If you have issues with breast milk supply, choosing the best lactation supplements prescribed or recommended by your doctor is the way to go. Lactation supplements are nutritious and help improve your breast milk supply.
In this post, we apprise you of the various kinds of supplements that you can explore. The options we have listed here come in different sizes and flavors and solid and liquid forms. However, take them after you consult with your doctor first. Also, note that the products listed here are for information purposes only and should not be considered a replacement for your doctor’s prescription or recommendation.
Are Lactation Supplements Safe?
You can take galactagogue supplements only if your doctor recommends, as some supplements could have ingredients with potential side effects that could be detrimental for yours and the baby’s well-being. Some of the common galactagogues that are available in most lactation supplements are fenugreek, fennel, blessed thistle, Goat’s Rue, milk thistle, and Shatavari.
While fennel and fenugreek are considered safe and beneficial by FDA for nursing mothers, the other ingredients have been known to provide results but with some side effects. So, it is essential to be careful and disregard the supplement in such a scenario.
13 Best Lactation Supplements
Nursing mothers have unique nutritional requirements. Hence, it is always better to go with the product that is approved by your doctor. Also, not all supplements are known to be effective.
1. Best Medicinal-Grade Herb: Traditional Medicinals Organic Mother’s Milk Herbal Supplement
The herbal tea made with fenugreek and fennel has a sweet taste. It contains organic herbs and is free of caffeine. This lactation supplement comes in a pack of six, with 16 tea bags in each. For a more detailed review of this product, here’s a video.
- Contains compostable tea bags
- Clinically tested by a lactation consultant
- Medicinal-grade, USDA-certified organic herbs
- A slight taste of licorice might linger after
- Flavor could be strong for some
- Fenugreek may not be suitable for all
2. Best For Digestion: UpSpring Baby Milkflow Lactation Supplement Drink Mix
The lactation supplement powder comes in a palate-pleasing cherry flavor and can be mixed in hot or cold milk or added to a cup of yogurt or smoothie. It is known to help you stay hydrated and is intended to promote breast milk supply. The box includes 18 sachets, and the supplement is made with natural ingredients, including dairy and soy.
- Tastes sweet and chocolatey
- Aids healthy milk production
- Gluten-free and non-GMO lactation supplements
- Helps in digestion
- Could cause gastric problems for some
- Could be discomforting
3. Best Safe For Mother And Baby: Pure Co Breastfeeding Supplement
The herbal blend is made with USDA-certified organic ingredients, including milk thistle, fennel, and fenugreek to improve breast milk supply. One bottle of this vegan lactation supplement contains 60 capsules that could ideally be enough for a month.
- Made with non-GMO ingredients
- Gluten-free and organic
- Free from fillers and flow ingredients
- Designed to aid healthy milk supply
- Said to be safe for mother and baby
- Could cause gastric problems in some
Best Medicinal-Grade Herb
Best For Digestion
Best Safe For Mother And Baby
|Traditional Medicinals Organic Mother’s Milk Herbal Supplement||UpSpring Baby Milkflow Lactation Supplement Drink Mix||Pure Co Breastfeeding Supplement|
|Dimensions||2.8 x 3.3 x 4.4 inches||3.16 x 4.63 x 6.13 inches||2.13 x 2.13 x 4 inches|
|Weight||1 Pounds||-||2.4 Ounces|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best Easy-To-Consume: Benevolent Nourishment Lactation Support
Available in liquid form, the herbal lactation supplement is made with unique ingredients. It offers a palate-pleasing taste and is recommended by lactation specialists for a boost in breast milk production. You may take one or two drops in a day, or as recommended by the doctor or lactation specialist.
- 100% organic ingredients used
- Provides ideal nutrition to the baby
- Made with moringa leaf, anise, and fenugreek seed
- Easy to consume
- Doesn’t have additives or fillers
- Free from alcohol, GMO, and sugar
- Could be gassy for some
5. Best Convenient Bottle: Mommy Knows Best Goat’s Rue Lactation Supplement
The easy-to-swallow lactation pills are made with natural Goat Rue herb powder, which is considered to be one of the potent herbs to promote breast milk supply in nursing mothers. The capsules are said to be allergy-friendly. Know more about this product in this review video.
