The best ice packs for knee pain can go a long way in preventing your knees from hurting. While some of us might feel knee pain only during the colder months, some may experience it throughout the year. We can feel it while walking, getting up from sleep, or even standing.
Bothersome knee pain can affect the quality of one’s life. However, ice packs can do wonders for such pains, and that is why we have included a list of ice packs here. Have a look and choose the one that will suit you the best.
Our Top Picks
12 Best Ice Packs For Knee Pain
This ice pack can give you instant relief from pain. All you have to do is store it in a freezer that is set at 12° F (-11°C) and then apply it to the hurting knee. It will take only 30 minutes to help reduce pain.
- The flexible body can contour easily to accommodate any part of the body
- Helps treat fever, bruises, sprains and so on
- Non-toxic silica gel filling makes it absolutely safe to use
- Does not come with a fastening strap
- Seams tend to break open easily
Made of latex-free neoprene material, this ice pack wrap for the knee can be used as a hot and cold pack. It comes with three detachable Artic Flex gel packs, of which two cover the front area while one soothes the back of the knee. The cold gel can help reduce inflammation and swelling, while hot treatment can help improve blood circulation. For a more detailed review of this product, here’s a video.
- Designed to be used for both left and right knee
- Gel packs are reusable and leak-proof
- Comes with adjustable straps
- The cold packs may not last long
- Gel packs can leak if not used with care
If your doctor has advised you to try ice and heat therapy for relief from pain, then you can have a look at this knee brace. This ice pack is a gel pack that can be used as both a hot and cold pack. Its knee brace is adjustable so that you can wear it comfortably.
- Flexible ice pack enables use on the knee and even elbow
- Kneecap hole on knee brace allows snug fit while making movements easy
- Secure non-slip fit ensures convenient usage
- Durable design provides long-lasting protection without leaking
- Adjustable straps may not hold the pack in place, causing slippage
- The pack is too small to cover the entire knee for some
Made with N-Tex neoprene and stretchable material, this cold therapy knee pack with compression has Z-Grip closures that can hold multiple gel ice packs in place. Its reusable gel pack can be used for both cold and heat therapy. Here’s a review video summarizing the features of this product.
- Adjustable straps offer a customized fit
- Lycra pockets ensure that the gel pack remains firmly in place
- Anatomically designed to wrap around the knee and other parts of the body
- Easy to carry anywhere
- The brace has only one pocket to hold four ice packs, which tend to accumulate at the bottom of the brace
- Using all four ice packs at the same time makes it heavy to use
Are your knees often inflamed and swollen? Here is an ice pack wrap that can help tackle this problem. This knee brace can help you deal with chronic knee pain, allowing you to walk with ease.
- Can be used for cold and hot therapy
- Flexible ice pack contours to the shape of the knee, even when frozen
- Universal size, fits both knees
- Knee sleeves provide a snug fit, so it stays in place when moving around
- Gel pack may seem to be of inferior quality
The brand übertherm believes that cooling without freezing can help your body to recover from an injury or ailment faster. That is why it offers this compression wrap that can cool the knee and give you relief from chronic pain.
- Velcro fastens the pack firmly for a secure fit
- Non-toxic gel is safe to use by anyone
- Ice pillow ensures that the knee is exposed to a cool pack and not a frozen one
- Neoprene material ensures a good fit for both men and women
- Ice pack tends to fall off the brace easily as it lacks a closure
- Cold and hot therapy last for a short while
This hot and cold knee wrap is made of durable denim that is easy to wash in a machine. It can cover the entire knee and help sooth pain and enable smooth movements.
- Velcro straps enable customized fitting
- Ice packs are rip-resistant
- Flexible material ensures the brace stays put for easy movements
- Three pockets keep gel packs firmly in place
- The gel packs need to be heated separately, which leads to loss of power quickly
- The gel pack’s heating and cooling power dissipates easily
Looking for a traditional ice pack? If knee braces and sleeves are not your cup of tea, you can stick to this reusable ice pack. It is easy to use and can be used by anyone, anywhere.
- Large cape opening makes the filling of ice cube easy
- Tight-fitting cap eliminates chances of leakage
- The latex-free, waterproof body maintains water temperature for a longer time
- Can be used for both hot and cold therapy
- Product may lack durability
This ice gel pack with a wrap is designed to relieve not just knee pain but joint pains in the other parts of the body too. The rectangular cold pack is large and easily covers the knee. The wrap ensures that the pack stays in place without slipping.
- Inner insulating layer on the cryoshield wrap maintains the gel pack’s coldness for long
- Mesh cover on ice pack keeps the skin safe while providing optimum coldness
- Dual straps provide a firm and comfortable fit
- The product lacks durability
Claiming to be the coldest ice wrap, this brace is designed specially to help the knee recover quickly. Its flexible body enables easy movements without any restriction.
