Be honest; after a long and tiring day of running errands and getting exhausted physically and mentally, which one would you choose? A million dollars or a full body massage? We bet you chose the 2nd one. A massage is like a magic pill that melts away all the pain and stress and lifts our mood like nothing else can. Trust us; you would be doing yourself a huge favor by investing in a massage pad. It’s a type of flat cushion that you can use on a chair, in your car, on your sofa, or lay it flat to rest over it. It comes with massage nodes or vibration points that mimic the movement of a real massage to heal neck, back, and thigh pain.
If you wish to purchase a massage pad, let’s first learn about the different types of massage pads.
Types Of Massage Pads
There are 5 popular types of massage pads:
1. Vibration Massage Pads
Imagine a physiotherapist or a masseur massaging you with their palms or with their fingertips. It creates a vibrating sensation, doesn’t it? A vibrating massage pad offers the same type of massage that includes shaking movements to relieve pain by stimulating dopamine and serotonin production, which are also known as “feel-good” hormones.
2. Heated Massage Pads
Heat has been a common remedy to cure all sorts of muscle and joint pain for centuries. A heated massage pad relaxes your muscles, improves blood circulation, reduces muscle stiffness, and improves muscle flexibility.
3. Kneading Massage Pads
As the name suggests, it is similar to kneading dough until it becomes a soft and lumpy mush. With the use of unique massage nodes, this type of pad provides pain relief by grasping or compressing the tissues. It relaxes your body by stimulating muscle growth and improving blood circulation.
4. Shiatsu Massage Pads
Shiatsu is a form of traditional Japanese massage, which involves massaging a person by applying pressure with the fingers. The technique is popular for the circulation of the body’s energies. A masseur would use his fingers, and sometimes even his elbows and knees to perform this type of massage, but the massage pad achieves this through in-built rotating massage nodes.
5. Rolling Massage Pads
If you’ve ever received a rolling massage, you might have noticed that the masseur lifts and rolls the skin between his thumb and fingers. Rolling massage pads mimic that movement with the help of massage nodes. It moves up and down the length of your spine to ease pain and relax your muscles.
Now that we’ve looked at the 5 different types of massage pads, let’s help you get one that’s right for you. Check out the 11 best massage pads for chairs here.
11 Best Massage Pads For Chairs In 2021
A few minutes of massage therapy in this seat cushion will soothe your neck, shoulders, back, and thighs as it is equipped with 10 vibration motors. A combination of vibration massage and heat therapy, it helps in relieving stress and pain by improving blood circulation.
- It has built-in overheat protection and shuts off automatically after 30 minutes.
- It has 3 massage speeds and 4 massage programs.
- 4 zones that target different body parts that correspond to its designated buttons.
- On/Off button for heat.
- It is microprocessor controlled.
- Comes with a hand control unit
- Soft fabric and plush cushion
- 4 adjustable elastic straps
- Car and AC adapter are included
- Ideal for neck, back, shoulder, and thigh pain.
- Suitable for office chair, home use, or in the car seat.
- The vibration might be too noisy for some.
With a massage pad like this one at home or work, you will never have back problems, ever again. It comes with 3 massage zones, which specifically focus on your lower back, upper back, and your entire back. If the massager’s intensity is not to your liking, you can remove the control flap to choose a softer setting.
- The control flap is detachable.
- The massage nodes are height adjustable (3 mm)
- Offers concentrated massage on a specific area.
- It is a vibration seat massager.
- It comes with a corded hand controller.
- 3 levels of vibration intensity
- Integrated strapping system
- It also offers heat therapy.
- It is suitable for sofas, couches, recliners, and office chairs.
- Equipped with overheating protection thermostats.
- It may not be ideal for a car seat.
- The sitting area doesn’t heat up.
Experience a Shiatsu massage like never before with this incredible massage chair pad. It offers a real massage feeling as it uses 2D and 3D finger pressure along with rolling movements to relax stiff muscles. It features 4 rotational massaging nodes to provide a kneading action for your neck and shoulders.
- It provides both vibrating and heat functions for a quality massage.
- The nodes move in an inward to outward motion to create finger-like pressure.
- The width between 2 massage heads is adjustable.
- The spot function allows the massager to concentrate on a single area.
- Air massage on waist and hips with the help of 2 airbags.
