If keeping your valuables in a safe spot is a concern, you can check out our list of the best locks for storage units to secure them. These locks are smartly designed for use at home and outdoors. The weatherproof mechanism of these locks prevents corrosion under extreme climatic conditions, and the padlocks help you set passwords and change them at your convenience. If you’re looking for a lock for your storage units to keep your valuable possessions safe, explore our list of reliable products to choose the right one for yourself.
Types Of Locks For Storage Units
Locks for storage units can be grouped under six types.
- Key access disc locks: Compared with other locks, these locks are more resistant to breaches from strikes, drills, and lock picking. The small U-shaped shackle makes it difficult for unwanted intruders to gain access.
- Key access padlocks: Padlocks have chambers that connect to a circular or rectangular locking mechanism. You need to insert the key into the chamber and turn it clockwise to release the lock. These are affordable and quick to unlock.
- Combination and dial locks: This type of lock does not require a key. You only need to enter the number combination through a dial or press a code on the pad to unlock the device.
- Key or dial chain locks: These locks consist of a long chain and a locking mechanism that you can open with a key or dial combination. They are effective in protecting your bike but not efficient for storage units.
- Cylinder locks: These are locks that you usually use on your doors.
- Bluetooth locks: These are locks that can be remotely controlled via smartphones or other compatible devices. You can monitor Bluetooth-enabled locks for storage units anytime and anywhere via an associated app.
11 Best Locks For Storage Units
Puroma is a four-digit lock that offers 10,000 combinations. The shackle has a diameter of 0.25in, and the lock is suitable for gymnasiums, schools, toolboxes, etc. A numeric combination makes it easy to reset your preferred number and avoid the hassle of carrying keys. When setting the combination, the side window allows you to view it easily. This trusted mini-sized black lock is made of zinc and alloy and comes in a pack of two. Watch this video of the combination lock for storage units for more information.
- Compact design
- Easy to carry
- Easily readable
- Small tooth engagement
Master Lock is one of the best outdoor and indoor padlocks and is most suitable for storage units, sheds, or gate locks. It uses a black vinyl-covered aluminum body to make it corrosion- and scratch-resistant. For more convenience, it offers a padlock for storage units with two matching color keys. The diameter of the shackle is 0.25in, making it compatible with most locking holes. The four-pin cylinder prevents prying, and the dual locking levers prevent hammering. Go through this video review for a detailed understanding of this high-security lock for storage units.
- Compact design
- Four-pin cylinder
- May be hard to open at times
3. Best With All-Round Protection:Abus Diskus 20/70 Padlock
Made of heavy-duty stainless steel material both internally and externally, this tried-and-tested Diskus padlock by Abus is burgle-proof. It features a disk cylinder to resist drilling and key manipulation. In addition, the cylinder also keeps the keyhole dust- and splash-resistant. Designed with the welded seam, the padlock resists break-open. Additionally, the anti-cut plate enhances safety and saw protection.
- Provides all-round protection
- Includes a spare key
- Designed with key codes
- Narrow temple opening
- Heavy-duty lock for storage units
- Shackle may not be compatible with the thick latch
- Key’s base may be bulky
Best Easy To Carry
Best With All-Round Protection
|Puroma Combination Lock||Master Lock Padlock||Abus Diskus 20/70 Padlock|
|Material||Steel, Zinc||Aluminum, Alloy Steel||Aluminum,Brass,Stainless,Stainless Steel,Steel|
|Dimensions||3.15 x 1.73 x 0.8 inches||5.6 x 3.5 x 0.8 inches||2.75 x 2.75 x 2.5 inches|
|Weight||8.8 ounces||3.2 ounces||5.6 ounces|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
Brinks lock is a high-security padlock with a stainless steel body, ideal for securing lockers, sheds, and toolboxes. The circular design minimizes shackle exposure and protects against cutting, while the four-dial combination provides you with higher security. The ergonomic single steel bar locking mechanism makes it pick-resistant.
- Numbers may be stiff to rotate
Schlage high-security lock has a six-pin brass cylinder with a polished finish. It is a universal latch, compatible with most locking holes. The diameter of the molybdenum steel shackle is 2.5in, which provides heightened security. The round-shaped hardened solid steel cylinder lock for storage units comes in a pack of two, including four identical keys.
- Thick shackles
- Lifetime warranty
- Delicate keys
6. Best Versatile:Puroma Keyed Padlock
Suitable for garages, toolboxes, sheds, and gates, this versatile padlock by Puroma features a chrome-plated shackle, protecting against bolt cutters. The professional-grade padlock kit includes three keys, and these keys can’t open other padlocks by Puroma. In addition, the stainless steel body construction and the brass cylinder design offer added safety to the keyed lock for storage units. Moreover, the rounded-shielded design minimizes shackle exposure.
- Compact and lightweight
- Round-shielded design
- May not be compatible with school lockers
- May not include a keyhole protection cover
Sanxi stainless steel disc padlock, weighing 250g, is ideal for gates, storage units, lockers, etc. The shackle, measuring 0.95in in diameter, is made of hardened steel for higher security and is compatible with most latches. According to reviewers, the minimal exposure of the shackle makes it anti-pry. The four-digit dial allows you to set a password in 10,000 combinations.
