If your job involves sitting on a chair for extended hours, or if you love gaming, you need the best lumbar support pillow to show your back some love and care. Choosing a pillow that supports the lumbar region can help you assume the right posture, thus lowering the chances of developing chronic back problems. These pillows are ergonomically designed to contour the natural curve of your spine and generally thicker towards the bottom to support your lumbar region, alleviate lower back pain, and improve posture.
Keep scrolling as we make the process of looking for the right lumbar support pillow easier for you with this list of the top pillows for lumbar support.
Our Top Picks
Types Of Lumbar Support Pillows
Here are the common types of lumbar support pillows that offer adequate support to the lumbar region.
1. Lumbar rolls
A lumbar roll is generally rectangular or oval. It is designed to offer support exclusively to the lumbar region and is, therefore, smaller than conventional pillows.
2. Contoured lumbar support pillows
Contoured lumbar support pillows extend up to the upper back and are generally thinner at the top and thicker at the bottom to contour the natural curve of your spine. This means that the pillow also provides some amount of support to the upper and mid-back area while supporting the lumbar region.
3. Travel lumbar support pillows
Travel lumbar support pillows are designed to be compact, lightweight, and smaller in size so that they’re easy to carry and fit comfortably in the airplane seats.
11 Best Lumbar Support Pillows
Everlasting Comfort’s lumbar support pillow is crafted using pure heat-responsive memory foam, which offers adequate support to your lumbar region while keeping your back cool. With this lumbar pillow, you can maintain a good posture as you work or sit on the couch to watch a movie. It features two extendable straps that keep the pillow in place even as you move, and the pillow is easy to clean and maintain as it is machine-washable.
- Adjusts to the contour of the back
- Made with certified safe materials
- Fits multiple chairs
- Features a breathable and hypoallergenic mesh cover
- Some may find the cushion a tad thick and firm
The chiropractor-recommended lumbar support pillow from Lovehome has been ergonomically designed to alleviate lower back pain, relieve muscle tension, and promote blood circulation in the back region. The pillow is made of premium high-density memory foam and features an anti-sweat, absorbent, and antibacterial mesh cover. Further, it comes with an extension strap and is easy to carry when traveling. The versatile pillow can be placed in your chair, car seat, or sofa.
- Promotes spinal alignment
- Helps with post-surgery recovery
- Quality buckle and zipper
- Features a washable cover
- Straps may not be durable
Qutool’s back support pillow helps alleviate backaches resulting from prolonged sitting. Whether you’re into gaming, have a desk job, or drive for long hours, this pillow with molded memory foam can help you maintain the right posture. It retains its firmness while being comfortable and soft. You can use this pillow even during summers as its breathable mesh cover allows good air circulation and wicks moisture or sweat.
- Does not flatten
- Features two adjustable straps
- Includes a hypoallergenic 3D mesh cover
- Invisible zipper
- May not be compatible with chairs with a back arch
The orthopedic lower back support pillow from ComfiLife has been crafted to help relieve backaches and keep you comfortable when you’re at your desk for long hours. It also improves posture, thus preventing chances of developing lower back pain in the long run. This pillow measures 15 x 12.5 x 4.7 inches and weighs 1.25 pounds, making it a suitable option when traveling.
- Made of high-density memory foam
- Removable and washable 3D mesh cover
- Extension straps to fit large chairs
- Ergonomic design to contour the natural curve of the spine
- Some may find the pillow a tad bulky
The lumbar support pillow has been thoughtfully designed to release waist pressure and keep your back well-rested and comfortable. The memory foam and bamboo charcoal fiber used in the construction of this pillow help keep you cool and dry, and therefore, you can use this lumbar pillow throughout the year. Further, it offers adequate elasticity and firmness and contours the natural curves of your back. Besides, the pillow has a non-slip design and comes with adjustable straps
- Ergonomic S-curve design
- Comes with a hypoallergenic cover
- Allows good air circulation
- Does not go flat
- Can be used by pregnant women
- May be slightly stiff
Add the ergonomically designed Relax Support lumbar support pillow to your office chair, car seat, or couch to support your lumbar and alleviate back pain. The memory foam of this pillow stays firm and rigid in cooler temperatures and becomes flexible in warmer temperatures. Moreover, it gives your back the needed support on any chair and allows good air circulation. You can remove the cotton cover of this pillow and wash it in a machine to ensure you’re always seated against a clean and hygienic pillow.
- Unique convex shape
- Portable and lightweight
- Sweat-resistant and removable cotton cover
- Available in multiple colors
- Straps may not keep the pillow intact
Become a proud owner of this ergonomically designed lumbar support pillow that reduces spine pressure. Made of premium memory foam, the pillow never flattens out and alleviates sciatic nerve pain and pain associated with spondylosis. Its machine-washable outer cover and zipper design make it easy to maintain. Moreover, the versatile pillow can also be used by pregnant women to support their back when sitting on the couch or bed.
