For all those who can’t stay out of the water, kneeboarding is usually on their bucket list. Starting your journey with the best kneeboard for beginners will allow you to have a safe and exhilarating experience right from the get-go.
Children and novice enthusiasts may not want to begin with a challenging sport such as windsurfing or wakeboarding, which is why kneeboarding is an excellent option as it offers the ideal middle ground.
You can perform different tricks, learn new techniques, and become a master of balancing on your knees—but only with the right equipment. The premium kneeboards we have listed here are especially suited to beginners. They won’t keep you from falling as you practice, and you are less likely to injure yourself with these time-tested kneeboards. So, check out these best-selling and field-tested options and choose one.
9 Best Kneeboards For Kids And Beginners
1. Best Water-Resistant:SereneLife Thunder Wave Water Sport Kneeboard SLKB10
Experience the thunder with this 50 inches long and 20 inches wide kneeboard as you surf through the water. Weighing a little less than 9 pounds, it’s easily portable and can fit snugly into your vehicle. It features an adjustable strap to hold you on to the kneeboard, which is especially important if you are a novice. It also features a built-in hook that is designed to hold the tow rope handle while kneeboarding as well as deep knee slots that make kneeling comfortable. This tried-and-tested portable kneeboard is ideal for children, beginners, and adults as it’s strong and durable and is made of marine-grade, water-resistant, and corrosion-proof materials.
- Universal board design for all age groups
- Stable floating base
- Hassle-free setup
- Made of reinforced polyurethane
- The cushion may put excessive pressure on the shin.
"This kneeboard is user-friendly for a beginner like me and has handy features, like the rope hook, and comfortable padding. It may not be the right choice for advanced tricks, but it still offers a good time on the water and has been a great choice for casual fun."
2. Best Adjustable Strap:O’Brien VooDoo Kneeboard With Hook
Ignite your sense of adventure with this convenient and easy-to-use kneeboard. It is ideal for those kneeboarding for the first time as the tow rope hook, which is molded into the board, makes it a lot easier to get up on the board as you don’t have to hold on to the rope. The molded fins give the board a competitive edge over other options, as they enhance the board’s tracking, thus giving you excellent control. You can make smooth and quick transitions, thanks to the curved underside that allows the board to roll from one edge to the other. The ¾-inch thick EVA padding is plush and kind to your knees and ankles. The 3 inches cushioned and adjustable strap keeps you secure and comfortable and helps to control the kneeboard better.
- Quad molded fins
- Built-in hook
- Variable beveled edge
- Allows easy control
- Measures 51.25 x 22 inches
- The molded fins do not allow you to perform 360° or board backwards.
"After putting this kneeboard through its paces, it's clear that I've made the right choice. It has excellent stability and control, and I've been using it all summer. The integrated hook is a thoughtful feature."
3. Best For Beginners :Leader Accessories Kneeboard With Integrated Hook – Blue
This brightly colored kneeboard is the go-to for beginner riders because of its durability, sturdiness, and stability. It has an incredibly comfortable ¾-inch thick EVA foam padding with deep knee wells that keep your knees happy. A heavy-duty, 3-inch thick padded and adjustable strap gives kneeboarders fantastic control during all maneuvers. Its unique beveled edge sits low in the water and makes fast cuts while staying completely stable. This foam kneeboard features a molded hook for beginners that allows for a hands-free and convenient start as all you need to do is attach the tow rope and you are ready to go. Get ready to start your kneeboarding adventure on a river, lake, or beach with this beginner kneeboard!
- Marine-grade waterproof materials
- Works well for all skill levels
- Measures 50 x 20 inches
- The screws may require frequent tightening.
"I've picked up knee boarding after a hiatus, and using this board felt just like old times. Its lightweight but holds up well, and the hook is a boon for hands-free starts. I wish the padding on the knee were thicker, but it still feels comfortable."