- Heavy duty shrouded shackle lock for storage units
- Difficult to put through chains
Tuff4ever is a heavy-duty padlock built to withstand maximum weather resistance. The 304 stainless steel provides a superior cut and makes it pry-resistant. The shackle’s circular shield design is 0.25in in diameter, reducing the risk of shackle exposure. The solid brass tumbler has a five-pin cylinder, and the black rubber bumper protects the body from scratches. It is constructed with high-quality inner components and comes with three keys.
- Weather-resistant lock for storage units
- Maybe stiff to lock
If you are looking for a perfect keyless solution, FJM Security padlock is the trusted choice. The four-dial combination disc padlock is suitable for security gates, bikes, storage units, etc. Its unique shape and design protect it from theft, bolt cutters, and intrusive tools. With more than 10,000 password combinations, the padlock offers maximum security. The lock’s exterior is made of 304 stainless steel material, making this disc lock for storage units suitable for heavy-duty outdoor applications.
- Numbers may be hard to turn
Jin Jin lock is a five-position combination padlock with a long handle, ideal for door handles, file cabinets, gym lockers, etc. The time-tested high-security padlock offers 100,000 password combinations for higher security. The cast metal body is made of zinc alloy material, making it durable. The 2.75in long handle makes it ideal for most latches. The lightweight lock is small and portable.
- Long shackle lock for storage units
- The combinations may not hold up well
Commando provides this military-grade padlock manufactured to suit aerospace tolerance for high security. A highly secured cylinder with ten security pins prevents theft and breakage, while the riveting interlocking structure and re-curved design protect it from hammer blows. The high-quality steel-alloy shackle is ideal for doors, storage containers, cabinets, and gun cases. It comes in a pack of two with four keys.
- Made of dual-hardened steel
- Coating may not be durable
How To Choose The Right Lock For Storage Unit
Before purchasing a tried-and-tested lock for your storage unit, consider the following points.
- Security: If you are buying it for a unit that already has some other locking provisions, you can choose a lock made of light material. However, if you are buying for high-security purposes, you should choose a sturdy lock.
- Shackle size: This is an essential factor to consider because if your latch is big and the shackle’s diameter is small, you will not be able to use it. Besides, too much shackle exposure makes it vulnerable to theft.
- Size: Determine the lock’s size according to your application area’s size. Avoid buying a large padlock if you want to use it for a small storage unit.
- Design: Conventional padlocks are more comfortable to cut than disc padlocks. Disc padlocks are safer because the shackles do not provide enough space for bolt cutters.
- Durability: If you are buying a lock for outdoor use, ensure the lock is weatherproof. Too much weather exposure may cause it to rust.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Your storage units may consist of important documents, ornaments, and other things that need to be kept safe. A cutting-edge locking system would help keep your possessions safe and secure. To purchase an appropriate lock for your requirement, consider the security level you expect and choose the size and design accordingly. From Bluetooth to combination locks, our list of the best locks for storage units includes various durable, easy-to-operate, and long-lasting options for optimal security.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need to buy a lock for my storage unit?
If your storage unit doesn’t have an in-built lock or the existing one isn’t sturdy enough, investing in a high-quality lock is a good idea.
2. What kind of lock do I need for a storage unit?
Disc locks are ideal as their design makes them cutproof. Locks with a combination padlock add to the security quotient. They should be made of corrosion-resistant material, such as vinyl coating, and the lock’s shackle size should be proportional to the storage unit’s latch.
3. How do I secure a storage locker?
Depending on the design of the storage locker latch, you could secure it with a disc lock, keyless combination lock, or heavy-duty padlock.
4. How do I open a storage unit when the keys are lost?
You’ll have to go through the tedious and time-consuming process of cutting or breaking the lock. If you are prone to losing keys quite often, a keyless entry lock for storage units or a combination lock will serve you better.
5. Is it safe to store things in a storage unit?
As long as the storage unit is secured with a high-quality, sturdy lock that cannot be easily damaged, it could be safe to store things in a high-grade storage unit.
6. How long do storage unit locks last?
Storage unit locks can last for years at a stretch if maintained well and made by reputable manufacturers using durable and corrosion-resistant materials.
Sturdy locks are essential for keeping your valuables safe. The best locks for storage units come in various designs and sizes and serve many purposes. When storing your personal belongings, you will need the best locks to secure them. Our top pick is the Puroma Combination Lock with a numeric locking system that eliminates the need to carry keys. You may also consider the Brinks Padlock for its weather-proof feature or the Schlage Padlock for its tamper-proof protection. Additionally, you can consider the other options on this list to protect your valuables.
Infographic: What Are The Different Kinds Of Locks For Storage Units?
Selecting the right lock for your storage unit involves understanding the various types available and their unique features and characteristics. Check out the following infographic for an overview of these options. It could help you find a lock that best suits your needs and circumstances.
- Best TSA Luggage Locks
- Best Baby Cabinet Locks
- Best Biometric Door Locks
- Best Key Lock Boxes
- Best Toilet Locks