Online learning has become the standard in the 21st-century classroom. Hence, finding the best laptop for kids is essential for children to attend online classes comfortably and prepare projects and presentations. Other than e-learning, children also depend on laptops for gaming and entertainment.
A portable laptop enables your youngster to learn more about each subject in an engaging way with the help of the internet. A laptop for children is a wise investment because it allows your youngster to prepare for the new digital environment.
Many laptops are available on the market, but deciding which one best fits your requirements might be tough. To help you out, here is a list of some of the best laptops for children.
11 Best Laptops For Kids
1. Best overall: RCA 11 Delta Pro Tablet
RCA Store’s Delta Pro tablet comes with an 11.6in screen for an easier view of multimedia. The Quad-core processor is powerful enough to run different kinds of operations quickly, and its 2GB RAM is best suited for primary and secondary school children’s usage. The tablet has a 32GB storage space, which is adequate for off-cloud storage for nominal needs. Besides essential features like WiFi, Bluetooth, and touchscreen display, it also has rear and front camera for video calling.
- Battery runs for almost six hours without any trouble
- Can be used as both tablet and laptop with its detachable keyboard
- Runs at a good speed of 1.3GHz
- Comes with Android OS 9.0 and preinstalled apps, including Google play
- Connects itself with Bluetooth-enabled devices
- Comes in blue, purple, charcoal, and pink colors
- Screen resolution could have been better
2. Best 2-in-1 laptop : Tanoshi 2-in-1 Computer for Kids
Tanoshi offers a mini-laptop suitable and comfortable for kids between the ages of ten and 12. The laptop comes with a mini HD screen of 10.1in, which supports a child’s superior vision and observation. The built-in parental control features allow adults to block inappropriate apps and prevent children from downloading unwanted apps.
Parents can also control the child’s screen time. The system comes with 2GB RAM and 32GB internal storage, audio jacks, USB ports, speakers, Bluetooth, and WiFi. Check out this product review video and pick the best-suited one for your needs.
- Google docs and sheets are pre-loaded
- Accessibility to Google store for a varied range of applications
- Pre-installed coding apps for kids
- Keyboard is detachable
- Apps can be automatically set-off during bedtime
- Can be used as laptop or tablet
- Smart, attractive touch screen
- Video conferencing may not be optimized
3. Best portable laptop : HP Stream 11.6-inch HD Laptop
The HP HD laptop runs on an efficient Intel Celeron N4000 processor, enough for your child to carry out regular schoolwork smoothly. The child-friendly Windows 10 laptop is powered by 4GB RAM and 32GB multimedia memory card. HP offers Microsoft Office 365 Personal and 1TB OneDrive storage space for one year, which is enough to store several files. The highly portable and well-designed laptop boasts of good HD display with USB 3.1 Gen 1 and headphone/microphone slot. The laptop can run up to 12 hours. Watch this video to get a detailed review of the product.
- 11.6in comfortable diagonal display
- Can be easily connected via WiFi and Bluetooth
- Supports digital media card reader
- Built-in webcam
- Image pad with gesture capabilities
- Laptop is graded to be environmentally conscious
- Light in weight and compact
- Keyboard may not be backlit
- Touchscreen may not be available
4. Best lightweight laptop: Hbestore Portable Windows 10 10.1inch Education Laptop
This entry-level laptop is ideal for children for their school work, topic research, video meetings and web browsing. The sleek device weighs 0.95kg, which makes it easy to carry between home and school. With 0.7in thickness, the screen is smart and user friendly.
The laptop runs on Intel Atom X5-Z8350, 2GB RAM, 32GB internal memory, and Windows 10 basic operating system. Hbestore education laptop offers a 1.3MP front camera, two USB 2.0 ports, one micro HDMI port and an earphone port.
- Built-in WiFi
- Good screen resolution
- Contains Intel HD graphic card
- Two powerful speakers
- Comes with a mouse
- May be difficult to set up
5. Best Windows 10 system notebook : Haqqin 14-inch Windows 10 Notebook PC
Powered by 6GB powerful RAM, the 14in HD screen laptop is best suited for secondary and higher secondary students. The laptop comes with 128GB SSD, which is enough to store a considerable amount of data. The Windows 10 OS system notebook is ultra-thin and lightweight for easy portability.
An exclusive numeric touchpad allows your child to enter the numbers quite easily, while WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity let the access the internet anywhere. A long battery life, expandable memory, and compatibility with entertainment games are additional features.
