Introduce your children to gardening with the help of the best kid’s gardening tools. Gardening is a fun outdoor activity that keeps your little ones close to nature, and the right gardening tools can encourage your child to explore more. Since adult gardening tools are unsafe for kids, it’s best to choose gardening sets specially designed for your little ones.
Take a look at our list of some of the best kids gardening tools. These expert-approved tools are safe to use and will help generate children’s interest in gardening and plants.
13 Best kids gardening tools
If your child shows signs of having a green thumb, the Jardineer toddler gardening tool set is appropriately curated to encourage them to explore their latent hobby. This unique set includes seven pieces of metal gardening tools that are suitable for small hands. In addition, this combo pack comes with an apron, gardening gloves, a watering can, and a garden tote bag for convenient storage.
- The tote bag is made of high-quality Oxford polyester.
- The tools do not have any sharp edges, making them safe for kids.
- All the tools and accessories in the pack have an adorable hedgehog design.
- This tool set is suitable for kids aged three years and up.
- Some tools may be smaller than expected.
- The metal tools may not be weather-resistant.
The gardening set by U+ME has everything children need to start their gardening journey. It features plastic-free tools that are an eco-friendly alternative to traditional plastic tools to prevent microplastic pollution. Some tools that are a part of this tested and trusted gardening kit are a spade shovel, a trowel, a rake, a kids watering can, and five wooden plant labels and peat pots each. With this easy-to-use set, your child can grow their favorite plants and learn the basics of gardening.
- This set encourages kids to play outside in nature.
- The tools are made of heavy-duty metal.
- It comes with a fabric tote bag to keep all the tools and accessories organized.
- The tools are ergonomically designed to suit children’s small hands.
- Some may find the tools too small.
- The watering can might leak.
If you are looking for an all-time favorite garden toolset, then you just found it. This little gardening tool bag comprises a rake, a tote bag, fork, kids gardening gloves, and a shovel. The handles of the tools are made of wood, and the heads are made of round-edged metals for safety.
- This toolset is made of durable material and can stand the test of the time.
- They are super safe, and you needn’t worry about your kid’s safety.
- This gardening tool set comes in a number of colors.
- The lettering on the bag might fade or peel off.
The Geyiie gardening tools set comprises nine pieces— including all the essential children’s gardening tools needed for young minds to learn how to garden. The tools are made from durable, child-safe materials that provide fun and learning for years while ensuring safety. In addition, this set also includes other practical accessories like an apron, watering can, and a box to keep all the tools organized.
- The apron included in the pack is waterproof.
- The watering can features a handy design and is leakproof.
- This set is suitable for kids between the ages of three and eight.
- All the tools in the pack are free of sharp edges, ensuring no injury to little hands.
- The tools may be smaller than expected.
- Some tools may bend if they undergo rough play.
The Roca Home Kids Curated Garden Box is ideal for the young gardener at your home. This curated box is filled with fun gardening arts and crafts, a pair of gardening gloves, a set of gardening tools, and more. It’s a wonderful way to introduce your child to nature and how to nurture it. This review video showcasing a tester’s experience will give you more insights into the product.
- This ROCA curated garden box offers endless hours of entertainment for your kids.
- It features a learning guide about gardening, STEM subjects, and much more.
- It also helps your kids to learn more about science and nature.
- The curated garden box may not be useful as the kid gets older.
The unicorn-themed gardening tool set by Joyin is a suitable gift for children who like gardening and find unicorns fascinating. This fun and creative set includes a watering can and planter, a sun hat, gloves, and kids gardening apron to keep your child’s hands and clothes dirt-free and safe from sun rays. According to the reviewers, the vibrant colors and adorable unicorn design will help encourage your child’s imagination as they engage in various gardening activities.
- The tools have rounded edges to ensure safety.
- The pack includes a high-quality, durable garden tote bag to carry all the tools and accessories.
- The set is made of non-toxic, BPA-free materials and is safety test-approved.
- The sun hat comes with an adjustable drawstring to help prevent sunburn.
- The opening of the watering can may be too narrow.
- The gloves may run big for some.
The watering can toy by Green Toys is an eco-friendly gardening set that includes a few essential gardening tools for your little one. This colorful toy is made from 100% recycled plastic milk jugs and is free from BPA and other toxic materials, ensuring your child’s safety. The safety-tested toy can help teach your child about gardening, the environment, and the importance of caring for our planet.
- The tools are dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning.
- The design of the tools is child-friendly.
- The tools are lightweight for easy grabbing and carrying.
- The set is suitable for a wide age range from 18 months to ten years.
- The rope handle may not be comfortable for holding the watering can.
- Water may pour out of the can quicker than expected.
The Liberty Imports Garden Wagon & Tools Toy Set for Kids is one of a kind kid’s gardening kit that comes with several functional implements. The set consists of a fork, children’s gardening rake, spade, wrench, and much more. Whether your young one decides to use it on the beach or in your backyard, they are going to have a blast.
- It comes with eight different gardening tools from a pick mattock and watering can to a spade.
- This gardening set also comes with two sets of small and large flowerpots.
- The vibrant colored tools breathe life into the mundane gardening routine.
- This toolset is perfect for tiny hands and even easier to carry around for your young one.
- This kid’s gardening toolset is not so sturdy enough for actual gardening.
The Gardenline Kids Gardening Toolset is primarily made for kids who are eight to ten years of age. This trusted set consists of many tools ranging from a watering can, a shovel, to a beautiful bag along with children’s gardening gloves. The tools have rounded metal edges to minimize injuries.
- This miniature gardening tool comes along with a bag for keeping all your tools in one place.
- The metal edges with wooden handles give it a real feel.
