Not everyone can carry off a dark lip in style. Some have naturally dark lips, while others may end up with dark lips due to their lifestyle. The best lip balms for dark lips let you provide nourishment in addition to providing gloss and style.
Lip balms can help you slowly reduce the darkness, but you will have to supplement it with a healthy diet too. We have rounded up the best balms effective for dark lips in this post.
21 Best Lip Balms For Dark Lips
1. Best For Damaged Lips: 8 Pack Lip Balm Gift Set By Naturistick
This lip balm is available in four natural flavors and is made of 100% beeswax and over ten natural ingredients. It protects your lips from the harsh sun rays and prevents the darkening of the lips.
- Free of petroleum, gluten, parabens, and other harsh chemicals
- Safe for adults and children across ages
- Comes with four naturally soothing flavors—peppermint, pomegranate, vanilla, and green tea
- Ideal for healing dry, chapped, or damaged lips
- May require frequent reapplications
- May leave behind a white film
2. Best Natural: ArtNaturals Natural Lip Balm Beeswax
The ArtNaturals Lip Balm is made of all-natural products and is enriched with antioxidants and vitamins to heal and moisturize the lips. It is an easy-to-carry lip balm and is free of any harmful chemicals. The balm comes in six flavors—island coconut, passion pitaya, mango papaya, hibiscus blossom, grapefruit tonic, and eucalyptus mint.
- Combines jojoba, coconut, and sunflower seed oils with natural beeswax to moisturize the lips
- Free of paraben and gluten
- Suitable for all skin types
- May have waxy feel
- May not work for extremely dry lips
3. Best For Sensitive Lips: Organic Tinted Lip Balm By Sky Organics
Sky Organics offers this pack of lip balms for the most sensitive lips. Made of non-toxic, organic raw materials, it is completely safe to use and heals chapped and dark lips naturally. The lip balms are made of organic castor oil, organic beeswax, organic cocoa butter and other organic ingredients that keep the skin moisturized and healthy. Here’s a video to help you understand the product better and make an informed choice.
- Comes in four shades, namely shimmer, champagne, plum, and raisin
- Available in peppermint vanilla, plum, and raisins flavors
- Free of gluten, soy, and non-toxic ingredients
- Treats dry, chapped lips
- Some may experience tingly sensation
- May need frequent re-application
4. Best For Dry Lips: Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Origin Moisturizing Lip Balm
This lip balm for treating dry and dark lips from Burt’s Bees is a refreshing product with minty freshness. It is enriched with 100% natural ingredients. The balm is infused with beeswax, vitamin E, and peppermint oil.
- Offers moisturizing care
- Glides on smoothly and helps heal dry lips
- Free of parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, and SLS
- Has a pleasant fragrance
- May not heal chapped, scaly lips
5. Best For Everyday Use: Burts Bees 100% Natural Tinted Lip Balm
Use just one stroke of this 100% natural tinted lip balm for a long-lasting moisturizing effect. The natural ingredients used for formulating this lip balm helps in getting rid of dark lips. It is available in six different shades, namely zinnia, pink blossom, hibiscus, rose, red dahlia, and sweet violet. This review video gives you more information about the product.
- Has a hint of red color with red dahlia tint for everyday use
- Shea butter and botanical waxes help hydrate and smoothen dry lips
- Offers a sheer finish and light coverage for natural-looking lips
- Formulated with no parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, and SLS
- May feel bit greasy
- Color may not last long
6. Best For Moisturization: Vaseline Lip Therapy
Vaseline Lip Therapy balm helps treat chapped lips and reduces dark pigmentation on regular usage. It offers long-lasting moisturization to keep your lips soft and hydrated. Made with petrolatum and cocoa seed butter, it helps keep your lips healthy and moist.
- Adds a natural, glossy shine
- Nice fragrance
- Available in many flavors
- Consistency may be thicker than expected
- Quantity may not be sufficient for some
7. Best For Treating Sunburns: Dr. Dans CortiBalm Lip Balm
Dr. Dans CortiBalm Lip Balm is known for containing 1% hydrocortisone, which helps treat chapped lips and dark lips caused by sunburns, medications, etc. It is perfect for chemotherapy patients and people with allergies and sensitive skin. This lip balm is a blend of beeswax, petroleum jelly, mineral oil, and hydrocortisone.
- Reduces inflammation caused by cold sores
- Hypoallergenic and dermatologist-tested lip balm
- Cruelty-free and made without gluten
- Nourishes lips
- May have a medicinal smell
- Has hydrocortisone, which is a steroid
8. Best For Pre-Teen Girls: Project Mc2 Create Your Own Lip Balm
The Project Mc2 allows you to mix and create your own lip balm with creativity. You can choose from four different flavors, add shimmer or shine, and use it to treat dry or dark lips. It makes an ideal gift for pre-teen girls. It is available in natural fruity flavors and can be used to create a multi-layer lip balm. Kit includes a wax base, a bag of wax beads, a measuring spoon, a spatula, six sticker labels, five lip balm containers, four flavors, and one lip shimmer.
