Not everyone can carry off a dark lip in style. Some have naturally dark lips, while others may end up with dark lips due to their lifestyle. The best lip balms for dark lips let you provide nourishment in addition to providing gloss and style.
Lip balms can help you slowly reduce the darkness, but you will have to supplement it with a healthy diet too. We have rounded up the best balms effective for dark lips in this post.
Our Top Picks
21 Best Lip Balms For Dark Lips
1. Best For Damaged Lips: 8 Pack Lip Balm Gift Set by Naturistick
This lip balm is available in four natural flavors and is made of 100% beeswax and over ten natural ingredients. It protects your lips from the harsh sun rays and prevents the darkening of the lips.
- Free of petroleum, gluten, parabens, and other harsh chemicals
- Safe for adults and children across ages
- Comes with four naturally soothing flavors—peppermint, pomegranate, vanilla, and green tea
- Perfect balm for healing dry, chapped, or damaged lips
2. Best Natural: ArtNaturals Natural Lip Balm Beeswax
The ArtNaturals Lip Balm is made of all-natural products and is enriched with antioxidants and vitamins to heal and moisturize the lips. It is an easy-to-carry lip balm and is free of any harmful chemicals.
- Comes in six flavors—island coconut, passion pitaya, mango papaya, hibiscus blossom, grapefruit tonic, and eucalyptus mint
- Combines jojoba, coconut, and sunflower seed oils with natural beeswax to moisturize the lips
- Free of paraben
3. Best For Sensitive Lips: Organic Tinted Lip Balm by Sky Organics
Sky Organics offers this pack of lip balms for the most sensitive lips. Made of non-toxic, organic raw materials, it is completely safe to use and heals chapped and dark lips naturally. Here’s a video to help you understand the product better and make an informed choice.
- Comes in four shades, namely shimmer, champagne, plum, and raisin
- Made of organic castor oil, organic beeswax, organic cocoa butter and other organic ingredients that keep the skin moisturized and healthy
- Flavors like peppermint vanilla, plum, and raisins make it a favorite choice for treating dark lips
- Free of gluten, soy, and non-toxic ingredients
- Treats dry, chapped lips too
4. Best For Dry Lips: Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Origin Moisturizing Lip Balm
This lip balm for treating dry and dark lips from Burt’s Bees is a refreshing product with minty freshness. It is enriched with 100% natural ingredients.
- Offers moisturizing care with beeswax, Vitamin E and peppermint oil
- Glides on smoothly and helps heal dry lips
- Free of parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, and SLS
5. Best For Everyday Use: Burts Bees 100% Natural Tinted Lip Balm
Use just one stroke of this 100% natural tinted lip balm for a long-lasting moisturizing effect. The natural ingredients used for formulating this lip balm helps in getting rid of dark lips. This review video gives you more information about the product.
- Available in six different shades, namely zinnia, pink blossom, hibiscus, rose, red dahlia, and sweet violet
- Has a hint of red color with red dahlia tint everyday use
- Shea butter and botanical waxes help moisturize, hydrate, and smoothen dry lips
- Offers a sheer finish and light coverage for natural-looking lips
6. Best For Moisturization: Vaseline Lip Therapy
- Gives a natural, glossy shine to the lips
- Keeps the lips moist and healthy
- Made of pure natural jelly
- Offers long-lasting care and moisturization
- Flavors like rose, cocoa butter, and crème brulee make it a favorite choice amongst women for treating dark lips
7. Best For Treating Sunburns: Dr. Dans CortiBalm Lip Balm
Dr. Dans CortiBalm Lip Balm is known for containing 1% hydrocortisone, which helps treat chapped lips and dark lips caused by sunburns, medications, etc.
- Reduces inflammation caused by cold sores
- Perfect for chemotherapy patients and people with allergies and sensitive skin
- Blends beeswax, petroleum jelly, mineral oil, and hydrocortisone
- Hypoallergenic and dermatologist-tested lip balm
8. Best For Pre-Teen Girls: Project Mc2 Create Your Own Lip Balm
The Project Mc2 allows you to mix and create your own lip balm with creativity. You can choose from four different flavous, add shimmer or shine, and use it to treat dry or dark lips. It makes an ideal gift for pre-teen girls.
