You must have sneezed or coughed at least a couple of times while cooking an Indian meal. The spices add aroma to the food, but they can also irritate your nasal cavity as you inhale the smoke-filled with oil and traces of spices in the food.
The constant use of oil also tarnishes your beautiful kitchen walls, making them sticky. To prevent that and minimize the need to scrub oil stains in the kitchen, get home a kitchen chimney.
The useful smart kitchen appliance is installed above the gas stove or countertop to easily absorb smoke, dust, and any pungent odors that settle in the air. To help you choose a good kitchen chimney, we tell you about the chimneys’ types and list some of the best kitchen chimneys in India.
Types of Kitchen Chimneys
The kitchen chimneys come in varying shapes and sizes. They are categorized depending on the filter’s material, which plays a significant role in keeping your kitchen smoke free. Here are the three types of filters in kitchen chimneys based on their distinct features.
- Mesh or cassette chimneys: This is an original and standard type of filter used in most chimneys. The filter contains multiple aluminum or steel mesh layers to trap solid particles carried by smoke and lets the smoke out. It requires high maintenance as a lot of grime settles on the filter. The blockages also tend to reduce the suction capacity of the filter.
- Baffle chimneys: Baffle type filters use curved panels that direct the smoke out and trap the grease inside. They are improved type over mesh filters, easy to clean, and require less maintenance.
- Carbon chimneys: Carbon filters contain activated carbon to absorb the bad odor and grease particles from the kitchen vapors. They can be used in the duct or ductless chimneys and require high maintenance as the carbon blocks absorb the grease.
11 Best Kitchen Chimneys In India
Hindware’s kitchen chimney has a high suction capacity of 1200m3/h. The curved glass, wall-mounted chimney takes out all the kitchens’ harmful gases to provide a neat and hassle-free cooking experience. It has one-touch controls on the front panel, and the thermal auto clean technology ensures quick automatic clean-up. It includes an oil collector cup, a metallic blower, a stainless steel baffle filter, and 180W motor power.
- Energy-efficient LED lamps
- Feather touch controls
- Suits normal voltage levels of 220-240V
- Long duct pipe of six to seven feet
- Noise level may be relatively high
Ideal for two- and four-burner stoves, Eurodomo’s kitchen chimney has an elegant black colored body with curved glass. Its auto-clean technology makes it easy for daily kitchen use. The chimney features LED lights to light up the cooking space and a stylish touch control panel to serve various modes and operations.
It has a high suction capacity of 1200m3/h, and the stainless steel baffle filters prevent the collection of smoke and residue particles in the kitchen. Also, the oil collector of the chimney can be easily cleaned with soap and water.
- Easy and quick operation
- Supports smoke- and dust-free cooking
- Two powerful LED lights
- Modernizes the kitchen through smart operations
- Requires occasional cleaning; once every six months
- Easy-to-clean built-in oil collector
- Does not include an exhaust pipe
Faber’s kitchen chimney uses three-way suction technology to offer reliable performance. The triple-layer baffle filter sucks in all the extra smoke, and a button can be used to control the suction speed. It has a 250W powerful motor that is durable. The exclusive technology separates grease particles, and the baffle filter can easily be cleaned either manually or in the dishwasher.
- Powerful suction capacity
- Long-lasting push-button controls
- Can be used over two- or four-burner gas stoves
- Effectively circulates the air to remove the kitchen odor
- Produces noise
Sunflame chimney uses a heat-operated auto-clean function to provide easy maintenance. Made of high-quality stainless steel and matte finish, it adds an attractive look to the kitchen. The user-friendly feather-touch controls and sturdy construction make it the right choice for Indian kitchens.
Built for wall-mounting purposes, it has two easy-to-clean filters, two LED lamps for better light while cooking, and a suction capacity of 1100m3/h.
- Runs on pure copper winding motor
- Presence of oil collector
- Recirculates the air effectively
- Produces less noise
- Auto clean chimney
- Top cover of the blower is relatively thin
- Plates are difficult to clean
The Elica Chimney has a one-touch control panel, oil collector, 1200m3/h suction capacity, and stainless steel baffle filter for smoke-free cooking. This curved glass model can be wall-mounted and produces a maximum noise of 58dB. Ideal for two- or four-burner stoves, this will help give your kitchen some style.
- Good airflow capacity
- Collects food residues conveniently
- Trendy touch controls
- Energy efficient
- Easy-to-maintain filters
- Rust-free design
- LED lamps
- Poor suction power
The Eurodomo Kitchen Chimney comes in a pretty sleek curved glass with a black finish. It includes an easy user manual to understand its operations. The auto-clean function with an oil collector ensures easy cleaning. It sucks all the smoke and residue released from cooking and stores it conveniently.
- Smart elegant body
- Heat auto-clean technology
- LED lights brighten the cooking space
- 1200m3/h auto suction runs great
- Responsive and powerful
- Touch panel with digital display
- Stainless steel baffle filters
- Installing the product takes time
The Inalsa chimney is a pyramid-style wall mounting piece. It has a black powder-coated body that looks elegant and shiny. Suitable for two- and four-burner stoves, it has a suction capacity of 1250 m3/h. It can withstand both heavy frying and grilling. With touch control and motion sensors, it is a smart system for your kitchen. It has two LED lights and two-speed settings to adjust the design as per the need.
