If your preferred mode of exercise after pregnancy is jogging, you should consider getting a jogging stroller instead of a regular one. Jogging strollers are indispensable for health-conscious parents and allow them to jog with the baby safely. In this MomJunction post, we present 13 best jogging strollers for parents who love to take their infants and toddlers along with them for a morning or evening run.
13 Best Jogging Strollers
- The front wheel has a wide swivel motion, which helps take sharp turns easily. Swivel function is lockable.
- Air-filled tires with a mountain bike-style suspension for extra durability.
- There’s a large storage basket at the bottom, which is accessible from the back of the stroller.
- Foot brake that works as a parking brake and helps keep the stroller in its place when not moving.
- Single hand brake lever slows down both the rear wheels.
- One hand recline pull tab at the back, which allows the parent to recline the baby seat in one go.
- Nine-position adjustable handlebar, which also has a safety tether to wear on your wrist.
- It can hold a maximum weight of 75lb (35kg).
- Sturdy, spoke-wheeled tires with a large 16-inch rim at the rear. Air-filled tires that absorb shocks better.
- The one-hand folding style makes the stroller quite portable. Self-standing design allows you to keep the stroller in a standing position without the need for support.
- The front wheel has a swivel lock. Handlebar mounted brake lever also works as a parking brake.
- The stroller fabric is water resistant and is easily cleanable. The five-point harness on the seat keeps the baby safe while moving.
- It has a canopy with extendable cover. There is a mesh window through which to see the baby.
- You can remove the canopy and the entire seat from the stroller frame. You can then attach a compatible Chicco KeyFit and Fit2 car seat to the frame.
- Maximum weight supported is for 55lb (25kg).
- The extended height and width of the seat make the ride comfortable for the baby. The backrest can be reclined in multiple ways.
- The wheels have a quick release feature, making it convenient to remove and store them separately in case of long-term storage.
- The easy compact-fold option makes it easy to carry the stroller while traveling.
- The frame is made of aluminum and has shock absorption suspension that soaks all the bumps for a smooth ride.
- A parent organizer dashboard near the handlebar allows the parent to store their keys and phone. It also has two cup holders.
- The maximum weight limit for the stroller is 75lb (34kg).
- Aerodynamic design with a lightweight frame and 16-inch wheels both at the front and the back.
- It comes with a bicycle-style brake lever on the handlebar along with a foot brake that you can use as a parking brake.
- Adjustable handlebar angle to find your perfect fit.
- The suspension setup is very superior and absorbs even the harshest of bumps.
- Extendable canopy with a transparent peek-a-boo window at the back for the parent to see their baby.
- You can roll up back of the canopy back to provide ventilation to the seated baby. Padded seat and harness.
- Storage pockets to store baby’s items and a large basket at the base as well.
- Maximum weight limit is 50lb (22.6kg).
- Large bicycle-style tires. Easy to remove when you want to repair the wheel or store the stroller in a compact position for a long time.
- Five-point harness helps keep the baby secure in place. The seat is padded for extra comfort of the infant.
- You can lock the swivel function of the front wheel while jogging.
- A canopy helps protect the baby against sunlight. A storage basket provides adequate storage.
- The stroller frame is sturdy and made of steel.
- Maximum weight limit is 50lb (22.6kg).
- The suspension is super shock absorbent and will make even the roughest of the terrains smooth for the baby.
- All tires are air-filled, and the rear tires are 16 inches in diameter.
- The twist handbrake control on the handlebar helps slow down the stroller on slopes.
- Parents can adjust the handlebar to the desired height, which is a useful feature for taller parents.
- The seat and footrest are both padded for maximum comfort of the baby.
- The flat-folding feature makes carrying and storing the stroller easier.
- The maximum weight limit is 75lb (34kg).
- This is a double jogging stroller with two seats. Each seat gets a baby tray with cup holders.
- The five-point harness on each seat keeps the babies/toddlers secure in their place while you jog.
- Has a large footboard and a canopy on top for sun protection.
- Two wheels at the front keep the stroller stable while jogging. You can lock the swivel function of both the front wheels.
- A parent tray has a covered storage bin and two cup holders. There are also small speakers that let you play music through your phone or an MP3 player.
- The maximum weight limit is 50lb (22.6kg) for each seat.
- Extra large wheels with a 16-inch single wheel at the front and two 18-inch wheels at the back that provide superior stability and control while jogging.
- The jogging stroller has an aerodynamic design and is specially made for parents who jog a lot.
- Shock absorbers on top of each rear wheel make a bumpy ride smooth.
- Twist-style handbrake on the handlebar allows for precision control during descent on slopes.
- A basket at the base of the stroller provides adequate storage space.
- A multi-position canopy protects your baby from sun and dust. Side windows on the canopy provide the baby ventilation while a top peek-a-boo window lets the parent look at the baby.
- The maximum weight holding capacity is 75lb (34kg).
- 16-inch diameter rear wheels and a 12-inch front wheel with swivel function. You can lock the swivel before jogging.
- The five-point harness on the well-padded seat secures the baby, while the backrest has a recline feature for the baby’s comfort.
- Compact fold for storage and portability.
- Storage basket at the base of the stroller provides sufficient space for storing the baby’s essentials.
- Maximum weight limit is 55lb (25kg).
- Air-filled tires with large wheels that also feature reflectors for low light visibility of the stroller.
- A storage box with two cup holders for the parent. Safety tether helps keep the stroller under control.
- Infant tray with a cup holder to hold the baby’s bottle.
- Polished ball bearings within the wheels help minimize resistance, enabling a smoother ride.
