easy to ride on any terrain.
- Doesn’t come with a light adjustment option.
2. RipStik Ripster Caster Board
It is a smaller version of the RipStik classic. It has a shorter wheelbase that makes it ideal for kids. Its deck plate is removable and made of high-tech polymer. It also comes with high-performance ABEC 5 bearings and has high-grade 66mm urethane wheels.
- Lightweight and compact.
- Best suited for kids.
- Comes with rubber-padded steel torsion bar.
- No assembly required.
- Great foot control with a concave deck.
- Too small for teenagers.
3. Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard
This UL 2272 certified hoverboard comes with a 350W motor and offers a cruising speed of 8+ mph. It features a color bar display, LED battery power indicator, and two riding modes. It also comes with a fender bumper that protects against scratches and scrapes.
- Features the auto self-balancing feature.
- Comes with anti-slipping pads.
- Easy to ride and control.
- Built with Razor’s exclusive EverBalance technology that offers easy mounting and smooth ride.
- Available in various colors.
- Comes with a smart battery management system.
- Not water resistant.
- It is heavy.
4. Segway miniPRO
The body frame is made of aircraft-grade magnesium alloy that increases its durability. It comes with 800W dual motor and has a distance range of 12.5 miles with a maximum speed of 4.3mph with a charge time of 4 hours. The feet pad analyzes the body movements and maintains the body balance.
- It has height adjustable knee-pads.
- Suitable for riding on multiple terrains.
- It has shock absorbers to minimize the impact of riding on rough terrains.
- It has a Bluetooth app and LED lighting.
- Comes with anti-theft alarm.
- No adjustable LED light color options.
- A bit expensive.
5. SWEETBUY Hoverboard
This hoverboard has a stylish design accompanied by LED lighting. It comes with 6.5-inch vacuum tires and has a running speed of 6mph. Its unique design helps maintain balance, which makes it an excellent pick for children aged 7 to 11 years.
- Lightweight and sturdy.
- Ease of balance and ride control.
- It can take up to 220 lbs of weight,
- Available in multiple colors.
- Comes with a carry bag.
- Battery life is not very long.
- Good for beginners.
6. XPRIT Self Balancing Scooters/Hoverboard
It is a good hoverboard with an in-built Bluetooth speaker that is compatible with both Android and iOS. It contains a charger and a rechargeable battery and is ideal for 8 to 9-years-old kids.
- Can be used for one to 1.5 hours after a charging time of 1-2 hours.
- Climb uphill with an inclination of 15°.
- Flashy LED wheels that make night riding easier.
- Available in four colors.
- Not suitable for all terrains.
7. Swagtron Swagboard Pro T1
This is a self-balancing hoverboard that complies with all electrical safety standards. It comes with a 250W motor and a gear stabilization that ensures amazing control and downhill traction. It also highlights rubber bumpers, LED headlights, and battery indicators.
- It is equipped with the SentrySheild smart battery.
- It uses Safe Stop Technology that guides the rider to stop safely.
- Comes with two riding modes.
- It can ride up to 7 to 12 miles for a charging time of one hour.
- UL 2272 certified and offers accurate steering.
- ABS casing is not of superior quality.
- Performance is not good on rough roads.
8. Skque X1/I Series
This Bluetooth enabled LED light hoverboard complies with the UL 2272 safety regulations. Its motherboard is embedded with gyro sensors that enable a smooth ride. The bright LED lights offer a safe ride during the night. It has a professional charging system.
- It is available in three sizes and
- Comes with two motors of 350W.
- It has a short charging time.
- Durable and reliable.
- Takes up a load of up to 264lbs.
- LED lights only in the front and not at the back.
- No rubber foot mats on the edges to initiate self-balancing.
9. Swagtron Swagboard Outlaw T6 Off-Road Hoverboard
The T6 off-road hoverboard has a 12-mile range and a running speed of 12mph, with 10-inch rugged tires to support riding on rough terrain. Its in-built Bluetooth can play music from the phone. The hoverboard can handle a weight of up to 420lbs.
- It can be used over all terrains.
- Offers powerful performance.
- Comes with SentryShield lithium-ion battery.
- It can incline up to 30°.
- Incomparable traction.
- Offers controlled ride.
- It is heavy.
10. Swagtron Swagboard Vibe T580
It is a Bluetooth-enabled hoverboard with smart functions and powerful performance. It comes with two 200W motors and has a running speed of 7.5mph, with three riding modes. You can travel up to 8 miles on a single charge. Its lithium batteries need to be charged for 2 hours before riding.
- Lightweight and sturdy.
- It has a splash-proof design.
- Its 6.5-inch tires are durable and offer a smooth ride.
- It can take weight up to 220 lbs.
- Can incline up to 30 °.
- It comes with non-slip foot pedals.
- In-built speaker sound is not great.
