Kitchen utility knives are essential in your kitchen for various cutting purposes. The best kitchen utility knife should cut all types of small to medium-sized items as long as they aren’t too big or hard. The utility knives can easily handle items, including fruits, bread loaves, sandwiches, vegetables, and most food items.
In terms of size, utility knives can be considered medium in size, being smaller than cleavers and chef knives. However, they are usually available in a wide variety of sizes and features. The following post compiles a list of the best kitchen utility knives to choose from, depending on your needs and requirements.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Kitchen Utility Knives
Mercer Culinary’s Genesis utility knife features a sharp blade made of high-carbon forged steel sourced from Soligen, Germany. Its handle is made of santoprene to ensure you get a comfortable grip. The knife is designed to be stain-, corrosion-, and rust-resistant and does not discolor. Moreover, its taper-ground edge offers added stability and durability and improves efficiency when chopping or cutting.
- Hand-polished blade for smooth slicing
- Backed by a one-year warranty
- Suitable for professional and home use
- Ergonomic handle
- May become blunt easily
- Might be slightly heavy
Tuo’s kitchen utility knife comes with a razor-sharp tapered blade made of premium high-carbon stainless steel sourced from Germany. In addition, the blade has been given a high-tech vacuum heat treatment to make it durable, rust-resistant, and stain-resistant and to retain its edge. Its handle, on the other hand, is made of pakkawood and is well-designed and polished to prevent cracks and expansion.
- Ergonomic full-tang handle
- Cryogenically treated steel
- Works well for mincing meat
- Lifetime guarantee included
- Knife may lose luster quickly
- May be heavier than expected
For those who aren’t professional chefs, this set of four classic knives would be a great choice. The blades are crafted from high-carbon stainless steel and have been given a mirrored finish, meaning they are pretty sturdy and can retain the edge without being brittle. The knives neither corrode nor discolor even after years of use. The handles, on the other hand, have an ergonomic design and are made of patented Fibrox-a material that is durable and slip-resistant. Balanced and lightweight, this set is ideal for home kitchen use.
- Suitable for both home and professional use
- Comes with a hardwood block for sharpening
- Available in vibrant colors
- Easy to sharpen
- Knife is dishwasher friendly
- May corrode over time
- May be smaller than expected
Crafted with a one-piece precision-stamped blade, these three kitchen knives ensure you get no less than outstanding performance each time. In the set, you will find a four-inch paring knife, a six-inch utility knife, and an eight-inch chef knife. The ergonomic handles are manufactured with polymer and have been adequately bonded to full tang so that you experience a balanced cutting and chopping output. In addition, the blades offer durability and sharpness and feature sharp edges for precise cutting and chopping.
- Available in four styles and three sizes
- Made of ice-hardened Friodur blade
- Edged at 15 degrees per side
- Hand- and machine-washable
- May require constant sharpening
- Handles might be slightly small
This chef utility knife from Dalstrong is an amalgamation of quality and striking looks. The tapered blade is made with high-carbon German steel and has a hand-polished edge at 16 to 18 degrees on each side. Additionally, the knife has an ambidextrous G10 Garolite handle that is ergonomically designed to offer a good grip. Stain-resistant and adequately tempered, this knife is ideal for slicing fruits, vegetables, cheese, portioning meat, and fileting fish. Furthermore, it has been triple-riveted for durability. For a more detailed review of this product, here’s a video.
- Tapered for improved hardness
- Minimal slicing resistance
- Full-tang blade
- Suitable for both left- and right-handers
- Resistant to heat, cold, and moisture
- Knife may be brittle
- May pit quickly upon usage
Irrespective of whether you wish to cut bagels or chop vegetables and fruits, this utility knife is up for every task. The knife’s blade has a full tang and is triple riveted to the handle for stability and durability. A well-balanced creation, the knife has been forged from single-piece German steel.
- Full bolster offers comfort and safety
- Resists dulling and corrosion
- Suitable for mincing vegetables and meat
- Backed by a limited lifetime warranty
- Tip may be prone to bending
- May require frequent sharpening
Oxo’s versatile knife is an ideal choice for those who slice vegetables, tender meats, and loaves of bread daily. Its blade is fine-edged to ensure precise cutting and serrated for both simple and heavy-duty tasks. The rubber handle is soft and nonslip, thus offering a good grip without straining your hands. Make every chopping or slicing task effortless with this kitchen utility knife from Oxo.
