Women in today’s day and age have to juggle multiple roles. And once you realize you are going to be a mother, you have to stock up on all the essentials you need. So, here’s our list of the best maternity scrubs to help you on the journey through motherhood. Once the reality starts to sink in and you absorb more of the news, your priorities will start to shift. Then, finally comes a time where you will have to make changes for the new arrival in your life. You’ll have to adjust to the new addition to your family and all the responsibilities that come with having a baby. But before you get to hold your adorable bundle of joy in your arms, you should find well-suited maternity clothing.
Whatever your body type may be, your pregnancy will make your body go through various changes. And finding the right maternity outfits can be just half the battle. Good quality maternity scrubs will make room for your baby as it grows inside your tummy and provide just the right amount of support you need to get on with your day. You would want to wear something that keeps your growing belly warm so you can keep your little one cozy and secure. So, scroll down to see the available options to choose the right maternity scrubs for yourself.
9 Best Maternity Scrubs
1. Best With Pockets: Cherokee Professionals Maternity Scrubs Pants
This smart pair of professional-grade maternity work pants come in various colors. They are also available in your preferred choice of cuts such as straight cut, boot cut, or flairs. You can also make your choice between mid-rise, natural rise, and low rise. So you can choose the pants as per your liking and body comfort. They also contain easily accessible pockets, which help keep your smartphone or a tissue while you are on the move.
You can have a breezy workday wearing these pants as the fabric blend is made of cotton, polyester, and spandex, which is super snug and keeps your body well-supported. The expandable waistband provides ample room for belly growth during different stages of pregnancy, preventing the hassle of buying a new outfit every other month.
- Two-way stretch fabric
- Has a 31-inch inseam
- Retains color in the long run
- Holds shape even after multiple washes
- Available in multiple colors and sizes
- May attract lint
- May be long for some
"These scrub pants are roomy, stretch well, especially by the belly panel, and offer a decent fit. They are not the most stylish but are lightweight and breathable."
2. Best Machine-Washable: Cherokee Women’s Maternity Elastic Waist Scrubs Pant
This is another chic maternity wear option from the house of Cherokee and is designed for those who have a hectic schedule and want a super-functional workwear. The pull-on closure makes the clothing effortless to wear. The cargo pockets at the sides are easy to reach and deep enough to hold essential items.
The bottom flair with the side slit makes the scrub pants a very flattering piece of clothing. They pair well with all Cherokee scrub tops. Since the pants are machine-washable, you can pop them in the machine and wear your alternate color to work, paired with a matching top, and make a style statement too.
- Soft and comfortable to wear
- Reduces the need for sizing up
- Water-resistant fabric protects from splashes
- Stretch panel supports the baby belly well
- Available in multiple colors and sizes
- May not be very stretchable
- Some may not like the pressure from the elastic
"This maternity scrub effortlessly conforms to my changing body shape without compromising my comfort. Though it tends to shrink post-wash, it doesn't bother me as I got a larger size."
3. Best With Pull-On Closure: Med Couture Women’s Maternity V-Neck Scrub Top
Consider this maternity scrub top by Med Couture to keep yourself comfortable when working for prolonged hours. Made of 95% polyester and 5% spandex, this scrub top is vibrantly colored and moisture-wicking. Its simple pull-on closure eliminates the hassle that comes with buttons and zippers, making it easy to wear.
Featuring an adjustable elastic bungee on the sides, this top provides a custom fit during different stages of pregnancy. In addition, its side knit panels provide comfort and the freedom to move around. Its V-neck design, half-sleeve style, and professional appearance make this top functional, flattering, and stylish.
- Available in multiple colors and sizes
- Soft and breathable material
- Features two large functional pockets
- Has a logo reflector on the sleeve
- Drawstring may fray with use
- May be a bit larger than expected
"It's unbelievably stretchy and flexible, maintaining form even as my body changes. And if you are someone like me who doesn't like ironing clothes frequently, you're in luck."
4. Best Stretchable: Urbane Ultimate Women’s Maternity Scrub Pant
These jogger scrub pants come with a contemporary look and a practical design. Made of a fabric blend consisting of rayon, polyester, and spandex, the pants are soft and offer the perfect stretch and a flattering fit. It is also resistant to fading. The cargo pockets at the sides and the two trouser-style side pockets help keep your things neatly organized. This pant is a fine tailoring specimen with a tapered design, flared bottoms, and side slits.
The stretchable waistband allows you to wear it on your waist or pull it over your tummy as desired. The celebrity-favorite pants have a stylish design and are great to pair with your office scrub or uniform too. They are machine-washable, easy to maintain, super comfy to wear.
