Do you know what can help your lips look fuller, well-defined, and bold? A lip liner. The best long-lasting lip liners can make all the difference by making your lip color appear more prominent and preventing your lipstick from bleeding. These beauty products prime your lips for a long-lasting, flawless look and act as a barrier to keep your lipstick from smudging onto other areas of your face.
Simone de Vlaming, a beauty expert and founder of Beautymone, says, “If you’re not blessed with big lips but want them to appear bigger, using a lip liner is a fantastic way to do so–without having to undergo treatments like fillers.”
Lip liners are made of quality ingredients and come in different textures, shades, and colors. Below, you will find some of the popular lip liners that will keep your lipstick looking gorgeous. Read on to find your match.
No products Found
13 Best Lip Liners
1. Best Lightweight Formula: Covergirl Farewell Feathering Lip Liner
The lightweight, invisible-colored liner blends perfectly well with any lip color you choose. It is made using vitamin E, cottonseed oil, and jojoba, which can keep your lips soft and moisturized. The professional-grade lip liner suits all types of skin tones and prevents bleeding and feathering of the lip shade. Use this precision lip liner to outline your lips, apply any Covergirl lipstick shade you like, and use a tissue to blot and get the desired shape and fuller look for your lips.
- Glides smoothly for precise application
- Anti-feathering agents lock color
- Fills in lines on lips
- Easy-to-blend lip liner
- Need to sharpen after each use
- May feel waxy
- Can’t be used for overlining the lips
2. Best Matte Finish: Milani Color Statement Lipliner
Milani brings eight unique shades of lip liner ranging from pretty pinks and radiant reds to natural nudes. This lip liner offers a matte finish for a gorgeous, well-defined, and long-lasting look. The easy-glide formulation of the lip liner enables easy, seamless, and frustration-free application. You can get the perfect shape even if you apply it in a rush, but follow the procedure right! If you want to know more about this product, here’s a review video worth watching.
- Rich pigmentation
- Available in eight shades
- Glides smoothly
- May have a strong smell
- May feel similar to lipstick texture
3. Best Weightless Formula: Haus Laboratories By lady Gaga: RIP Lip Liner
The demi-matte, weightless formula of the lip liner provides the same texture, comfort, and versatility that lipsticks are known for. The tried-and-tested lip liner is long-lasting, waterproof, and creamy, making your lips look fuller and beautiful. The flake-proof and cruelty-free lip liner is available in nine different shades. You can use this creamy lip liner to outline or overline your lips without worrying about feathering, tugging, or skipping. Here’s a review video showcasing the tester’s experience and summarizing the features of this product.
- Blends well with lipstick
- Glides easily
- Offers great coverage
- May fade
- May crack while sharpening
4. Best Long-Lasting: Revlon Colorstay Lipliner
The lip liner provides faultless definition and makes your lipstick shade last longer. The new, improved formula of the lip liner allows even and smooth application. This makeup artist-approved lip liner gives a weightless feel to your lips and makes your lip color look bolder. Pick any of the 16 shades and pair it with a lustrous lipstick, and you won’t have to deal with smudging or feathering for eight hours. For a striking look, you may use the bold lip liner to fill in the lips entirely!
- Offers a lush finish
- Contains a built-in sharpener
- Smooth and even application
- Easy gliding
- May not have strong staying power
- May need reapplication
5. Best For Plump Effect: L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche Matte Lip Liner
Get a plump effect with this L’Oreal Paris lip liner. You may use this liner to fill the entire lips or to define a matte lipstick of the same shade. The creamy texture of the lip liner ensures easy gliding, preventing cracks or patchy application. In addition, you can sharpen the liner for precise and neat application. So, create subtle or bold lip looks easily to enhance your pout.
- Soft texture
- Convenient to hold
- Easy to apply
- Available in different shades
- Tip may break on rough usage
- Shade may be slightly darker than expected
6. Best All-In-One Liner: Buxom Plumpline Lip Liner
It is an all-in-one lip liner that comes with a built-in brush to give your lips a plump look. The liner helps contour, define, and even fill the lips with color. You can use the creamy-textured lip liner for outlining the lips and giving them a perfect base, or wear it alone in place of lipstick. The professional-grade liner is available in 20 different shades, which can complement a variety of lipstick shades. Whatever look you’re aiming at, Buxom will have a lip liner for that.
