One of the best ways to prevent knee pain is by investing in the best insoles for knee pain. Insoles in the footwear can help alleviate discomfort by offering cushioning to the ankles and knees. A tested insole absorbs shock, aligns the posture, and corrects the way you walk. It also relieves pressure and strain from the knees and helps prevent further injuries.
While choosing an insole, always pick the one that matches your needs and gives you maximum stability, support, and comfort. We have compiled a list of the top insoles to reduce knee pain and recommend you to get a pair as it will help reduce discomfort and pain.
11 Best Insoles For Knee Pain In 2023
1. Best Podiatrist Recommended: Powerstep Pinnacle Arch Supportive Insoles
These highly effective full-length shoe inserts for knee pain are made of 100% polyester, have maximum dual cushioning because of an EVA foam base and foam top layer, and come with in-built neutral arch support. You can look forward to a pain-free life as these cushioned insoles are ideal for Achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, shin splints, and other ankles, foot, hip, knee, and back pain. A perfect balance of support and comfort, the arch shape cradles the heel and arch of your foot, giving it stability and reducing the stress on the feet, ankles, tendons, and joints. These physician-recommended insoles can be worn with a wide variety of shoes like athletic, running, walking, casual shoes, and dress shoes, and as they are ordered by shoe size, trimming is not required. This product has over 19,000 Amazon reviews. Click here to check out a detailed personal review of this product.
Material: Polyester, Ethylene Vinyl Acetate | Color: Blue
- Semi rigid support shell
- Anti-microbial top fabric
- Great for all arch types
- Alleviates mild to moderate pronation
- No.1 podiatrist recommended brand
- Accepted by the American Podiatric Medical Association
- May not be suitable for people who are overweight
2. Best Adjustable:EASYFEET Orthotic Insoles
One of the best orthotic insoles for knee pain, these high arch support insoles are not only incredibly comfortable but also minimize arch pain and offer relief from plantar fasciitis, pronation, joint pain, heel spurs, shin splints, metatarsalgia, and bunions. Crafted with hard TPU and a cushioning layer of PU memory foam, they fit all kinds of shoes for both men and women, and are great for walking, standing, running, or cross-training. Anti Pronation Biomechanical Reinforcement Technology provides fantastic arch support, and the gel cushioning and air capsules in the forefoot act as a great shock absorber. A deep heel cup and in-built heel support offer balance and stability. A velvety, breathable cover reduces heat and friction, providing additional comfort to your feet. Check out this YouTuber’s review of this product. Check out this product review detailing a tester’s experience with this product recommended by medical professionals.
- Adjustable size
- Odorless antibacterial cover
- Pain relief within a week
- Podiatrist recommended
- May not be suitable for big feet
3. Best With Full-Length Footbed: Walk-Hero Comfort And Support Arch Supportive Insole
The impressive semi-rigid orthotic arch support of these orthotic insoles for knee pain offers pain relief from pronation, arthritis pain, bunions, Achilles tendonitis, and plantar fasciitis by improving the alignment of your foot and leg, easing stress, and increasing the level of comfort. The deep stabilizing heel cup of the insole maintains your foot in the correct position and protects your heel from impact while walking or running. Made from premium EVA material and in-built silicone material, it absorbs shocks, keeps your feet stable, and offers pain relief. The tried-and-tested insoles can be used in walking, hiking, or work shoes, boots, and everyday footwear to provide moderate support and control. This product is loved by many, evident from its over 68,000 reviews on Amazon. To understand the nuances of the product in detail, you can check out this product review.