- 100% vegetarian
- Contains 120 capsules
- Free from gluten, soy, egg, and nuts
- Comes in a convenient bottle
- High-quality, safe for mothers
- GMP-certified, all-natural lactation supplements
- May cause discomfort in some babies
6. Best Absorbed Easily: Rejuvica Health Natal Nourish Breast Milk Enhancer
The liquid herbal formula is made with all-natural ingredients such as fennel, turmeric, fenugreek seed, anise seed, blessed thistle, and red raspberry. It is a quick-acting lactation supplement that supports lactation and promotes a healthy milk supply.
- Available in three sizes
- Easy-to-use supplement
- Has a pleasant flavor
- Gets absorbed easily
- Natural breast milk production formula
- May not be effective for all
7. Best Sugar-Free:Legendairy Milk Liquid Gold Herbal Breastfeeding Supplement
Legendairy Milk’s Liquid Gold is a lactation supplement formulated to boost women’s breast milk production. These tried-and-tested capsules contain organic ingredients, including shavatri, milk thistle, anise seed, and alfalfa, which are known for their lactogenic properties.
- Free of fennel and artificial additives
- Sugar-and soy-free formulation
- Made of non-GMO ingredients
- Might take time to show results
8. Best For Immunity And Mood: New Chapter Postnatal Vitamin and Lactation Supplement
The expert formula is made for nursing mothers to provide postnatal support and promote healthy breast milk production. It is made with organic ingredients such as oats, kelp, and turmeric to offer overall good health to new mothers.
- Vegetarian, non-GMO, and kosher
- Supports immunity and mood
- Three-in-one formula with vitamins and minerals
- Free of gluten, synthetic fibers, and animal gelatin
- Available in four sizes
- Could cause gastric problems in some
9. Best To Enhances Breast Milk Nutrition: Vitanica LactationBlend Nursing Support
This botanical formula includes vegan ingredients, such as fennel seeds, chaste tree berry, blessed thistle leaf and stem, and hops flower, which help deliver a calming effect to the mother and the baby. Each bottle of this nursing support supplement contains 60 capsules.
- Increases milk supply
- Breast milk nutrition and milk flow enhancer
- Supports digestion
- Made of non-GMO herbs
- Could cause gastric issues
- May not taste great
10. Best All-Natural: Gaia Herbs Lactation Support
Made with natural ingredients, this fenugreek lactation supplement promotes healthy breast milk supply. It is available in two variations, in packs of 60 and 120. The lactation support capsules also improve nutrition in breast milk.
- All-natural and vegan
- Gluten and soy-free
- Available in different packages
- Made with fennel seed and marshmallow root
- Provides a nutritive boost to nursing mothers
- Could have a strong smell
- May not suit all babies
11. Best Safe For New Mothers: The Honest Company Postnatal Lactation Plus
Every serving of this lactation supplement contains a mixture of organic ingredients such as marshmallow, Shatavari, and milk thistle. This organic lactation aid is NSF-certified and reviewed by doctors and lactation consultants and claims to support healthy milk production in nursing mothers.
- Easy-to-swallow capsules
- Non-GMO and gluten-free lactation support
- Free of soy, dairy, eggs, and other allergens
- Safe and healthy for new mothers
- A balanced nutritional formula
- Not tested on animals
- Could be discomforting for some babies
12. Best Taste: Active Formulations Lactation Support
The lactation supplement is made with 100% natural ingredients to improve your breast health and increase the breast milk supply. It contains fenugreek, which is safe and beneficial for breastfeeding mothers.
- Provides a good taste overall
- Ingredients extracted from powerful herbs
- Free from GMO, sugar, alcohol, and fillers
- Available in liquid form
- Easy to consume and absorb
- Could reduce production in some
13. Best For Gut Health:VH Nutrition Fenugreek Capsules For Lactation
The VH Nutrition fenugreek capsules are a lactation supplement for increasing milk production in breastfeeding mothers. They contain fenugreek extract powder, which has natural active compounds to help balance natural hormone production and provide an organic boost to milk production. Additionally, the fenugreek extract powder in this milk production booster helps improve gut health and increase stamina.
- Free of harmful additives
- Easy-to-swallow capsules
- Gluten-, soy-, and dairy-free
- Balances digestion
- May not smell very pleasant
How To Choose The Right Lactation Supplements?
Here are some factors that can help you make an informed choice.
