An indoor and outdoor thermometer is handy to check the temperature of your newborn’s room or check the temperature and humidity to grow indoor plants. These thermometers check for the temperature in a specific area, such as the bedroom, living room, garden, green room, garage, etc. They can be fixed to the wall for convenience and come with a variety of other features.
So, if you’ve been contemplating getting an indoor-outdoor thermometer, read on. Here, MomJunction gives you a list of the best indoor-outdoor thermometers that you can consider buying.
15 Best Indoor-Outdoor Thermometers
Acurite offers an easy-to-use thermometer with a large display and atomic clock and calendar settings. This self-learning and forecasting weather system offers 14 unique identification icons.
- High and low records for indoor and outdoor temperature
- Offers12-24 hour forecast and accurate outdoor sensor
- Automatic clock and calendar display
- Gives precise humidity and temperature readings
- Self-learning and self-calibrating weather system
- No backlight feature
- May have to replace the battery frequently
The Taylor precision thermometer features the daily minimum and maximum temperature recall and comes with a small display with large digits. The wireless device shows temperature in Fahrenheit as well as Celsius.
- Comes with a built-in clock and hassle-free installation
- Has a small display in large digits
- Comes in a beautiful, sleek and contemporary design
- Remote sensors transmit signals for 200ft
- Manual time function with Celsius and Fahrenheit display
- The outdoor sensor is not sealed or waterproof
- Doesn’t work in freezing temperatures
For measuring temperature in Fahrenheit, this tiny and elegant thermometer is a great option. The thermometer features an easy-to-read small LCD display. The device offers intense signal penetration of 433MHz and offers multiple mounting options.
- Wireless sleek and compact thermometer
- Offers accurate outdoor and indoor temperature readings in Fahrenheit
- Gives you multiple mounting options
- Transmits readings after every 60 seconds
- High precision thermistor to observe outdoor temperature up to -40 degrees
- Doesn’t offer humidity or barometric readings
- Displays temperature only in Fahrenheit
This is one of the highest-quality weatherproof and wireless thermometers with a completely sealed outdoor sensor that transmits readings for up to 60m. It features a backlight, touchable LCD screen, temperature, and humidity readings.
- Calibrated and sealed outdoor sensors
- High precision humidity and temperature readings
- Quick backlight feature for ease of use
- Updates readings every 50 seconds
- Cold, heat, and rain resistant, weatherproof sensors
- Multiple mounting options and min/max records
- Battery life span is short
The black forecast station features some advanced features along with barometric pressure readings to help you stay updated with the climatic conditions outside and inside your house.
- Comes with a detailed user manual
- Features barometric pressure and 24-hour historical graph
- Shows indoor and outdoor temperatures and humidity percentage
- Also gives away alerts and min/max records
- Comes with a forecast tendency indicator
- Wall hanging and foldable design
- Needs to be plugged in constantly
This thermometer comes with a high precision outdoor sensor and humidity monitor for accurate temperature readings. The four-inch large display features indoor-outdoor temperature, humidity, time, and arrows to indicate a decrease or increase in the temperature.
- Features a backlight for better readings
- 4” large screen display, indoor and outdoor temperature
- Offers temperature and humidity readings
- Magnet mount, table mount, and tabletop design
- Low battery indicator
- Not calibrated properly for outdoor conditions
If you are looking for a sleek and tiny thermometer that offers only indoor-outdoor temperatures with accuracy, this AcuRite digital thermometer is a great pick. The device indicates temperature and comes with an arrow that shows a drop or rise in the temperature.
- Easy to install with durable batteries
- High precision wireless all-weather thermometer
- Outdoor thermometer offers readings every 30 seconds
- An arrow that indicates increasing/decreasing temperature
- Comes with wireless display and sensors
- Comes in a sleek, tiny and stylish design
- No barometric pressure or humidity readings
- Doesn’t offer alerts or notifications
This fashionable and modern thermometer has an appealing design and all the features you may require in a basic thermometer. This wireless thermometer comes with a high precision sensor and has minimum temperature and humidity error.
