If you have sensitive skin and are allergic to certain ingredients in a shampoo, then a regular shampoo may not be suitable for you. Using just any shampoo could lead to common issues such as rashes on the scalp, itchy scalp, or excessive hair fall. A good hypoallergenic shampoo can help you avoid these hair and scalp problems.
In this MomJunction post, we bring you an assorted list of 13 best hypoallergenic shampoos along with their pros and cons. Scroll through them and find a suitable shampoo for yourself.
Note: Each brand claims to have manufactured safe and effective hypoallergenic shampoos, but not all of them may be suitable for you. Therefore, it is always better to recheck them on your own by reading the labels thoroughly or by doing a small patch test. In case of any doubt, you may consult a dermatologist too.
13 Best Hypoallergenic Shampoos
It is formulated to maintain the pH level of the scalp. It is good to remove dirt, excess oil, and the shampoo build-up from the scalp, leaving the hair clean and soft in texture. The shampoo also controls oily scalp and helps remove dry flakes. It is free of gluten, sulfates, and betaine.
- It is dermatologically tested.
- It is free from parabens, dyes, fragrances, lanolin, and other preservatives.
- It is suitable for sensitive skin and all hair types and can be used by the entire family.
- It boosts volume and adds shine to the hair.
- It doesn’t lather much.
2. Winter blend
It is a refreshing shampoo that is made using five different types of mint oils. This hypoallergenic shampoo is made with 96% natural ingredients and has antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that help in improving blood circulation and healing scalp irritation. The cooling shampoo also retains the elasticity and shine of the hair.
- It is a cruelty-free shampoo and contains no parabens or sulfate.
- It is suitable for curly, wavy, and straight hair.
- Peppermint, eucalyptus mint, wild mint, spearmint, and bergamot mint oil in the shampoo help in cleansing and purifying the scalp.
- A hint of jojoba oil in the shampoo makes the hair soft and bouncy.
- It may not be suitable for extremely oily or dry hair. Best to check with a dermatologist before using this if you have any scalp issues.
This is a dermatologist-recommended shampoo for sensitive scalps. It can be used daily for cleaning the hair and scalp. The shampoo contains conditioning agents too, and it could be used for all kinds of hair. It is also known for maintaining the pH level of the skin.
- It gently cleanses hair and scalp.
- It is free from color, fragrance, and other ingredients that may irritate the scalp.
- It is formulated to maintain a pH balance.
- Not recommended for highly sensitive skin as it may lead to an itchy scalp for some.
This creamy, soft, and tender, shampoo is suitable for skin, hair, and scalp. It is one of the best hypoallergenic shampoos that cleanses excess oil, build-up, and any product residue from the scalp. It is a fragrance-free shampoo and contains no common irritants, parabens, and preservatives.
- It is made using a mild formulation.
- It can be used by children (2 years and above), teens, men, and women.
- It hydrates the hair and scalp.
- It is not a completely natural product.
It is one of the best shampoos for sensitive skin and is safe for all types of hair. This hypoallergenic shampoo is gentle and free from common allergens. It helps in cleaning, volumizing, and moisturizing the hair. This fragrance-free shampoo is also free from sulfates, dyes, alcohol, and parabens.
- It is a dermatologist-recommended shampoo.
- It is free from SLS, formaldehyde, artificial fragrances, salicylates, and gluten.
- It is made using a vegan formulation.
- It is suitable for color-treated hair too.
- It is not all-natural and contains some chemical additives.
This hypoallergenic shampoo is derived from plant-based ingredients and free from sulfates. This is a good shampoo for sensitive skin. It is also cruelty-free (not tested on animals), non-toxic, biodegradable, and gluten-free. It contains a hint of citrus and mint, which makes showering with it refreshing. The shampoo is formulated to give you healthier and stronger hair.
- It is developed by expert doctors and includes no harsh chemicals.
- Vitamin E and olive oil eliminate static and provide moisture to the hair.
- It is suitable for all types of hair.
- It contains tree nuts but doesn’t come with a ‘contains nuts’ warning. People with nut allergies are not recommended to use it.
This fragrance-free shampoo is gentle, safe, and effective for sensitive scalps. The shampoo cleanses the hair without eliminating the essential moisture. It also soothes and balances sensitive hair and scalp. It is free of sulfates, artificial colors, parabens, phthalates, and petrolatum.
- It is enriched with vitamin B5 and aloe vera.
- It adds shine to your hair and hydrates the hair too.
- It is suitable for color-treated hair.
- It doesn’t lather much.
- It has minimal scent or fragrance.
This is a gentle and mild shampoo that is suitable for sensitive scalp. It cleanses the hair and scalp and provides nourishment to the hair. The shampoo is infused with chamomile, which soothes your scalp and makes the hair healthy.
- It is a vegan shampoo, which is also color-safe and paraben-free.
- It is dermatologist-tested.
- It has no dyes, parabens, gluten, and fragrance.
- It helps in restoring the radiance of the hair.
- Although it says fragrance-free, it gives out a mild fragrance, which may not suit anyone.
- It may make the hair dry for some with highly sensitive hair and scalp.
This hypoallergenic shampoo is ideal for healthy and soft hair. It can be used for any type of hair to retain the shine and natural color. It is even good for strengthening the hair.