- Made of fade-resistant fabric
- Two-way stretch fabric aids in better mobility
- Suitable for all day wear
- Specially made to not limit movement
- Designed and created by nurses
- May not be true to size
- Legs may shrink after a few washes
"Soft, stretchy, and roomy, this maternity scrub has made my pregnancy journey quite relaxing. It's pretty functional with the pockets and has a flattering look."
5. Best Adjustable: WonderWink Women’s Wonderwork Maternity Top
If you are looking for a modish maternity scrub top with a professional appearance, the expert-recommended Wonderwink Scrub top could be your choice. With a comfortable V-neck design and long-length front, this top gives a semblance of a wrap top. This adjustable maternity scrub is made of cotton and polyester blended fabric for comfort and has two large patch pockets in the front for keeping cell phones, pens, and little notepads handy when at work. Since the top is machine-washable, it offers easy care and maintenance.
- Drawstring allows you to adjust the fit for every trimester
- Breathable and soft on the skin
- Side panels stretch for extra room when needed
- Comes in multiple sizes and colors
- May be slightly longer than expected
- Sleeves may not offer good stretch
"This maternity scrub top has a nice design and ample room to support my growing belly. The softness of the material is a major plus. Also, I love the rich color options, which are pretty flattering!"
6. Best Breathable: Grey’s Anatomy Two-Pocket Empire Line Maternity Top
The Grey’s Anatomy scrub top is a cute maternity scrub top endorsed by medical professionals. The polyester-rayon-blend stretchy fabric is soft on the skin and absorbs moisture and sweat, keeping you dry and comfortable. Style-wise, the top presents an elegant empire waist with a cinch cord to give you a stylish look and make you look and feel good. The side vents offer good air circulation and breathability. There are two seam pockets on the sides for you to keep your essentials secure and in place.
- Comes in five sizes and three colors
- Suitable for tumble drying and low ironing
- Has added space around the tummy for the last trimester
- Tie stitch at the back for comfortable fit at any workplace
- Drawstring may have to be tightened frequently
"I feel relaxed wearing this comfy maternity scrub top. It's generous around the belly— a solid plus for enhanced comfort. Also, the pockets come in handy to keep my essentials. Despite being slightly long, I am quite happy with it."
7. Best Functional: Jockey Scrubs Classic Elastic Waist Maternity Pant
This cool pair of maternity pants from Jockey offers great fit and comfort. The scrub bottom has a stretch band that covers your bump and the back of the waist snugly so that your body is well-supported during those long hours of work. To store your work essentials in an organized way, there is the option of two slip pockets in the front and two pocket patches in the back. You can pop it into the machine after work and wear it when it’s dry and ready. Further, you can pair this classic maternity scrub pant with camisoles or t-shirts for a celebrity-inspired look.
- Comfort stretch panels for round-the-clock comfort
- Does not pill or fade
- Made with a blend of polyester, rayon, and spandex
- Large leg opening and flare bottoms for free movement
- Belly band may have a flimsy design
- Seams may not be durably stitched
"Whether I'm lounging or going for a walk, this maternity scrub comfortably adapts to my needs. I should particularly thank the soft, stretchy fabric that has kept me comfy through the various stages of my pregnancy."
8. Best Quick-Drying: WonderWink Women’s Maternity Scrub Pant
Here’s a pair of classy maternity scrub pants from WonderWink. It is made of polyester that has a soft feel and is stretchy. Available in four color options, the pants have a pull-on design for easy use. The maternity cargo pants have a flare-leg design with side vents that allow easy movement to ensure no discomfort while you work or lounge. The waist panel provides sturdy support to your baby bump, giving it a seamless look.
For convenience while on the move, the pants provide you with spacious pen pockets and a mobile pocket for a quick reach when you need things. Stay comfortable at work with this pair.
- Machine-washable and quick-drying
- No need for ironing before use
- Available in multiple sizes and colors
- Silk knit texture comes with the same color of the pants
- Some may find the pants to be slightly baggy
- May not stretch well near the thighs
"This scrub pant's comfortable, stretchable material had my back as I underwent various bodily changes. It retained its shape even after washing. Above all, its ability to keep off lint surprised me the most. I would recommend them!"
