There’s no denying that winter is one of the most magical times of the year. However, you need to take certain precautions before stepping out into the cold with your children. For instance, you need to invest in the best kids’ winter coats to keep your little one warm and cozy.
Good winter jackets are thick and soft, making them ideal for children. The quality of the jacket is also an important factor since it determines how warm your child will be in it. But how do you choose the right jacket for your child? Our list comprising best-selling and widely recommended winter coats list will help you pick something super comfortable and versatile.
13 Best Kids’ Winter Coats To Keep Them Warm In 2024
Winter coats for boys
Your search for winter coats for boys ends here. These are some of the best winter jackets that are thermally insulated and packed with functional features.
1. Best Lightweight: The Children’s Place Big Boys’ Faux Fur Lined Parka
Fashion meets fun with this tried-and-trusted olive green faux fur stylish boy’s winter coat. Let your little ones be warm in this cozy kids’ winter coat.
- Quality gear made of 100% cotton fabric.
- Parka jacket for children comes in two color variants and fits well
- Has two front pockets
- Lined with faux fur inside to keep your boy warm
- Water-resistant and works even in the lowest temperatures.
- Lightweight coat design gives a comfortable wearing experience
- Can be washed in the machine.
- Might shed a little
- Pockets may not be placed right
"The coat's exceptional quality and resistance against elements had me choose this for my energetic kid. Although I was confused about the size, sizing up a bit got me a generous and comfortable fit. Overall, a solid piece to consider for added warmth."
2. Best Breathable: Under Armour Pronto Puffer Jacket
This hooded puffer kids’ winter jacket is ideal for cold winter days as it boasts quality craftsmanship and helps keep the body warm and cozy.
- Water repellent and breathable
- Various color options
- 100% polyester
- Insulated kids’ coat with quilting for optimal warmth
- Lightweight and three-piece hood construction
- Zipper may not be durable
- Lining might be crinkly
"I like this jacket's thick and durable material, which is warm enough for chilly weather without feeling bulky and holds up well against rough play. All in all, it's a solid winter care option for my kid."
3. Best For Extra Warmth: London Fog Active Puffer Winter Coat
The durable fleece-lined coat for kids by London Fog is fashionable enough the ace the stringest stylistic evaluations. This puffy coat is a comfortable winter outerwear with a hood to keep kids warm during chilly days.
- Hook-and-loop closure
- Polar fleece lining for extra warmth
- Zippered pockets for extra storage
- Hood might be short
- Might be too snug
"The way this jacket offers complete care and comfort to my child against chilly weather is truly impressive. Although I'm not a fan of the detachable hood, its decent design and warmth make it a good option."
4. Best With Roomy Pockets: Columbia Boys’ Rugged Sherpa Lined Jacket
The Columbia Boys’ Rugged Ridge Sherpa Lined Jacket is designed for rough and tough use for outdoor activities. This adjustable kids’ winter coat is made from 100% polyester—a lightweight and durable material—allowing your child to play freely.
- Two warm hand pockets for extra storage
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Breathable fabric
- Machine washable for easy care
- Full zip closure for an adjustable and snug fit
- Available in multiple color and size options
- May not be suitable to use in warmer climates
- Fleece material may not be very durable
"This sherpa jacket has found a permanent place in my son's wardrobe. From comfort and warmth to practicality, it ticks all the boxes for us. While its rain-repellent material keeps him prepared for rainy winter mornings, it's lightweight enough to be tucked in backpacks."
5. Best Windproof: ZShow Padded Winter Jacket
This time-tested windproof winter coat for kids is cozy enough to help them comfortably sail through those cold days.
- Various vibrant color options
- Fleece lining and cotton padding
- High-density windproof shell
- Zipper and button closure
- Elastic cuff ribs for a snug fit
- Multiple pockets
- Fleece-lined collar
- Might run small
- Might be slightly rough on the skin
Winter coats for girls
Here are some winter coats for girls that are pretty, stylish, and are sure to keep your daughter toasty warm even during chilly weather conditions.