SereneLife Thunder Wave Water Sport Kneeboard SLKB10
O’Brien VooDoo Kneeboard With Hook
Leader Accessories Kneeboard With Integrated Hook - Blue
|50 x 20 x 4.5 inches
|50 x 20 x 4.5 inches
4. Best For Versatility:Xspec Water Sport Kneeboard With Hook – Aqua
This incredibly innovative kneeboard is a combination of features of a wakeboard and a water ski, exponentially enhancing its performance. The comfort, strength, and durability of this kneeboard is enhanced because of its foam interior and high-density polyurethane exterior. It also features cupped, molded fins which allow you to perform tricks and also gives you an easy and smooth ride. It comes equipped with deep knee wells that are padded with EVA foam with reinforced knee strap brackets. The attached hook holds the handle of the tow rope so that your hands are free to help you get on the board while the adjustable safety strap holds you secure on the board. Great for beginners, professionals, and intermediate riders, this adjustable kneeboard can be used in all kinds of water bodies.
- Quad molded fins
- Marine-grade water-resistant construction
- Corrosion-resistant material
- Adjustable 3 inches padded knee strap
- Stable kneeboard with buoyant base
- EPS core with rotomolded shell
- Limited color options
"Despite my beginner-level skills, I have been able to perform glides and different tricks with this board. Its colors are also vibrant, and the adjustable knee strap ensures a snug fit. All in all, it has quickly become my favorite accessory for kneeboarding."
5. Best Maneuverability:Maxflo Water Sport Kneeboard
The slim and sturdy build of this aerodynamically designed kneeboard allows it to skim through the water, and it can be used in rivers, lakes, or the ocean. This lightweight kneeboard, which weighs slightly less than 9 pounds, can be carried anywhere you want and is also convenient to store when not in use. A heavy-duty, padded, adjustable kneeboard strap will ensure that you stay safe, while the contoured and soft EVA pad will keep your knees protected and comfortable. Its rounded edge sits low in the water and enables it to make fast cuts without losing its stability, giving the board a competitive edge over other options. Measuring 50 x 20 inches, this kneeboard is perfect for both children and adults.
- Superior quality
- Fast kneeboard
- Reinforced engineered polyurethane exterior
- Marine-grade water-resistant material
- Corrosion-resistant construction
- No color options
"I've found this kneeboard to be gentle on my knees, and I am impressed by its strap design and tow rope holder. What stood out to me was how quickly I learned to maneuver it despite being a novice."
6. Best For Soft Landings:Ho Joker Kneeboard
Considered to be one of the high-performance kneeboards, it has an interesting and fun look with its comic graphics. Its symmetrical profile features both a square tip and tail which, along with its 2-stage rocker design, does wonders for its performance. The locking edge channels allow your kneeboard to take off and land softly on the water. It also features dual-density knee pads which take the pressure off your knees while kneeboarding. A powerlock single locking knee strap has been added for convenience and comfort. It also offers the option of 2 knee strap locations depending on what works best for you. Combining style and performance, this might be just the kneeboard for you!
- Versatile board
- Can be used by both beginners and serious shredders
- Measures 58 x 25 x 6 inches
- Perfect board for freestyling
- Weighs 15 pounds
- Some may feel it could be more durable.
"I like how this board looks, but the absence of a rope holder made it a little tricky for my kids to learn how to ride it initially. Regardless, it seems durable and has added fun to our summer."
7. Best Comfort:Zup You Got This All-In-One Kneeboard – Blue
If versatility is what you are looking for, this is the board to go for as it can be used as a wakesurf board, wakeboard, boogie board, tube, water ski, and of course, a kneeboard. It features integrated side handles that give you incredible grip because they are covered with soft rubber, and allow you to direct the board in whichever direction you want. Experienced kneeboarders can use this board to surf, carve, and perform acrobatics and surface spins. Highly durable, this board can last for years and gives you a very comfortable ride with its EVA foam padding. This fun kneeboard also features an in-built tow handle that comes with a 60-foot tow rope, and allows you to get on and transition from a kneeling to standing position without holding on.