- Very little temperature and humidity error
- Colorful and graphic display gives it a unique look
- Fashionable and sleek black design
- 328ft high precision wireless sensor
- Comes with a 12-month warranty
- Comes with an alarm clock, date & time and humidity records
- Consumes more battery compared to others
This indoor-outdoor thermometer features three wireless sensors to provide accurate and reliable temperature and humidity readings. It has smiley icons and huge digits and comes with a backlight that turns off automatically after five seconds.
- Two mounting options with three wireless transmitters
- Three-channel temperature and humidity meter
- Bright HD LCD screen for better readings
- Monitors four different areas effortlessly
- Lightweight (8oz) and displays a low battery icon
- Offers accurate data only in a small range
The digital hygrometer comes with a 4.3” large screen, 2-in-1 thermometer that monitors temperature and humidity and provides two mounting options for convenient use.
- Offers min/max value of temperature and humidity
- Provides weather forecast with appealing icons
- Great for table or wall mount
- 3” large screen and simple interface
- User-friendly touch screen and backlight
- The outdoor sensor is not durable
- Batteries are not long-lasting
The comfort level indicator in this wireless weather station will remind you to adjust the humidifier and dehumidifier settings for monitoring living and health conditions. Its remote wireless sensor can transmit signals for up to 262 feet (line of sight).
- Portable, wireless, and battery-operated weather station
- Offers accurate temperature and humidity readings
- LCD with 20 seconds backlight
- Smiley comfort indicator suggests closing or opening the window
- The display shows time, battery indicator, indoor and outdoor temperature, indoor and outdoor humidity, comfort level and touch button
- The sensor is not waterproof and not durable
This one is a visually appealing and budget-friendly option. The thermometer is easy to carry and comes in a small size. The thermo-hygrometer features a high precision sensor that can monitor temperature and humidity for up to 80m range.
- Comes with a top activated backlight
- Energy-saving and battery-powered thermometer
- Comes with three icons for weather display
- Updates readings every 60 seconds
- Offers excellent temperature and humidity accuracy with C/F switches
- Small and powerful two-inch weather station
- Measures only temperature and humidity
This attractive circular thermometer has a bright LCD and comes with advanced RF sensor technology for better readings and transmission. Plus, you can easily switch between F and C indicators.
- This thermometer comes with advanced RF sensor technology
- An appealing round LCD with high resolution
- Low battery indicator and arrow trends for temperature
- Wall and table-top stand makes it dual placed
- Portable and high-performance thermometer with min/max records
- Consumes a lot of power
- Doesn’t come with batteries
This cool thermometer has three remote sensors and offers five weather forecasts for the next 12 hours. The wireless sensors can collect data from a remote distance of around 100M, and it also provides a frozen alert along with min and max records.
- Comes with four buttons – CH, C/F, MEM, and light
- Backlight, low battery indicator, and min/max readings
- Provides both temperature and humidity readings
- Weather forecast for the next 12 hours
- Five weather forecast symbols indications available
- Not suitable for freezing weather
- May lose connection in cold weather
- Lightweight and easy-to-carry thermometer
- Comes with highly accurate sensors
- Can also be used to measure fish tank temperature
- Comes with user-friendly display and control panels
- Gives highly accurate humidity readings
- Slightly overpriced than basic indoor-outdoor thermometers
- No barometric pressure readings
How To Use An Indoor/ Outdoor Thermometer?
It is essential to mount the thermometers and sensors at appropriate locations so that the thermometer can function correctly. Here’s how you can use an indoor-outdoor thermometer:
- Install the thermometer in an area with shade, away from direct sunlight. While most sensors work in cold, damp, or cold conditions, it is still good to install them in a safe location.
- Place the sensors within the operating range of the base station. Look out for this distance on the user manual of your thermometer packaging. Also, make sure there are few obstructions like walls between the sensor and base station.
- Install the thermometer around five feet off the ground and maintain some space between the sensor and structure because the devices can pick heat from any structure.
