Both children and adults need physical activity to keep themselves fit. And as children spend the majority of their time on their screens indoors, you must encourage them to engage in physical activity. Giving them the best Jump rope for kids is a good way to accomplish this.
Rope jumping is a fun and effective physical activity that can keep children active and delighted at home. It is also a great tool if you’re organizing activities for your child’s birthday party or creating a physical training program for your children.
Robert Savin, a fitness coach, adds, “Introduce this fun and affordable activity to your children to stay active and healthy. It helps improve cardiovascular health, enhance coordination and motor skills, build endurance, and improve bone density. Moreover, it can be done anywhere, without requiring any special equipment.”
Read on as we bring you a list of expert-approved jump ropes from reliable brands that you can buy for your children.
Safety Tips To Follow While Using A Jump Rope
Jumping rope can be a good exercise routine for your children. However, some safety tips must be followed while your children use a jump rope.
- If your children are young, do not let them use a jump rope unsupervised.
- Make sure your child learns how to use a regular jump rope before giving it to them.
- Ensure the length of the jump rope is according to the height of your child.
- Check the rope and the handles regularly, and make sure they are functional and safe for use by children.
11 Best Jump Ropes To Keep Children Engaged At Home In 2023
1. Best Lightweight:Garage Fit Adjustable PVC Jump Rope
The length of the adjustable jump rope for children Garage Fit can be extended up to nine feet, making it suitable for both children and adults to enjoy a fun and effective workout. Its high-quality, durable PVC material ensures a smooth and reliable spin, while the lightweight design allows for portability and convenient storage.
- Molded polypropylene handle for superior grip
- One-year warranty
- Available in variety of color settings
- May take time to detangle
- Material may be a bit stiff
2. Best Comfortable Handles:GoxRunx Skipping Rope
The GoxRunx rope is suitable for fitness enthusiasts as well as experienced children, as the length of the rope can be adjusted as required. The rope handles have a double EVA foam layering — the inner layer is soft and provides utmost comfort, while the outer layer features sweat-absorbing and moisture-wicking properties. In addition, with their anti-slip design, the memory foam grip handles ensure a secure hold.
- 360-degree rotation ball bearing
- Durable steel wire rope
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor use
- May not be suitable for toddlers
- Might be too light for some
If you are looking for a simple jump rope for kids, try this beginner jump rope from Just Jump It. The tried-and-tested jump rope has been knotted at the ends with no handles and is perfect for playdates and gyms and can also be used by adults. Each rope is 16-foot long and is made of high-quality synthetic material that is smooth to touch and doesn’t hurt while skipping. You can choose from six colors available.
- Lightweight and soft to touch
- Knots instead of handles for a comfortable grip
- Lengthy—suitable for all age groups
- Too simple for a jumping rope
- Need to buy two ropes for double Dutch
Garage Fit Adjustable PVC Jump Rope
GoxRunx Skipping Rope
Best Comfortable Handles
Just Jump It Double Dutch Jump Rope
|Material||Polyvinyl Chlorine (PVC)||Alloy Steel, Polyvinyl Chlorine (PVC)||Polyurethane (PU)|
|Grip Material||Polypropylene||Memory Foam||Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene|
|Color||Black||Black Black||Blue Confetti|
|Handle Material||-||Memory Foam||Polypropylene|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
The Amble jump rope is a nylon rope wrapped with beads that maintain weight and keep the jumping rope in shape. The brightly colored beads, made of soft PVC, are tough and durable. The original length of the rope is 9ft, and the handle is 6.5in long. As per reviews, you can easily adjust the length of the rope to suit both adults and children. There are four different colors to choose from.
- Soft beads for durability
- Adjustable rope length
- Attractive colors
- Anti-slip grippy handles
- Quality may not be up to the mark
5. Best Multiplayer:Brightedly Long Jump Rope For Kids
The sixteen-foot jump rope for children from Brightedly can accommodate multiple children and is ideal for fitness and sports training. This braided jump rope is designed for beginners and experienced athlete’s needs. It has durable wooden handles, which offers a secure grip and is large enough to be used by adults as well as children. Additionally, the handles facilitate a smooth rotation and an enhanced skipping experience.
- Improves motor skills
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- Adjustable length
- Lead-free material
- Ideal for gifting
- Might be lighter than expected
6. Best Shatterproof:BuyJumpRopes Beaded Rope
This vibrantly colored jump rope for kids by BuyJumpRopes is lightweight and easily adjustable, offering hours of fun and activity for your child. To adjust the length, you need to add or subtract the beads from the beaded jump rope. It is made from durable, shatterproof PVC beads that can endure harsh and careless handling by children. Moreover, its segmented design offers more control and accuracy for children to engage in various games and fitness activities.
- Durable nylon cord
- Tangle-free design
- Comfortable grip
- Unbreakable handle
- Size may run small
- Beads may make a sound
These could be among the best jump ropes for children as they come with cute animal designs and attractive colors. The handles of these jump ropes have funny cartoon figurines at the ends, which can be attractive for children. Each jump rope has ergonomically designed handles and comes with a 6.5ft nylon rope that is durable and flexible, making it a trusted choice.
- Attractive colors and designs
- Flexible soft nylon rope
- Ergonomically designed wooden handle
- Made of safe and non-toxic materials
- May not be durable
8. Best Grip:Champion Sports Licorice Jump Rope
The Champion Sports licorice jump rope is suitable for gym workouts and fun activities. This durable jump rope is made from rubber, while the handles are made of plastic. The contoured handles offer an ergonomic grip making the rope convenient, comfortable, and fun for children to use. Liked by several reviewers, this active play jump rope for kids is available in various lengths and colors.