- Ingredients: Look for the ingredients list in the health supplements. If you have a sensitive stomach, avoid fenugreek and take fenugreek-free lactation supplements. Fennels are a fenugreek alternative lactation aid and can also enhance milk production. However, avoid ingredients that trigger allergies in you or are not suitable for your other medical conditions (if any).
- Number of supplements: Some lactating moms prefer to take multiple supplements in a day. But, start with one supplement and move on to two or three supplements like lactation cookies and supplements, teas, or capsules when you don’t see any boost even after taking one supplement.
- Doctor’s recommendation: Never take supplements without a correct ingredient list or approval from certified physicians and healthcare professionals. Consider pediatrician-recommended supplements as they are tested and safe to consume.
How Do Lactation Supplements Work?
Initially, many new moms struggle to produce enough breast milk for the baby’s diet. Lactation supplements help improve the milk supply in lactating mothers. Earlier, people used to rely on herbs to boost the milk supply. But, modern science has brought postnatal vitamins that aid in enhancing milk production. These supplements include calcium, iron, magnesium, and zinc, leading to an abundant milk supply. Every mother is different, and her body responds to different supplements differently. So, always consult a professional before consuming any lactation supplement.
When Should You Start Taking Lactation Supplements?
Many pregnant women commonly observe colostrum near the due date, while some may not notice any milk until three to five days after their baby is born. So, don’t panic if you are not producing enough milk soon after your infant is born. Talk to your doctor for your breast examination. Your doctor can only prescribe supplements when you have regularized breastfeeding and still face low milk production.
Pregnant women need not worry about milk production if they are already breastfeeding another child. But, they should focus on having a healthy diet. You can pair your lactation supplement with a diet and take it thrice daily. However, consider experts’ advice to schedule your intake of lactation supplements.
Side Effects Of Lactation Supplements
Lactation supplements are to be taken only under prescription. Most healthcare professionals say that most lactation supplements are harmless. These supplements can help new moms experience a boost in milk production. However, healthcare professionals advise avoiding herbal supplements as there is limited evidence that supports safe usage (1). Although fenugreek helps boost milk production, it can cause diarrhea in babies when transferred through milk (2). It also lowers blood sugar levels and can cause odor in urine in moms.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Lactation supplements can help you enhance your lactation if you’re having trouble nursing your infant or think the milk you make isn’t enough. With so many milk-boosting supplements in the market, it’s easy to get perplexed while deciding which one to buy after your doctor’s recommendation. Therefore, we have compiled a list of some highly recommended lactation supplements based on a comprehensive study, analysis of user evaluations, reviews, and FDA certifications. All the products listed here are described in detail, including components, flavor, and drawbacks to help you choose the right product.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I take lactation supplements during pregnancy?
You may not need to take lactation supplements during pregnancy unless you are a nursing mom and are pregnant with the next one. In such cases, maintain a nutritious diet. Ensure you take lactation supplements only on the advice of a healthcare professional.
2. Should I take lactation supplements to prevent milk supply issues?
Most new mothers produce sufficient milk for a baby. However, if you cannot produce enough milk due to stress, improper sleep, and other factors, you could consider a lactation supplement after consulting your doctor (3).
3. At what time of the day should I take the lactation supplement?
Take the lactation supplement dosage as recommended by a certified physician or healthcare professional and follow the instructions and dosages given by the manufacturer.
Most of the products given in the list are herbal and allergen-free. You can choose one as per the recommendations of your lactation expert or doctor. It is essential to notice the changes in your body after starting the supplements, and if the outcome is not as desired or adverse. If you or your baby experiences any side effects, then you can discontinue the supplement.
Infographic: How To Improve Breast Milk Production?
Enhancing milk production requires proper breastfeeding techniques and self-care practices to support optimal lactation. With consistent effort and a well-balanced approach, mothers can nurture their milk supply for their little ones. Refer to the infographic below to learn about the simple daily rituals and habits you must incorporate for optimum milk production.
- Marwa R Amer et al. (2016); (Safety of Popular Herbal Supplements in Lactating Women)
- Herbal medicines & breastfeeding
- How can I use fenugreek to increase my breast milk supply?
- Herbs and Foods to Increase Your Breast Milk Supply.
- Best Doctor Kits for Kids
- Best Yoyos For Kids
- Best Baby Grooming
- Best Facial Steamers
- Best Iron Supplements For Pregnant Women