- Rich pigment
- Thick and easy to apply
- Blends easily
- Perfect for naturally overlining your lips
- May experience a tingle sensation
- May need reapplication
7. Best Herbal Formula: Palladio Lip Liner
The herbal lip liner, made of vitamins and herbs, glides on the lips easily and smoothly. The tip is slim and needs no sharpening. The safety-tested waterproof formulation of the lip contour pencil offers all-day lasting color. Pick one or more from the mix of eight different shades to give your lips a vibrant look. You can either apply the liner with lipstick or lip gloss or directly fill the lip with your choice of Palladio lip liner shade.
- Retractable lip liner
- Enriched with Chamomile extract and aloe vera
- Cruelty-, gluten-, and paraben-free
- Nourish and soothe your lips
- Keeps the lips hydrated
- May crumble
- Moderate longevity
8. Best All-Natural Ingredients: Beauty For Real D-Fine Lip Liner Pencil
Made of all-natural ingredients, this lip liner is paraben and cruelty-free. The creamy and soft texture of this liner allows quick, easy, and smooth application. With this liner, you can shape your lips and give them a flawless and fuller look. This nude lip liner is available in three neutral shades, which blend well with any lipstick color. You may use it to outline your lips or fill the lips entirely for a long-lasting and natural finish. Wear this neutral lip liner alone, without gloss or lipstick, for a matte, natural finish.
- Creamy formula
- No sharpener required
- Offers a richer look
- Paraben- and cruelty-free
- May run out quickly
- Tip may break or lose precision
9. Best Easy-To-Use: Clinique Quickliner for Lips
Clinique Quickliner is an easy-to-use and convenient lip liner available in over 20 refreshing colors, including intense cranberry, velvet rose, and cocoa peach. The twist brings the lip pencil above, removing the need for a sharpener. The quality-tested non-drying formulation of the twist-up lip liner keeps the color intact on your lips for a long time.
- Can be used to fill the lips
- Stays throughout the day
- Glides well
- Suitable for all skin types
- May cut-off when twisted to a longer tip
- Shade may be darker than expected
10. Best Vegan: Nyx Professional Makeup Slim Lip Pencil
The defining lip liner with a creamy and buttery soft formula by Nyx Professional can help you create those mesmerizing looks. It comes in a pencil shape and has a bleed-resistant formula, allowing you to wear it for long hours. Be it creating a bold look or making a crease to keep your lipstick in place, this soft lip liner can help you do it all. Available in multiple shades such as espresso, mahogany, hot red, bloom, rose, and many more, Nyx has a liner for all skin tones.
- Long-lasting formula
- Sleek, travel-friendly design
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- Anti-bleeding lip liner
- Can be sharpened
- Some may find it a bit drying
- May need to be sharpened frequently
11. Best Gel-Based: Wet N Wild Lip Liner
Boasting a gel-based formula, this liner by Wet N Wild seamlessly glides on the lips for a beautiful finish in just a few strokes. Justifying its proven efficacy, the product is formulated with a proprietary polymer and ester complex blend, making it long-lasting and budge-proof. You can wear the richly pigmented lip liner by itself or use it before applying your favorite lipstick to keep them from fading. Moreover, it comes in a roll-up tube, so you no longer have to look for sharpeners — just roll it up and apply.
- Tug-free application
- Easy to use
- Available in multiple shades
- Requires gentle handling
- May dry out quickly if not stored properly
12. Best Self-Sharpening: Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Liner
Available in shades such as almond rose, totally toffee, nude whisper, very cherry, rich wine, and many more, the liners by Maybelline New York can match all your lipstick shades. Its creamy feather-resistant formula does not bleed and helps you create those sharp and distinct edges. This tried-and-tested anti-feathering lip liner comes in a roll-up tube and is always on point to define without requiring sharpening. Just outline your lips with this enhancing lip liner and fill them with your chosen lipstick for high definition.