6. Best Tagless: Cuddle Club Fleece Baby Bunting Bodysuit
The Cuddle Club bodysuit is a snuggly one-piece hooded romper with quality craftsmanship that can keep your little one comfortable and help them fight the cold weather.
- Durable and washer friendly
- Comes in various designs
- Tagless design for added comfort
- Warm and breathable
- Asymmetrical zipper closure and rollover cuffs for quick and easy changing
- May not be waterproof
- Zipper may poke the baby’s chin
"What I love about this baby suit is that it's warm and cozy yet not bulky. Its thoughtful fold-over mittens and footies are ideal for my baby's practical needs. Although it may not work for the harshest weather conditions, I'm still happy with the purchase."
7. Best Vibrant: Roxy Snow Jacket
Here’s a colorful and vibrant printed snow jacket for kids to brighten up gloomy winter days.
- Made of polyester
- Has an inner lining made from a combination of embossed taffeta fabric and brushed tricot fabric
- Snap-away powder skirt system gives it a stylish look
- Detachable hood and a pocket
- Available in six color variants
- Fur trim may not be comfortable
- No thumb holes on the wrist gaiters
"This winter jacket is my niece's all-time favorite winter wear. While its roomy design allows comfortable growth, the removable fur trim makes it versatile for her wearing preferences. It looks so good in pictures too."
8. Best Faux Fur Coat: Widgeon Long Faux Fur Hooded Jacket
Unicorns and rainbows! This pretty and warm coat for kids is sure to become your girl’s new favorite addition to the closet.
- Made of 100% polyester
- Zipper closure with side pockets
- Faux fur inner lining for warmth
- Cozy hood
- Length might be a tad short
- Open and closing the zipper may not be easy
9. Best Machine-Washable: Rothschild Faux Wool Coat
This quality gear is a fashionable, dress-style thermal coat for children to adorn your daughter for winter evenings, parties, or casual outings.
- Made with a blend of polyester, spandex, and rayon
- Trendy coat features ruffles that up the style quotient
- Flare shape to give it a classy and elegant look
- May run small
- Inside finish may not be satisfactory
"After observing my kid wearing this jacket for a while, I can vouch for its quality craftsmanship and endurance against all seasons. It's soft, cozy, and offers a snug fit. I have also bought another one for gifting my son's friend."
10. Best Water-Resistant: Eddie Bauer Kids’ Jacket
This is a stylish girl’s winter coat by the trusted brand Eddie Bauer. The lightweight coat is crafted from 100% polyester and features a StormRepel finish that causes moisture to bead and roll off, making this down-filled kids’ winter coat water-resistant.
- Full-length zipper closure for easy wear
- Machine washable
- Suitable for daily wear
- 650 fill power and Responsible Down Standard (RDS)-certified
- Available in various color and size options
- May not completely block the wind
- May not be as thick
"I love this jacket's warm yet lightweight material that gives my kids comfort and ease of movement. Despite the tricky zipper mechanism, it's a good-to-go option for moderately cold weather."
11. Best Insulated: Arctix Jackalope Insulated Winter Jacket
Infused with 140gm ThermaTech insulation, this waterproof coat for children by Arctix can keep your child warm and comfortable in temperatures as low as -20°C.
- Made of durable polyester
- Has a waterproof and wind-resistant coating
- Zippered pockets keep the hands warm
- Adjustable cuffs
- Available in multiple color and size options
- Zipper may be a bit flimsy
- Seams might start to fray over time
"My kid has been using this jacket for the last few seasons, and it has been a reliable companion for overall comfort and warmth. Since he's always on the go, its roomy design gives him all the flexibility to move around freely. As a whole, it is a worthy choice for snow adventures."
12. Best With Inner Padding: DNggAND Snowsuit
With this widely tried-and-tested padded winter coat for children, your girl can head out in the snow with zero worries.
