Do you feel that martial arts training may make your child turn violent and aggressive? Worry no more! If you have a little Bruce Lee fan at home who wants to try some martial arts, consider reading our post below to know the benefits. Teach him how martial arts training can aid your kid’s psychological, physical as well as behavioral development.
Read here the benefits of martial arts for kids and collection of some martial arts games that will keep them entertained while they practice.
What Are Martial Arts?
Martial Arts are a combination of fighting techniques, mental discipline, and physical exercises. These self-defence techniques help in the holistic development of an individual as it involves the coordination of the mind and the body. Kids gain both physical fitness and mental strength by learning Martial Arts.
[ Read: Ways To Motivate Your Child In Sports ]
Benefits Of Martial Arts For Kids:
So, all the parents out there, check the benefits of martial arts for children here:
1. Helps In Self-Defence:
It is one of the basic and obvious reasons why parents encourage their wards to undergo training of this sort. Self-defence classes help the kids in protecting themselves against any unanticipated danger. These days due to increasing crime, stepping out of the house is a daredevil task in itself. Thus, it is all the more important to be well versed in self- defense techniques.
2. Boosts Physical Fitness:
Physical fitness is another benefit that this training offers. Many kids learn this art in order to remain physically fit. Such activities involve a great amount of physical exertion, and that helps in toning and strengthening the muscles of growing kids. If your kid consumes a balanced diet and practices martial arts, he will gain height, fitness, and confidence.
3. Aids Confidence Building:
Your kid can learn any form of martial art like Karate, Taekwondo, etc. to boost his fitness and confidence. Martial arts will also teach your child to become more self-reliant.
[ Read: Ways To Boost Your Kid’s Confidence ]
4. Inculcates Discipline:
Without a disciplined approach, your child can learn nothing. Martial arts training demands disciplining one’s mind and body. If your kid undergoes training in martial arts, it will also help improve his performance in both academics and extra-curricular activities.
5. Nurtures Social Skills:
Since martial arts require working in a team or dealing with other individuals, therefore, it helps your child develop his social skills. Kids learn to cooperate and understand team behavior. It will help the kid in the long run as he will be able to interact easily with strangers.
6. Develops Balance And Correct Posture:
Balancing and maintaining a correct stance are extremely important while performing any stunt, or else it can lead to severe injuries, muscle cramps, etc. Teaching proper balancing is essential for kids between six and eight years as their muscles and bones are still developing and fragile. Trainers should not teach difficult stunts to kids who are at this delicate stage. Instead, they should teach them basic martial art moves only.
7. Helps Improve Focus And Concentration:
Practicing the martial arts moves requires a great degree of focus and attention. It helps increase your kid’s concentration span. So, all you mummies out there, if you want your kids to spend more time with their books and increase their concentration then take them to a martial arts school in your neighborhood.
[ Read: Tips To Improve Concentration In Kids ]
8. Resolves Conflicts:
Since kids from different backgrounds come to learn under one roof during such training programs, thus there are great chances of difference of opinions and conflicts. However, the ambiance of such schools is amiable, and kids learn compassion and sharing. So, it is very likely that your kid will also learn how to resolve conflicts and work with others harmoniously.
9. Improves Coordination:
Martial arts demand great hand-eye coordination. It also increases the harmony between the body and mind.
10. Teaches Respect:
Training of such kind requires great devotion towards your master. It teaches kids to respect the authority. As they bow in front of their teacher, they develop humility. They also learn to be polite and humble during such sessions.
11. Imparts Anti-Bullying Education:
Many institutes that offer Martial arts training also hold anti-bullying workshops for kids. Such sessions increase the awareness of kids about the physical, psychological and emotional trauma due to bullying. Apart from this, such workshops also teach kids how to tackle bullies.
12. Improves Breathing:
Since Kids Martial arts require physical exertion, therefore, it is highly important to practice proper breathing techniques while performing any move. It will help improve your kid’s respiratory health.
[ Read: Fun Outdoor Activities For Kids ]
10 Best Martial Arts For Kids:
Here are ten games that revolve around the theme of martial arts and that will be a hit with kids:
1. Sensei Says:
- Sensei Says is like the martial arts version of the game Simon Says.
- You will play the role of Sensei and call out an instruction that your kids will have to perform.
- The catch is that your kids have to perform the instructions only when you say ‘Sensei Says’ and not if you simply call out the instructions.
- A kid who performs it when you have not said Sensei Says will be out. If the kid fails to perform the instruction after hearing Sensei Says, then they will be out.
- The kid who stays till the end will win. This is a fun martial arts game for kids and it is easy to learn.
[ Read: Pilates For Kids ]
2. Wild And Crazy Blocker:
- You will have to hold two padded foam blockers and try to hit your kid.
- You can make the strikes go from left and right and up and below to keep your kid on their toes.
- Also try to aim the hits at different body parts, such as head, hands, legs, chest and so on.
- Your kid will have to use various blocking skills from martial arts to block out your blows.
3. Danger Alley:
- Create four fight stations for your kid through different areas in the house or garden.
- Your kid will have to overcome different obstacles at each fight station before moving on to the next one, finally reaching the final one.
- You can designate various fight styles for each of the fight stations. Once your kid reaches the final fight station and wins the fight, they will be the winner.
[ Read: Strength Exercises For Kids ]
4. The Crab Game:
- Ask all the kids to walk like crabs with their palms and feet touching the ground but their hips in the air.
- The kids have to kick out the other kids’ legs and arms by trying to trip them.
- Once a kid’s hip or side touches the floor they will be out.
- The kid who remains till the end will be the winner.
5. The Bulldog Game:
- All the kids have to hunch on the ground with their hips facing towards the ceiling and only the feet and palm touching the ground.
- The kids have to all try to scramble on the floor and avoid getting tripped by the other kids.
- The kids whose hip or sides touch the floor will be out of the game.
- The kid who stays till the end without the hip or sides touching the ground will be the winner.
6. Martial Arts Piñata:
- Get a piñata from the market and test it to see that it is not too hard or soft and will be alright when your kids hit it.
- Ask your kids to use their martial arts skills and kick, punch and chop it.
- The kid whose blow breaks open the piñata first will be the winner.
[ Read: Stretches For Kids]
7. Toss And Kick:
- Hand all kids a foam pool noodle each and ask them to stand in line at one end of the room.
- Each kid will have to come up to you and hand the noodle.
- Ask the kid to stand a little away from you and throw it back at them. The kid will have to kick it, catch it and run back to the end of the line.
8. Pin On The Samurai:
- Cut out the image of a martial arts instructor and paste it at a level where your kids will be able to reach it.
- Cut out black belts from papers for each kid.
- Blindfold the kids one by one and ask them to pin it on the instructor.
- The one who gets it closest will win.
9. Martial Art Chop:
- Make wood boards using craft foam and hold it in front of your kid.
- Ask them to do a chop stunt and try to break it. It can be one of the best martial arts games for children.
[ Read: Brain Gym Exercises For Kids]
- Grab your kid’s wrist and try to hold them to one position.
- Your kid will have to perform an escape maneuver and escape from your clutch.
- Try these martial arts games with your kid to help them practice and enjoy the sport even more.
Moms, have your kids started learning martial arts? What types of martial arts games have they played?
- Warm up Exercises And Games For Kids
- Benefits Of Exercises For Kids
- Benefits Of Aerobics For Kids
- Relaxation Techniques And Activities For Kids