- Ideal of home and office use
- Features optional infrared heat function
- Adjustable air compression on airbags
- 3 adjustable intensity settings
- Removable and washable neck cover
- Detachable back flap
- Home adapter included
- It can only be used for 15 minutes at a time.
- It may not be the ideal height for a tall person.
Although this massage cushion is sleek and compact, it offers a deep massage like no other. Ideal for a car seat, office chair, or a sofa, this pad is one of the best heated massage pads for chairs. It is equipped with 10 powerful vibration massage motors that concentrate on relieving pain in areas like the neck, shoulders, and lower back.
- Plush padding and fabric
- 50% extra padding on the sitting area
- Controller with easy-access buttons and LCD
- Storage pouch for the controller
- Includes both AC and DC adapters
- Features 5 massage modes
- 8 levels of intensity
- Handheld remote controller
- It offers a vibration massage.
- 10, 20, and 30-minute timers
- The straps securing the massage pad to the seat are poorly mounted.
Sturdy, durable, and reliable, this pad offers customizable massages. You can adjust the position of the massage rollers, or make it travel up and down by 5 inches for pain relief in a targeted area. It also features massage Shiatsu nodes along with an on/off heat function. You choose between 3 levels of vibration on the seat cushion.
- Comes with an overheat protection feature
- 15-minute sessions with auto-shutoff
- Premium-grade PU leather
- Elastic velcro-straps
- Offers heat therapy
- 4 kneading Shiatsu neck and back massage nodes each
- Rolling massage function
- Attached remote control with storage pouch
- The seat vibrates to target the thighs.
- To use it on a car seat, one would require an AC converter.
- Some may find the massage rollers too hard.
Reap the benefits of a full body massage from your home’s comfort with this incredibly powerful massage mat. It can be laid out on your bed, on the floor, or any other flat surface and is also flexible enough to sit on your sofa or recliner. It is equipped with 10 massage motors that provide instant relief to the whole body.
- 5 pre-programmed massage modes
- 4 massage zones are selective
- 3 levels of intensity
- 4 heating pads spread across the mat
- Flexible and foldable
- Made of 100% soft polyester
- Intelligent remote control
- Auto-shutoff after 30 minutes of use
- Overheating protection feature
- It may not sit properly on a standard chair, an office chair, or a car seat as it would on a sofa or recliner.
If you are looking for Shiatsu massage pads for chairs, you should take a look at this one. Although it is sleek and lightweight, it is designed with 3D rotating balls for a deep tissue massage. It provides a comfortable massage on the waist and back with Shiatsu massage nodes.
- Elastic straps with Velcro
- Made with high-quality PU leather
- Long massage path for the roller balls
- Heat therapy
- Vibrating seat
- Mimics a real massage
- Foldable massage pad
- Ideal for home, office, or car seat
- Automatic shut down
- User-oriented controller
- Car and Power AC adapter included
- Some may find the intensity of the rotating balls too strong.
Is there anything as relaxing and rejuvenating as a full-body massage? Perhaps, there isn’t, and investing in a heated massage mat like this releases all the stiffness and soreness in one go. It’s easily foldable to stow away and is ideal for flat surfaces or sofas. It offers pain relief throughout the body, targeting areas like the neck, upper back, mid-back, lumbar, and the thighs.
- 4 massaging zone
- 10 massaging motors
- Extra-long power cord
- 5 pre-programmed massage nodes
- 3 levels of intensity for an intense massage
- Vibration massage therapy
- Flexible and foldable
- Overheating protection feature
- Easy-to-use handheld controller
- Accessible side-pouch for the controller
- Made of soft polyester material
- It is not ideal for a car seat.
- Some may feel that the vibrations aren’t too strong.
If you are searching for lightweight and practical back massage pads for chairs, why don’t you look at this one? It is equipped with 3 powerful vibrating motors that offer an intense yet comfortable massage. It releases minor muscle tension in the upper and lower back with soothing heat.
- A home adapter is included
- Heat massage therapy with a plush seat cushion
- Cushioned lumbar area
- 2 levels of vibration
- Convenient remote controller
- Elastic strap on the back
- Includes a detailed manual guide
- It is not dual voltage.
One of the best-selling massage pads for office chairs, this one has a long track for extra comfort to the neck and lumbar area. Ideal for use at office or home, it offers a 2-in-1 kneading Shiatsu style massage and gentle rolling for instant pain relief.
