While planning a camping trip, keeping one of the best lanterns for a power outage is essential. Likewise, during a sudden power outage, a lantern can come in handy to carry on with your activities while trekking.
The first few on the usual list of essential supplies for a camping expedition are food, clothing, medicines, ropes, mosquito repellants, candles, and torchlights. However, a heavy-duty lantern is of great importance at times, and a torchlight is not a replacement for it. Here, we bring you a well-curated list of sturdy, durable, and portable lanterns for outdoor adventures that you may consider buying.
11 Best Lanterns For Power Outage
1. Best Compact: Vont 2 Pack LED Camping Lantern
Considered to be the best lantern for power outage by many, this camping lantern is bright and long-lasting. Equipped with 30 LEDs, it can light up even the darkest of rooms. It is light and easy to carry and features a patented collapsible design. This heavy-duty and portable LED lantern for camping and trekking allows you to increase or reduce the light as you collapse or expand it. When you collapse it, it can easily fit on your palm.
- Lantern with long battery life—over 90 hours
- Can withstand a 10-foot drop
- Made of military-grade materials
- The springs to hold the batteries in place are weak.
2. Best With Night Vision Mode:Suboos Gen 2 Pro LED Rechargeable Camping Lantern
Illuminate your camping tent with the Suboos rechargeable lantern featuring five lighting angles and three brightness levels. This lantern allows you to set the light to night vision mode and red strobe mode with the press of a single button. It delivers an output of 300 lumens and can cover a radius of 65ft. In addition, it includes two lithium batteries, which also double as a 5200mAh power bank. Moreover, this waterproof lantern for outdoor activities has a foldable S-shaped hook for easy suspension.
- Weather-resistant material
- Includes a diffused light cover
- Has a battery level indicator
- Includes a user manual
- Might be smaller than expected
- May not be easy to find the button
3. Best Lightweight:Lepro LED Camping Lantern
Light up even the darkest spaces with the Lepro LED camping lantern. Its light bulb may be smaller than traditional models but is capable of producing 6000K white daylight, 3000K warm white light, and 5000K cool white light across three different modes. It offers a battery life of five to ten hours depending on the lighting mode, and this lantern can be used as a handheld flashlight or as a hanging lantern for camping.
- Easy accessible switch button
- Compact and lightweight
- Features a durable hook
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- May not be easy to insert the batteries
4. Best Multi-Directional:Goal Zero Lighthouse 600 Lantern
The Goal Zero lanterns offer 360-degree illumination and a unique option to switch on only 180 degrees for conserving battery life and extending the lantern’s run time. Additionally, this lantern is equipped with a 5200mAH lithium rechargeable battery that can be charged via three methods: USB, solar energy, and hand cranking making it an ideal choice for extended power outages. Furthermore, the collapsible lantern for camping doubles as a power bank, allowing you to charge small devices in case of emergencies.
- Produce 600 lumens
- Collapsible leg design
- Built-in handle for portability
- Two brightness levels
- May need to purchase the solar panels separately
- USB cable may not be durable
5. Best Battery Backup: ENERGIZER LED Camping Lanterns
When you are facing a power outage due to hurricanes or storms, or you need to replace your emergency light, you can consider this LED light. On the “High” mode, it can deliver 500 lumens, and when used on the “Low” mode, the batteries can last for 350 hours. You can also switch from High to Low to Night Light with this lantern. This emergency lantern for outdoor survival also comes with an integrated handle.
- 3 light modes
- 360° brightness
- Folds easily
- The batteries are not included.
6. Best Shock-Proof: AYL Starlight 700 Lantern
This durable lantern for rugged environments comes with four LED bulbs with an output of 1300 lumens. The lightweight camping lantern is compact and comes with a hook at the base, making it easy to set up anywhere. It provides 6 full days of battery power, and you can seamlessly switch this lantern with multiple lighting modes to low, high, or flashing strobe mode.
- Lifespan of 100,000 hours
- Durable construction
- For some, the lantern may be too small.
7. Best Water-Resistant: Interrnova 1500 Monster Tri-Strip LED Lantern
Whether it is a bedroom, a backyard, or the thick of a forest, this lantern can illuminate any space with 1500 lumens. One of the brightest lanterns you can get your hands on, it features Tri-Strip LED lighting and comes with different modes like High Mode, Medium-High Mode, along with Medium and Low Modes. It also has a retractable hook on the base, making it easy to hang.
- Non-slip base
- Sturdy handle
- 4 brightness modes
- Runs for 5 hours only.
8. Best Eye Protection: Lichamp 4 Pack COB Camping Lantern
This camping lantern features COB technology known to increase lighting power by at least 10 times. It is equipped with 30 energy-saving LED lights and can illuminate an area as wide as 97 square feet. This lantern with built-in hooks or handles is also compact and easily collapsible.
