A healthy lawn, with mowed green grass and flowers, is a feast to the eyes. In contrast, overgrown landscaping with tall grass patches, unkempt hedges, or weeds in the lawn can make even the best houses look bad.
To keep your yard well-maintained, you need a lawnmower with the right kind of blades. Without a good set of sharp blades, lawn mowers can do more harm than good. To prevent that and keep your lawn trimmed and neat, install one of the best lawn mower blades listed here.
We also give you a buying guide to choose the right lawnmower blade that trims your lawn swiftly and effortlessly.
Types of Lawn Mower Blades
Different lawn mower blades have different uses according to their functions, which is essential to make the right choice. There are three types of lawn mower blades:
- Discharging blades: These blades discharge debris into bags or push grass away. They are most suitable for push mowers because they lift the grass to cut it down, and hence,they are also called high-lift blades.
- Mulching blades: Theseall-purpose blades, usually called three-in-one blades, havecurved and serrated edges to cut the grass into finer pieces and then pour it back to the ground. The innermost curve of the blade generates air pressure to blow out the small debris into the soil. Mulch blades also allow proper distribution of air, which is a plus.
- Gator blades: They offer medium lift and provide softer, smoother, and cleaner cuts of the grass. They are most suitable for lower-level grass.
Top Products From Our List
17 Best Lawn Mower Blades
If you are looking for a functional mulching blade, you can choose the Maxpower model with two mulching blades, each with a length of 21 inches and a width of two-and-a-half inches. The blades give you a total cutting area of approximately 42 inches and are compatible with Poulan, Husqvarna, and Craftsman models. The blade is made of high-quality steel with a central star hole, making it durable and easy to install.
- Sharp and efficient blade
- Has high cut-efficacy
- The five-point center hole attaches firmly
- Might require constant resharpening
This 22-inch lawnmower blade, made of anti-rust material, fits all Toro lawnmowers. Its sharp edges can pierce fresh grass and form fine mulch. The ultra-fine long blades are carefully designed to deliver high-quality cutting results, making the lawn look crisp and charming.
- Doesn’t vibrate much during usage
- Slightly tilted for smooth cuts
- Has three center holes for an easy fit
- Blade might get dull sooner
If you are using an MTD lawnmower and are looking for an original replacement lawnmower blade, then this product is perfect for you. This 21-inch blade has superb crafts man ship, and its curved cutting edges to catch even the smallest turf, enabling smooth trimming. Compatible with most MTD models, the mulching blade is durable and easy to install.
- Comes with a 90-day warranty
- The star center hole offers firm attachment to the mower
- Has a rust protective coating
- May not cut well in the beginning due to rust-proof coating
These official Honda standard blades are highly effective and are ideal for mowing lawns in a few strokes. The durable structure of the 20.75-inch blade is perfect for daily mowing. Its robust steel will not lose its sharpness quickly, and it also has anti-rust properties, making it suitable for cutting wet grass. The set of two blades fit HRX model lawnmowers and can produce smooth cuts and fine trims for excellent mulching and bagging.
- The spare blade is a savior
- Easy to install with its circular center hole
- Doesn’t require much sharpening
- Only compatible with Honda mowers
- Might require slight sharpening before use
Ego Power provides 21-inch lawn mower blades specially manufactured to match the Ego lawnmower models. The blade has sharp cutting edges and can cut grass smoothly and quickly. The durable steel construction of the mower blade ensures durability and low maintenance. These blades are pre-sharpened to provide a perfect and clean cut.
- Doesn’t rust easily
- Designed for bagging clippings
- Easy to install and lightweight
- Not a universal model
- The blade might be too thin
Arnold’s mulching blade is a one-stop grass cutting tool. If you need a blade that can mulch, bag, rake, and scalp,then this 21-inch lawnmower blade is an irresistible deal. It is an ideal replacement for dethatching blades and has a width of 22inches. The kit comes with a hardware package, blades, and a dethatching line, making it cost-effective.