- Suitable for cross-training, boxing, or cardio workout
- Ideal for PE classes
- Lightweight design
- Suitable for children and adults
- May need to tighten the handle screws periodically
- May not be flexible enough
9. Best Child-Safe:Boley Kids Jump Rope Set
These child-friendly jump ropes are a trusted option to keep your little one engaged in a safe manner. They measure seven feet long and come in a set of 12 units, making them suitable for group activities and individual play. The colorful jump ropes for kids will catch the attention of most children. In addition, these quality jump ropes do not possess the usual beaded design. Instead, they have a plain texture, making them less hurtful. These time-tested jump ropes help improve the child’s coordination, agility, and cardio endurance while ensuring they have fun.
- Meets ASTM and ICTI safety standards
- Flexible design
- Durable material
- Textured handles
- Some may find the length to be a bit short
- May have a peculiar plastic smell
10. Best Breathable Handle:Refresh Sports Fun Jump Rope For Kids
The Refresh Sports fun jump rope has an adjustable length–it can be extended to 110 inches at its maximum. This rope is suitable for children of all ages and can be used by adults, too, because of its long length. The rope is made of high-grade plastic to ensure maximum durability, and the ergonomic handles have divets for breathability.
- Encourages active play in children
- Tangle-free design
- Even weight distribution
- Lightweight and durable
- Beads might be a bit hard
11. Best BPA Free:Green Toys Skipping Rope
The Green Toys skipping rope is made of recyclable, high-quality, non-toxic, BPA-free material, giving it a competitive edge over others. Its handles feature a comfortable design and are textured for superior grip. In addition, you can adjust the rope’s length to fit a variety of heights. Bring home this environment-friendly skipping rope to improve your child’s coordination, rhythm, balance, and muscle and bone strength.
- Suitable for ages five and up
- Soft cotton-based rope
- Improves concentration and brain activity and health
- Handles may be a bit flimsy
- Rope may fray with repeated use
Benefits Of Kids Jumping Rope
Jumping rope is a physical exercise with many benefits for children. Here are a few reasons to encourage your children to play jump rope regularly (1).
- Including jump rope in children’s physical training programs helps develop their motor skills and accelerate their speed.
- Skipping exercises are said to improve coordination, balance, agility, rhythm, and dynamic muscular strength.
- As rope jumping improves muscles of the arms and legs, it is also said to positively affect the cardiovascular system.
- Rope jumping is also said to increase muscle strength, endurance, mobility, and flexibility, thus facilitating improved body activity.
How To Choose The Right Jump Rope?
Here are a few important points to remember while purchasing a jump rope.
- Material: The material determines the performance of a jump rope. Most ropes are made of nylon, PVC, and some come wrapped in plastic beads. PVC ropes are thick and have a low-density and offer air resistance to control rotation speed, making them ideal for beginners.
- Adjustable length: Next, look for a rope with adjustable length, so that both kids and adults can use it.
- Handles: Choose a jump rope that comes with anti-slip and easy-to-hold handles. It is best to choose one that comes with plastic handles as wooden ones tend to break easily.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Keeping your children active can be a challenging task. Thus, our experienced writer and reviewer of children’s products, Wedetso Chirhah, has compiled this list of the best jump ropes for kids after evaluating numerous product reviews and ratings on trusted websites to meet your requirements. These types of jump ropes can help your little ones have fun while improving their motor skills. Moreover, Wedetso has also included a buying guide to help you choose the right jump rope.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How should I teach my children to jump rope?
One of the easiest ways to teach your children to jump rope is by having them hold an imaginary rope in their hands and pretend to jump through the rope each time it hits the ground. Once they are accustomed to this, you could give them a jumping rope and demonstrate how to use it.
2. What size jump rope do I need for my child?
Choose a jump rope size based on your child’s height. The length of the rope should be 3-3.5 feet taller than your child’s height. For example, if your child is four-foot tall, choose a rope measuring seven feet.
3. At what age should a child use jump rope?
Children aged three years old and above can start using a jump rope, but they may not get a hang of swinging and jumping at the same time until they are about six years old.
4. How thick should a jump rope be?
A 1/4th inch thick rope is ideal for children because jump ropes that are too thick may feel heavy.
5. Does jumping rope improve foot speed?
Yes, jumping rope is a good way to build strength and foot speed. This is possible with guidance from a fitness trainer and by focusing on the leg muscles.
6. Are all jump ropes the same?
No, jump ropes come in different sizes and are made using various materials, including fabric, PVC, plastic, leather, and steel cables. Most jumping ropes for children are made of cotton, nylon, and synthetic materials.
7. Is it safe for children to jump rope every day?
Yes, it is safe for children to jump rope every day, but the amount of time they spend jumping will depend on their strength, skill level, and physical condition. It is important to monitor their progress and adjust their routine accordingly.
Jumping ropes is a fun way to burn some calories or stay active. While children are not as drawn to other workout equipment and might struggle to find the underlying motivation to have an active lifestyle, a jumping rope can help them form that habit and step outside and away from their mobile phones and TV screens. Our reviewer-tested options include features like high-quality anti-slip handles and adjustable lengths, exemplified by the BuyJumpRopes Beaded Rope. If you prefer a lightweight jump rope, consider the Just Jump It Double Dutch Jump Rope. While many good-quality ropes are crafted from nylon and PVC, if you want a cotton-based option, the Green Toys Skipping Rope could be ideal. So, get one for your child and help them develop the habit of staying active.
Recommended Articles :
- Best Water Ski Ropes
- Best Exercise Balls
- Best Exercise Mats For All Your Floor Exercises
- Best Exercise Ball Chairs