Every child needs a good nights’ sleep for healthy growth and development. And you can help them with it by creating their own space with a comfortable bed and a mattress to go with it.
You might want to buy a ‘children’s mattress’ to make it more comfortable for your child.
But how do you differentiate between a generic mattress made for adults and a kids’ mattress? What should you look for when getting a mattress for the children’s bed? Find out all about that in this MomJunction post about the best mattresses for children.
What Are The Types Of Kids Mattress?
It is essential to know the various types of mattresses and their key features to pick one that it is suitable for children. Mattresses can be categorized into three depending on the material used inside:
- Innerspring coil: Coil mattresses have inner steel springs/coils that are attached within an outer steel frame. Mattresses that have the coils right beneath the surface are called open coil mattresses. The mattresses where individual coils are wrapped inside a pocket are called pocketed coil or pocket sprung mattresses. Coil mattresses offer a firm sleeping surface and can retain their shape for long. However, the coils may pop out in the long run as the mattress fabric degrades.
- Foam: Foam is a synthetic polymer used as stuffing to make foam mattresses. It is ideal for children who like soft to medium firmness. A variant of foam is memory foam, which retains the shape of the person sleeping on the mattress. They isolate movement and get back to their original form once any pressure is removed. Memory foam can be a bit expensive and tends to off-gas, or give out a chemical smell.
- Latex: Latex mattresses offer the best of comfort and durability. Like memory foam mattresses, they isolate movement and are usually made of natural latex (plant origin) or synthetic latex.
Some mattresses incorporate more than one material, thus making them hybrid versions. Choosing the right mattress type depends on several factors and expectations.
How To Choose The Right Mattress For Children?
Consider the following points before picking a mattress for your child:
- Size: Children’s mattresses usually come in three sizes: twin (38×75 inches), twin XL (38×80 inches), and full (54×75 inches) mattress. Full mattresses can be ideal for teenagers and for children who share the bed with a sibling. Twin and twin XL are suitable for a prepubescent child who sleeps alone in bed. In both the variants of the twin mattress, you may have to switch to full size later. But if you are not sure when you may have to make the switch, then you can consider buying a twin or twin XL size for the time being.
- Longevity: The mattresses made of memory foam and latex can last longer than those made of coil springs. However, coil spring mattresses can retain their shape for long. Choose one depending on how long you intend to use it.
- Budget: Consider an innerspring coil mattress if you do not want to spend much on a kids’ mattress. Premium memory foam and latex mattresses cost more than coil spring mattresses but offer superior comfort.
- Firmness preference: If your child prefers a firm surface, then pick a coil mattress. Children who sleep on the belly or sides will find softer foam and latex comfortable.
- Allergies: Some individuals with sensitive skin can display an allergic reaction to latex. Foam mattresses may give out a chemical smell initially, which may not go well with children who have respiratory allergies.
Next, we list down some of the best mattresses you can consider buying for the kids’ bed.
11 Best Mattresses For Children
1. Olee Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
The Olee mattress is made with part foam and gel to make it extremely comfortable for children.
- Olee’s memory foam mattress fits in all types of bed frames and can also be used on the floor.
- A gel layer helps absorb and disperse the heat so that the user does not get too sweaty.
- The product comes with a ten-year warranty, which is quite impressive for a memory foam mattress.
- Users complained of fiberglass strands inside the mattress, which could be exposed on removing the cover.
2. Modway Aveline Memory Foam Twin Mattress
The memory foam in the Aveline mattress is infused with gel that further improves the memory function of the mattress, while also providing some other practical benefits.
- The foam of the mattress contains a gel layer that helps draw heat. It helps reduce sweating and lets the child sleep comfortably even when the weather is hot and humid.
- The foam is soft, and the memory function further improves the support function.
- The mattress uses CertiPUR-US-certified foam, which means it is free from harmful chemicals.
- The edges tend to taper away to the bottom, thus providing no support. It can be a risk if the child tends to roll off the bed frequently.