- Flexible ice pack easily molds around the knee
- Webbing technology ensures better cooling
- Helps reduce pain, inflammation, and swelling
- Cooling effect does not last long
This ice pack comes with a knee brace. The knee wrap is made of leak-proof, non-toxic PVC material that can be used for a long period effectively. It also has a knee vent in the front so that your knee movements are not restricted. It can hold both cold and hot pads.
- The gel pad is leak-proof
- Good quality Velcro straps ensure a firm fit
- Non-toxic gel boosts blood circulation
- Brace straps allow the wrap to be adjusted as per convenience
- Fitting may not be as expected
- Buyers with smaller knees might find it to be a tad too big
If you are looking for an ice pack that can last longer than other packs, then have a look at this pain soother. It claims to last longer than 30 minutes and provides relief to painful knees. It comes with a compression pump that can inflate the gel pack to give you dual benefit of compression and cold therapy.
- Can be worn on both knees
- Durable ice packs last long and do not leak
- Velcro fastening helps adjust the brace as per your preference
- People with small knees might find it difficult to adjust the brace
- Air pressure tends to last only a few uses
Benefits Of Using Ice Packs For Knee Pains
A cold pack used for knee pains can:
- Numb the pain
- Soothe any inflammation
- Reduce swelling
- Prevent muscle contraction
However, ice packs are not always the solution for knee pain. When you choose the wrong type of ice pack or do not use it correctly, the pain can get intensified.
Different Types Of Ice Packs
Ice packs for the knee can be categorized into the following types.
- Reusable cold compress: Cold compress are ice packs filled with a gel that should be kept in the freezer before use. You can use the packs from straight out of the freezer and place them on your knee. Once done, you can store it again in the freezer to make it ready for the next time.
- Ice bag: This is a simple rubber or plastic bag filled with ice or cold water that acts as a cold compress to provide relief for aching knees. These bags are available at regular drug stores.
- Knee wrap: A knee wrap is a compression wrap designed to give complete cooling to the knee. It comes with adjustable straps that keep the wrap firm on the knee so you can move around with ease.
- Knee sleeve: Knee sleeves are like gloves for the knee. They are the thinner version of a knee wrap and can be worn all day long under the clothes.
Why Trust MomJunction?
We have compiled this long list of the best ice packs for knee pain after analyzing and comparing various products across the market. We have also mentioned the pros and cons of each product to offer you unbiased information and help you make the right pick. The ice packs for knee pain listed here are versatile and available in different designs. Moreover, we answer some common questions regarding these pain relievers.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How does a cold pack help with an injury?
An ice pack can numb the pain for at least a few minutes. Using an ice pack on the affected area also helps soothe inflammation and stiffness, as well as swelling, so that the knee is back to its normal size.
2. Should I use any gel on my knee before using the ice packs?
There is no gel as such to be used before putting an ice pack. However, as ice can cause burns when applied directly on the skin, it is recommended that you place a cloth or use a bag to wrap the ice pack in before using it.
3. Can gel ice packs go bad?
The gel-based ice packs come with an expiry date. A regular ice bag can be used as long as it is usable. A gel-filled ice pack can become useless after a period of time because of the chemicals present in it. You can check the package of the gel pack to know how long it can be used.
4. How long should you ice a knee?
Even though icing provides relief to knee pain, it should not be overdone. When in pain, you can apply an ice pack to your knee for around twenty minutes, every three to four hours. You can stop icing the knee the moment your skin feels numb.
5. How to care for a knee injury using ice packs?
When you suffer a knee injury, the first 24 to 72 hours are crucial. It is during this time you can use cold therapy using ice packs to help curb inflammation and swelling.
You can then try massaging your knee with some ice. You can do it by rubbing ice directly over the knee for a few minutes. Avoid leaving the ice in one spot for too long as it may cause unwanted burns.
6. Should I consult a doctor before using the ice packs for knee pain?
If you are recovering from an injury or surgery, seek a doctor’s advice before using ice packs. Even those suffering from gout or arthritis should ask their doctor before trying cold pack therapy.
When not taken care of, knee pain can make it difficult for you to carry on with your daily activities. Before it comes to that, talk to your doctor and start using ice packs for relief from the pain and to promote healing and recovery or any injury. If it doesn’t get better with an ice pack, talk to your doctor. Do not make the mistake of ignoring or taking knee pain lightly.
What brand of ice pack do you use for knee pain? Tell us about your experience in the comments section below.
- Best Ice Packs For Coolers
- Best Knee Pads For Flooring
- Best Insoles For Knee Pain
- Best Patella Knee Straps