If you have ever struggled to carry a huge stack of clothes down a flight of stairs, you know how harrowing it can be. But, there is an easy solution to this— the best laundry basket for stairs. The sturdy laundry bins come in various styles and are designed with lightweight and soft materials that make getting up and down flights of stairs an easy-breezy task.
These portable hampers for stairs are convenient and make your wash day feel way less of a strenuous chore. You can also use these bags to store things, such as magazines, toys, linen, shoes, and even use them as a dolly to move heavy things around your house. To get you started and help pick the right option, we have reviewed a list of laundry baskets for stairs in this post. Ensure to check out the different features and choose a tried-and-tested one that suits your needs.
9 Best Laundry Baskets For Stairs In 2024
You never have to worry about lugging a heavy laundry basket up and down stairs any more, with this 38 inches dolly. It makes storing, transporting, and sorting laundry extremely convenient and simple. Its upright design and widely spaced wheels make it incredibly easy to maneuver on stairs smoothly, and without straining your back. The durable polyester drawstring bag of this stair laundry basket is quite spacious for holding your laundry. It features a padded ergonomic handle with a height of 38 inches that makes carrying it on stairs more comfortable. This laundry basket for stairs can be folded down flat, which makes it convenient to store when not in use, making it one of the most space-efficient foldable laundry baskets. Measuring 16.75 x 17.25 x 38.37 inches, it features a compact design, and the hamper cab be removed to use it as a dolly as well.
- Detachable bag
- Weighs 5.1 pounds
- Triple wheels on both sides
- Weight capacity of 110 pounds
- Wheels are made of plastic.
"I love this stair climber basket for its dual handle system. Also, I can easily roll the bag up the stairs or carry it up with the side straps. The wheels could have been smoother to ensure a scratch-free experience on wooden floors. However, its durability and functionality seal the deal."
Crafted with faux burlap, this sturdy and durable laundry bag with 6 swivel wheels is mounted on a stair climber cart that goes up and down stairs with extreme ease. This product can be used as a laundry hamper, laundry cart, laundry sorter, and laundry organizer. Once the basket is removed, it converts into a lightweight tubular steel stair climber dolly with a weight capacity of 110 pounds. It features a soft ergonomic cushion handle which makes carrying it incredibly convenient, reduces strain on joints, and absorbs shocks on bumpy surfaces. It’s perfect for both home use to carry laundry upstairs and downstairs, and for carrying clothes to the Laundromat. It comes with a drawstring and removable and washable liner to conceal the odor from laundry and ace the test of convenience. This durable laundry basket also makes a humorous statement— ‘Laundry today or naked tomorrow.’
- Versatile use
- Easy-grip aluminum ring handle
- Elastic pegs to attach inner liner
- Easy to store
- Weighs 6 pounds
- Replacement bags are not available
"I got this trolley basket to carry soiled laundry up and down the stairs easily. However, a telescopic handle would have made the experience more comfortable. Despite this, I would still recommend this product as it is easy to maintain, thanks to its removable and washable liner."
This practical and convenient laundry basket for stairs combines portability and spaciousness so that it’s perfect for the whole family, and you don’t have to worry about hauling laundry up and down stairs. The plastic laundry basket features wheels that are smooth and glide, and a retractable pull-up handle that can be pulled out to conveniently transport clothes to and fro. It’s designed with a hole pattern that keeps clothes well-ventilated, and the plastic interior is snag-proof and smooth so that your clothes are never damaged. Its handles are integrated with the main body so that you can easily carry it up and down stairs whenever you like. This easy-to-clean plastic basket makes it extremely convenient to store, transport, and sort dirty clothes and towels. It has an overall assembled size of 21.12 x 16.75 x 22.12 inches and a sturdy and durable construction with a reinforced rim to stand the test of time.
- Portable storage solution
- Polished finish
- Sleek rectangular profile
- Large 1.75 bushel capacity
- The wheels may not roll as smoothly.
"The rolling laundry basket has been a practical addition to my home. It has been handy in hauling laundry, carrying groceries, or transporting my sewing equipment. Furthermore, the rolling feature allows me to handle heavy loads without straining my arms and back. I am pretty happy with this purchase!"
Amazon Basics Stair Climber Rolling Laundry Hamper - Grey
Best Detachable Bag
Dbest Products Stair Climber Laundry Trolley Dolly - Brown
Sterilite Laundry Basket For Stairs
|17.25"L x 16.75"W x 38.37"H
|18"L x 11"W x 36"H
|21.13"L x 16.75"W x 22.13"H
Measuring 15 x 8 x 16 inches, this sturdily constructed sorting laundry basket for stairs fits securely on standard width stairs, and reduces clutter as you can store your laundry or other things like toys or other knick-knacks in it. Crafted with tan wicker, it weighs 2.75 pounds and features firm yet extended handles that make it convenient to transport up and down the stairs, whether full or empty. This light but durable stair-step laundry basket is perfect for organizing items lying around the house that need to be taken downstairs or upstairs.
