Hiking, climbing, or a short camping trip could leave your shoulders sore owing to the weight of the backpack you carry. But not if you’re using the best internal frame backpacks, as they fit snugly onto the body and are designed to minimize snagging when outdoors. A backpack with an internal frame comes in various sizes to suit your torso length and is perfectly suited for moving through rugged areas.
Such backpacks also have large-sized shoulder and waist straps and are easily customized to fit your frame for better comfort. Read on as we tell you about the best internal frame backpacks that you can buy today.
11 Best Internal Frame Backpacks
Ideal for men and women, this internal frame backpack easily adjusts to fit the torso. It has a lightweight build and several features that keep the person comfortable when backpacking.
- It weighs 4.5lbs and has a capacity of 55l
- Channels on the back panel encourage airflow
- Fully adjustable padded straps
- Length adjusts to suit different torso lengths
- Compartment designed to fit a sleeping bag
- External storage space and compression straps
- Rainfly integrated into the backpack
Perfect for those heading outdoors for a weekend of hiking, this backpack has space for carrying all the essentials. It is designed to provide a comfortable experience and has an extension collar for extra space.
- 50l capacity with extension collar adding 5l more
- Adjustable straps on torso, waist, and shoulder harness
- Pad provides an extra layer for lumbar support
- Molded back and padding on each shoulder strap
- Compression straps keep any additional gear secure
- Water-repellent exterior material
- Separate compartment for storing a sleeping bag
- Includes a rainfly that can withstand heavy rain
Traveling between cities for up to two weeks or just heading outdoors into the wilderness for a week is easy when you have this backpack with internal frame. It has a large capacity and can hold a lot of gear, which makes it ideal for camping.
- 70l capacity and 5l extensible collar
- Dedicated compartment for a sleeping bag
- Bladder sleeve can fit three liters of water
- Height adjustable in eight steps
- Water-resistant nylon exterior
- Side pocket with a zipper designed to fit an umbrella
- Padding on hip, waist, and shoulder strap
This internal frame hiking backpack is designed to appeal to professionals and has an aluminum frame that adjusts to fit the contours of the back. It offers extreme durability and is perfect for outdoor use.
- A capacity of 50l and extension collar with 5l capacity
- Sternum strap with adjustable buckle and whistle
- Padding on each shoulder strap and hip belt
- Easily accessible rain cover available at the bottom
- Contoured back panel with airflow channels
- Rip-stop nylon build and several exterior pouches
- Sleeve for storing water bottle included
- Space for storing pickaxe on the exterior
This backpack features an advanced suspension and ventilation system that delivers a comfortable carrying experience. A leader among internal frame backpacks, it is ideal for use when camping or hiking.
- Durable nylon provides extreme durability
- 3D anti-gravity suspension and padding on the straps
- 65l large capacity internal frame hiking backpack
- Sleeve for storing hydration bladder
- Removable top lid designed for easy access
- Unique trekking pole attachment on exterior
- Five zippered and three slip pockets on the exterior
- Harness and hip belt are easily adjustable
Among the best internal frame backpacks, this is ideally suited for camping outdoors. The tactical backpack with a durable build is suitable for bulkier gear and has an exterior webbing for attaching several tools.
- Large capacity 65l backpack with 10l extension collar
- Molle webbing for hanging tools/accessories
- The hydration compartment fits a five-liter bladder
- Front compartment for storing a sleeping bag
- Loop for holding ski poles or ice ax
- 600D polyester build with a rain cover included
- Bottom zipper for easy access to the main compartment
- Large pockets/small side pockets are a bonus
This is one of the best internal frame backpacks and has a raft of features along with a lifetime guarantee. The internal pack frame is ideal for outdoor use and also works when you have to travel between cities.
- Adjustable hip belt/sternum strap with padding
- Compression straps and carry handle included
- Large 48l capacity with space for a hydration bladder
- Easily adjustable chest strap and aluminum stays
- Hip belt with padding and mesh back panel
- Zipped side pockets and main drawstring closure
- The top flap allows easy access to maps and essentials
Featuring a lightweight build, this internal frame hiking backpack is an ideal choice if you want high-quality gear. It is ergonomically designed with a padded shoulder strap and mesh ventilation on its back for support.