- Allows you to personalize the lip balm with labels and stickers
- Helps reduce darkness of the lips with the perfect blend of natural ingredients
- Allows to create single or multiple layers of lip balm
- Easy and simple instructions
- Melting may take longer time
- Boiling water technique not suitable for kids
9. Best For Sunburn Protection: Neutrogena Revitalizing and Moisturizing Tinted Lip Balm
The Neutrogena Revitalizing and Moisturizing lip balm has SPF 20 sunscreen to protect your lips against sunburn and reduce dark pigmentation. It is formulated with Ion2Complex that adds moisture and makes lips softer and healthier. Check out this video to learn how this product works.
- Improves lip texture with just one week of use
- Has a lightly tinted shade to give a bit of shine and gloss to your lips
- Lessens the effect of sunburns and adds a light tint of color
- Available in different shades
- May not wear long
- May have a sticky consistency
10. Best For Dark Pigmentation: Supergoop! Fusion Lip Balm
Fusion Lip Balm bySupergoop! is a mint fusion lip balm with SPF 30. It helps lock the moisture in the lips and reduces dark pigmentation while protecting the lips from the sun. The lip balm is formulated with shea butter, honey, and sunflower oil, which lock in moisture and nourishes the lips.
- Provides protection from UVA, UVB, and IRA rays
- Mint flavored
- No white-cast
- Texture might seem bit grainy at times
11. Best Hydrating: Jane Iredale LipDrink Lip Balm
This juicy lip balm by Jane iredale protects your lips from chapping and darkening. It is enriched with the goodness of a variety of waxes and oils to offer your lips long-lasting hydration and sun protection. It contains broad-spectrum SPF 15 sunscreen to protect your lips from the harmful rays of the sun.
- Antioxidant-rich balm acts as a protective shield
- Refreshing lemon flavor
- Hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic
- May not last long
- May leave a white cast
Banana Boat Sport Performance Lip Balm with SPF 50 is efficient in improving lip texture. This lip balm lasts long and gradually lightens the dark lips. It offers three-way UV protection with AvoTriplex technology that helps protect lips from sunburn.
- Resistant to water for upto 80 minutes
- Prevents the lips from drying and chapping
- Moisturizing effect lasts long
- Has a creamy consistency
- Might fall apart because of its creamy consistency
- Might feel a tad sticky
Labello is a classic lip balm that hydrates lips and keeps them healthy. The lip balm is also known to keep the lips soft and prevent scaling. It is formulated with shea butter and panthenol.
- Keeps the lips moisturized for upto 12 hours
- Natural ingredients help reduce darkness of lips
- Protects the skin from UV rays
- Mineral-oil free
- May have a waxy consistency
Made of 100 % natural ingredients, eos Natural and Organic Sphere Lip Balm deeply hydrates the skin. It is paraben-free, hypoallergenic, and has not been tested on animals. The balm contains shea butter, coconut oil, and Jojoba seed oil, which naturally moisturize the lips. The pomegranate raspberry flavor makes it a perfect choice for most women.
- Available in different flavors
- Protects the lips from getting dry
- Naturally elevates the dark color of the lips
- Free of phthalates and gluten
- Flavor may be a little faint
- May have tiny granules
Dr Pepper Cup Lip Balm by Lip Smacker is specially formulated to hydrate your lips. The dome-shaped lip balm gives a soft shine and plumpness to your lips. It’s a trusted choice for women who want to use flavored lip balms.
- Gives a gloss to your lips
- Lightens dark lips after extended use
- Protects the lips from damage caused by harsh sun rays
- Easy to hold and apply
- Flavor may be intense for some
- May have a cinnamon after-taste
16. Sun Bum Lip Balm
Sun Bum Lip Balm comes with SPF 30 to protect your lips from sunburn and pomegranate flavor to keep your lips smelling fresh. It is enriched with the goodness of cocoa butter, aloe, and vitamin E, which help hydrate and moisturize chapped lips. This lip balm is ideal for people who live on the beach.
- Hypoallergenic formulation
- Reduces dark lip color gradually
- Available in different colors
- May spread around your lips
- May feel a bit greasy
Mario Badescu Rose Lip balm softens and nourishes dry lips. It is gentle on the lips and enriches it with nutrients. This lip balm is enriched with cocoa butter, almond oil, and antioxidant vitamin E to reduce the dark pigments gradually and prevent the lips from drying.
