Rice is one of the most versatile foods around the world, and if anyone has perfected the art of cooking rice in different ways, it’s the Japanese. And, if you want it made to perfection, the best Japanese rice cooker can be a handy device in your kitchen.
Japanese rice cookers come with incredible features to let you cook rice in different ways. With different models out there, ranging from simple electric heaters to advanced inductions, choosing one becomes challenging. Thus, we have rounded up the best Japanese rice cookers on this list. Take a look.
Types Of Japanese Rice Cookers
Here are a few major types of rice cookers available in the market.
- Regular electric rice cooker: Also known as a mechanical rice cooker, it is a simple and functional appliance that automatically switches off when food is cooked. It works on the bottom-to-top heating principle, which cooks the rice uniformly. Affordability and easy-availability are the key features of this variety.
- Electronic rice cooker: An advanced rice cooker, this type works on electronic control panels, microprocessors, and sensing devices to control and manipulate key cooking parameters such as temperature, pressure, and cooking time. It comes with a variety of cooking modes to cook different types of rice
- High-frequency induction cooker:The induction cooker works on magnetic fields to heat the entire cooking pan instead of just the bottom. This technology, indicated by the IH (Induction Heating) label, is considered the most advanced.
This type of cooker can prepare the most uniformly cooked and fluffy rice in less time. Such high-frequency rice cooker devices also have LCDs with touch buttons to select from the different cooking modes. They have a state-of-the-art design that complements a modern kitchen too.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Japanese Rice Cookers
The Zojirushi Fuzzy electronic rice cooker with neuro-fuzzy logic technology enables you to set temperature and heating time to make perfectly cooked rice. It has several cooking modes such as white rice (sushi, softer, harder), mixed rice, porridge, sweet, semi brown, brown rice, and quick-cooking that can be selected from the panel as per your preference.
The one-liter capacity cooker has triple heaters to cook the rice evenly from the bottom, sides, and the top. The ergonomically designed cooker has a retractable power cord,a folding handle for easy transport, and a keep-warm mode that can keep your rice warm for more than 12 hours. It has a clock and delay-timer function and includes a spatula and a measuring rice cooker cup. Take a look at this video to learn more about this rice cooker.
- Multiple cooking modes with LCD
- Sturdy build with quality components
- Beep-audio to indicate cooking completion
- Easy-to-clean detachable cooking pan and lids
- May take longer to cook
- Battery cannot be replaced
The Tiger multi-functional cooker has gained immense popularity among rice lovers for its synchronized cooking mode to steam cooking. It also has an automatic logic system for active temperature monitoring.
The cooker’s easy-to-understand button layout with four cooking modes, namely plain, synchro – cooking, brown and slow cook, lets you prepare the most delicious and steamed rice dishes. You can use the warm mode to keep your rice warm after it is cooked. The cooker comes with a spatula, measuring cup, cooking plate, and a recipe-book for synchro cooking ideas. Watch this brief video for more information about this rice cooker.
- Compact size, one-liter capacity
- Super-fast cooking in less than 20 minutes
- Synchro-cooking in the upper tray
- Easy to clean and wash
- Timer or clock functionalities are absent
- Doesn’t have audio indicators
Equipped with induction heating (IH) technology, the Zojirushi rice cooker uses magnetic fields instead of electrical conduction to heat the rice pan. This special heating method lets you prepare the fluffiest, evenly-cooked, and tasty rice in conjunction with the highly intelligent temperature sensors.
You can cook various rice dishes,including plain rice, brown rice, porridge, and sushi rice in the cooker, by selecting the right mode. Once the rice is cooked, the keep-warm mode automatically sets in for hours. It also has a timer to set the desired cooking time in advance.
- Advanced induction heating technology
- Modern design with stainless steel body
- Multiple cooking modes
- Easy-to-operate front panel and LED screen
- One-liter capacity
- May take longer to cook
- Power cord may not beretractable
If you are looking for a multipurpose cooker,the Comfee all-in-one cooker can be a good choice. You can use this five-liter appliance as a rice cooker, steamer, sauté pan, slow cooker, yogurt maker, and soup pot. It also includes a 24-hour delay timer to set the time of cooking conveniently. It has good build quality with a stainless steel outer body and non-stick cooking pot. This brief video has more information about the product.
- Multi-cooker, cook more than just rice
- Touch panel and timer with LED display
- Automatic keep-warm mode
- Removable pot and lids for easy cleaning
- May take longer to cook
- Could be heavy for some
The induction heating pressure cooker and warmer is an advanced and top-of-the-line offering by the Japanese brand Zojirushi. With a combination of induction heating (IH) and pressurized cooking in conjunction with fuzzy logic technology and AI, this rice cooker ensures uniform heating of the rice. It has three different pressure levels and micro-adjustments suitable for cooking different types of rice at the desired temperature.
Available in one and two-liter capacity, the cooker has basic features such as LED display, touch control, timer, and keep-warm mode and advanced safety features, such as a pressure control valve, safety valve, and pressure indicator.
- High-finish stainless steel exterior
- Multiple cooking modes
- High-quality components and parts
- Easy-to-clean parts
- May not be suitable for food items other than rice
The Toshiba cooker brings innovation to rice cooking with advanced fuzzy logic, 3D, and six-step cooking technology. With a capacity of 3l, this cooker is capable of cooking white rice, brown rice, mixed rice,and other food items, such as oats, porridge, and multiple grains. A well-lit LED display, ergonomic design,and single-touch buttons enable easy selection of cooking modes or timer settings. The sturdy and durable cooker has a carry handle and detachable cooking pan and lid for portability and efficient cooking.