- Durable material
- Great learning board
- Perfect board for racing
- ABS moulded construction
- Suitable for all skill levels and ages
- Some may find it a bit heavy for kids.
"I use this for both leisurely floats and adventurous wakeboarding. While it isn't as maneuverable as wakeboards, I like that it allows me to stand, kneel, or lay on it according to my preference. The integrated tow hook makes learning easy, and I've enjoyed using it."
8. Best EVA Pad:Hydroslide Revolution Kneeboard
Ride hassle-free with the quality-tested Hydroslide revolution kneeboard. Unlike regular kneeboards, this kneeboard comes with a thin profile to offer a great experience. The spoon shape design offers effortless cruising, and the deep knee wells with an EVA pad make the rider comfortable. The three-inch padded kneeboard strap secures the rider to the board, offering excellent edge control and balance. Furthermore, the Hydrohook design with spring-loaded action makes it a great option for beginners.
- Spoon shape design
- Easy-to-control kneeboard
- Smooth ride
- Deep knee wells
- Padded strap
- Strap may not be durable
"The board's sturdiness and comfortable padding have impressed me, and I love the front clip as it simplifies the process of getting up. It seems to hold up well to regular use, and I highly recommend it for some summer fun in the waves."
9. Best For Learners:O’Brien Black Magic Kneeboard
If you are looking for a kneeboard that’s ideal for your whole family, this is just the product for you. It features a legendary retractable fin system that is operated by a cable and a removable aquatic hook, and that makes it the ideal kneeboard for learners and inexperienced riders. It can be used by both children and adults very easily because of its perfect size. The bottom of the board is smoothly contoured to add to its comfort and stability. It also features a 3 inches thick padded strap to ensure that you stay on the board safely while kneeboarding. Have the time of your life with your family and the added adventure of kneeboarding with this hardboard kneeboard!
- Extra-wide body
- Durable kneeboard
- May not be ideal for experts and professionals
How To Choose The Right Kneeboard For Beginners And Kids?
Consider the following features when selecting the right beginner- and child-friendly kneeboard.
- Material: Kneeboards are generally made of expert-approved and lightweight materials like plastic or fiberglass. Kids and beginners should start with plastic kneeboards as they are softer, have wider edges, are more floatable, and are generally easy to control. On the other hand, fiberglass boards have a foam or polyurethane core, are stiffer, and have edges that are sharper. These sharp edges make it simpler to perform tricks.
- Brand: Consider field-tested kneeboards from trusted brands well known for their in-depth expertise in manufacturing accessories associated with sports and outdoor adventures.
- Type of kneeboard: Your first choice is whether you want to go for a recreational or competitive kneeboard. For beginners, a recreational board would make sense as they have a thick rotational molding and wider edges so that handling them becomes much easier. These boards are also more buoyant and can withstand rough treatment.
Competitive kneeboards or advanced kneeboards, on the other hand, are for more advanced riders as they have sharper edges, are lightweight, compression molded, and may come equipped with fins or rockers for better speed and maneuvering.
Both recreational and competitive kneeboards can come in 2 different styles— slalom or trick kneeboards. Slalom boards come equipped with sharper edges so that they turn well and give a smoother ride while trick boards are more rounded in shape and are perfect for flips and stunts. Your choice of board will depend on what you hope to achieve as a kneeboarder.
- Kneeboard hooks: These are very important for kids and beginners as the tow rope can be attached to it and they can be pulled by a boat while they are still finding their feet on the kneeboard. More advanced kneeboarders don’t need to depend on it, but it’s a must for beginners.
- Safety and comfort: Padding on the knees and an adjustable safety strap are again mandatory for kids and beginners. As all the pressure is on the knees, it’s important that there is comfortable padding there, and an adjustable safety strap will ensure that you stay on the board while you are still learning.