- This kids’ gardening toolset comes with gardening gloves so that the hands never get dirty.
- The watering can is very small and barely holds any water.
If you are looking for kids’ gardening tools that look like real tools but are made for safe usage by kids, then the Click N Play gardening tool set is the perfect choice for you. It comes with four sturdy tools with wooden handles and a leather loop for easy hanging. This tried-and-tested product is ideal for kids aged five years and up.
- It features a leaf rake, rake, kids gardening shovel, and hoe, with each tool measuring approximately. 27. 5 inches long.
- The tools have rounded metal edges with wooden handles and are specially sized to be safe, comfortable, and enjoyable for your young one.
- The tools are durable and sturdy to withstand weather and time.
- The tools seem durable, but the screws may not hold up.
Looking for a push toy? Why not go for a wheelbarrow? Kids have love to move around with their toys, and the G & F wheel barrel toy is the perfect outdoor toy for your young one who is eager to assist you with cleaning the yard.
- It’s a real metal wheelbarrow that hauls over 50 pounds.
- The whole tray body and handles are made out of real metal to help it sustain weather and time.
- The metal edges are rounded to keep your little one’s fingers from getting scratched.
- Although the instructions illustrate that washers are included, there were no washers other than with the wheel pin.
- After regular use, the paint tends to come off a little, and it also results in rusting.
This wonderful 3-piece garden tool set from Toysmith is perfect for your little beginner and includes everything that a young gardener needs to keep them engrossed in gardening for hours. This skill-building set includes a rake, trowel, and children’s gardening shovel. This is perfect for a family Sunday out in the sun!
- These are highly functional, high-quality tools designed to ensure quality family time along with a fun outdoor playtime.
- This toolset is made of durable and sturdy material – the heads are made of metal, while the handles are made of wood with a smooth finish to minimize injuries to your little gardener.
- The tools feature vibrant, bright, fun colors, and measure up to 8.5-inches in length.
- The paint might chip and get rusty too.
This tried-and-tested gardening tool set includes a rake, a spade, a hoe, and a leaf rake that are made of highly durable wood that offers your child a firmer grip while gardening. It also reduces the risk of any accidents to young ones and also helps them enjoy some time under the sun, gardening and learning new skills.
- The tools are constructed of highly durable wood and metal that lasts longer.
- These tools are the perfect size for your toddlers.
- This toolset comes in super cute and bright colors that will encourage your child to go outside and get their hands dirty.
- The silicon handle isn’t so securely connected.
What Are The Benefits Of Gardening For Kids?
Gardening is great for your kids as it keeps them close to nature and in the outdoors. Some of the other benefits of gardening for children include:
- Sensory Development: Gardening engages aids in developing hand-eye coordination and also builds physical strength.
- Encourages Healthy Eating: Gardening with your children can also help them gain a keen interest in healthy eating too.
- Teaches Responsibility And Patience: Growing a plant or vegetable requires attention and care. Thus, gardening is a great way to teach your kids responsibility and patience.
Safety Tips For Children While Using Gardening Tools
Gardening with your children needs your attention as small children can easily injure themselves. Here are a few safety gardening tips to keep in mind when using garden tools for kids.
- Teach them how to handle the tools properly. Tell not to use the tools for anything but gardening.
- Teach them to always hold the wooden handle and not the metal side.
- Never let your kids wander around while gardening as they may trample or step on something.
- Do watch your children from poisonous and harmful plants while they help you with gardening or use children’s gardening hoe
- Make sure they wear protective clothing, such as a gardening hat and gloves. If they are about to spend time under direct sunlight, have them apply sunscreen first.
How To Choose The Right Gardening Tools For Your Children?
Here are a few ways to choose the best gardening tool for your kids:
- Look for a full toolset: There are a few child-sized garden tools that come with additional tools and aid in easy gardening.
- Look for safety: It’s imperative to look for a gardening set that is safe for your kids and minimize injuries.
- Look to fit your bill: There is a wide range of kids gardening tools available in the market but pick one that doesn’t burn a hole in your pocket.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah is a writer, editor, and product reviewer with experience in compiling reviews and informative content about various children’s products and household items. After thorough research and assessing multiple platforms, he has compiled interesting yet safe kids’ gardening tools that might help you introduce the fun outdoor activity to your kids. You may go through the pros and cons of each product and the detailed buying guide to choose the right high-quality tool for your child.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are metal tools good for children of any age?
No, all-metal tools may not be safe for kids. Get tools with rounded metal heads and wooden handles, or plastic tools.
2. Would a gardening kit be good for a high-anxiety child?
Yes. Gardening is known to help develop social skills and also boost confidence among children.
If your child is interested in gardening, investing in some of the best gardening tools for kids can help them develop their passion. Gardening may also improve your child’s sensory and fine motor skills. It is also essential to check if these tools have sharp edges to avoid injuries while your little one is busy gardening. You can check out the Toyrifik Little Gardener Tool Set, which is easy to use and made of safe materials, making it a child-friendly choice. We also recommend the Green Toys Watering Can Toy, which is dishwasher-safe, and the G & F 10041 JustForKids Wheel Barrel, which is weather-resistant and safe for little hands.
Infographic: How To Encourage Children To Garden
Gardening and spending time outdoors amid nature can have a lot of mental and physical benefits. Taking care of self-planted flowers, fruits, and other flora can help your child develop patience and routine. It can also help children understand how nature works. Follow the infographic to make your child interested in gardening.
Do let us know about your choice of the gardening tool for your kid in the comment section below.
- Gardening For Children
- Best Spongebob Toys For Kids
- Best PS3 Games For Kids And Family
- Best Toys For 8,9 And 10-Year-Old Boys