- Has delicate rose fragrance
- Nutrients, dense butters, and moisturizing oils keep the lips healthy
- Balm melts on the lips
- Offers satin finish
- May need two or three layers for intense moisturization
- May not heal chapped lips
eos Super Soft Shea Stick Lip Balm contains shea butter and natural oils that help to seal the moisture and keep the lips hydrated. It is derma-tested and hypoallergenic. The balm is infused with shea butter, coconut oil, and jojoba seed oil to offer the right hydration. This balm comes with juicy flavors like strawberry, peach, pineapple, and passion fruit making it a natural choice for many women.
- Helps reduce darkening of the lips
- Suitable for sensitive lips
- Free of parabens, phthalates, and gluten
- PETA certified, cruelty-free
- May require frequent reapplication
- May melt quicker
Chap Ice Lip Naturals mini lip balm nourishes and hydrates the lips all day long. Formulated with beeswax, sunflower seed oil, castor seed oil, coconut oil, and peppermint oil, it offers complete nourishment to the lip. It contains SPF 15 and other natural ingredients to prevent sunburn.
- Has antioxidant-rich vitamin E to provide hydration
- Reduces darkness of the lips when used consistently
- Comes in a variety of flavors
- Suitable for dry skin
- May have a thick consistency
Kind Lips Organic Lip Balm is made with 100% organic ingredients to give the best nourishment to the lips. It is free of parabens and other harmful chemicals.
- Natural ingredients help maintain moisture levels
- Protects the lips from sunburn
- Olive oil and shea butter help reduce darkness
- Makes lips soft and luscious
- Some may not like its scent
- May not heal extremely chapped lips
Drunk Elephant Lippe Balm has been enriched with natural ingredients to give you delicate lips and to make your lips look younger and plump again. It helps reduce darkness and keeps the lips hydrated for long. It has a blend of avocado, mongongo, marula oils to replenish the lips and get rid of darkness.The balm is enriched with a rare combination of peptides and sea fern algae to plump up the lips and improve their appearance.
- Adds definition to the lip lines
- Suitable for sensitive lips
- Soften your lips
- May not work for chapped lips
- Some may find the lip balm smaller than expected
How To Choose The Right Lip Balms For Dark Lips?
Here are some factors to consider when choosing the right lip balms for dark lips.
- Hydration: Choose lip balms made of natural beeswax, cocoa butter, and organic oils, including castor, sunflower seed, and coconut to keep your lips supple and moisturized throughout the winter.
- Sun protection: If you want to prevent your lips from becoming darker, choose lip balms with SPF protection to block the harmful UV rays.
- Ingredients:Pick lip balms devoid of parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, mineral oils, and other harsh ingredients. They should be free of drying agents and preservatives to keep your lips healthy.
- Preference: You can choose between colored and clear formula and matte or gloss finish according to your requirements. Moreover, lip balms are available in various fruity flavors to suit your taste.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is an aficionado of all things fashion, beauty, and personal care. Her review process involves an in-depth understanding of each product, so she can find the best ones in each category to recommend to her readers. In this article, she highlights the best lip balms for dark lips that can make you look uber chic. These lip balms are selected based on user feedback and are high-quality, nourishing, and safe.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What ingredients are used in lip balms to treat dark lips?
Coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter, almond oil, and strawberry extract are a few ingredients that help minimize the appearance of the dark lips. However, the actual effectiveness of these ingredients remains unexplored.
2. Can a lip balm remove darkness of the lips?
Yes, to some extent, because a lip balm can lighten the appearance of and hydrate the lips. It can also prevent the lips from becoming dark further.
3. Which lip balm makes lips pink?
Lip balms formulated with pomegranate or raspberry juice can make the lips appear pink. However, the result may only be temporary.
4. Is it okay to use lip balm every day?
Yes, it is, because lip balm nourishes and moisturizes the lips. In fact, AAD suggests applying lip balm every day if you have dry lips (1).
5. Is lip balm better than vaseline for dark lips?
Vaseline is a petroleum jelly that keeps the skin moisturized. It can only deal with skin dryness. Whereas, certain lip balms are specially formulated with skin lightening ingredients that help in eliminating dark lips.
6. Is coconut oil best for curing dark lips?
Coconut oil is considered as a natural remedy for minimizing darkness of the lips. Applying this oil regularly can prevent dryness, reduce dark spots, and keep the lips soft. However, the effectiveness is uninvestigated.
7. Will lip balm really cure dark lips due to smoking?
A lip balm can only minimize the appearance of dark lips due to smoking. You should consult a dermatologist to lighten the lips permanently if you smoke.
- 7 DERMATOLOGISTS’ TIPS FOR HEALING DRY, CHAPPED LIPS
- Best Drugstore Matte Lipsticks
- Best L’oreal Lipsticks
- Best Mauve Lipsticks For Your Skin Tone
- Best Beauty Products For Teens