- Sunflower and henna extracts help in protecting the hair color.
- It helps in strengthening the hair.
- It is suitable for natural and dyed hair.
- Some thought it changed the hair color a bit too much.
- Not entirely organic.
It is a medicated and dermatologist-tested shampoo that prevents itching, scaling, and flaking due to dandruff. This shampoo cleanses the scalp and hair effectively, leaving the hair shinier and softer. It contains traces of essential oils that help in nourishing and cleaning the impurities.
- It contains lavender and tea tree oil to maintain healthy hair, and vitamin B5 helps in cooling and moisturizing the hair.
- Advanced protein in the shampoo helps in controlling the frizz and keeps the hair bouncy.
- It is good to treat dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis.
- Slightly expensive
This gentle, hypoallergenic shampoo for kids is good to cleanse delicate hair and to give it long-lasting shine. It is free from sulfates, phthalates, and parabens to maintain the toddler’s healthy and growing hair.
- It is an ophthalmologist and pediatrician-tested product.
- The tear-free formula makes the shampoo as gentle as water.
- Silk protein and argan oil provide softness and shine to the baby’s hair.
- It has a strong smell and may not be suitable for some babies.
- It contains some chemicals.
It is a safe and effective hypoallergenic shampoo for delicate hair. It is clinically tested and makes the baby’s hair shiny and soft. The shampoo comes with an advanced tear-free formula, making it suitable for babies. It is cruelty-free (not tested on animals).
- It is dermatologist- and pediatrician-tested.
- It is free from phthalates, parabens, and quaternium-15.
- It is suitable for a baby’s delicate scalp and hair.
- It is not 100% natural, contains chemical additives too.
This toxin-free shampoo is made with natural fruit and botanical extracts that helps in treating dry and itchy scalp. It is vegan and cruelty-free and is formulated to meet the needs of children with delicate skin and hair. The fragrance of this shampoo is refreshing and light.
- It is free from dyes, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, parabens, and phthalates.
- It contains natural fragrance and plant-based cleansers.
- It comes with a re-closable pump.
- The fragrance may be too strong for some.
What Is So Special In A Hypoallergenic Shampoo?
A lot of shampoos are made with ingredients that may cause allergy to some. But hypoallergenic shampoos are made without such common irritants. The common substances or agents that generally cause irritation to sensitive skin include added colors, fragrances, foaming agents, parabens, and other common allergens such as nuts, milk or eggs.
Not all people may be allergic to the same ingredients. Therefore, it is better to check the label on the shampoo for ingredients that may cause skin allergies to you. If you have a sensitive scalp or hair, you need to be cautious when picking up hypoallergenic shampoos too. In such cases, it is best to consult your dermatologist or physician and get their advice before picking up a shampoo.
How To Choose The Right Hypoallergenic Shampoo?
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when you are selecting the best hypoallergenic shampoo.
- Common irritants: Some of the common irritants that may cause allergy include botanical extracts (seed or flower extracts), sulfates, fragrances, gluten, and Cocamidopropyl betaine (coconut derivative). Most of the hypoallergenic shampoos are free from these, but you should still read the labels to ensure they are safe. Also, do not pick shampoos that have parabens, salicylates, phthalates, and phosphates.
- Hair type: You need to pick a shampoo that suits your hair type. There are a few shampoos that are specifically made for curly hair and a few are for straight hair. Check the labels and pick one that is good for your hair.
- Purpose: Some of you may need a hypoallergenic shampoo for volumizing your hair, while a few may require treating dandruff. So, choose a shampoo as per the intent too.
How To Know If A Hypoallergenic Shampoo Would Suit You?
You may have picked up the best hypoallergenic shampoo by keeping in mind the above points. In spite of that, the shampoo may not suit you. To stay safe, do a patch test to know whether it really suits you or causes any allergy.
- You may take a few drops of the shampoo and apply it either on your wrist or on the elbow.
- Do not lather the shampoo, just rub it on the skin for a few seconds.
- Cover the area with a patch or a bandage.
- Leave it for around 24 hours and wash away.
- Wait for around 72 hours to notice any reactions, such as rashes, itching, or reddened skin.
If you find no allergic reaction, then you may use it.
Next, we answer a few commonly asked questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is there any chance of hair fall reduction using a hypoallergenic shampoo?
If your hair fall is due to dandruff, then you may pick a hypoallergenic anti-dandruff shampoo. And if you think any specific ingredient in the shampoo is causing excessive hair fall, then choose a hypoallergenic shampoo that doesn’t have that substance.
2. Can hypoallergenic shampoo for adults be used for kids and vice-versa?
Ideally, no. Hypoallergenic shampoos manufactured for kids contain mild ingredients suitable for their delicate skin and hair, which may not work for adults. Similarly, hypoallergenic shampoos for adults may contain slightly strong ingredients, fragrances, or other chemical additives that may not be suitable for kids.
Do not just pick any shampoo just because it says hypoallergenic and comes in attractive packaging. Always read the labels first and check for any allergens and additives before adding it to the shopping cart. If you are still confused, go through the above list again and understand the pros and cons. Find the right hypoallergenic shampoo will not be that difficult.