- The central hole has universal compatibility
- Suitable for walk-behind mowers
- Easy installation and maintenance
- Versatile design
- Only at the lowest level setting can better thatch performance be achieved
The Oregon cover blade’s unique design ensures that the air is redirected to the front, providing a smooth and fast cut. This 21-inch lawnmower blade provides maximum efficacy due to its angled gator teeth. The 2.5-inch width of the blade offers a larger coverage area, thereby reducing mowing time. With three central holes and serrated edges, this replacement lawnmower blade is not easy to break and is suitable for AYP, Husqvarna, Poulan, and Craftsman models.
- Reduces the need for bagging
- High lift blade helps in the easy discharge of debris
- Tough and durable gator blade
- A low-vibration model
- Might require frequent sharpening
- The blade faces upwards, making it difficult to cut short grass
For those who need a sturdy, lightweight lawn mowing tool with easy installation, the Green works mulching blade can be the right choice. The heat-treated blade is compatible with lawn mowers of the same brand. You can install the blade with three center holes. The sharp and raised edges of this 20-inch replacement lawnmower blade will make it easy to cut.
- Pre-sharpened blade
- The drop at the end helps in cutting tiny grass
- Low-vibration design
- May not be a versatile model
- May require frequent sharpening
The heavy-duty21-inch lawnmower blade of the original brand Poulan provides an excellent mowing experience. It is specially designed as a replacement lawnmower blade and has a minimal design to optimize and improve coverage. The blade’s central hole simplifies the difficulty of installation, ensures a firm grip, and reduces vibration.
- High-quality and durable construction
- Covers maximum area in a short time
- Can also be used to trim short grass
- Might require pre-sharpening
- May have a thin-frame
MTD offers a replacement mulching blade for MTD, Yard Machines, Yard-Man, Huskee, Troy-Bilt, and Bolens tractors. The versatile mulching blade’s end adopts a low-cut design to efficiently cut the smallest grass. For those models that require larger blades, this MTD model provides a length of 31-inches and can be used as a valuable replacement.
- Can also be used for mulching, discharging debris, and for bagging
- Reduces the cutting time due to its length
- Starred center hole for a firm fit
- Easy installation
- Not suitable for smaller mowers
Husqvarna is known for providing excellent mowing tools and requires no introduction. The blades have a contoured shape that allows you to re-cut the clippings into smaller pieces, reducing the need for bagging. The five-starred center hole ensures a firm grip and easy installation of this 22-inch lawnmower blade. Husqvarna’s OEM mulching blade comprises strong materials and has a unique design to provide the best mulching experience.
- Authentic replacement lawn mower blade
- String and durable construction
- Serrated edges offer smooth and finer cut
- Resharpening may be difficult
If you need a budget-friendly deal, then this set of lawnmower blades is perfect for you. These universal replacement lawnmower blades havea low-cut design on one end and a serrated edge on the other end. Each blade has a simple center hole that can be easily installed on most models. With an optimum size, this standard blade is an irresistible bargain for regular lawnmowers.
- Most suitable for Ferris mowers
- Covers maximum area with its length of 21-inches
- Well-balanced and lightweight design
- Avoids the fuss of constant resharpening of blades
- It may not be suitable to cut shortgrass
These authentic Honda lawnmower blades have two-blade designs for a wide range of uses and excellent performance. The kit includes two blades, a high-lift blade, and a mulching blade, so you can replace them as needed. Both blades have a simple center hole for easy installation. These best lawnmower blades have a balanced structure and a solid frame that can help cover a large area quickly.
- Long and firm blades
- Suitable for most Honda mowers
- Provides smooth cut and reduces debris
- May bend easily
Maxpower blade comes with a one-inch center hole, a cover washer, and six replacement washers of different sizes to help you find the right fit each time. The blade has a simple design and is made of durable material. This 20-inch best lawnmower blade has the length of a standard blade, and its width is 2.25-inches,which can cover the largest area in a short time.