- Stainless steel oil collector
- Runs on filter-less technology
- Includes an instruction manual
- Tough glass top enhances durability
- Auto-clean technology makes the cleaning easy
- Captures grease and cooking odors
- Provides greater airflow
- May produce more noise
Surya offers an auto-clean kitchen chimney that requires the least maintenance. It holds a big metal motor and metal blower to run efficiently, along with an adjustable three-speed motor. The hand sensor enables the chimney to operate just by waving your hand and emits low noise when in operation mode. Also, there is an oil collector cup that makes cleaning easy.
- Unbreakable tough glass build
- Utilizes fingerprint-proof stainless steel
- Runs on heavy copper efficient motor
- Auto-timer helps turn it off automatically
- Effective baffle filter chimney
- LED lights for good visibility
- Does not include an installation kit
Bright Flame’s Kitchen Chimney runs on a 230W motor that works smoothly and effectively for hassle-free cooking. Get this chimney, and you may not have to worry about cleaning the kitchen with unwanted odors, excessive smoke, and oil-splits. There is a touch push-button for easy operation, speed controls, and chimney controls to regulate the system as per your need.
- High suction capacity of 1100m3/h
- Maintains a low noise level of 55-61dB
- Three-speed settings
- Baffle filter operates efficiently
- Ducted hood type and curved structure gives it a unique grand look
- Auto-clean mode is not available
Seavy’s Chimney is built from stainless steel and tough glass. It has one fixed stainless steel filter and a removable plastic oil cup for easy cleaning with soap and water. The chimney has a suction capacity of 1100m3/h to create a strong impact during the cooking procedure. By the end, you feel comfortable and not suffocated with the mixed aromas of the food, as the chimney takes in the smoke and oil particles.
- Large, well-marked buttons
- Curved canopy of the chimney looks beautiful
- Strategically placed LED lamps
- Effectively cleans grime and dirt
- Produces more noise
11. Kaff Chimney
The stainless steel body, soft push controls, and built-in front panel are all the impressive features of the Kaff chimney. It is a pyramid and wall-mounted chimney with bright lamps that improve the display. The filter is made of aluminum and has a grey finish, which makes it look elegant. The engine has a power requirement of 220-240V and consumes 60W power.
- Speeds can be set to low, medium, and high
- Makes kitchen smoke-free
- Boosts maximum airflow
- Does not make much noise
- Gives a clean look
- Decent suction power
- Filter needs to be cleaned once every two weeks
- Lights are not LED
How To Choose the Right Chimney For Indian Kitchens?
Here are some factors to consider while buying a chimney for your kitchen.
- Suction capacity: It is the motor’s strength to pull smoke and oil vapors from the stove. While a good suction capacity is required, overcapacity can cause loss of heat and too much noise. For a simple Indian kitchen and a small family, a chimney with 400m3/h of suction capacity should be sufficient. A capacity of 1000m3/h is needed if the cooking requirements are more.
- Material and built: Kitchen chimneys are available in glass, aluminum, stainless steel, and as a combination of any of them. A glass chimney is easy to clean on the surface but needs to be correctly installed and maintained for preserving its sheen. Stainless and aluminum are easy to handle, but the aesthetics are a bit compromised. Apart from the main chimney, the duct and other parts also have various options. Ideally, the chimney’s duct should not be more than 12 feet and made of stainless steel.
- Easy controls: Chimneys are available with push buttons or touch panels. Consider chimneys with tactile buttons that are easy to operate with messy hands, but physical buttons have a danger of seeping grime if not cleaned regularly.
- Noise levels: The noise of the chimney is due to the air circulation of the blower. The higher the capacity, the higher is the noise. Most chimneys are installed with a noise absorption kit that reduces the noise to a large extent. Generally, a noise level of 58dB is considered normal for a chimney.
- Cleaning ease: A glass top chimney with ductless, a carbon filter is easy to clean but requires high maintenance cost, while an aluminum mesh type filter with longer ducts is difficult to clean. Chimneys can be cleaned with a mild detergent such as dishwashing liquid or vinegar for removing all the muck stuck inside the filters. Alternatively, you can get a professional to clean it once in a while.
- Auto clean: Auto-clean chimneys consist of powerful aluminum turbine blowers that collect oil and grease in separate washable bowls. Due to this feature, these chimneys provide a zero or least maintenance benefit. They have less grease stuck in the filter and duct than the normal ones.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can we use an exhaust fan instead of a kitchen chimney?
It is not advisable to use an exhaust fan instead of a kitchen chimney. The kitchen chimney is placed at the height of nearly 40 inches above the hob, nearer than an exhaust fan. Also, the suction blower of the chimney has a capacity of 1000m3/h, which is more than the exhaust fan’s capability. The kitchen chimney comes with special filters and plays a vital role to play in the kitchen.
2. How to clean the kitchen chimney?
A kitchen chimney should ideally be cleaned once in two months, but it may differ depending on the cooking method. As the kitchen chimney absorbs the kitchen vapors, grime, and grease, they lodge in the duct and the filters. Cleaning chimneys involves cleaning the surface, washing the filter, and cleaning ducts. Depending on the type of filter and built material, cleaning methods might vary.
3. Can we install a chimney in an open kitchen?
Yes, we can install a chimney in an open kitchen. A tower-type or ductless chimney is suitable for open kitchens owing to its convenience and lightweight ability.
Whether you have a two-burner or a four-burner hob, a kitchen chimney is an ideal tool to complement the kitchen. The best kitchen chimney makes your work smart and quick. So, go ahead and bring home this appliance to keep your kitchen smoke- and odor-free.