- Fins: Fins are usually found on more expensive models and give the kneeboarder more control as they keep the board moving in a straight line. Retractable fins are the best option as you can extend them when you require extra help with tracking, and retract them up while doing tricks for more flexibility. Fins make it easier to turn and steer the kneeboard and are generally made from the same material as that of the kneeboard.
- Leg straps: Leg straps are of vital importance for kids and beginners as they keep you attached to the board by going over your thighs. As a beginner, if you kneel on a board without a strap, you will soon be facing a wipeout and will probably lose the board. The leg strap needs to be adjustable and, if possible, padded so that it doesn’t cut uncomfortably into your legs.
- Additional features: Some kneeboards have an additional feature called a rocker which is the way the board bends from the tip to the end. The quality of the rocker gives the kneeboarder help in transiting up and off the wake of the boat as well as helping the kneeboard land in the water softly. They determine the speed of the kneeboard. Some kneeboards are also equipped with a double lock strap so that the kneeboarder can hold on more tightly with both hands instead of one, but this feature is not applicable for plastic boards.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I increase the durability of my kneeboard?
As with everything, proper maintenance is the key to increasing your kneeboard’s durability. Kneeboards should always be rinsed off with clean and fresh water and then left to dry in the air. It should be kept away from direct sunlight when not in use and stored in a dry and cool place, as the UV rays of the sun can cause damage to the material of the kneeboard.
2. What kind of kneeboard should a beginner have?
Wider and thicker kneeboards are best for beginner riders as they provide that much-needed extra stability. The edges should also be softer so the ride is more comfortable. This design also gives you greater control over the kneeboard, so your chances of falling off are greatly reduced.
3. Is it easier to wakeboard or kneeboard?
Kneeboarding might be easier than wakeboarding because you have to stand and balance more while wakeboarding.
4. How long should a ski rope be for kneeboarding?
It is recommended to use a 60-70 foot-long ski rope for kneeboarding.
5. How do I surf a kneeboard?
Here are some steps worth following for kneeboarding that you might find useful:
- Take your kneeboard in the water and lie down on top of it.
- Hold the kneeboard from both sides with your hands and lift your lower body to tuck your knees in the space provided for them.
- Properly tighten the straps around your knees.
- After that, tilt your upper body a little bit forward and hold the handle of the ski rope tightly in such a way that it is stretched all the way.
- Now, balance your weight on the kneeboard and signal the boat driver to move the boat.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Sristi Suman is a skilled researcher and product writer and reviewer who has a knack for analyzing sports and outdoor adventure items and delivering detailed information on each best-selling product to help buyers choose the right ones. In this post, she lists the best kneeboards for beginners and kids. The tried-and-tested kneeboards listed here have a stable float base and universal design and are lightweight and easy to assemble. Moreover, they are available in various designs. Sristi has also mentioned the pros and cons of each product to help you make an informed choice.
For those who enjoy being in the water, kneeboarding can be a unique experience, with the best part being that it’s safer and easier than other water sports like kayaking or scuba diving. It works some of your core muscles, has softer wipeouts, and allows you to progress as per your skill level. Getting a high-end kneeboard that is right for you in every way, especially if you’re a child or beginner, is vital to ensure optimal safety and convenience. The ones included in our list of the best kneeboards for beginners are made from premium-quality materials that are durable and safe, which improves your performance and skill in the water. So, take your kneeboard to the next beach party and have fun with family and friends.
Infographic: How To Kneeboard Safely?
Kneeboarding is an exhilarating water sport that combines the excitement of surfing and water skiing. Riders glide skillfully on their knees while executing agile tricks. However, adherence to safety guidelines is crucial to avoid accidents and injuries. Explore the following infographic for responsible kneeboarding tips, ensuring optimum safety and enjoyment.
- Best Skateboards For Kids
- Best Roller Skate Wheels
- Best Ice Skates For Beginners
- Best Women Skateshoes
- Best Roller Skates For Women