What is the capital of Ethiopia? Why is the sky blue? Do animals use a language to communicate?
If your child is always asking you questions like these and more to which you have no answers, you’d probably turn to google as most parents do. But if you teach your child to use the internet, albeit safely and in a controlled manner, you wouldn’t have to worry about knowing everything. You can work with them to learn about different topics if you get them a laptop.
Laptops can be highly useful, but you must choose the right one for your child. In this MomJunction post, we guide you about buying the right laptop for your child and also list nine of the best laptops that you could consider for your child.
Safety Tips For Kids When Using Laptops
Here is how you can help the child use the device safely.
- Explain features: Parents must sit down with the child and run an overview of all the features. It will prevent the child from accidentally deleting important system files or downloading something unnecessary or inappropriate.
- Limit time: The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends limiting screen time for children to one hour a day (1). The child must also avoid screen time an hour before bedtime (2). These practices can help prevent strain to the eyes and interference with sleep.
- Monitor laptop usage: Take advantage of the parental controls that most operating systems offer. They allow you to check which apps your child uses and for how long. If your child intends to access the internet, then install an antivirus that lets you regulate and monitor the visited websites.
In the next section, we share a list of the best laptops that you could consider getting for your children.
Nine Best Laptops For Kids
1. Tanoshi 2-in-1 Computer for Kids
This could be a good choice if you are looking for something basic and ultra-portable for your child.
- The display can be detached from the main keyboard and can be used as a tablet.
- It has a touchscreen for easy operation.
- The laptop works on Android OS, which allows access to a wide variety of apps.
- Has parental controls that let you set screen time.
- There are pre-loaded educational applications, including one for coding, on the laptop.
- There are two USB ports on the laptop.
2. Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop
This one comes with accessories that make it’s usage convenient.
- The laptop can be purchased with a backpack and a connectable mouse.
- It comes with two USB 2.0 ports and one USB 3.1 port for easy connectivity with other computer peripherals.
- The keyboard is backlit, which makes all keys easily visible even in the dark.
- It comes pre-installed with the Windows 10 operating system and several other apps. You can download new apps as well.
- The screen is a 15.6-inch IPS display that provides good-quality contrast. The good quality of the screen could make using various applications interesting.
3. Lenovo Flex 11 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop
The laptop is convenient for small hands, thanks to its compact shape and design.
- It has a high-definition screen with touch control.
- The display flips 360 degrees, which helps move the keyboard out of the way and use the laptop as a tablet.
- It only weighs 2.75 pounds (1.24 kilograms) that makes it easy for the child to carry.
- The screen comes with an anti-glare coating, which helps reduce strain on the child’s eyes.
- It comes pre-installed with Windows 10S that limits access to apps from the Windows store. It could help in safe usage since the apps from other sources on the internet cannot be installed.
4. Fusion5 T90B+ Pro Laptop
If you want a bigger memory and more features for a laptop to be used by the older kids, this could be a good option.
- You can pick the laptop in either 32 GB or 64 GB memory options.
- The laptop comes with an in-built micro SD card reader that can support cards up to 256 GB memory, which significantly increases the memory capacity of the laptop.
- The screen is 14.1in and comes with a full HD display resolution of 1920×1080 pixels.
- It only weighs 2.75 pounds (1.24 kilograms).
- The manufacturer provides 12 months of warranty and support.
5. HP Stream 11-Inch Laptop
This laptop from HP comes pre-loaded with software subscriptions that enhance the value of the device.
- You get a free Office 365 subscription for one year. It allows your child to access the entire MS Office suite apps like Word and Excel that make very good learning tools.
- You also get one terabyte of OneDrive cloud storage, free of cost for one year.
- It comes pre-loaded with the Windows 10S OS that only allows trusted apps from the Windows Store to be installed into the device.
- The laptop can provide a substantial 12.5 hours of battery life on a single charge.
- The 11.6-Inch screen renders a compact shape to the laptop and makes it quite portable.
- The LCD panel has an anti-glare coating on it for stress-free viewing.
6. Acer Aspire 1
The long battery life and intuitive navigation features make it a user-friendly laptop that you can consider for your kids.
- It comes with a 14-inch screen that has a full high definition resolution of 1920×1080.
- The device comes with an in-built blue light filter. It helps reduce the intensity of the blue spectrum light emitted from the screen, thus reducing the strain on the user’s eyes.
- The display has a 180-degree hinge that lets the screen stay flat for easy viewing.
- The compact shape of the laptop’s body lets it fit easily inside a backpack.
7. Lenovo Ideapad 320
If you need more internal storage for saving study files or other data that your child needs to access, then this laptop will suit their requirements.
- The laptop comes with a one terabyte hard disk drive that provides a lot of space for storing a variety of files.
- The screen is a wide, 15.6-inch, LED-backlit display that comes with an anti-glare coating at the front to prevent eye strain.
- It comes with Bluetooth for easy connectivity with other devices.
- The 64-bit operating system can run a wide range of software and programs.
- The built-in CD-drive enhances the utility of the device.
8. Acer Aspire E Laptop
The long battery life makes it an ideal laptop for your child to carry around while traveling.
- The laptop battery is efficient and lasts 13.5 hours on a single charge.
- It comes with USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 ports for better connectivity with the external peripherals.
- The 15.6-inch screen is a widescreen display and has a full HD resolution of 1920×1080.
- You can bundle the laptop with Microsoft Office 365 Home, Windows 10 Pro, or a 250 GB solid-state drive (SSD).
9. Lenovo 130S-11IGM
It is an ideal laptop for use when all your child needs is a device for basic computing work.
- The 11.6-inch screen comes with an LED backlight that can help conserve some battery life.
- It comes pre-installed with Windows 10S that only allows for the installation of trustworthy apps from the Windows store, thus making the system quite secure.
- The laptop comes bundled with a one-year subscription of Office 365 Personal for free.
- It only weighs 2.54 pounds (1.15 kilograms) and is only 0.7 inches (1.7 centimeters) thin, making it a lightweight and compact laptop.
How To Choose A Laptop For A Child?
Laptops are highly useful gadgets that can open up the world of software and coding, aid the child’s learning of languages, math, and technology, and give them access to information present on the world wide web. The key to all that is picking a laptop that meets your child’s requirements.
Here is a checklist you can use to pick the best laptop for your child.
- Hardware specifications: If the laptop is just for browsing the internet, then a beginner’s laptop should do. But if your child wants specific applications or software, then you will need to look for a laptop that comes pre-installed with them or has the necessary hardware with a capacity to accommodate the software.
- Available software: The operating system is one of the most important things to check for when purchasing a laptop. See if the software the laptop comes with is user-friendly and compatible with the programs that your child wants to work on.
- Peripheral support: If your child needs laptops for niche use, then you will have to check if the laptop has sufficient support for the equipment. For instance, if your child wants to hook a digital microscope to the laptop, then you will have to pick a laptop that can support the equipment.
Laptops can introduce your children to new and exciting areas of science and technology via the information on the internet. Early laptop usage could also give the child a headstart in terms of understanding computers. Access to information not only adds to the child’s knowledge but also makes it easier for them to keep up with their academics in the future.
Have you chosen a laptop for your little one? Do tell us about it in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.
- Best Educational Toys For Kids
- Educational Toys for Toddlers
- Educational Movies For Kids
- Books For 4 Year Olds