Material: Ethylene Vinyl Acetate | Color: Blue | Product Dimensions: 14.4 x 4.2 x 1.5 inches | Weight: 3.53 Ounces
- Fabric keeps your feet cool
- Full length footbed
- 5 mm top cover
- Medical-grade foot support
- High-density foam layer
- Odorless, antibacterial, durable velvet cover
- Packed in resealable ziplock bag
- May not work for people with high arches
Best Podiatrist Recommended
Best With Full Length Footbed
Best Shock Absorption
|Powerstep Pinnacle Arch Support Insoles||Walk-Hero Comfort And Support Arch Support Insole||WalkFit Platinum Arch Support Insoles|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
These innovative orthotic insoles for knee pain offer you a feature that no other brand does─ 3 sets of customizable arch inserts, low, medium, or high─ so that you find the perfect fit. They are crafted with sturdy and durable copolymer resin and are easily washable. They are proven to lessen foot, knee, leg, back, and hip pain. Its durable arch supports are precision molded and help with proper alignment of the back and shoulders, relieve lower back pain, balance the hips, reduce stress on knee joints, and cradle the feet for improved stability. This custom orthotic insole has over 3000 Amazon reviews.
Material: Rubber, Gel | Color: Grey | Product Dimensions: 10.71 x 2.29 x 4.41 inches | Weight: 9.91 Ounces
- Cushioning gel pad in the heel
- Extra shock absorption and comfort
- Distributes your weight evenly across feet
- Prevents the heel from rolling
- People with neuropathy may find it uncomfortable
The Superfeet High Arch Orthotic Support is a cut-to-fit shoe insole designed for comfort. Available for men and women, it is designed in a fun and quirky green. Made of polyester, these orthotic insoles provide a great high arch to keep your feet comfortable when walking. According to reviewers, its high-density foam provides the right cushioning and reliable support with a maximum walk distance of up to 500 miles.
Material: Polyester | Color: Green | Product Dimensions: 13.63 x 4.38 x 1.63 inches | Weight: 4 Ounces
- Easy to trim for sole fitting
- High durability
- Suitable for support in common heel, arch, foot pain, or plantar fasciitis
- Vegan and latex-free
- Has a natural NXT anti-bacterial coating
- Odor-control coating
- Minimizes shifting for step-in comfort
- Softness may decline with extended use
- May not suit all feet shapes
6. Best For Instant Pain Relief:Dr. Scholl’s Orthotic Insoles For Knee Pain
One of the best shoe inserts for knee pain, these orthotic insoles prevent strain, stress, and shock that can cause knee pain, and protects the meniscus and knee cartilage from stress and shock, giving pain relief all through the day. Designed with Shock Guard technology and reinforced padding, this insole for runner shoes reduces and absorbs impact when you move, distributes weight and pressure evenly, and is very helpful for reducing general knee pain, runner’s knee, and pain from osteoarthritis. A clinical study proves that the arch support and deep heel cup stabilizes the heel to prevent strain, stress, and shock that can cause knee pain.
Material: Plastic | Color: Blue | Product Dimensions: 2.77 x 4.79 x 14.22 inches | Weight: 6.4 Ounces.
- Full length insoles
- Can be trimmed
- Protects knee cartilage
- Instant pain relief
- May make the fit of your shoes tight
These wedge heel silicone insoles for knee pain can be used in 2 ways─ medial and lateral wedging─ and can correct postural imbalances which may lead to injuries in the future. This pair of insoles is suitable for relief from knock-knees, supination, pronation, bow legs, ankle eversion, and flat feet. The wedges measure 1/10-inch on the thinner side and ⅖-inch on the thicker side, which controls the hindfoot and forefoot from rolling out or rolling in. The tried-and-tested insole for women and men provides cushioning and stability to your feet, which reduces pain, stress, and pressure, and gives adequate support. Made of durable and soft gel material, it has a good peel off the back adhesive, and can be washed without losing its stickiness so that it can be reused. It fits most types of shoes for men and women, including slippers, high heels, flats, boots, sandals, and sneakers.