- Available in natural fruity flavors and can be used to create a multi-layer lip balm
- Allows you to personalize the lip balm with labels and stickers
- Kit includes a wax base, a bag of wax beads, a measuring spoon, a spatula, six sticker labels, five lip balm containers, four flavors, and one lip shimmer
- Helps reduce the darkness of the lips with the perfect blend of natural ingredients
9. Best For Sunburn Protection: Neutrogena Revitalizing and Moisturizing Tinted Lip Balm
The Neutrogena Revitalizing and Moisturizing lip balm has SPF 20 sunscreen to protect your lips against sunburn and reduce dark pigmentation. It is formulated with Ion2Complex that adds moisture and makes lips softer and healthier. Check out this video to learn how this product works.
- Improves lip texture with just one week of use
- Has a lightly tinted shade to give a bit of shine and gloss to your lips
- Lessens the effect of sunburns and adds a light tint of color
10. Best For Dark Pigmentation: Supergoop! Fusion Lip Balm
Fusion Lip Balm bySupergoop! is a mint fusion lip balm with SPF 30. It helps lock the moisture in the lips and reduces dark pigmentation while protecting the lips from the sun.
- Contains SPF 30 for skin protection
- Formulated with shea butter, honey, and sunflower oil, which lock in moisture and nourishes the lips
- Mint flavor is an added advantage
11. Best Hydrating: Jane iredale LipDrink Lip Balm
This juicy lip balm by Jane iredale protects your lips from chapping and darkening. It is enriched with the goodness of a variety of waxes and oils to offer your lips long-lasting hydration and sun protection.
- Contains broad-spectrum SPF 15 sunscreen to protect your lips from the harmful rays of the sun
- Antioxidant-rich balm acts as a protective shield
- Refreshing lemon flavor makes you want to use it more frequently
- Leaves your lips fragrant and scented
Banana Boat Sport Performance Lip Balm with SPF 50 is efficient in improving lip texture. This lip balm lasts long and gradually lightens the dark lips.
- Three-way UV protection with AvoTriplex technology helps protect lips from sunburn
- Resistant to water for upto 80 minutes
- Prevents the lips from drying and chapping
- Moisturizing effect lasts long
Labello is a classic lip balm that hydrates lips and keeps them healthy. The lip balm is also known to keep the lips soft and prevent scaling.
- Formulated with shea butter and panthenol
- Keeps the lips moisturized for upto 12 hours
- Natural ingredients help reduce dark lips
- Protects the skin from UV rays
Made of 100 % natural ingredients, eos Natural and Organic Sphere Lip Balm deeply hydrates the skin. It is paraben-free, hypoallergenic, and has not been tested on animals.
- Contains shea butter, coconut oil, and Jojoba seed oil, which naturally moisturize the lips
- Pomegranate raspberry flavor makes it a perfect choice for most women
- Protects the skin from getting dry
- Naturally elevates the dark color of the lips
- Free of parabens, phthalates, and gluten
Dr Pepper Cup Lip Balm by Li Smacker is specially formulated to hydrate your lips. The dome-shaped lip balm gives a soft shine and plumpness to your lips.
- Gives a gloss to your lips
- Lightens dark lips after extended usage
- A trusted choice for women who want to use flavored lip balms
- Protects the lips from damage caused by the harsh sun rays
16. Sun Bum Lip Balm
Sun Bum Lip Balm comes with SPF 30 to protect your lips from sunburn and pomegranate flavor to keep your lips smelling fresh. It is enriched with the goodness of cocoa butter, aloe, and vitamin E, which help hydrate and moisturize chapped lips.
- Protects your lips from sunburns
- Hypoallergenic, gluten-free, and cruelty-free
- Reduces dark lip color gradually
- Perfect for people who live on the beach
Mario Badescu Rose Lip balm softens and nourishes dry lips. It is gentle on the lips and enriches it with nutrients.
