Back in our childhood, a magnet was a magic piece that attracted objects on its own. Times might have changed, but children’s love for magnets remains.
To keep the element of ‘awe’ in their childhood, getting your child a magnetic toy can be a great idea. Magnetic toys come in all shapes and sizes, with some being educational as well as entertaining. Here, MomJunction brings you the best magnetic toys available in the market, along with their pros and cons.
20 Best Magnetic Toys
A simple yet sophisticated magnetic toy from Magformers, this is a 30-piece intelligent construction set. It includes 18 square-shaped blocks and 12 triangle-shaped tiles in assorted rainbow colors. Recommended for ages three and above, the set is BPA-free.
- The blocks are made with high-quality ABS plastic.
- Neodymium rare-earth magnets are used to provide maximum connectivity.
- Compatible with all other Magformers’ magnetic block sets and accessories.
- Easy to connect and store magnetic tiles by simply stacking them.
- Combine, roll-up and pull-up techniques can be used to build various structures.
- Limited shapes.
- Fewer tiles.
- Possible to create just a few structures.
Suitable for preschool games and group activities, the Playmags Super Set is one of the best tools to improve your child’s creativity. The 100-piece set includes magnetic blocks of eight different shapes, including two windows, five windows clickins, and 13 clickin letters. From small cars to big castles, your kid can build anything with these sturdy magnetic blocks.
- Strong magnets to construct sturdy structures.
- Vibrant colors of the tiles appeal to both boys and girls.
- The letters easily fit into the windows to provide learning opportunities.
- Helps develop engineering, basic geometry, and architecture skills.
- Handling and arranging small things help in learning precision and developing fine motor skills.
- Comes with a one-year manufacturer warranty.
- The edges of the tiles might be a little sharp.
- The magnets might snap suddenly, grabbing the skin or fingers.
- The magnets might fall from the tiles.
- A little expensive.
Enhance your child’s creativity with this magnetic building set that can be used to make a variety of structures, including houses, vehicles, animals, and amusement parks. The set includes 44 small squares, four large squares, 24 small triangles, ten tall triangles, 16 medium triangles, four windows, two car bases, and two arches.
- The magnetic building tiles are easy to construct, remove, and store.
- Made with superior quality ABS plastic, which is non-toxic and odor-free.
- The edges of the tiles are smoothened out to prevent injuries.
- Helps in learning various geometrical shapes, colors, magnetic polarities, and architectural designs.
- Also helps in building children’s imagination, creativity, problem-solving, and motor skills.
- The tiles are a little weak on the magnetic side.
- A little expensive.
Recommended for children aged three years and above, the Magnetic Blocks set is from Limmys’ Travel Series of construction toys for boys and girls. The 74-piece magnetic block set can be used to form various 2D and 3D structures, including vehicles, animals, houses, cubes, etc.
- The blocks are made with high-quality, non-toxic, recyclable ABS plastic.
- The blocks are light in weight, have smooth edges for easy and safe handling.
- Neodymium rare earth magnets are used to ensure strong connectivity between the blocks.
- Helps improve STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) skills in the kids.
- Keeps the children busy while improving their puzzle-solving skills, creativity, and imagination.
- The magnetic blocks are compatible with all other smaller size magnetic blocks.
- Not all 74 pieces are magnetic.
- The blocks are pretty smaller than they appear in the image.
- Quality may not be up to the mark.
Let your kid learn the letters and their associated words in a fun way with the phonics magnetic set. The set includes an apple-shaped magnetic board, which contains a letter slot and a three-level adjuster, 26 letters with magnetic backs, and three photo frames. Push the letter into the slot to listen to their pronunciations, words, and phonics.
- Sticks easily to the fridge or any magnetic surface, making it convenient to play.
- Customizable photo frames to insert your family pictures.
- Three different levels to accommodate kids of different age groups.
- Suitable for ages two to four years.
- Replacement letters are not available from the same brand.
- Magnets might be a little weak.
The wooden magnetic board from Lewo is a double-sided artboard with both white and black writing surfaces. The whiteboard is magnetic and is used to solve puzzles and write with the eraser pen. The black chalkboard is non-magnetic and is used to write or draw with chalk. Animal-themed wooden pieces with magnetic backing are also included.