- COB technology protects your eyes
- The batteries aren’t included.
- The light is not dimmable.
9. Best For Power Outages: Blazin Bolt LED Rechargeable Lantern
This sturdy lantern is perhaps the best emergency light for power outages. It offers 150% illumination to brighten up your room and can survive a 5-foot fall. With a 1000 lumen output, it provides 360° coverage and offers 6 brightness modes. This rechargeable lantern for camping and trekking offers 350 hours of run time. The built-in indicator lamp shows how much power is remaining.
- Drop-proof up to 5 feet
- “D” hook for ease of carrying
- Removable top
- It also features a Red Light mode
- Battery level indicator
- The wall charger is not included.
10. Best Rechargeable: Enbrighten LED Camping Lantern
This high-quality lantern can withstand anything that may come its way; whether it is a power outage, a hurricane, a storm, or a tornado. With 800 lumens and 3 brightness levels, you can use this lantern as an emergency lamp and as a handy light for camping excursions. It runs on 6D batteries and emits a 60-foot omnidirectional light range, making it a great choice for indoor and outdoor lighting.
- Bright LED light
- 200 hours of battery life on minimum brightness
- It is also rechargeable.
- The batteries are not included.
- The batteries are difficult to insert.
11. Best Drop-Resistant: Apluste Portable Lantern Flashlight
This rechargeable lantern is so lightweight and compact; you can even loop it on your backpack. It comes with super-bright T6 lamp beads that emit 800 lumens, illuminating an area of up to 300 meters. The main headlight and sidelights last for about 4 and 6 hours, respectively. This compact lantern for backpacking comes with 2 built-in 18650 lithium-ion batteries that can be charged more than 1000 times.
- 2-way hooks
- The adapter is not included.
How To Choose The Right Lantern For Camping And Trekking?
When purchasing lanterns for camping and trekking, here are a few useful features you should look for.
1. Battery: Rechargeable lanterns are quickly becoming popular for the convenience of charging and not having to use batteries. It is a good idea to keep one at home, provided that it lasts for more than 15 hours. Nobody knows how long a power outage can last; that is why battery-operated lanterns are also an excellent choice. Most of them provide at least 10 hours of light. It is always wise to keep extra batteries at home. For outdoor trips, a battery-operated lantern is a better choice.
2. Brightness: To illuminate a room, you do not need a light with more than 250 lumens. However, if you are going to spend the night outdoors, look for lanterns with adjustable brightness or lanterns with an output of more than 800 lumens and 360° light coverage.
3. Adjustable light settings: Sometimes we don’t need the brightest lights, and keeping the lantern turned on to extremely high settings can quickly drain the batteries. Look for a lantern with adjustable and dimmable light settings.
4. Materials: The best lanterns are made of military-grade plastic. They are not only sturdy and reliable, but they can even survive a fall and are impact-resistant.
5. Water-resistant: Actively look for a water-resistant lantern. Spending time outdoors may mean that it could suddenly rain and wet all your belongings too. When faced with tornados and hurricanes, it is even more critical that your lantern is water-resistant.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah, a highly skilled and professional content writer, writes extensively on household goods and items. He has done extensive research to bring you this curated list of the best lanterns for camping and trekking. The information given here is comprehensive to help you choose the right product as per your needs. Moreover, his tips on choosing the right lantern can come in handy for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many lumens should a good lantern have?
A good lantern can have an average lumen range of 200 to 500, and bright ones can go up to 3,000 lumens. For domestic purposes, a lantern with a lower range may suffice. However, for camping, you may require lanterns of higher lumen ranges.
2. How long does a lantern last?
A battery-powered camping lantern with LED lights can last for 30 to 40 hours on one charge, while rechargeable lanterns can last for approximately 200 hours based on the frequency of use.
3. Should I charge a rechargeable lantern?
Yes, you should charge the batteries of lanterns frequently. Ensure you use appropriate chargers and outlets.
4. Is there a light that doesn’t need electricity?
Solar-powered lanterns for outdoor use and oil lamps give light without electricity. LED and chargeable lights, on the other hand, do not need a constant flow of electricity but require electricity to charge.
Sudden power outages or lack of sufficient light while camping can be quite inconvenient. However, a handy lantern can come to your rescue. With multiple options available, you need to consider factors like battery life, durability, and adjustable brightness to find one that suits your needs. Moreover, the lantern should be portable and water-resistant to support you during your adventures, like camping or trekking. We hope our list of the best lanterns for power outages can help you understand your requirements and the various product features.
Infographic: What Are The Different Types Of Camping Lanterns?
Lanterns can rescue you during a power cut or walking through a dark camping site. However, the different power-based mechanisms used in the camping lantern affect the kind and intensity of light they emit. So, check out the following infographic to learn about the features of different camping lanterns to make an informed choice when purchasing.