Material: Silicone, Gel | Color: Blue, Clear
- Instant relief from pain
- Soft and breathable material
- Features extra cushions for the heels
- Suitable for O-type and X-type legs
- Some may take time to get used to the texture
8. Best Biodynamic Balance Technology:Superthotics Arch Supportive Insoles
The unique and innovative Biodynamic Balance technology of these insoles for knee pain keeps your foot arches from collapsing and relieves pain by correcting the angle at which your foot hits the ground while walking or running. The durable arch support of these physician-recommended orthotic insoles provides stability and comfort, and a clinical study proves that they relieve the pain caused by bunions, tendonitis, hammer toe, pain in the arch, neuroma, and bone spurs. They align your foot and body properly with their durable construction of high-tech polymer. It features Bio-Lock heel cups with cushioned material that stabilize the ankle and heel for the proper alignment of your foot and shock absorption. It also has added metatarsal support to support the ball of your foot and distribute impact across the entire foot evenly. These insoles for women and men fit all sizes and kinds of shoes.
Color: Black | Material: Plastic
- Restores balance
- Customizable orthotics
- Developed by a doctor
- Patented technology for all foot related problems
- Some may find the plastic too hard.
These insoles for sports shoes use EUDE foam, which is a speed-responsive smart material for the best protection of your feet. Apart from new technology, it uses graphene compound fabric that is more breathable and removes odor. For the environmentally-conscious, these insoles are biodegradable and certified by CPSIA and REACH. The sports insoles for knee pain strengthen the muscles of your feet, protect your ankles and knees, and balance your limbs. This pair of insoles are incredible shock absorbers and greatly reduce the impact caused by walking, running, and sports. These insoles have an adaptive fit and support the full foot, thus soothing your feet, preventing pain, and reducing muscle and leg fatigue.
Material: Ethylene Vinyl Acetate | Color: Living Coral | Product Dimensions: 11.65 x 3.94 x 0.55 inches | Weight: 4.59 Ounces.
- Fits all type of shoes
- Ergonomic design
- Deep heel cup
- Uniquely designed for your foot arch
- Mildew-resistant antibacterial fabric
- Can be trimmed to fit
- Suitable for all kinds of physical activity
- Corrects foot shape and adjusts posture
- Color may run
You get a pair of transparent silicone magnetic stone heel insoles, and a pair of apricot gel insoles in this pack which adhere to the inside of your shoe and correct O-type and X-type leg orthotics. These orthotic insoles can be fitted into sneakers, boots, trainers, and high heel shoes. The magnetic insole uses two soothing magnet stones with gel pads placed on acupressure points to give your feet and body relief from pain and fatigue. These insoles for knee pain give significant relief from heel pain, bow-legs, pronation, supination, osteoarthritis knee pain, and knock-knees. The gel insoles are soft and comfortable with an adhesive backing and can be reused.
Material: Silicone, Gel | Color: Clear Orthopedic Insole
- Can be used all day
- Self-adhesive backing
- Medial and lateral heel wedge
- Relieves all kinds of foot and leg pain
- May not be suitable for those with big feet
11. Best Durable:Supinserts Insoles For Women
Crafted with premium quality, medium density, lightweight EVA foam that has undergone integrated processing, this insole features a multi-layer design. The upper and lower layers of these insoles for knee pain are designed with high elasticity memory foam, while the middle is made of hard TPU to disperse the pressure on the foot and provide full support. This provides shock absorption and comfortable cushioning, and the polyester top fabric keeps your feet dry and comfortable throughout the day. Its deep U-shape heel cup and high arch support of 25 mm guarantees comfort, stability, support, shock absorption, and proper body alignment. It greatly reduces the pain and symptoms caused by flat feet, arthritis, plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, bunions, and diabetes.
Material: Silicone, Thermoplastic Polyurethane, Gel | Color: Black | Product Dimensions: 7.87 x 3.15 x 0.79 inches | Weight: 8.47 Ounces.
- Unisex everyday use
- Fits most footwear
- Moisture-wicking breathable material
- Memory foam covered with velvet fabric
- Metatarsal support massage ball
- Corrective fixation design
- Non-slip flexible material
- Suitable for all arch types
- Recommended by chiropractors and podiatrists
- Some feel it could have more cushioning.
How To Choose The Right Insole For Knee Pain?
Consider the following factors when choosing an insole for knee pain.