- Delicate rose fragrance makes it a choice for many women for softening the lips
- Nutrients, dense butters, and moisturizing oils keep the lips healthy
- Enriched with cocoa butter, almond oil, and antioxidant vitamin E to reduce the dark pigments gradually and prevent the lips from drying
- This balm melts on the lips and renews it
eos Super Soft Shea Stick Lip Balm contains shea butter and natural oils that help to seal the moisture and keep the lips hydrated and moisturized. It is derma-tested and hypoallergenic.
- Deeply hydrates the lips with shea butter, coconut oil, and jojoba seed oil
- Juicy flavors like strawberry, peach, pineaple, and passion fruit make it a natural choice for many women
- Helps reduce darkening of the lips
- Leaves fruity moisture on the lips
- Free of parabens, phthalates, and gluten
Chap Ice Lip Naturals mini lip balm nourishes and hydrates the lips all day long. Formulated with beeswax, sunflower seed oil, castor seed oil, coconut oil, and peppermint oil, it offers complete nourishment to the lip.
- Contains SPF 15 and other natural ingredients to prevent sunburn
- Has vitamin E to provide antioxidants and moisture to the lips
- Comes in a variety of flavors
- Reduces dark lip color when used consistently for long periods.
Kind Lips Organic Lip Balm is made with 100% organic ingredients to give the best nourishment to the lips. It is free of parabens and other harmful chemicals.
- Organic ingredients like beeswax, coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter, and jojoba seed oil give the softness that your lips need
- Natural ingredients help maintain moisture on your lips
- Protects the lips from sunburn
- Olive oil and shea butter help reduce dark lips
Drunk Elephant Lippe Balm has been enriched with natural ingredients to give you delicate lips and to make your lips look younger and plump again. It helps reduce darkness and keeps the lips hydrated for long.
- Has a blend of avocado, mongongo, marula oils to replenish the lips and get rid of darkness
- Enriched with a rare combination of peptides and sea fern algae to plump up the lips and give an enhanced appearance
- Suitable for sensitive lips
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do lip balms really work on dark lips?
Lip balms alone do not help in reducing dark lips. Exfoliate and moisturize your lips to permanently reduce dark lips.
2. What are the benefits of lip balms?
Lip balms serve a lot of purposes as they have both cosmetic and therapeutic value. There are various benefits of using lip balms:
- Protect skin from losing moisture
- Provide optimum hydration to lips
- Provide essential nutrients to help reduce dark lips
- Keep lips nourished
- Leave a glossy effect on the lips
3. How do I choose the right lip balm?
When choosing a lip balm, look for the following features:
- Hydration and protection: Lip balms are your best friends in winters. Buy lip balms that keep your delicate lips hydrated, soft, and supple in winters.
- Shine and color: Go for a little glamour and a little shine when choosing lip balms. Also, choose a lip balm that has a pleasant flavor.
- Sun protection: Your lips are sensitive and vulnerable to the sun’s rays. Choose lip balms that have SPF protection to protect your lips from darkening.
- Moisture: Make sure your lip balm keeps your lips well hydrated and provides all the nourishment it needs.
Dark lips may be caused due to several reasons, ranging from suntan, underlying health issues, or dehydration. To keep your lips hydrated and protected from the sun, choosing a lip balm with nourishing ingredients is important, free of harsh chemicals. When purchasing a lip balm, you can go for one that adds a little shine and color to your lips for a subtle makeup look. Lastly, ensure it can moisturize your lips well to prevent chapped, dry lips. We hope our list of the best lip balms for dark lips can help you in your search.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is an aficionado of all things fashion, beauty, and personal care. Her review process involves an in-depth understanding of each product, so she can find the best ones in each category to recommend to her readers. In this article, she highlights the best lip balms for dark lips that can make you look uber chic. These lip balms are selected based on user feedback and are high-quality, nourishing, and safe.
Which of these lip balms appeals to you? Let us know in the comments section below.
- Best Drugstore Matte Lipsticks
- Best L’oreal Lipsticks
- Best Mauve Lipsticks For Your Skin Tone
- Best Beauty Products For Teens