- Combination of advanced cooking features
- Not limited to just cooking rice
- Includes steam basket, spatulas, soup spoon, and measuring cups
- Quick rice feature for faster cooking
- Keep-warm mode for 24 hours
- Power cord is not retractable
The budget-friendly multipurpose rice cooker has three main cooking modes to steam meat and veggies and cook white and brown rice. It also has the automatic sauté-then-simmer and keep-warm functions to cook moist and well-textured rice with a button price. The additional steam tray can be used to steam your favorite dishes simultaneously with the rice. You can use the delay timer for up to 15 hours for planned cooking.
- Advanced cooking features work in sync
- Sauté and steam functions
- Includes steam basket and standard accessories
- Multipurpose cooking
- One-liter capacity
- Cleaning may not beeasy
- Panel display is not backlit
- Condensed water may drip from the sides
If you are looking for an ultra-portable rice cooker,the Thanko handy cooker can be a reliable choice. You can carry this to work or picnics and have freshly cooked rice for lunch. It has two heating bowls for cooking rice and vegetables separately. It is a simple and portable electric rice cooker to prepare small portions for a single person.
- Compact and easy-to-carry
- Suitable for warming food
- Made of premium-quality material
- Durable and convenient
- May lack advanced heating technology
- May take longer to cook
9. Best LED Screen: Tiger JKT-D10U Rice Cooker
This rice cooker by Tiger works effectively on advanced induction technology. The temperature adjustment feature encourages you to cook fluffy rice within a short time. It also comes with 12 preset menu settings for quick cooking, and the new express limited cup setting enables you to cook a limited amount of rice in 17 minutes. The cooker can also keep the cooked rice warm when you select the ‘keep warm’ setting. You can conveniently cook multigrain rice, long grain rice, porridge, and sweet rice, and bake using this versatile rice cooker.
- Comes with side handles
- Non-stick coated ceramic inner pot
- Precise temperature adjustment
- Available in 1.3 and 2.3 liters
- May take time to get familiar with the features
The Tatung multi-cooker works on advanced fuzzy logic cooking technology and boasts eight cooking presets and three main quick-cooking modes, including quick rice cooking, white rice cooking, and congee rice cooking.With a capacity of 1.5l, this cooker is relatively compact with a stainless steel body in rose-gold and includes a keep-warm, preset timer, and other advanced features.
- Durable and high-quality
- LED screen with single-touch buttons
- Versatile, can steam and slow cook
- Foldable handle for portability
- LED screen may not have enough light for visibility
If you want to have a portable rice cooker with advanced induction heating (IH) technology, the Hitachi cooker can be an idealchoice. Its 0.36-liter capacity, various cooking modes, and iron kettle can help you get perfectly texturedrice. This cooker also works on battery-powered technology, which makes it convenient for outdoor cooking.
- Induction heating
- Compact and travel-friendly
- Multi-cooking modes
- Timer functions available
- Could be noisy
- May not be easy to wash and clean
How To Choose The Right Japanese Rice Cooker?
With the plethora of features and various Japanese rice cooker brands, it may not be easy to pick what is best for you. To make your decision-making easier, here is a list of key features that you should look for in Japanese rice cookers.
- Bowl capacity: One-liter (5.5cups) capacity is the standard capacity of Japanese rice cookers. If you need to cook more, you can go for a two-liter capacity, which is approximately 10 cups. While the former would be sufficient for two or three people, the latter is preferable if you intend to cook for more people.
- Cooking pan quality: The cooking pan quality affects the taste of your rice. A better-insulated pan ensures better heat propagation and retention, ensuring thorough and uniform cooking. Try to find a cooker with high-quality steel pans and a non-stick surface that doesn’t peel off with repeated usage.
- Heating technologies: Some standard heating technologies include induction heating (IH), Fuzzy Logic heating, and 3D heating. A few brands also offer proprietary patent technologies or the above mentioned in combination. These technologies are known to enable the cooking of rice at the desired temperature and consistency.
- Ergonomics and aesthetics: Consider their form factor, portability, and overall design as well. Several brands listed provide touch panels for easy usage, detachable inner parts for easy cleaning, and foldable handle for portability. Consider these factors from your perspective,and choose the best one.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Sakshi John offers high-quality information and expert assessments of furniture, home appliances, and kitchenware. She has compiled a list of the best Japanese rice cookers for you based on her extensive study and analysis of various forums. These cookers come in various models and types, allowing you to cook rice in a variety of ways. She has also included a detailed description of each product and a buying guide to help you buy as per your requirements based on bowl capacity, pan quality, ergonomics, and aesthetics.
To ensure that your rice is cooked each time perfectly, you must invest in a Japanese rice cooker. They feature several functions such as even heat distribution, quick-cooking, and multiple cooking modes. While there are many options, the best Japanese rice cookers must have a high bowl capacity, a better-insulated pan, and an easy-cleaning design. They must also be compact and portable with touch panels for easy usage. Lastly, choose cookers with standard heating technologies that offer desired temperature and consistency.