9. Best Mock Wrap Design: Cherokee Workwear Professionals Women’s Maternity Scrub Set
This classy scrub set is definitely one of the most elegant dressing options during your pregnancy terms. The scrub top features a mock wrap design with a fashionable empire waist and a side string to adjust the fit as your baby grows. It also has side panels that are made from rib-knit soft fabric. The pants have a straight leg fit for that smart ‘at work’ look. It contains 2 patch pockets and an additional pocket for keeping your mobile phone. The panel supporting your waist and tummy is also made from a rib-knit material that is beautifully snug. The scrub material offers durability and promises to stretch comfortably as your pregnancy advances, so you don’t need to stock up on bigger sizes. Just wear the set and complement your flattering figure. You can be assured that you won’t feel any restraint to your movement as your baby grows within.
Shawnda Dorantes APRN, MSN, FNP-C, a California-based beauty nurse practitioner says, “Maternity scrubs have revolutionized the clothing selection for pregnant women. Their tailored design, featuring adjustable waistbands and stretchy materials, accommodate a growing belly and provide comfort that regular scrubs simply can’t match. Their thoughtful construction ensures that expectant mothers of any profession or background can perform their duties with greater ease and comfort throughout their pregnancy.”
How To Choose The Right Maternity Scrubs?
Keep these factors in mind when choosing maternity scrubs for yourself or a loved one.
- Size: Maternity scrubs, whether tops or bottoms, come in various fits to suit different body shapes and sizes. Hence always make your pick depending on what size and body type you are. If you are of a petite frame, you could choose the size maternity scrub petite, or if you are tall, you can go for maternity scrub tall size. They all come with corresponding waist and length sizes for legs, so you don’t have to worry about running to the tailors for alterations. Remember, you will grow considerably in the final weeks, so ensure that you buy a fit that will accommodate your growing size. Therefore, it is vital that you read the size guide carefully and then make a choice.
- Material: When it comes to material, always choose something that feels good on your skin. With increased sensitivity in the pregnancy months, the last thing you need is itchy and rashy skin. Always check the label to pick clothing that is most suited for your body and skin type. Test the fabric used in the scrubs and ensure it is stretchable, breathable, and has antimicrobial properties. Mostly, materials like cotton, rayon, polyester spandex, etc., are commonly used in manufacturing scrubs. As experiencing hot flushes are common during this time, go for scrubs that absorb moisture and keep you cool and comfortable. For example, cotton is gentle on the skin, whereas polyester is low maintenance and easy to dry. In most cases, the fabrics come in a blended form, which is more practical for everyday tough use. Thus, you can select it after testing the fabric.
- Stretch and elasticity: With your tiny one growing inside, it will be essential to buy maternity garments that will expand comfortably to give you adequate ease and comfort of movement. Every maternity scrub has a different design of elastic fit. Some scrubs expand from all sides, whereas some stretch from the front and sides only. Some scrubs provide tummy support with a snug leg fit, whereas some provide a more airy and relaxed fit. Thankfully most maternity scrubs from good retailers provide you with the necessary support and comfort. Still, you have to keep an eye on the exact details of fit and elasticity that the scrubs provide to different parts of your body.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I wear regular scrubs while pregnant?
Regular scrubs are not that stretchable to accommodate your growing belly. Therefore, opting for a maternity scrub would be an ideal choice for pregnant women.
2. Do maternity scrubs shrink when put in the dryer?
Maternity scrubs might shrink when put in the dryer. Therefore, it is recommended to always go up a size.
3. Are maternity scrubs waterproof?
Yes, most of the maternity scrubs are waterproof.
4. Can men also wear maternity scrubs?
Maternity scrubs might not be an ideal choice for men.
5. Are maternity scrubs bleach-resistant?
Maternity scrubs are generally not bleach-resistant. However, you might find one or two exceptions on the market.
The best maternity scrubs come in handy by giving the right support for the little one that grows in your belly by keeping it warm and the mother comfortable. Since comfort gets an edge over style, the key to picking one is to check if the scrubs are versatile enough to be used in any part of the trimester, especially if they can stretch adequately and give you the required comfort. You can also consider one made using fabrics that go soft on the skin but are also breathable and easy to wash. Further, you may pick a doctor-recommended maternity scrub if you have sensitive skin.
Infographic: What Are The Advantages Of Wearing Maternity Scrubs?
Each pregnancy trimester brings changes in your belly size, making buying clothes frequently tedious and non-budget-friendly. Maternity scrubs come to the rescue, providing the benefit of adjusting to your changing belly size. Check out the following infographic to learn the advantages of using maternity scrubs.
- Best Maternity Tops
- Best Blackhead Scrubs
- Best Nursing Tanks
- Best Skincare Products To Use During Pregnancy
- Best Birthing Balls For Pregnancy