- The board can be removed from the box or can be made to stand in the box.
- Kids can imitate their teachers or can pretend to be one.
- The blackboard can be erased and reused.
- Contains 100 pieces of magnetic shapes that help create beautiful patterns.
- Helps improve creativity, imagination, and hand-eye coordination.
- The size of the board might be small.
- The magnetic pieces might be tiny, giving a hard time for kids to make shapes.
The set comprises a wooden magnetic board, 120 magnetic pieces, and six dual-sided pattern cards. Ask your kid to place a pattern card on the magnetic board and fill in the slots with the magnetic pieces that are in different geometric shapes and colors. The game helps them to learn shapes, match things, and, more importantly, spend time in a creative way.
- Contains easy-to-grasp magnetic pieces.
- Comes with an easy to carry acrylic bag for storage and traveling purpose.
- Can also be used to create mosaic pictures and patterns.
- Made with good-quality material.
- The stickers on the geometric pieces might peel-off.
- Magnets might be a little weak.
- Contains small pieces, hence not recommended for play around younger kids.
Let your kid pretend to be a mommy bird with this interesting magnetic feeding toy. The game features a tree trunk with colorful caterpillars hidden in it and a hungry baby bird on the top. Using the mommy bird head, the insects need to be picked and fed to the baby bird. Doesn’t it sound interesting?
- Both the bird’s head and insect heads feature magnets to enable easy picking.
- Eight insects are provided in four different color shades.
- All the accessories in the kit are made with non-toxic, eco-friendly material.
- Rounded edges and smooth painted finish to provide safety to kids.
- Kids can learn colors and counting while developing concentration.
- They can also improve fine motor skills, patience, and problem-solving skills.
- The worms might get stuck in the tree trunk.
- Magnets are not so effective.
For kids who love robots, the Gifts2U Magnetic Robots set of 35 pieces could be a great pick. The toddlers can start playing the “Five Planet Guards Union” game by building five magnetic robots. Named Mars, Mercury, Saturn, Jupiter, and Venus, the stacking toys feature durable magnets that hold them in shape.
- Each robot features a head, arms, trunk, and wheels.
- The head can be rotated 360° while the arms are also rotatable.
- The middle part is magnetically attached to other parts and can be turned in any direction.
- Made with ABS plastic and is non-toxic and durable.
- Round edges to all individual parts.
- Helps develop creativity, imagination, problem-solving, and architectural skills.
- Comes with a plastic box for storage.
- Magnets might not be very strong.
- The individual pieces might get opened, revealing the magnets.
The 160-piece magnetic sticks set comprises 120 magnetic sticks and 40 steel balls that would help your children construct structures and figures of their choice. The sticks are made in different colors to make the playtime colorful and playful. Designed to help improve STEM skills, the 3D building blocks set is both educational and recreational.
- The sticks and balls make it easy to construct structures of any size.
- It helps develop creativity, hand-eye coordination, and imagination in kids.
- Made with safe material that is eco-friendly, odorless, non-toxic, BPA-free, and no chemicals.
- Designed with rounded edges to encourage safe play.
- Steel balls have no magnetism.
- Magnetic strength might be weak.
- Difficult to construct tall structures.
- Not recommended in households with younger kids below three years of age because of choking hazard.
Is your kid having a tough time practicing writing? Don’t worry. This Magnapad from Chuchik Toys is at your rescue. With a magnetic board of letters and easy-to-follow instructions, the drawing board makes writing practice fun for your toddlers.
- Each letter on the board has magnetic beads that appear with the touch of the magnet pen.
- Kids can easily follow the directions on the letters and learn to write them.
- The magnetic beads disappear with a swipe of the hand.
- Easy-to-carry board that’s sized for convenience.
- Helps develop fine motor skills.
- Made with durable, child-proof plastic.
- A bit difficult to trace the letters as the magnets might get firm at some points.
- Some magnet beads might come off.
Let your kid have their own mini castle or amusement park with this Amy & Benton building blocks set. The 132-piece magnetic toy set comprises 74 magnetic blocks of different sizes and shapes and 58 other fun accessories. It also comes with an instructional manual with ideas and two sticker sheets of alphabet and numbers. Both 2D and 3D structures of cars, houses, animals, etc., can be made.