- An adjustable handle lets the parent find a suitable angle to push the stroller.
- Shock absorbers on the rear wheel soak all the bumps.
- Baby canopy is rated UPF 50+ for protection against UV rays.
- Maximum weight limit is 50lb (22.6kg).
- A lightweight frame that folds with ease and closes with a lock latch.
- The rear tires are easy to remove when you want to put the stroller away for long-term storage.
- Five-point harness along with shoulder straps.
- There is a child tray at the front, which swings out of the way to make placing and removing the baby from the stroller easy.
- Long safety tether to keep the stroller secure. Large stroller seat canopy with a sun visor. Peek-a-boo window at the back of the stroller.
- Adjustable handlebar and a parent tray with cup holders. The stroller comes with a free parent satchel bag that attaches to the back of the stroller and lets parents carry their essential items.
- Maximum weight limit is 45lb (20kg).
- Air-filled tires with swivel lock for the front wheel. Bicycle-style, spoke wheel. Reflectors on the rear wheel make the stroller visible in dark conditions too.
- Portable and features a one-hand fold to fold the stroller in a single move.
- Infant tray with two cup holders and space in between to place a toy or any other item for the baby.
- Parent tray features a smartphone holder, cup holder, and a storage compartment with a lid.
- Comes with car seat attachment points that let you fix any Graco Click Connect car seat.
- Maximum weight limit is 50lb (22.6kg).
- It is a complete travel system, including an infant car seat with the jogging stroller.
- The infant car seat connects with a single one-click attachment option. You can remove the main stroller seat to use the car seat all the time.
- Removable canopy with a mesh window at the back, for the parent to see the baby.
- An infant bar at the front acts as a handlebar that the baby can hold.
- Folds with a single pull. The folded stroller can stand without support.
- Compact shape allows easy placement in a car’s trunk, thus making the stroller portable and easy to carry while traveling.
- Maximum weight limit is 30lb (13.6kg).
When Is It Safe To Take A Baby In A Stroller?
According to the experts at the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, strollers are an ideal mode of transport for children between infancy and the age of three years (1). It is certainly risky and highly uncomfortable to jog with an infant in your arm. Jogging strollers let you enjoy jogging with zero risks.
[ Read : LuvLap Joy Baby Stroller Reviews ]
When Is It Safe To Go Jogging With A Baby?
There is no expert recommendation about the ideal baby age for a jogging stroller. Nevertheless, the general opinion is that the baby should be at least six months old, and preferably nine months old. At nine months, the baby’s muscles and skeleton are strong enough to get them into a sitting position, make them sit without support, pull to stand, and crawl (2).
The idea is that a nine-month-old can hold themselves in a jogging stroller better. But if you are still in doubt, it is best to consult a pediatrician. If your baby has a medical condition, then never go jogging with them before consulting a doctor first.
Who Should Get A Jogging Stroller?
You should get a jogging stroller if you regularly go for a jog or brisk walks with your baby. Standard strollers may not be adept at withstanding the bumps and bounces caused by jogging and brisk walking.
How Is A Jogging Stroller Different From Standard Stroller?
Jogging strollers display the following characteristics that make them distinct:
- Most have three wheels: Conventional strollers have four or more wheels, but the majority of jogging strollers only have three: one wheel at the front and two wheels at the back. The three-wheel setup provides better stability when the stroller is moving fast.
The risk of the stroller toppling when taking quick, sharp turns is also less. Some double jogging strollers that do have four wheels feature two front wheels at a much shorter distance than those on a standard stroller.
- Pliable suspension: Jogging strollers come with a suspension for better shock absorbency, which a standard stroller does not provide. A supple suspension helps absorbs shocks and bumps while jogging and makes the ride smooth for the baby.
- Air-filled, bicycle-style wheels: Several jogging strollers have bicycle-style wheels that are more durable. Even those strollers without spoke wheels will have at least air-filled tires that are better at going over bumps.
- Larger wheels and wheelbase: The wheel diameter is large. The wheelbase, which is the distance between the front wheel and the rear wheels, is also significant. It makes a jogging stroller longer and squatter than the usual strollers. It helps lower the center of gravity and keeps the stroller stable.
Jogging strollers have several exclusive features that make parents wonder how to pick the right one.
How To Choose A Jogging Stroller?
It is best to have the following features in your jogging stroller:
- Brakes: It is ideal to have a hand-operated or foot-operated brake on the stroller. A brake can help slow down the stroller if you are going down a slope. It is also useful when you want to park the stroller or are stopping on an inclined surface.
- Safety harness: It is a handlebar strap with its end wrapped around your wrist. It helps you control the stroller better, even if you accidentally lose grip of the handlebar.
- Five-point harness: A five-point harness attaches to the seat at five points: two at the shoulder, two at the sides, and one at the bottom. This harness is better at keeping the baby in position when you turn the stroller or are going over bumps.
- Easily removable wheel: Jogging stroller wheels take a lot of rough handling than standard stroller wheels. Therefore, they can be more susceptible to damage and punctures. The wheel should not be locked down at its position.
Instead, the manufacturer should make it easy to remove the wheel with a few turns of the wheel bolt. It helps you repair or replace the damaged wheel easily.
Choose a jogging stroller that works best for your lifestyle and style of jogging. Knowing your baby’s weight before getting a stroller is ideal since strollers have weight limits. Remember to always strap your baby/toddler securely in their seat before heading out to run.
Do you use a jogging stroller? Tell us more about it in the comment section below.
2. Important Milestones: Your Baby By Nine Months; Centers For Disease Control and Prevention