- Make sure that the sensor and thermometer are placed at a distance from fireplaces, dryer vents, or air conditioners as they might lead to an inaccurate reading.
- Remember that rain, precipitation, heat, and extreme moisture can impact the readings.
What Are The Uses Of An Indoor-Outdoor Thermometer?
An indoor-outdoor thermometer:
- Let’s you measure outside temperature without going out
- Is handy for engineers to measure the temperature of unfinished buildings.
- Measures barometric pressure and humidity along with the temperature.
- Gives accurate measurement of other rooms in the house
- Provides smartphone connectivity that helps in knowing the temperature on your phone.
How To Choose The Right Indoor/ Outdoor Thermometer?
There are certain factors you need to consider while choosing an indoor-outdoor thermometer. Here are the most important ones you should not miss.
There are thermometers with LCD and color displays of various sizes. They also have a backlight, so choose the one with a backlight so you can get the readings correctly. When it comes to looks, the black and white displays are cheaper than the colored ones. So, if you are looking for decorative thermometers, you can choose colored ones.
2. Temperature forecast and measurement
The most important thing to consider while selecting a thermometer is the temperature forecast. Some thermometers offer temperature forecasts for weeks, and some project the temperature of the upcoming 12 or 24 hours. Some thermometers come with outdoor remote sensors so you can measure the temperature at a specific location.
Some thermometers operate on batteries so you can place these thermometers at a distance and use it until the battery runs out. This is a convenient option, but if the battery goes off consistently, it may cost you a lot. The replacement for a thermometer that works on the battery is the thermometer that works with constant power supply through a power outlet. You’ll have to place the thermometer near a power outlet, and it will eliminate the cost of batteries.
4. Other features
Some thermometers also offer readings for humidity, weather forecast, and barometric pressure. Some also provide alerts and notifications for extreme climatic conditions such as extreme heat or snowfall. Some thermometers offer UV index so you can keep away from sunlight when the rays are extremely harmful.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use an indoor/ outdoor thermometer in an apartment or rental unit?
Yes. You can use an indoor and outdoor thermometer in apartments and rental units. The installation and use of these thermometers are easy and quick so you can use the thermometers in apartments to monitor the temperature of your baby’s room or can use it at a rental unit for cold storage, wine cellars, or other such places.
2. What is the use of an outdoor thermometer?
Outdoor thermometers are used to measure temperature and for forecasting weather. When you are planning for outdoor activity, the forecasts form the outdoor thermometer will allow you to plan your event accordingly. Some outdoor thermometers also give alerts and notifications when the climate is hazardous so you can save yourself from getting stuck in a storm, heavy snowfall, or hurricanes.
3. How is a thermometer used to measure the temperature?
Thermometers measure temperature through mercury. Mercury is sealed in a glass tube, and whenever the temperature rises or falls, it expands and contracts. These thermometers are generally calibrated so you can easily watch the readings.
4. What is barometric pressure?
Barometric pressure is the pressure produced by the weight of air around us and is also known as atmospheric pressure. There is a lot of air in the atmosphere, and though it is very light, the gravity pulls the air molecules and creates pressure.
Barometric pressure can help forecast climatic and weather conditions and has a significant effect on the human body. You can estimate if it’s going to rain or if it is going to be a scorching day with the help of barometric pressure readings. This works well, especially if you have planned some outdoor activities.
5. What about the range and temperature accuracy?
When looking for a thermometer, check the range and temperature accuracy of the product. The accuracy of temperature also depends on how far the sensor is from the thermometer. Most of the sensors work great for up to 100 feet and can easily cover the space of a house. Readings of most of the thermometers fluctuate by 1-2 degrees, and it’s not a significant change. You need to install the thermometer and outdoor sensors at a proper distance and in the shade for the most accurate results.
From dressing right for an outing to planning your outdoor activities smartly, the indoor-outdoor thermometers help you with some important decisions. These are the best budget-friendly and quality indoor-outdoor thermometers you can buy and stay updated about the weather outside.
Have you purchased an indoor-outdoor thermometer? How was your experience? Tell us about it in the comments section below.