- Slider to block the camera for privacy
- 1000mAH powerful battery
- Faster connection speed
- Can be easily connected to home devices like Bluetooth speaker, wireless mouse, and keyboards
- Offers impressive, convenient viewing experience
- Supports multitasking due to high RAM
- Loading of web pages is fast
- Keyboard is not backlit
6. Best lightweight And easy-to-carry laptop : Tocosy Laptop 10.1Inch Quad Core Computer
While most laptops come in classic black or silver color, Tocosy laptop’s pink hue can be especially attractive to girls. The ultra-thin laptop with a 10.1in quad-core and Windows 10 operating system is light and easy to carry. The product specifications include 2GB RAM with 32GB storage capacity. The laptop runs HD graphics with ease. The system supports a diverse range of slots. From USB 3.0, HDMI, TF card slot, headphone jack, and USB 2.0 to connecting to WiFi, the laptop supports it all. The laptop has a stand-by time of 6 hours so that students can run the system for a longer time with need for recharging.
- Suitable for both web browsing and video calling
- Ideal for study trips
- Can be used to watch movies and play games
- Gets charged fast
- Provides stable WiFi connections
- Has touch screen feature
- Pink color may not appeal to boy
- Sound quality could have been better
- Keyboard may not come off
- May not be used as a tablet
7. Best anti-glare laptop : HP 14 14″ HD SVA Anti-Glare Micro-Edge WLED-backlit Laptop
The HP’s WLED-backlit laptop offers anti-glare features, which can be easy on your eyes. The processor runs on 2.3 to 3.2GHz to offer good operation speed. The laptop runs on Windows 10 OS and has 4GB RAM that supports multiprocessing of programs. The system is compatible with WiFi and hotspots for easy connectivity. Additional features include AMD Radeon Graphics, micro-edge display, protection against phishing, and malware.
- 14.0in diagonal comfortable screen display
- Compatibility with wireless connectivity
- Webcam has integrated digital microphone
- Comes in black color, looks elegant
- Memory of the device can be upgraded
- Supports video conferencing
- Google classroom may have to downloaded
- May not be suitable to run Microsoft Teams
- Camera quality may not be good
8. Best touchscreen laptop : RCA 7 Voyager 1.3GHz 4Core Laptop
The two-in-one model can work as both a tablet and a laptop. It has a slide adjustment to take on and off the screen. According to the comfort of the student, the device can be connected and used. The 7inch tablet with 16GB quad-core processor is equipped with a touch screen function, 1024×600 resolution, built-in WiFi, and Bluetooth. The front camera is 1MP. The other jacks include a micro SD card slot, microphone, and headphone. The lovely pink color can be appealing to girl students and children.
- Works on Android 5.0 and hence tablet is accessible to Google Play Store for various apps
- 16GB flash storage is enough for learning needs
- Keyboard is flexible
- Glass screen avoids scratches
- Easy to use even for an eight-year-old kid
- May not be durable
- Battery life can be improved
9. Best laptop with large battery power : Jumper EZbook X3 Windows 10 Laptop
Jumper’s laptop is based on Windows 10 OS that promises powerful performance, smooth use, and a multitasking experience. The device comes with a 13.3in screen and offers HD camera resolution for easy and comfortable viewing. The 6GB RAM is meant for great multitasking abilities and speed. The 64GB eMMC enables storing multiple files, photos, short videos, and PDFs. The device supports WiFi, Bluetooth, and other port connections. With a 38000mWh power capacity, this laptop provides a seven-hour battery life for your convenience.
- 8mm slim bezel design
- Supports graphics and games
- Contains micro-SD card slot and mini HDMI port
- Super-fast web browsing
- Stylish looks
- Easy user experience
- Improved performance
- May not have touch screen
10. Best laptop For personal and business : Samsung Electronics XE500C13 Chromebook
Samsung’s XE500C13 Chromebook offers an impressive long battery life of over 11 hours and best suited for children and travelers as frequent charging will not be required. With an 11.6in anti-reflective display, Samsung Chromebook will be easy on your eyes. The lightweight and portable Chromebook is powered by Intel Celeron N3060 processor. Samsung offers 2GB RAM and 16GB internal storage with built-in security features to protect the laptop from viruses and malware. Check this video to learn more about the product.
- Runs on Chrome OS, which is known for quick and smooth operations
- Spill-resistant, water-resistant keyboard prevents damage during accidental falls
- The screen size is slim for added comfort
- Compatibility to run Google, Gmail, maps, documents, and images
- Free updates from Chrome gets automatically updated
- User friendly and easy to set up
- Reliable and lasts longer
- May not be able to suitable to perform heavier tasks such as gaming, playing around with high-resolution graphics and video editing
- May not support kindle apps
Lenovo two-in-one laptop can serve the dual purpose of a tablet and a laptop. The full high definition 1920×1080 touch screen makes it easy for children to work. The system leverages AMD Ryzen 5 3500U processor. The laptop is powered by 12GB DDR4 RAM, fast, quick, and smooth in reading and writing operations. The operating system is Windows 10, which is known for its enhanced productivity features.