- Wind-proof and water-resistant material
- Warm inner padding
- Full-length zipper closure
- Two slip pockets to keep the hands warm
- Shoulders may be large and boxy
- Fur lining may not be thick
"My daughter loves wearing this cozy winter jacket, especially for its dreamy color. Its true-to-size fitting makes it comfortable for her. Although the vibrant pink faded over time, I'm happy with the purchase."
13. Best Comfy: Bangely 3D Cartoon Ear-Hooded Coat
Here’s a cute hooded girl’s coat that will give your adorable little child a bear-like look. This winter gear for kids can act as an extra layer of protection while playing outdoors.
- Made with a blend of cotton and faux fur material that is breathable and comfy
- Cartoon ear design hood provides warmth and looks cute
- Lined with faux fur fleece for extra coziness
- Has a full-length zipper closure
- Might shed
- Might run small
How To Choose The Right Winter Coat?
Buying the right coat may get tricky due to changing fashion trends, emerging styles, or brand preferences. These are some points to keep in mind while purchasing the best winter coat for your child.
- An ideal winter coat protects the child from an extreme cold but is also breathable.
- It should be warm, functional, and have useful pockets.
- A good jacket retains body heat while preventing cold air from entering inside.
- It should preferably be water and snow-resistant, and windproof.
- The size should be just right; neither too tight nor too loose.
- It should be waterproof, and well-fitted.
- Having features like hoods and reflective detailing can also be helpful.
- Avoid bulky coats made of heavy fabrics to ensure easy movement.
Buying the right winter coat is essential to enjoy the season to its fullest. Some winter coats are also multi-functional, and they can really go a long way.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many winter coats do kids need?
Your child needs at least two winter coats so that when one is dirty, they can wear another one. Also, choose at least one black or brown jacket because they complement almost every color of clothing.
2. What type of kid’s winter coat is the warmest?
It depends on the material of the winter coat. Wool, faux fur, and fleece are some of the warmest materials for winter coats.
3. Are snowsuits better than winter coats?
Snowsuits are a better choice when it’s snowing outside, or you’re going snowboarding. However, winter coats are suitable for the winter season.
4. Is a puffy jacket good for winter?
Puffy coats and jackets are quite good for the extreme winter season. They keep you warm for a long time due to the interior padding.
5. At what temperature should kids start wearing winter coats?
Typically, children should start wearing light winter coats when the temperature is about 44 degrees and a heavy-duty warmer jacket when the temperature is below 30 degrees.
6. Do kids need waterproof winter coats?
Yes, children need waterproof winter coats, especially if it’s snowing outside, to protect them from the external cold; otherwise, the excess moisture can penetrate the material and make them feel cold.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag, our product writer and reviewer, has valuable experience analyzing fashion, clothing, and personal care products using her research skills. She has conducted trend analysis and gone through multiple websites and forums to look for products with top reviews and ratings to list the best kids’ winter coats. Poulami also provides a detailed buying guide that serves as a useful reference for choosing the right winter gear for your child.
Keep your little ones cozy and well-protected from the cold breeze this winter. The best kids’ winter coats listed here are great options to prepare your family for the upcoming festive season. These colorful winter coats for kids have been carefully chosen to give your children optimum warmth and comfort through the harsh cold. When picking one for your child, ensure it is made of wind-proof and snow-resistant material—polyester, spandex, and rayon are some excellent options. You may also choose a best-selling one that comes with quality zippers and pockets.
Infographics: Why Are Winter Coats Important?
Your body loses heat quicker than it is produced. So, you need a soft winter coat to trap your body’s heat to stay warm in the cold weather. Also, your child can fall sick without adequate protection from the cold. Check out the infographic below to understand the importance of a winter coat.
- Best Swimming Goggles for Kids
- Best Winter Coats for Kids
- Best Boxing Gloves for Kids
- Best Hats for Kids