- Helps with post-surgery recovery
- Orthopedic design
- Breathable 3D mesh cover
- Comes with adjustable straps
- Ensures proper spinal alignment
- May not be suitable for shorter chairs
The uniquely shaped lumbar roll support pillow by Tusscle offers good support to your lower back, improves your posture, and relaxes your back. Its highly resilient foam and non-slip base offer a good grip without the pillow sliding or moving. It is one of the best lumbar pillows as it is versatile enough to be used as a knee, ankle, and neck support pillow. Besides, the pillow features adjustable straps with a maximum stretch circumference of 50 inches, making it compatible with almost all types of chairs.
- Targets the lower back region for pain relief
- Features a non-slip D section
- Removable cover with a zipper
- Ventilation mesh on both sides
- Some may find the pillow a bit firm
Cushion Lab’s sleek and lightweight lumbar office chair support pillow is contoured to provide optimal support to the upper-mid back, mid-back, and lower back. The pillow is made of patented Hyperfoam that does not flatten and comes with a hypoallergenic, friction-free cover. You can use the pillow on your bed, couch, office chair, or even your car seat to make your rides comfortable and less excruciating for your back.
- Designed by ergonomic specialists
- Features extra-dense and rebounding foam
- Breathable and elastic cover
- Comes with adjustable elastic straps
- May be slightly big for airplane seats
The lumbar support pillow by Antetoko contours the natural curves of your spine, and its double-sided thickening design embraces the side waist muscles to relieve lower back pain. Further, the lower part of the pillow offers coccygeal support for pressure release. Its adjustable straps and buckle allow you to strap the pillow to chairs of different sizes. The pillow is made of high-density and high-resilience foam and features a removable and washable 3D mesh cover with full hemming sewing and a hidden zipper design.
- Adjustable buckle and straps
- Skin-friendly, breathable material
- Features a multifunctional side pocket
- Comes with a dust-proof inner cover
- Some may find it bulky for traveling
The Sparthos lumbar support pillow helps lower the chances of chronic back pain in the long run by offering adequate back support and improving your posture. It has an anti-slip silicone dot pattern, which gives your back a good grip when you’re seated, and comes with ventilated chambers for good airflow. Although the pillow is firm enough, its unique memory foam construction allows optimal flexibility to ease the pressure on your back.
- Rugged design for added support
- Cooling gel-infused memory foam
- Hypoallergenic, machine-washable pillow cover
- Molds to the shape of your spine
- Straps may not be sturdy
How To Choose The Right Lumbar Support Pillow?
Keep the following factors in mind when opting for the right lumbar support pillow.
- Size: Make sure you consider the size of the pillow. It should be perfectly sized to offer good support and not be too small or too large for your chair.
- Adjustable straps: A pillow with adjustable straps makes it easier to keep it in place, thus preventing it from slipping. Furthermore, it can be positioned to support your lower back as per your needs.
- Breathable material: A pillow made of breathable memory foam allows good air circulation, which means the pillow will help you stay cool and can be used throughout the year.
- Removable cover: Removable covers are always a preferred option as they protect the pillow from collecting dust or getting dirty and can be washed. You can look for additional features such as moisture-wicking properties and hypoallergenic design for added comfort.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah is an experienced writer who covers a range of household products that make the lives of his readers more comfortable. His research process involves going through the reviews and ratings of products on trusted websites. In this article, he has curated a list of the best lumbar support pillows that are made of quality materials and ergonomically designed. Wedetso has also added a buying guide to let you make an informed buying decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What’s the best way to sit, and how can a lumbar support pillow help?
Keep your back straight and your shoulders in alignment with your back. Additionally, the buttocks should touch the back of the chair. A lumbar support pillow helps you maintain this posture as it contours the spinal alignment.
- Why do I need a lumbar support pillow?
A lumbar support pillow offers good support to your back when you sit for long hours when driving, working, or gaming. The pressure exerted on the lumbar region is responsible for chronic lower backaches. These pillows are designed to release tension from the lumbar region and help you maintain the right posture.
Lower back pain is a common problem, but you can lower the chances of developing the condition by using the best lumbar support pillow. When buying a lumbar pillow, consider the shape so that it contours the natural alignment of your spine, the size so that it can be used on the chair of your choice, and the cover so that it is easy to maintain. Furthermore, opt for pillows made of premium memory foam as they ensure firmness while offering optimal flexibility.
- Best Sit Up Pillows To Buy
- Best Knee Pillows For Back And Side Sleepers
- Best Seat Cushions For Sciatica Pain Relief
- Best Reading Pillows For Your Space