- Includes HDMI, USB-C, and USB 3.1 inputs; this enhances connectivity
- Provides exclusive protection against virus, malware, and ransomware
- Comes with an active black pen that allows taking down notes, making underlines anywhere on laptop’s screen
- Long battery life of nearly 10 hours
- Quickly charges, 80% charging assured in one hour
- Keyboard is backlit, making it easy, convenient to type even when dark
- Screen brightness may not be sufficient for outdoor purposes
How To Choose The Right Laptops For Kids?
- Built: As kids tend to use the machine for their learning and development, the laptop must have a good build. An aluminum frame chassis on a sturdy plastic shell can be useful.
- Battery life: Battery life is the most important aspect you should consider before buying a child’s laptop. A good laptop with a battery life of around 6-8 hours should be sufficient for daily learning needs.
- Security features: Children are often adventurous and exploratory, which can invite virtual trouble in the form of inappropriate content or malware or viruses. You should choose a laptop that has several in-built parental control features. Features such as firewall, location, and ad-blockers can keep your children in a safe zone. You should choose laptops that offer features such as ‘Family Options’ for Windows or exclusive parental control apps for Android which block potentially dangerous sites.
- Power: Laptops for children are meant for their learning and development, and not for high end gaming or animation purposes. Therefore, a low end processor with 2GB of RAM should be sufficient. However, you should ensure that the prescribed apps run in the operating environment chosen for the laptop. Generally, an Android or a Windows notebook with a good WiFi should be enough.
- Simple to use: Laptops should excite your children’s curiosity and not bore them with complex operating procedures. A laptop meant for children should be easy to use. Features such as a detachable keyboard, bigger, and directed radio buttons increase the ease of use.
- HD display: Although not mandatory, an HD display helps in kids learning by presenting visual cues, which are more pleasing and understandable compared to SD display. You should avoid spending too much on a 4K or 2K HD display. However, you should choose an HD display in your price range.
- Fast USB connections: Sometimes, the kids’ learning modules may be uploaded via USB, or you need to load some interesting learning stuff for them. At that time, a faster USB will be sought after.
- DR webcam: High Dynamic Range or HDR webcams can produce better-lighted images in a dark environment. If your kids’ room is darker or if need be to converse in duller weather, an HDR webcam can prove useful. HDR webcam is a feel-good feature that will improve your kids’ overall learning experience.
- Portability: A laptop or tablet for children has to be portable and easy to carry from home to school without hassle. Along with a sturdy built and high battery life, portability should be a top priority when you choose to buy a laptop for your children.
- Virus protection: Laptops or tablets are susceptible to viruses, malware, or phishing attacks when your child unknowingly or accidentally browses suspicious sites. The virus may even creep into your WiFi and affects all connected devices. Hence, the laptop you buy must be duly protected with necessary antivirus and anti-phishing software.
At What Age Should A Child Get A Laptop?
Most children will be ready to start using a laptop around age of two. However, experts believe that children above 10 years of age can start using laptops. Children between ages 3-9 can use tablets (1).
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah loves writing about products that help improve children’s lives, be it electronics, automobiles, books, or toys. His review process involves extensive research into the features, benefits, and consumer reviews of the product. For this article, he highlights the best laptops for kids that will allow them to carry out their online education in a seamless manner. They can also use the laptops for gaming, entertainment, and creative work. These laptops are efficient, high-quality, and have various features to suit your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why should kids have their own computers?
Having a dedicated laptop allows children to complete their school assignments at their own time and pace. Using and operating a computer can also help them develop basic technical skills and give them opportunities to investigate, explore, and learn academic subjects or new topics.
2. How long should my kid be on a laptop?
Despite the advantages of a laptop, it is equally important to limit children’s screen time to avoid potential adverse health effects. Children aged between five and 17 years should limit their laptop use to two hours per day.
3. How long does a laptop last?
Laptops may last for about three to five years when used with proper care. And depending on the quality, maintenance, and usage, a laptop may even last ten years or more.
4. Does a laptop have the option to restrict kids on the Internet?
Yes, using parental controls, you can control or restrict your child’s overall screen time, the type of websites you want your child to browse, track their activities online, and do much more.
5. Is a laptop safe for children?
Overall, a laptop can be safe for children if parents take appropriate measures to ensure their safety online. This can include using parental controls, supervising their activity, and educating them about internet ethics and online security.
Digital learning has become an essential part of 21st-century classrooms, and to better equip your child for this, you need to invest in the right laptop suited for them. When looking for a laptop for children, some of the factors to keep in mind are the battery life, display, security features that prevent malware or viruses, portability, and ease of use. Since your child won’t be using the laptop for gaming or heavy software, investing in one that’s affordable and has decent RAM will suffice.
- Computers Digital Devices and Eye Strain