Bringing your child into the world is a beautiful experience, but there are challenges that accompany it. Postpartum discharge can cause a lot of discomfort, and you need the best maternity pads after birth to manage the inconvenience to a certain extent. Following the delivery, you have to manage the discharge produced by the body for weeks on end. A thick mix of blood, mucus, and tissue is discharged by the uterus as it slowly restores itself to its normal size after childbirth. Read on as we have listed a few high-quality maternity pads to help new moms manage postpartum discharge.
10 Best Maternity Pads After Birth
With three-in-one protection, these ultimate incontinence pads take care of odor, comfort, and dryness. They are long and absorb instantly. The leak-block sides of the pads are designed especially for absorbing bladder leaks. These are soft on the skin and stay in place by preventing bunching.
- Provides upto 12 hours of protection
- Quick-dry core
- Long length
- May be a bit bulky
- May be a bit large for some
With in-built ice packs and first aid, these pads offer a 20-minute therapy window. With no freezing, they can absorb up to 260g of liquid beyond the therapy period. The top layer is super soft that ensures comfort in the perineal area. They are large enough to cover the entire perineal area, both front and back, and have an adhesive back for seamless application and removal. Watch this video to get a detailed review of the product.
- Provides full coverage
- Safe to use on c-section incision
- Individually wrapped
- Comfortable to use
- May warm up quickly
- May be a bit heavy
With adhesive strips to securely fit into a place, these pads have super soft top sheets to reduce skin irritation. They have been FSC-certified and accredited with the Nordic Ecolabel. The pads have been dermatologically tested and feature a breathable waterproof textile back sheet to protect the skin. They have an absorbent fluff core that contains absorbent polymers.
- Minimizes odor
- Anatomically shaped
- May be a bit thick
- May be slightly bigger than expected
Absorbent and clean, these pads with wings offer comfort, peace of mind, and relief after the delivery. Approved by gynecologists, the pads have been made from 100% natural and eco-friendly materials. Clean cotton is free from synthetic materials, dyes, perfumes, and chlorine. Designed with absorbent technology, these are pH-balanced and clinically tested. They have a blend of mint and lavender essential oils to help relieve discomfort and dryness. Here’s a video to help you know more about this product.
- Certified organic cotton cover
- Has ultra-absorbent pulp core
- Provides cooling sensation
- Supports irritated skin
- Wing placement may not be as expected
- May have a powerful smell of the ingredients
Offering unsurpassed absorbency, these feminine pads feature 100% certified organic cotton inside and out. These are gentle and soft against your skin. Also, the pads are ideal for heavier flow as well. Moreover, these are pH-balanced, and adequate for sensitive skin. They don’t contain chlorine bleach, parabens, latex, SAP, perfumes, artificial or plastic materials. This video takes you through this product’s details.
- Protective layer made of a biopolymer
- Hypoallergenic and breathable
- Anatomically designed
- Features protective wings
- Individually wrapped in a biodegradable pouch
- Free of wood pulp, perfumes, and dyes
- May be a bit thin
- May lack adhesion slightly
Providing long-lasting protection, these overnight pads help stop leaks. They are extra heavy and can offer up to ten hours of comfort and protection. These have been designed with a Leakguard Core; hence, ideal for overnight usage. The deep channels pull fluid from the edges to absorb within seconds. The pads also feature Flexi-wings to stay in place.
- Two-times larger back
- Soft cotton material
- Provides a clean and dry feel
- Stays in place firmly
- May not be as wide as expected
- May lack odor control
100% plastic-free, these maternity pads are compostable and biodegradable. They are fluffy and soft to ensure the utmost comfort and relief. They have an absorbent core; hence, you don’t have to worry about unwanted leakage. These pads are made from chlorine-free pulp, and they are snug and fit securely.
- Free of perfumes or dyes
- Crafted with GMO-free ingredients
- Made for sensitive skin
- Soft organic cotton cover
- May not be suitable for heavy flow
- May be slightly thick
Providing utmost protection, these three-in-one pads keep you safe from bladder leakage, menstrual leakage, and daily discharge. They protect you for up to 11 hours with the MaxSorb Technology. The Odor Guard Technology of the pads keeps your leaks discreet while preventing foul smells. They are made from natural and dye-free materials to stay gentle on your skin. Also, 100% breathable and stay cool for a longer time.