- Tight weave
- Versatile use
- 1-year warranty
- Designed to be placed on stairs
- Knitted fabrics may snag in it
"The basket helps me gather and store small and big laundry items separately. I wish cleaning and maintaining it was easier, but its sturdiness and functionality make it worth the effort. Also, I approve of its porous design because it prevents soiled clothes from accumulating odors."
This freestanding and collapsible laundry basket for stairs is made from thick polyester, and the interior has a waterproof PE coating to keep stored items dry. It can be stored conveniently when not in use as it collapses into a small and compact piece that can be put in a shelf or drawer. When required, it can be simply stretched out to stand upright and used. The opening features an iron wire frame to hold the shape of the laundry basket. Measuring 16 x 12 x 24 inches, it has a capacity of 77 liters, and can be used to store laundry, toys, linen, blankets, or other things. This fabric laundry basket can quickly become expert-approved as it comes fitted with a durable leather handle that makes it easy and convenient to carry up and down the stairs.
- Lightweight and minimalist design
- Can accommodate heavy loads of laundry
- Easy to clean
- Weighs 13.4 ounces
- Some feel the fabric needs support to hold up the hamper.
"This smart hamper bag helps me stash a sizeable amount of laundry. The long handles make it easy to carry. Although it tends to collapse when overstuffed, storing the clothes in a tidy manner keeps the bag upright. Also, I find it to be quite durable, so I recommend it."
This innovative pop-up laundry basket features a horizontal design, making it more convenient to carry up and down stairs. This tried-and-tested mesh laundry basket features a large opening design, which is convenient to put clothes in and take out from the laundry basket. The handles are wide and smooth so that it’s easy to carry and is soft and comfortable on your hands. The bottom of the basket is made of waterproof and dustproof material, so that your clothes are protected. The laundry basket for stairs comes with an additional bag to place the laundry basket into before placing it in the washing machine for cleaning. It’s crafted with breathable material—fine mesh polyester—for increased air circulation so humidity and odor can be avoided, making it one of the most efficient ventilated laundry baskets. It measures 14.5 x 9.4 x 0.8 inches and weighs 8.1 ounces.
- Versatile to use
- Easily portable
- Reliable craftsmanship
- High quality fabrics
- The metal frame may puncture the sleeve it’s fitted in.
"What I like the most about this hamper is its separate compartments to organize and carry the detergent and other laundry essentials. Moreover, it folds flat, ensuring space-efficient storage when not in use. Lastly, its transparent design adds to its functionality. Highly recommended!"
Crafted with strong 600D Oxford fabric, this space-saving laundry basket sports faux leather handles, which makes it easy to carry up and down stairs and is soft and comfortable on the hands. The inside is designed with smooth polyester so that your clothes don’t snag. Extremely versatile, it can be used for laundry and to declutter your home by storing things like toys, linen, or shoes in it. Incredibly lightweight, this basket is collapsible, and can be stored away conveniently when not in use. Measuring 14 x 2.5 x 14.5 inches, it features removable board inserts and has the space to fit 8 pounds of laundry or other items. This stylish laundry basket for stairs fits most carpeted or wooden steps perfectly and organizes your space efficiently.
- Fabric doesn’t fray
- Weighs just 1 pound
- Bonus tag to label each basket
- Soft bottom to prevent scratching the floor
- Sleek and elegant white color
- Doubles as a decoration
- Some feel it could be more spacious.
"This space-saving stair basket has helped organize my laundry and optimize my stair space. It is sturdy enough for daily use, and I love the faux leather handles. Also, when not in use, it can be folded and stashed. Overall, a decent product."
The tightly woven rope weave of this laundry basket for stairs is stylish, strong and smooth, and is perfect for holding your laundry, magazines, toys, books, and toys, making it one of the most versatile woven laundry baskets. This seagrass wicker laundry basket for stairs fits perfectly on 2 steps with picnic basket style handles that make it easy to carry. The top of this multilevel laundry basket is open and wide that makes it easy to fill and also offers convenient access. The wicker is woven around a lightweight wire frame to ace the test of stability and measures 16 x 10 x 16 inches.
- Hand crafted by artisans
- Natural color
- Versatile use
- Saves floor space
- Weighs just 2.8 pounds
- Rigid loops on the side may damage the wall
"I found this stair wicker basket a visual treat and a clutter-clearer. It blends well with my home decor. Though the handles could have been more comfortable, it is a worthy investment for its utility. It makes organizing and carrying the laundry more convenient."
Crafted with 600D Oxford fabric with a waterproof coating, you never have to worry about your laundry or other things stored in it getting wet. This portable laundry basket on wheels for stairs features PU rubber wheels which are durable, long-lasting, and noiseless. The 3 wheels design on either side is especially designed to make it easier to carry things up and down the stairs. Extremely practical and functional, it’s convenient to fold in 1-step so that it can be easily stored or transported. Measuring 37×16 x14 inches, the main bag of this rolling laundry basket measures 21×12.5×7.5 inches. It also features two-side pockets, and a front pocket for storing things like umbrellas, magazines, or water bottles.