- Can be washed by hand after usage
- Cuts fruits without crushing
- Knife is hand finished
- Available in three colors and four sizes
- May be lighter than you expect
- May not suit beginners
Here’s another complete set of knives that you can choose for your everyday use. The set from Sendaist comprises three kitchen knives, each of different sizes. You will find a six-inch chef knife, a five-inch utility knife, and a three-inch fruit knife. The blades are made of quality zirconia oxide powder, making them ten times sharper than regular blades. Further, the anti-skid handle of these knives is made of BPA-free ABS material, which makes the holding experience more convenient. Besides, the knives are non-magnetic, non-allergenic, stain-resistant, and corrosion-resistant.
- Easy to store after usage
- Does not absorb odor and oils
- Suitable for gifting on any occasion
- Suitable for bamboo cutting boards
- May not be suitable for carving
- May require sharpening before use
The Enso HD prep knife is handcrafted in Seki, Japan, and has an overall length of ten inch. Its blade is constructed with a 37-layer Damascus stainless steel with VG-10 steel cutting core and has also been given a hammered finish. The handle of the knife is made with black canvas micarta and features an end cap, a bolster, and stainless-steel rivets. Besides, its edges feature a double bevel at 12-14° angle.
- Has a 12-degree cutting angle
- Suitable for right- and left-handed use
- Enclosed full tang handle
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
- May require professional sharpening devices
- Handle might be slightly small
With this utility knife from Shun, you can enjoy the versatility of a chef knife and the precision of a paring knife. Whether it is dicing, cutting, peeling, slicing, or trimming, this knife handles almost everything. It features a six-inch-long blade made with a Japanese 420J stainless steel upper. The handle has a PP/TPE polymer texture, offering a firm grip. Overall, its modern and smooth design makes it an elegant choice.
- Made of high-quality VG10 steel
- Suitable for multitasking
- Suitable for cutting thin-skinned vegetables
- Lightweight and less tiring to use
- Steep and sharp 16-degree cutting edge
- Handle and blade may not stay put for long
- May not be suitable for professional use
11. Best Full-Tang: Paudin Damascus Utility Knife
The Paudin Damascus Utility Knife is designed with an ergonomic G 10 full tang handle that provides great comfort and grip and withstands low and high temperatures. The corrosion-resistant knife has a razor-sharp blade built with 67 layers of stainless steel and is wear- and rust-resistant. You can use this knife for dicing, chopping, and slicing. It has a great weight balance for easy use and comfort, making it ideal for professionals.
- Available in five sizes
- Can be used for gifting
- Ultra-sharp HRC 60+ hardness
- Baked by a lifetime warranty
- Blade may be shorter than expected
How To Choose The Right Kitchen Utility Knives?
Keep the following pointers in mind when buying a kitchen utility knife.
- Tasks: First and foremost, you must consider the tasks for which you wish to buy the knife. If your priority is cutting sandwiches in half, slicing buns, bagels, tender meat, and herbs, and chopping vegetables, you may choose a utility knife.
- Blade construction: Next, consider the blade and the material it is made of. Although you can find a variety of materials out there, it is always recommended to be familiar with the best options. A knife with a blade made of German stainless steel is a good pick.
- Blade length: Next, you must consider an ideal blade length for your requirements. Generally, you can find utility knives in the range of 4-7in.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our product writer, Sakshi John is interested in household and kitchen products. She has curated this list of the best kitchen utility knives after going through numerous customer reviews and product listings online to bring you the best choices. The list includes the features of each product and a detailed buying guide to help you make the right decision based on your requirements.
In this post, we have mentioned the best throwing knives and a buying guide to help you purchase the suitable one that meets your needs. Look for the knife’s shape, size, and weight to complement your throwing practice. You may also go through the customer reviews before purchasing to know its performance. You may practice throwing knives with the help of an expert and know the legality of carrying them and using them. Ensure the durability and quality of metal before making the purchase.
View Profile ›