- Locks wetness quickly
- Designed with a poly layer to help heat escape
- Free from harsh chemicals
- Each pad is individually wrapped for easy carrying
- May be a bit thick for some
- May be small for some
Devoid of fragrance, these pads are ideal for overnight use. The material used in manufacturing is completely natural and chlorine-free; hence, safe for every skin type, including sensitive skin. These pads keep you away from irritating dyes, and their no-slip adhesives offer the utmost safety.
- Provides long-lasting leak protection
- Designed with a breathable layer to keep cool
- Hypoallergenic and cruelty-free
- May not be thin
- May be a bit small for some
Featuring a comfortable design, these pads are specifically for postpartum period flow. Their tails are adhesive-free and can be used effortlessly. These pads can easily absorb heavy flow and keep you relaxed for a longer time.
- Safe to use with a maternity belt
- Has a polymer core
- Provides good coverage
- Pads are individually wrapped
- May not stay in place at times
- May not be thick enough
How To Choose The Right Maternity Pads?
Consider these factors before buying a maternity pad.
- Types: Right from classic to winged, cloth, reusable, incontinence, and more, you will find an extensive range of maternity pads.
- Absorbency: Postpartum bleeding can be heavy. And therefore, you would need a pad with high absorbency.
- Fragrance-free: Fragrances can disrupt the pH balance of the vagina. You should choose fragrance-free pads because after birth, your body will be sensitive, and anything unnatural can irritate it.
- Material: Consider pads without any artificial or harmful materials. They should be chlorine-free and skin-friendly.
Kay Lakka, founder of Londontherapy and a doula and hypnobirthing teacher, says, “Finding the right maternity pad that meets your needs requires trial and error. Most people look for a combination of solutions to feel comfortable, while others stick to only one option. So, determine what suits your body the best and get the best maternity pads.”
Lakka further says, “It is also crucial to take care of your psychological health during this phase, and feeling confident will help you cope better with whatever life brings your way. And, choosing the right maternity pad can give you more confidence, knowing there is one less thing you need to worry about.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna is a seasoned content writer who is passionate about reviewing maternity and baby products to recommend the best ones to her readers. She has compiled this list of the best maternity pads after scouring countless websites and picking the products with the highest ratings and user reviews. In addition, she has mentioned the features of each product and included a handy buying guide to help you make the right decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use standard pads after giving birth?
Regular pads may not withstand heavy bleeding after delivery. So, stick to maternity pads designed for heavy bleeding. Avoid using tampons or menstrual cups soon after delivery.
2. How many pads do I need after giving birth?
You require more sanitary pads than usual as you need to change the pads every hour or two.
3. What are the best pads to wear after a C-section?
Pads that have good absorption should be used for at least the first two weeks.
4. What is the difference between maternity pads and regular pads?
Maternity pads are more absorbent than normal pads. Unlike regular pads, these pads are thick and can cover a large area. In addition, maternity pads are softer than regular pads and prevent itching.
5. How many maternity pads do I need in my hospital bag?
You may need two to three packs of ten maternity pads in your hospital bag. Some women need more, while others need less.
6. How often should I change my pad after giving birth?
You should change the pad every hour or two soon after giving birth. After a couple of days, the frequency of using the pads may reduce.
7. When should I start wearing maternity pads?
You can start wearing maternity pads soon after delivery.
Using a maternity pad post delivery can be comforting. It keeps you clean and dry and helps manage postpartum bleeding and bladder leaks. However, before purchasing one, you must consider the type of pad you’re comfortable using—it could be winged, reusable, or any other type that you feel would offer your comfort. Also, ensure it is free of fragrance, chlorine, and dyes, made of skin-friendly material, and has good absorbency as postpartum bleeding can be heavy.
Infographic: Tips On Making Maternity Pads More Effective
Maternity pads are essential birth care products, as women can bleed for almost 12 weeks after giving birth. A soft maternity pad can help keep things tidy without irritating the bruised and swollen vaginal area. Here’s an infographic with tips to make maternity pads more comfortable.
- Davood Hekmatpou et al.; (2019); The Effect of Aloe Vera Clinical Trials on Prevention and Healing of Skin Wound: A Systematic Review.
- Best Car Air Purifiers
- Best Light Roast Coffee
- Best Light Bulbs For Photography
- Best Bluetooth Speaker For Car