- The magnetic blocks are made with high-quality, dust-free, non-toxic ABS plastic.
- Designed with soft edges to prevent accidental cuts.
- Strong magnets are used to facilitate the making of large structures.
- Different shapes to create various structures.
- Accessories to teach children numbers, letters, and simple math.
- A storage bag is provided for easy storage and travel.
- Helps in developing hand-eye coordination, creativity, and STEM skills in toddlers.
- Small and fewer pieces to construct large castles.
- Magnets might not be strong.
The 36-piece game set features a wooden board, 26 magnet-eyed fishes, two fishing rods, and a magnetic doll. One side of the board has a flat surface on which you can arrange the fishes with different letters and let your kid catch them with the fishing rod. Another side has one big opening, and the other has small holes. Drop the fish through the large opening and ask your kid to catch it using the magnetic doll.
- All the pieces in the game are made with solid wood.
- The game helps improve hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills.
- Easy to store and carry.
- Can be used to teach letters and words.
- Fishes are small in size.
- Not recommended for households with younger children.
The magnetic banker edition would be a great addition to any of your magnetic building blocks set. The set has four dolls of different professions, including an engineer, doctor, mechanic, and banker. Every doll has magnetic feet to arrange them easily on any magnetic building blocks structure.
- Made with non-toxic, high-quality material that meets ASTM standards of quality.
- Hard and durable plastic is used for long life.
- Compatible with all popular magnetic block sets.
- The toys promote imagination, sharing, and STEM skills.
- Ultra-strong magnets are used so that they can stick to all sorts of magnetic toy sets.
- It can be stuck on refrigerators and chalkboards.
- It cannot be used as a standalone toy.
Let your creations move and spin with the Magformers Magnets in Motion Gear Set. This 61-piece set contains seven geometric-shaped magnetic blocks and 23 gear/gadget accessories. It also includes large rectangles, sectors, and arches to widen your kid’s imagination.
- Helps add movement to any building block.
- Includes Neodymium rare-earth magnets for great connectivity between the blocks.
- Made with high-quality ABS plastic to meet ASTM quality standards.
- Compatible with all Magformer magnetic blocks.
- Does not come with an instruction manual.
- Not a kit to begin with.
The BMAG Magnet Building Stick Set features magnetic balls and bars which are easy to hold and manage. It also includes metal balls, short magnetic bars, and long magnetic bars.
Recommended for kids above three years of age, the magnetic toy keeps them engaged while helping them improve their STEM skills.
- The bars are made with high-quality ABS plastic and feature natural permanent magnets.
- The magnetic bars are available in six warm and cool colors.
- Warm colors represent the north poles and the cool colors for south poles.
- Kids can learn about magnetic polarities and colors easily.
- Can be used to create 2D, 3D structures, letters in the English alphabet, numbers, etc.
- Available in two variants – 38 pieces and 46 pieces.
- More pieces are required for large structures.
Teach your kids the English alphabet in a fun way with this magnetic letter kit. The 244-piece set includes lower and upper case letters, numbers, symbols, a double-sided magnetic board, pens, eraser, and alphabet cards. It comes in a durable box with separators and labels making it easy for your kids to stack and store.
- Helps identify vowels and consonants with color-coding.
- Preschoolers can learn numbers, letters, and sentences.
- Made with non-toxic, eco-friendly Eva foam.
- The magnet is fully covered with foam.
- Improves motor skills.
- Recommended for three to 12-year-old children.
- The magnetic board is small.
Help your kid develop social skills, teamwork, and architectural skills with the Pickwoo DIY Magnetic Car Set. Designed to develop STEM skills, the magnetic toy is intended to build up your kid’s social abilities from an early age.
- The cars can be assembled by magnetic splicing.
- Safe and convenient operation with magnetic adsorption that prevents injuries.
- The simulation design makes it more realistic.
- Provides a greater learning experience.
- A bonus accessory is provided to attach two cars, making them multi-functional.
- Made with high-quality, eco-friendly ABS material.
- Available in two variants – P311 excavator + tipper and P312 ladder + lifter.
- Only trucks can be made with the set.