- Soothing heat therapy
- 2 back massage styles
- The seat vibrates
- 4 massage nodes
- 3 massage zones
- Comes with a programmed hand controller
- Offers spot massages
- Integrated chair straps
- It may not be suitable for tall people.
- Some may find it bulky.
Whether you are looking for a quick way to ease the pain on your neck, shoulder, back, waist, or hip, one of the best ways to go about this is by investing in massage and heating pads for chairs. This one features a unique massaging pillow that fits the cervical vertebrae perfectly. It is also vertically adjustable to fit different back heights.
- 4 massage heads
- 8 deep-kneading massage nodes
- Customizable massage
- Heat and vibration therapy
- 15-minute default timer
- Portable and foldable
- 3 back massage zones
- 3D Shiatsu massage
- Clockwise and anticlockwise rolling
- 3 levels of intensity
- Integrated strapping system
- It is not suitable for a car seat.
- There should not be direct skin contact with this massage pad.
If you are keen on buying a massage pad for yourself, these pointers will come in handy.
How To Choose The Best Massage Pads For Chairs
Before buying a massage pad for chairs, it is important to understand a few features:
Shape And Size
As you are primarily buying a massage pad for a chair, ensure that it is designed to fit your specific chair’s shape. Look for something lightweight and foldable or collapsible to stow away easily. However, if you are using it on a large sofa or recliner, you can opt for a large pad.
Vibration And Heat Settings
Most standard massage pads are equipped with heat and vibrating settings, which works towards relieving pain throughout your back and thighs. Look for one that offers different levels of heat and different intensities of vibration. It is also wise to choose one that comes with independent switches to turn off the heat or vibration setting depending on your preference of massage styles.
Timer And Auto-Shut Off
Most health professionals will advise you not to use a massage pad for more than 30 minutes. That is why it is a good idea to invest in a pad that comes with a timer or an auto-shutoff function.
Shiatsu Massage Function
As mentioned above, a Shiatsu massage pad massages your body with the help of built-in rotating massage nodes and offers the feeling of a real massage. Most people choose a Shiatsu pad as they feel like the massaging capabilities of this type of pad is more intense. However, if you are looking for a less intense massage, you can always choose a pad that offers vibration and heat therapy.
Not all massage pads are built for car seats. So, if you are looking for one to use in your car, ensure that it is perfectly safe for the car seat and includes a car adapter.
Benefits Of Massage Pads
- It relaxes and releases muscle tension.
- It is effective in relieving shoulder, back, and lumbar pain.
- It is portable and easy to use at home or office.
- Massage therapy can help arthritic patients.
- A massage can help lift a person’s mood by releasing endorphins.
- It can help in easing sciatica.
- It improves circulation.
Helpful Tips For Using A Massage Cushion
- Always keep the massage pad clean. Wipe it off with a dry cloth before and after use.
- Before you begin the massage, place the pad in a comfortable position, so that you don’t have to get up midway to adjust it.
- Do not use the massage pad for more than 20-30 minutes.
- As the massage pad may heat up, it is wise to keep a cotton cloth or blanket over it to avoid direct skin contact.
- If you have a medical condition that causes you chronic pain, consult your doctor before using a massage cushion.
- Store the massage pad away properly when not in use.
- Always keep the massage pad away from the reach of children.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does a massage pad work?
A massage pad is equipped with heat and vibration settings or massaging nodes to imitate the actions of a real massage to relieve pain and release tension in the muscles.
How long can you use a massage pad?
The ideal time of usage is 15 minutes but should not exceed 30 minutes in one sitting.
Can you drive while using a massage pad?
For safety reasons, it is not advisable to use the massage pad while driving. However, a person sitting in the passenger seat can use it.
Can you use a massage pad while you are pregnant?
Medical professionals believe that a pregnant woman should avoid using a massage pad, especially during the 1st trimester. However, one should consult their doctor for a better understanding.
Can you use a massage cushion with a pacemaker?
Although it is mostly considered safe, please consult your doctor for a definite answer to this question.
Can you sleep on a massaging cushion?
As mentioned above, you should only use the massage pad for 15 minutes, and sleeping on it for long periods may prove counterproductive.
In this post, we’ve gathered information about the 11 best massage pads for chairs in 2021 and everything you need to know before purchasing one. We hope that this information and these tips will come useful to you. Do let us know if you liked any of these massage pads, and if you have any questions, feel free to drop them.