- Saturated color
- Doubles as a lipstick
- Easy to use
- Smudge-proof lip liner
- May feel cakey to some
- May not be flake-resistant
13. Best For Everyday Use: Phyto Levres Perfect Lip Liner With Lip Brush & Sharpener
The burgundy lip liner is designed for everyday use and comes with a sharpener and lip brush in the box. The sharpener can be used to get the desired point to glide over the lips for flawless lip lining easily. The brush can be used for defining the shape of the lips and filling the lips with the burgundy color. The smooth lip liner is easy and quick to use. Apply gentle pressure and glide to achieve the perfect outline for your lips.
- Offers intense pigmentation
- Rich in oil and wax for a smooth texture
- Refreshing fragrance that lasts long
- Shade might be slightly different
Why Use A Lip Liner?
A lip liner may not be a part of every woman’s makeup kit, but it can help in defining the shape of the lips and offer the following benefits.
- Improves the shape of lips: If you have uneven lips or want to a well-defined, volumized look, then a lip liner may help you enhance the natural shape of the lips and give you a flawless look.
- Keeps the lip color long-lasting: A good lip liner keeps your lip color intact for many hours. Once you apply, it prevents smudging and feathering of the shade from the edges or corners of your lips.
Simone de Vlaming, says, “If you use a lip liner before applying your lipstick, the color can stay on even longer.”
- Gives a matte finish to lips: A lip liner is soft-textured and made with advanced formulation to provide a matte finish to the lips. Several shades of lip liners available today can be used to replace lipsticks.
But the key to benefiting from using a lip liner is to pick one that’s best for you.
How To Choose The Right Lip Liner?
It is essential to pick the right lip liner to give your looks the perfect shape and plump look. Remember a few points when picking up lip liners from a vast assortment.
- The lip liner you pick should be of the same family as your lipstick. For instance, if you want to apply pink lipstick, then your lip liner should ideally be a shade of pink only. Otherwise, it would be a mismatch, unless you want to experiment boldly.
- If you want to give your lips a perfect and dramatic look, then pick dark-colored shades that can highlight your edges.
- Get a nude shade lip liner as it always works when you have no matching shade. However, make sure the nude you are picking up matches your lip color.
Simone de Vlaming, says, “If you’re looking for the most natural look, opt for the closest match or only one or two shades deeper than your lipstick.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Being a writer and product reviewer whose forte ranges from skincare to fashion, Poulami Nag’s articles are well-researched and are guaranteed to include all the necessary information for those who want to buy the best long-lasting lip liners. From understanding the factors to be considered while buying one to helping you select the right lip liner, this article gives you a seamless experience while choosing the best long-lasting lip liners that complement your makeup needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are long-lasting lip liners safe?
It depends on the formulation. If the lip liner is free of harsh chemicals, synthetic fragrances, parabens, sulfates, etc., it could be safe if used correctly and within the expiry date.
2. Can I use long-lasting lip liners for mature skin?
Yes, you may. However, it’s the right technique that matters. Use a lip primer on the edges of your lips before outlining your lips with a lip liner. Also, lightly color your lips with the same liner and then apply the lipstick.
3. Should my long-lasting lip liner be darker than my lipstick?
Yes, the lip liner should be one or two shades darker than the lipstick. Ensure it belongs to the same color family and undertones as that of the lipstick.
4. Can I use a lip liner as an eyeliner?
The ingredients, texture, and shape of the two liners might seem similar, but they aren’t the same. A lip liner shouldn’t be used as an eyeliner as the eye area is delicate.
5. Can I wear a lip liner?
It’s a matter of personal choice. Smooth, color-rich, moisturizing, and waterproof liners can be used without lipstick. But if you desire some shimmer, apply a gloss or lipstick over it.
6. Does setting spray work on lipliners?
Although most modern formulations are long-lasting and smudge-proof, you can use a skin-safe setting spray to be doubly sure.
If you’re not a fan of frequent touch-ups, you need a lip liner to go with your lipstick so that the color remains intact and your lips are well-defined even after several hours. Your lip liner should not only be well-pigmented but also match the shade of your lipstick for a flawless look. In addition, it is essential you pay attention to the ingredients and formulation of the lip liner and steer clear of those with harsh chemicals that may irritate your lips and skin.
Infographic: How To Apply A Lip Liner?
The lips are considered the most attractive feature of a woman, and using a lip liner to make sure that you outline the shape of your lips perfectly is imperative. Save this infographic, for it provides a guide to applying a lip liner correctly.