- 45l pack size that expands up to 51l
- Lightweight with added support on the back
- Nylon exterior provides extreme durability
- Easily deployed rain cover at the bottom
- Buckle with integrated survival whistle
- Top pocket with a keychain for storing keys
- Space within is designed to fit a water bladder
- Durable build with elastic buckles for attaching poles
This is a large internal frame backpack with a durable build and ultra-light pack weight. It has an Ergo-Fit branded shoulder harness for added support and an adjustable sternum strap for comfortable carrying.
- Large bag with 90l storage capacity
- Top loading lid with drawstring closure
- Drop-bottom compartment for a sleeping bag
- Zippered pockets on sides and front
- Hex-Vent mesh and molded back panel
- Adjustable aluminum pack frame bars
- Space for a water bottle and dual ports
- Daisy chain webbing and external mesh pockets
- Water-resistant build with a rain cover included
One of the best internal frame hiking backpack options available, it has added bonus features such as a removable suspension and a pocket on the hip belt.
- Water and tear-resistant durable nylon exterior
- Large 45l capacity with exterior compression straps
- Suspension system detaches to create a causal backpack
- Internal sleeve for a water bladder and hydration port
- Side pockets and bottom compartment for shoes
- Bear system allows for better heat distribution
- A rain cover is available in the bottom pocket
This backpack routinely scores high in gear reviews and is an extra-large option designed in military-style. It is an ideal choice among large capacity backpacking backpacks and is made with 100% polyester.
- Large internal frame backpack with 64.3l capacity
- Main compartment with extra-large storage space
- Adjustable yoke straps on shoulders and sternum
- Padded shoulder and waist straps
- Molle webbing for attaching tools or accessories
- Sleeve for storing hydration bladder
- Hook-and-loop provided on the front for placing a flag
- Pocket with soft lining for storing electronics
How To Choose The Right Internal Frame Backpack?
Whether an internal frame backpack suits your requirement depends on whether you are going camping, trekking, or just heading to a neighboring city for a weekend trip. We tell you how to choose the right backpack in a few simple steps.
- Measure your body: Start measuring your torso from the topmost part of your neck and end near the hips. An extra small backpack is ideal if you have a torso length of up to 15 inches. You can choose a longer version if your torso is 20 inches or longer. Women should also choose backpacks with shoulder straps and belts that are better suited to their body shape.
- The gear you have to carry: If you are going camping for two to three nights, then a backpack should have 60l capacity, while a trip that lasts over five nights will need an 80l or larger backpack. Additionally, if you are camping or trekking in the winter, you will need a large internal frame backpack.
- Options to customize the backpack: A good internal frame backpack can be customized for fit you well and could minimize the strain on your shoulders. The ones with a custom fit are stable and remain in place even when hiking over uneven terrain.
- Number of compartments and pockets: Consider the number of compartments available within the backpack and its exterior. Go for one with more compartments for better and easy organization. A backpack with a main compartment that can be accessed from the top and sides with easy access to gear is a better pick.
- Rain cover: If you choose an internal frame backpack with a rain cover, then you can get good protection for your gear when it rains, and you do not have to spend extra to purchase one separately.
- Durable material: Picking a backpack that is made from tear and water-resistant fabric will ensure that it lasts longer. Also, check the quality of zippers, such as top quality YKK ones that are less likely to fail.
- Hydration bladder sleeve: Some backpacks come with a sleeve that is designed to store a hydration bladder and a port for it, and these are ideal for getting a quick drink on the go when trekking.
- Exterior attachment points: You will need attachment points on the backpack exterior to hang gear, tools, a sleeping bag, or poles, so ensure these are available.
The range of internal frame backpacks is continually increasing, as they have a sleek form and better stability when walking. Some of them can also be converted into daypacks if you cycle to the office or college. Not surprisingly, internal frame backpacks are popular and are here to stay. So, pick one for yourself today.