- Suitable for MTD, Sears, AYP, and Snapper models
- Heavy-duty blade with high efficacy
- Easy installation
- Might not be suitable for mowers not specified by the manufacturer
This John Deere OEM kit contains three blades to provide more extensive coverage. These blades are ideal for daily mowing due to their durable design. Its simple center hole is compatible with most brands and requires little maintenance. The high-lift edge can make the grass cut neatly and smoothly and cover it into finer particles, reducing debris.
- Durable framework
- Easy to install
- Provides clean cut of the grass in a short time
- Blade may not be rust-proof
16. Ariens Blades
Ariens blade design is standard and straightforward, so it is compatible with most lawn mowers on the market. The sharp and durable structure makes this high-lift22-inch lawnmower blade a useful tool for maximum coverage. The blade is pre-sharpened, so you can immediately start trimming off the turf. With a simple central hole design, the mulching blade is easy to install and maintain.
- Helps in covering a large area in a short time
- Offers a perfect fit
- A low-vibration design
- Might get dull faster
- Blade may not be rust-resistant
Ryobi’s best lawnmower blades have high-lift edges and are an ideal replacement for blunt blades. This heavy-duty blade has a simple center hole, making it compatible with Ryobi lawnmowers. This OEM blade ensures a clipping free yard. The longer length of this 20-inch mulching blade will make your yard cleaner in a short time, and due to the extensive covering ability, the blade can reduce the formation of debris.
- Made of durable and high-quality material
- Has a smooth and excellent lift
- Comes pre-sharpened
- Reduces bagging of debris
- Not a universal model
How To Choose The Best Lawn Mower Blades?
Here are the features you must look at while purchasing a lawnmower blade:
- Width of the blade: Wide blades can cover more area and reduce the time you spend on the mower. But at the same time, a large width may damage other components of the lawnmower. The ideal width is two to three inches.
- Length of the blade: The perfect length and width provide high efficiency for the blade. For short mowers, the optimal length is 16 to 22 inches. There are also blades up to 30 inches in length.
- Blade holes: The center hole design can vary depending on the blade. A simple central hole will loosen over time and may require a washer. Five or six star holes provide a firmer grip. Before purchasing, you must also check the size of the attachment bolts in the mower. •
- Deck size: This factor largely depends on the size of the lawnmower. The smaller the deck size, the smaller should be your blade size.
- The shape of the blade: Try to purchase a replacement blade that is most similar to the original blade. Check for blades compatible with your lawnmower for the best fit.
- The number of blades: Push mowers and self-propelled lawnmowers only require single blades. Riding lawnmowers may require more than one.
- Material: Stainless steel blades have a longer service life. If the construction is too thin, the blades may bend during use. Similarly, if you plan to use a lawnmower on wet grass, consider using an anti-rust model.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to know when to sharpen or replace the lawnmower blade?
If you do not regularly use the lawnmower, you can hone it every season or every few months. This factor depends on the size of the lawn. The larger the lawnarea, the greater the need to sharpen the blade often. Remember that if the mowing is prickly or clumped in one place, it is because the blade is blunt.
2. How do to know which mower blade will fit your lawnmower?
Always refer to the manufacturer’s guide and customer reviews to check if the selected product is ideal for your lawnmower. Before looking for a replacement blade, you must check the center hole, length, and mower width. You must also check whether the mower is compatible with blades that contain multiple center holes.
3. How to clean the lawnmower blade?
If you want the blade to be used for a long time, cleaning is the most economical method. Regular maintenance of the blade can ensure firm and smooth cutting of the grass. Here’s how you clean a lawnmower blade:
- As a precaution, wear rubber gloves.
- Turn the lawnmower over. Avoid tilting sideways to prevent oilleakage.
- Remove the spark plug.
- If there is any debris stuck, remove them first by hosing it.
- Clean all hard residues with a wire brush.
- Use a socket wrench to remove the blade carefully. Please note which nut fits which slot.
- Now wipe the blade and apply a thin layer of oil on it.
- Finally, reinstall the blade and tighten it.
Lawnmower blades play an important role in keeping your lawn trimmed. New lawnmower blades are essential when old blades are worn out and may damage your lawn or work ineffectively. Use our buying guide, and you can find what is best to keep your lawn in shape.