Breast milk is your baby’s first food. But sometimes, you may not be able to produce enough of it in time to meet the baby’s requirements. In such cases, doctors may recommend specific ways to improve the milk supply, which could include the use of lactation supplements as well.
In this post, we give you a list of lactation supplements that could help breastfeeding mothers. Note that these should be taken only after your doctors deems them safe and approves them for your use. The product list here is for information purposes only and should not be considered as a replacement for your doctor’s prescription or recommendation.
Are Lactation Supplements Safe?
You can take lactation supplements only if your doctor recommends, as some supplements could have ingredients with potential side effects that could be detrimental for yours and the baby’s well-being. Some of the common galactagogues that are available in most lactation supplements are fenugreek, fennel, blessed thistle, Goat’s Rue, milk thistle, and Shatavari.
While fennel and fenugreek are considered safe and beneficial by FDA for nursing mothers, the other ingredients have been known to provide results but with some side effects. So, it is essential to be careful and disregard the supplement in such a scenario.
13 Best Lactation Supplements
Nursing mothers have unique nutritional requirements. Hence, it is always better to go with the product that is approved by your doctor. Also, not all supplements are known to be effective.
The herbal tea made with fenugreek and fennel has a sweet taste. It contains organic herbs and is free of caffeine. This lactation supplement comes in a pack of six, with 16 tea bags in each.
- Contains compostable tea bags
- Clinically tested by a lactation consultant
- Medicinal-grade herbs used
- A slight taste of licorice might linger after
Flavor could be strong for some
Fenugreek may not be suitable for all
The chocolate-flavored lactation supplement powder can be mixed in hot or cold milk or added to a cup of yogurt or smoothie. It is known to help you stay hydrated and is intended to promote breast milk supply. The box includes 18 sachets, and the supplement is made with natural ingredients, including dairy and soy.
- Tastes sweet and chocolatey
- Aids healthy milk production
- Non-GMO and gluten-free
- Contains blessed thistle and fenugreek
- Helps in digestion
- Could cause gastric problems for some
- Could be discomforting
The herbal blend is made with organic ingredients such as milk thistle, fennel, and fenugreek to improve breastmilk supply. One bottle of this lactation supplement contains 60 capsules that could ideally be enough for a month.
- Made with non-GMO ingredients
- Vegan, gluten-free, and organic
- Free from fillers and flow ingredients
- Designed to aid healthy milk supply
- Said to be safe for mother and baby
- Could cause gastric problems in some
Available in liquid form, the herbal lactation supplement is made with unique ingredients. It offers a pleasant taste and is recommended by lactation specialists for a boost in breast milk production. You may take one or two drops in a day, or as recommended by the doctor or lactation specialist.
- 100% organic ingredients used
- Provides ideal nutrition to the baby
- Made with moringa leaf, anise, and fenugreek seed
- Easy to consume
- Doesn’t have additives or fillers
- Free from alcohol, GMO, and sugar
- Could be gassy for some
The easy-to-swallow lactation pills are made with natural Goat Rue herb powder, which is considered to be one of the potent herbs to promote breast milk supply in nursing mothers. The capsules are natural and are said to be allergy-friendly.
- 100% vegetarian
- Contains 120 capsules
- Free from gluten, soy, egg, and nuts
- Comes in a convenient bottle
- High-quality, safe for mothers
- All-natural and GMP-certified
- May cause discomfort in some babies
The liquid herbal formula is made with all-natural ingredients such as fennel, turmeric, fenugreek seed, anise seed, blessed thistle, and red raspberry. It is a fast-acting formula that supports lactation and promotes a healthy milk supply.
- Available in three sizes
- Easy-to-use supplement
- Has a pleasant flavor
- Gets absorbed easily
- Natural breast milk production formula
- May not be effective for all
Made with nettle, fenugreek, milk thistle, and marshmallow root, this lactation supplement comes in smooth vanilla and unsweetened vanilla flavors. You can relish its taste and benefits in the form of hot or cold tea.
- Increases milk flow
- Supports healthy milk production
- Free of dairy, soy, gluten, wheat, and GMO
- Available in 20 and 30 cup sizes
- Includes essential vitamins and galactagogue
- Not all may like the taste
The expert formula is made for nursing mothers to provide postnatal support and promote healthy breast milk production. It is made with organic ingredients such as oats, kelp, and turmeric to offer overall good health to new mothers.
- Vegetarian, non-GMO, and kosher
- Supports immunity and mood
- Three-in-one formula with vitamins and minerals
- Free of gluten, synthetic fibers, and animal gelatin
- Available in four sizes
- Could cause gastric problems in some
You can improve the flow and supply of healthy milk with this blend made from plant-based ingredients. The lactation herbal supplement has alfalfa, milk thistle, red raspberry leaf, and fenugreek. It is scientifically proven to have beneficial components for a baby’s overall health.
- Supports the nutritional needs of the mother
- Rich in vitamins and minerals
- Free from gluten, allergens, and GMO
- Absorbs twice better than capsules
- 100% free from allergens
- Flavor may not be good enough
Made with natural ingredients, this fenugreek lactation supplement promotes healthy breast milk supply. It is available in two variations, in packs of 60 and 120. The capsules also improve nutrition in breast milk.
- All-natural and vegan
- Gluten and soy-free
- Available in different packages
- Made with fennel seed and marshmallow root
- Provides a nutritive boost to nursing mothers
- Could have a strong smell
- May not suit all babies
Every serving of this lactation supplement contains a mixture of organic ingredients such as marshmallow, Shatavari, and milk thistle. It is reviewed by doctors and lactation consultants and claims to support healthy milk production in nursing mothers.
- Easy-to-swallow capsules
- Gluten-free and non-GMO
- Free of soy, dairy, eggs, and other allergens
- Safe and healthy for new mothers
- A balanced nutritional formula
- Could be discomforting for some babies
The lactation supplement is made with 100% natural ingredients to improve your breast health and increase the breast milk supply. It contains fenugreek, which is safe and beneficial for breastfeeding mothers.
- Provides a good taste overall
- Ingredients extracted from powerful herbs
- Free from GMO, sugar, alcohol, and fillers
- Available in liquid form
- Easy to consume and absorb
- Could reduce production in some
It is a healthy lactation supplement made with calcium, fenugreek, and milk thistle to support your increased nutritional requirements. The capsules are safe and improve healthy breast milk supply. One bottle contains 60 capsules, and you may take one or two in a day, or as suggested by the lactation consultant.
- Made with 100% pure ingredients
- Vegan and non-GMO
- Free of gluten and toxic substances
- Contains minerals and vitamins
- Safe for mother and baby
- Doesn’t have any flavor
- Could reduce or delay production
Most of the products given in the list are herbal and allergen-free. You can choose one as per the recommendations of your lactation expert or doctor. It is essential to notice the changes in your body after starting the supplements, and if the outcome is not as desired or adverse. If you or your baby experiences any side effects, then you can discontinue the supplement.