Planning a camping trip with your family is a great idea as outdoor adventures can teach the children something new and interesting about nature. While trying to get them acquainted with the wilderness, you should ensure comfort and safety, especially when planning to spend the night out in the woods.
A camping sleeping bag is a must-have when you’re in the outdoors with the kids, as it allows your children to sleep snugly in cold temperatures and on uneven surfaces. The right sleeping bag could be a great addition to your outdoor gear and used as a carry-on bed for your child’s sleepovers or slumber parties. The two common models of sleeping bags are rectangular and mummy sleeping bags.
Keep reading to know more about these camping accessories and a list featuring some of the best kids sleeping bags that you can consider buying for your children.
11 Best Kids Sleeping Bags
Kelty sleeping bags are designed to fit children up to 5ft in height. The double-layered, offset-quilted construction keeps your children cozy, while the cloud loft insulation ensures warmth and durability. This children’s sleeping bag comes in two color options and is recommended for children aged four to twelve years.
- 66D polyester taffeta shell
- Double-layers, quilted construction
- Draft tube body for easy maneuvering
- Easy-to-operate zipper
- Comes with a color stuff sack
- Adjustable length up to 12in
This sleeping bag for kids could be ideal for your outdoor trips, as it can keep the body warm at low temperatures and comfortable at high temperatures. It comes with a double-batt, offset quilt construction that keeps the bag uniformly warm. The sleeping bag measures 60 x 26in and can fit children up to 5ft in height.
- Keeps warm up to 50°F (10°C)
- Glow in the dark design
- Thermo lock draft tube design for high-quality insulation
- Snag-free zippers
- Small tuck pocket inside
- Easy-to-roll for storage
- Stuff sack included
This durable sleeping bag is made of an outer taffeta shell, keeping in mind a child’s comfort. The Celsius sleeping bag can keep your little one warm, up to 20°F (-7°C) and comes in three colors.
- Durable taffeta shell
- Draft tube design that is easy-to-use
- Full-length zipper
- No-snag, two-way zippers
- Inner pocket
- Comfortable lining that is soft to touch
- Stuff sack included
- Raised edges to give extra support to the head and the body
The Redcamp sleeping bag creates a cozy spot for the child to sleep in the wilderness while keeping them safe and comfortably warm on cold nights. Among the best sleeping bags for children, it measures 74 x 28 x 188cm and weighs 1.4kg.
- Suitable for a temperature range of 50-77°F (10-25°C)
- Detachable zipper hood
- Two bags can be combined to make one large sleeping bag
- Small pocket with Velcro straps in the inner lining
- Another zipper at the end of the bag to allow air in
- One-pull string for safety
- Storage bag included
If your children like to sleep stretch or tend to move a lot in their sleep, then this sleeping bag with a unique, wavy shape might be a good choice. The exterior is made of durable 190T embossed soft polyester, which is breathable and water-resistant, while the interior is lined with soft polyester to give your child a cozy feeling. Available in kids’ and teens’ variants.
- Waterproof exterior
- Front zipper for ease of use
- A hood to trap heat and avoid cold spots
- Glows in the dark
- Attractive constellation design
- Long-lasting and anti-fade fabric
- Durable, anti-pinch zippers
- Stuff sack included
The Wildkin’s kids’ sleeping bag is made of a super soft material that is a blend of cotton and polyester. Each sleeping bag measures 57 x 1.5 x 30in and comes with a comfortable design and a matching little pillow. The eye-catchy patterns might make these sleeping bags your child’s favorite sleep companion.
- Kid-friendly design and pattern
- Includes a matching pillow
- Super soft materials
- Easy to roll up and store
- Comes with a stuff sack
- Suitable for children aged three to ten years
This versatile sleeping bag can also be used as a blanket. It has a zipper that runs throughout the body and opens up the bag into a blanket. The exterior is made of 190T polyester taffeta with a quilt construction that offers durability, whereas the interior is filled with soft polyester that can keep your kids warm and comfortable. It comes in pink and blue colors with an attractive moose design.
- Oversized for a comfortable sleep
- Quilt construction for durability
- Soft polyester filling as the insulating material
- Unzips to convert into a blanket
- Inner fabric is breathable
- Stuff sack included
Is your kid planning their first slumber party? Then this cute unicorn sleeping bag might make it even more exciting. It is made of soft faux fur fabric and has a unicorn head-shaped hood. The overall dimensions are 26 x 60in.
- Cute and adorable design
- Extremely detailed and features the unicorn’s ears, eyes, and nose
- Made with super soft and comfy faux fur
- Hood to keep children warm and cozy
- Lavender-colored interior
This sleeping bag comes in three height, namely little red (for kids up to 4’5’’), wolverine (for kids up to 5’), and duster (for kids up to 5’6’’). Each sleeping bag has a mummy design that allows the bag to hug your child’s body and provide warmth at temperatures of up to 15°F (-9°C).
- Unique mummy design for high-quality insulation
- Contoured hood that is a perfect fit for the head
- Low profile cord lock to remove the hood easily
- Includes mesh storage sack
- Waterproof polyester ripstop exterior
- Inner soft polyester lining with FireLine Core synthetic filling
Children grow up quickly, so it is wise to buy things that can grow with them. This sleeping bag from Tough Outdoors could be a great option as it can fit kids up to 5’1″ and provide enough room for your little wigglers and their favorite stuffed toy.
- Can fit children up to 5’1’’ in height
- Plenty of room to stretch out
- Suitable for all the three seasons
- Temperature range of 40-65°F (4℃-18℃)
- An inner storage pocket
- Unzips three sides and converts into a blanket
- Includes a stuff sack
- Machine-washable in cold water
Made with waterproof 170T polyester, this sleeping bag from 3OWL is perfect for camping, hiking, and travel. It is mummy-shaped and hugs your child’s body to keep it warm and cozy. The inner lining is made of comfortable poly-cotton and a polyester filling and provides insulation from 40-60°F (4℃-15℃).
- Body-hugging mummy design for better insulation
- Comfortable poly-cotton lining
- Hood with drawstrings that covers the entire head
- Additional tube insulation around the neck and shoulder area
- Draft tube around the zipper to prevent heat loss
How To Choose The Right Sleeping Bag?
The effectiveness of a sleeping bag depends on various factors, so keep the following points in mind while buying a sleeping bag for your children.
- Shape: Sleeping bags could be rectangular or mummy-shaped. The former is best for summer and spring, whereas the latter is necessary for high-quality insulation when camping during the winters.
- Materials: Choose a sleeping bag with the outer layer made of taffeta as it is said to be tough and durable. If the interior is made of soft polyester, then it would be soft and cozy for your children.
- Size: Pick a sleeping bag that is perfect for your child’s height, as oversized bags may not give the needed insulation, and might cause discomfort. You can also choose those that have adjustable heights so that it grows along with your child.
- Temperature range: Each sleeping bag has a temperature range within which it can provide insulation. Know this range and buy one that suits your camping needs.
Although a sleeping bag is designed for durability, you need to inspect them from time to time to check if they are saggy or have lost their shape. Also, you need to neatly fold the sleeping bags and store them in the stuff stack to retain their shape. Investing in a good quality sleeping bag is worth it if you and your children love spending time outdoors.