1. Arch support: Choose insoles that give adequate support to your arches and ensure your feet are in proper alignment. Depending on the arch of your foot, this could be low, medium, or high. Some supportive insoles come with adaptive arch technology, which means the arches of the insole adapt to your foot’s arches as you move. This takes the pressure off your legs and thus protects your knees.
2. Cushioning: The best insoles cushion your feet and absorb shocks so that there is less impact on your joints. This can be done with things like air pockets, gel, EVA foam, and other high-quality materials. Thick cushioned insoles can offer enhanced padding and shock absorption.
3. Heel support: A deep stabilizing heel cup gives adequate support and aligns your feet properly. If it’s a padded or cushioned insole, it will help absorb shocks too. Do remember that if the cushioning is too high, it can put unnecessary pressure on your knees resulting in pain. A deep heel cup gives the best support and protects your knees and will ensure your feet pronate properly.
4. Metatarsal lift: This is required if you are prone to pain in the ball of the foot or on top of your knee. A metatarsal lifts the toes up slightly and separates the big toe a little, which protects the front foot area.
5. Contoured fit: Insoles that contour to your feet will support your feet exactly where required. This prevents your feet from inwards or outwards, and reduces pressure on the knees. High density foam is the best as it takes on your foot’s exact shape and will adjust to your feet every day. Memory foam is also a good shock absorber, is lightweight, durable, and comfortable.
6. Moisture control: Insoles are available that have an upper fabric layer that is moisture-wicking and keeps your feet dry. This prevents blisters from forming that can be painful, and prevents you from walking properly.
7. Odor prevention: Choose a pair of insoles that are antimicrobial as they prevent bacteria from multiplying in moist conditions. Bacteria causes feet to smell, but an antimicrobial insole will ensure that your feet are odor-free even if you are wearing shoes all day long.
Dr. Safia Munawar, MBBS, CBAM, general practitioner, and aesthetic medicine specialist, says, “Wearing insoles is a great way to add extra comfort and alleviate knee, ankle, and heel pain. Apart from investing in a quality insole, it’s also crucial you choose the correct footwear in the first place.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
A properly fitted footwear insole can help reduce discomfort and forefoot pain by facilitating the right postures and support while walking. Thus, Poulami Nag, the author of this article and our seasoned writer and reviewer of footwear and clothing, has assessed your requirements, critical quality parameters, and extra features to compile this list of the popular and best insoles for knee pain. Moreover, she has also included a buying guide highlighting the different factors you should consider before buying the right shoe insole.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can a shoe cause knee pain?
Yes, ill-fitting shoes can cause knee pain (1). The type of activity, duration of the shoes worn, and other health conditions can also cause knee pain.
2. Can I clean the insoles in the washer?
It is essential to clean the insoles to remove dirt and bacteria. However, not all insoles are safe to wash in the washer or put in the dryer. So check the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning the insoles.
3. Do insoles make the shoes tighter?
Insoles are designed to fill up the gap between your feet and shoes. They provide cushioning and keep you comfortable while walking or running. The insoles also help in keeping your shoes clean as they are removable.
Knee pain can be excruciating and may make it difficult to carry on with your day-to-day life. However, choosing suitable insoles for knee pain can help you handle the condition better. They absorb the shock that may otherwise get directed to your ankles and knees. Certain aspects, such as good cushioning and arch support, as seen in the Powerstep Pinnacle Arch Support Insoles, are crucial for optimal comfort. You can also look for insoles such as Walk-Hero Comfort Arch Support Insole with deep heel cups that help stabilize your walk. While knee pain is one of the most common conditions that make its way into our lives as we age, insoles like Dr. Scholl’s Orthotics For Knee Pain can be an easy, effortless, and simple remedy to help you live a normal life without giving in to tormenting pain.
Infographic: Buying Guide For Insoles For Knee Pain
Adequate support and cushioning can help alleviate knee pain considerably, allowing you to walk comfortably without much strain. The right insoles can provide the necessary stability for easy movement. You can review the infographic below to understand the various factors involved in choosing suitable insoles.
- Can Your Shoes Cause Knee Pain?