- Speed is a bit on the lower side.
11. Felimoda Self Balancing Hoverboard
It is a UL 2272 certified self-balancing hoverboard that is ideal for both kids and adults. It comes with 300W dual motors and can be inclined at an angle of 15°. Its 6.5-inch wheels are equipped with LED lighting.
- Available in multiple colors.
- Its rugged tires make it perfect for all terrains.
- Comes with smart battery monitoring.
- Stops automatically if the rider steps off.
- Has explosion-proof tires.
- Comes with short-circuit and overheat protection feature.
- Battery drains quickly.
- Slightly heavier.
12. CHO Electric Smart Self Balancing Hoverboard
This hoverboard with self-balancing technology makes it safer and easier to ride. Its flashy LED wheels make it perfect for nighttime riding. It comes with in-built wireless speakers that can connect to a portable device. Its running speed is 6mph and comes with 6.5-inch vacuum tires.
- Available in multiple colors.
- Has a unique carbon fiber design.
- Safer for beginners as well as amateurs.
- Stereo speakers with excellent sound quality.
- Battery life is not long.
13. GOTRAX Hoverfly ION LED Hoverboard
This electric hoverboard comes with dual motors with a power of 400W and can run at the speed of 7mph. It features color LED lights in the wheels and the headlight. It can be used by kids and adults who weigh up to 200lbs. It is UL 2272 certified and complies with all the safety standards.
- Features a modern design.
- It has a self-balancing mode.
- A multi-terrain hoverboard.
- Comes with foot pads.
- Available in 8 unique colors.
- Comes with only one light color.
- Can travel 2.5 to 3.5 miles after charging for 4 hours.
14. EPIKGO Self Balancing Scooter Hover Self-Balance Board
It is a powerful hover balance board recommended for ages 13 and above. It comes with UL 2271 certified smart battery and a built-in two-hour fast charging technology, which makes it sophisticated. It can take a maximum weight of 240 pounds. Also, it comes with an IP56 rating that makes it water resistant.
- Easy maneuverability on all terrains.
- Offers more foot space and ride control.
- Built with two 400W, powerful motors.
- The board is strongly built.
- Great speed.
- Large wheels place the rider at a higher level of gravity, causing stability issues.
- It is heavy to carry.
15. CHO Spider Wheels Series Hoverboard
It is a flashy hoverboard that comes with cool LED lights and headlights to guide you through the path at night. It is designed with self-balancing technology and can be handled by kids aged between 10 and 12 years old. It has an in-built wireless speaker with excellent sound effects.
- Complies with the UL 2272 standards.
- LED lights are of high intensity.
- Perfect for beginners and advanced users.
- Travel a distance of 10km/hr with a charging time of 3-4 hours.
- Available only in limited colors.
Safety Tips To Follow While Using A Hoverboard
As a parent, you would worry that the child could fall and get injured while using a hoverboard. That is a legitimate fear, which is why you must ensure all safety measures are in place before letting your child use the hoverboard.
- Read the instruction manual to understand how to operate it.
- Follow all the safety rules, including the weight and age limits.
- Ask for help if you are unable to understand the manual instructions.
- Children should wear safety gear, including knee pads, elbow pads, and palm protectors to protect the joints from any impact.
- Do not charge the hoverboard overnight or leave it unattended while plugged.
- Hoverboards must always be used and operated under the supervision of an adult.
- Never use chargers other than the one that comes with the pack.
- Do not use the hoverboard if it gets heated up.
- If you see signs of damage such as fluid leaking from the battery, excessive heat, odor, sparking, or smoke from the hoverboard, then do not use it. Negligence can cause the hoverboard to catch fire.
For your child’s safety, it is essential to buy a high-quality hoverboard. Find out more about it next.
Things You Must Look For When Buying A Hoverboard
If you are planning to buy a hoverboard for your kid, then it is necessary to consider the following:
- Safety: Children tend to cross the speed limit in excitement. So, it is better to look for a hoverboard that has a slow speed and ensures their safety while riding.
- Smart features: A hoverboard with Bluetooth allows tracking of the child, updating the software, and streaming music.
- Weight: Make sure to check for the weight capacity of the hoverboards and if it is compatible with the weight of your kid.
- Battery life: The battery life should be good enough to keep your kid playing for a few hours. It is no good if you need to charge it for hours and the battery drains only after a few minutes of riding.
- Quality: The body of the hoverboard should be made of good quality material that ensures its stability and reliability.
- Portability: It should be compact and lightweight so that it can be easily carried to any place by the child.
Hoverboards are cool to use and fun too. But they can be dangerous when not used without safety gear or proper understanding of how they function. If they know how to ride, then a hoverboard could make an apt gift for a child. Older kids can use them to ride through the town or to the school too. How cool would that be!
Does your kid have a hoverboard? What is his/her experience with it? Share it with us in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.