- Versatile use
- Lightweight body
- Stainless steel frame
- Velcro fasteners
- Smooth wheel bearings
- Weight capacity of 30 kg
- The housing holding the wheels in place could be stronger.
How To Choose The Right Laundry Basket For Stairs
Keep these pointers in mind when choosing a laundry basket for stairs to make laundry day less of a chore.
- Material: The material used for laundry baskets should not just be high quality, they also need to be lightweight. 300D Oxford material is washable, water-resistant, and stain-resistant which makes maintenance simple. You should ideally go for a model that has a solid bottom to maintain its shape so that it doesn’t fall over. Seagrass is incredibly strong, long-lasting, and sturdy, but ensures it’s not a model used for decoration, and is at least 14 inches high. Wicker baskets are heavier in weight, but are extremely solid, sturdy, and durable too.Paper rope baskets are incredibly lightweight, solid, durable, practical, and easy to use, and are made from paper rope wound around an iron wire frame. Bacbac, also called cabana matting, is ideal for a rustic and traditional look, and is handwoven from banana tree bark. A plastic basket, though not an environmentally friendly option, doesn’t warp and is mold and mildew-resistant while also being lightweight and easily portable.
- Size: The average size of a laundry basket for stairs is approximately 17 x 17 x 11 inches. Most laundry baskets have a capacity between 1.5 bushels to 2.2 bushels, and a 1.6-bushel basket can hold up to two standard loads of laundry. You should choose the size of your basket depending on how often you do laundry.
- Ventilation: Laundry often tends to be damp, either because of sweat or water, so a basket that won’t let your clothes breathe isn’t a good idea. A laundry basket that doesn’t have ventilation will lead to odor and the clothes may develop mold. Some baskets or hampers have cardboard covered with a coated material, and if the cardboard gets wet, your basket is ruined. A well ventilated basket is especially required for damp and smelly workout clothes.
- Handles: Handles make it easier to carry the basket from one place to another if required, and should be comfortable and sturdy. Baskets with trim pieces on their handles may look aesthetically pleasing, but create a weak joint. Handles with ridges on the underside may dig into your fingers. A multiple set of handles both lengthwise or widthwise are comfortable to hold the basket either way.
- Shape: A rectangular basket is more efficient for holding folded clothes. Baskets that are hip-hugging and shaped look nice but aren’t very practical as they hold less and aren’t really easier to carry. They also do not allow bigger pieces of clothing to lie flat after being folded. Square baskets hold as much clothes as rectangular ones as they have more depth, but are not convenient when trying to overload the basket. Round baskets are not practical for folded clothes as they do not hold them well.
- Finish: Your laundry basket should have a smooth and flat finish so that your clothes do not snag. Wicker baskets in particular are prone to snagging fabric.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are collapsible laundry baskets good?
Collapsible laundry baskets are good for smaller spaces, as they are easy to fold and store when empty.
2. How do I keep my laundry basket from molding?
The key to preventing mold in your laundry basket is to ensure proper ventilation and avoid moisture. Avoid dumping wet or damp clothes directly into the laundry basket before hang-drying them; if the laundry basket is made of cloth, try to clean the basket along with your laundry as frequently as possible and keep it dry for next use.
3. Can I keep the laundry basket in the bathroom?
Yes, if you have a spacious bathroom, placing the laundry basket in the bathroom is a good idea. A bathroom laundry basket is a convenient way to dump the clothes in a laundry hamper as soon as you take them off before going for a bath. However, you should try to do the laundry as frequently as possible to avoid the build-up of musty or sweaty odor in the bathroom caused by the clothes.
4. Is it okay to leave dirty clothes for a week in the laundry basket?
You may prefer to leave dirty clothes for a week if you have a busy week, but this should not be the routine if you prefer a clean laundry room. Leaving dirty clothes unattended may allow the mold to grow and make your laundry room smell awful, especially if the clothes are wet or damp.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah is a household product writer whose analytical research skills enable him to offer informative and unbiased content to his readers. Here, he has compiled a list of the best laundry baskets for stairs that are lightweight, sturdy, and spacious after considering multiple products and reviews. You can use these portable and easy-to-use baskets to stack clothes and other items, such as toys and magazines. Wedetso also gives you details about these baskets with a comprehensive buyer’s guide to help you make the right pick.
If you are tired of maneuvering staircases with a heavy load of laundry balanced on your hip while you clutch on to the stair railing and negotiate kids and pets, this is just the product for you. So you can say goodbye to feeling fatigued and frustrated every time you go up or down stairs with laundry, and give your back a respite. These stair climbing wonder laundry baskets tackle steps effortlessly, and are incredibly versatile. There is a whole range of them available for you today to suit every requirement. We are sure our review of the best laundry baskets for stairs will help you pick one that suits your family’s requirements and lifestyle and make laundry day a breeze.
Infographic: A Quick Guide To Laundry Baskets
Before buying a laundry basket, it is essential to consider different types of laundry baskets to find one that meets your requirements. Here is an infographic for various laundry baskets to help you understand. Check it out.