19. Flanney Magnetic Doodle Pad
The doodle pad features a large drawing surface, which could display four different colors, four stampers, and one magnetic pen. Your kids can draw and write on the pad and erase it easily by just sliding the heart-shaped button at the bottom.
- Easy to use and carry.
- Can be placed in the lap or on a table.
- Made with good quality ABS plastic to meet child safety standards.
- No more messy walls and furniture.
- Helps in cultivating a drawing hobby in children.
- A 60-day money-back guarantee offered by the company.
- The erasing feature might not be that smooth.
Let your toddler build a racetrack on his own with this magnetic tile car track game set. With a total of 212 pieces, the kit includes colorful racing track magnetic pieces, street signs, pathways, light-up cars, and others. The set makes a perfect car track and allows racing with other players.
- Made with non-toxic plastic.
- Helps develop problem-solving skills, motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and creative imagination.
- More pieces can be added to build large structures.
- Some magnets might be weak.
- Some of the pieces might be fragile.
Benefits of Magnetic Toys
Magnetic construction toys and other interesting game sets are a fun way to introduce your kids to a new learning opportunity. Listed below are a few benefits of including them in their playtime.
- Helps kids understand magnetic polarities and principles.
- Constructing 2D and 3D structures improves their visualization.
- Helps in learning shapes, colors, objects, etc., in a fun way.
- Improves their motor skills.
- Helps in improving concentration.
- Sorting and stacking objects can help develop organization skills.
- The most popular and sought-after STEM skills can be learned with the help of the magnetic toys.
- Keeps them busy in an educational way.
Safety Tips To Follow While Playing With Magnetic Toys
Most of the magnetic toys have multiple pieces in different shapes and sizes. Hence, it’s imperative to keep an eye on, as well as follow some precautions, while your kid is playing with a magnetic game set.
- Make sure your kid falls in the recommended age group of the toy. To be on a safer side, buy the magnetic toys only when your children are fully aware of how to use them.
- If you have smaller babies at home, don’t bring the sets that contain tiny pieces to home, even when you’re buying them for your older children.
- Strictly tell your kids not to chew or swallow any of the pieces and explain to them the associated dangers.
- Don’t buy the games that contain tiny magnet balls and cubes.
- Look out for sharp edges and harsh surfaces and try to discard them.
- If any of the pieces accidentally break, ask your kid to inform you immediately. Clean the area using a vacuum cleaner so that even the minute pieces are picked up.
How To Choose The Right Magnetic Toy For Your Toddler?
While most of us go by the reviews and ratings of magnetic toys and games, it’s also important to look for some other factors while buying for kids.
- Age of your child/children: Even though the recommended age of most magnetic toys is three years and above, it’s important for the parents to decide whether a particular toy is suitable for their children. Since not all children are similar, you need to choose the toy based on your kid’s understanding capability.
- Material used: The toy and every piece in it must be made of high-quality material that meets children’s safety standards. Look for the details on the product to find what it’s made of.
- Safety standards: Sharp edges, loose or firm magnets, harsh surfaces, weak magnets, etc., are some of the things that could cause potential injury while playing. Hence, make sure the toys are safe and secure.
- Preference: By this age, your child might have preferences or inclinations towards particular toys. Hence, choosing a toy set that matches their taste is what makes them more excited.
- Level of difficulty: Even after choosing an age-appropriate game, depending on your kid’s problem-solving ability, the level of difficulty of the game varies. Buying an exotic game set, which your kid finds difficult to play with, is a mere waste of money.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What toys contain magnets?
Magnets are present in the games that include building structures, picture puzzles, learning games, and so forth. By looking at the product description, you would know whether or not the toy contains magnets.
2. Can magnets damage the brain?
The magnets used in the kid’s toys are not too strong to have any adverse effect. They are not likely to have any effect on the brain as well. In any case, check the quality and the reputation of the manufacturer to make sure the toys are safe for your child.
3. Are magnets bad for the heart?
While some magnets might interfere with heart implanted devices such as pacemakers, they do not usually cause any harm.
When chosen rightly, magnetic toys and game sets might become an exciting playtime activity for your kids. However, follow the safety instructions and do keep things listed above in mind to make them safe toys for your children.