- Some users complain about the durability and off-gassing of the mattress.
3. Signature Sleep Mattress
Signature offers this coil mattress in multiple sizes and multiple thickness options, thus letting you pick a mattress that works for your little one.
- It is a reversible coil mattress and allows you to even out the wear and tear of the mattress in the long run.
- The mattress gets a CertiPUR-US certification. Flame retardants or heavy metals are not used in the mattress.
- The mattress decompresses within few hours of unboxing, thus letting you use it the same day as you receive it.
- Some users felt that the mattress tends to sag within a few months of usage.
4. Classic Brands Memory Foam Mattress
This mattress is particularly designed to keep the user cool in hot and humid weather conditions.
- The top layer of the mattress contains two inches of gel-infused memory foam that help draw heat away from the user’s body.
- The memory foam and gel used in the making of the mattress are hypoallergenic, thus making the mattress suitable for children with sensitive skin.
- Some users reported the formation of mold on the lower side of the mattress, although this could be due to the spilling of liquid on the mattress.
5. Zinus Green Tea Mattress
This durable coil mattress is infused with natural products that help control and prevent odor.
- The mattress has multiple layers of foam, including a layer of memory foam. The multiple layers help provide optimum comfort to the user.
- It comes with CertiPUR-US certification and is free from harmful chemicals.
- The mattress is infused with the essence of castor seed oil and tea extract, which work as natural odor and bacteria repellents.
- The mattress can take three days or more to decompress when you unpack it for the first time. It takes longer in some cases, which means you cannot use the mattress immediately after delivery.
6. Tuft & Needle Mattress
A mattress that is entirely designed to provide maximum user comfort and sound sleep.
- The foam is an adaptive one and can adjust to any user (adult or child) and any surface at the base.
- A proprietary gel used in the mattress draws away heat and keeps the person cool during hot weather.
- The mattress has several certifications, including the GreenGuard GOLD certification and CertiPUR-US certification indicating that no harmful chemicals were used in making the product. The amount of volatile organic compounds are also few.
- Users complain about its durability.
- Some users reported deformation of the mattress within a year of use.
7. Sleep Innovations Mattress
The Sleep Innovations mattress is durable and comfortable enough to let the child enjoy good nights’ sleep.
- The top layer of the mattress is memory foam while the lower layer is a firmer support foam for enhanced durability.
- The medium level firmness of the mattress makes it suitable for older and heavier children.
- Some users found the mattress firmer than expected.
8. Linenspa Innerspring Mattress
This Linenspa mattress comes in different sizes: twin, twin XL, and full among other additional sizes.
- The mattress is priced economically and is one of the best budget-friendly mattresses.
- The mattress has a cushioned top layer with a quilted fabric cover on top. It makes an excellent top layer of cushioning for comfort.
- The mattress is made from fire-resistant materials for added safety.
- The product comes with a 10-year warranty.
- The mattress is firm since it contains coil springs. Some users find the surface too stiff.
9. Lucid Memory Foam Mattress
The mattress has multiple layers of memory foam for superior comfort.
- There is a dual memory foam layer on top of the mattress, which creates extra support for the user.
- The gel infusion absorbs heat. The mattress is also designed to allow maximum airflow and ventilation to the user.
- The CertiPUR-US certification ensures that there is little emission of harmful chemicals.
- Some users did not find the mattress as plush as expected.
10. Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
Nectar memory foam mattress offers several advantages including an unmatched warranty, free trial, and other several other freebies that make it worth the price.
- The mattress has medium-level firmness, which is ideal for older and heavy children.
- A gel layer in the mattress keeps the child cool even when it is hot and humid.
- The manufacturer ships the mattress with two pillows. You also get a six-month trial offer. If you are unhappy with the mattress or if it develops a problem, then you can return it in six months.
- Some users found the mattress to be firm. A few users noticed that their mattress did not decompress properly after unpacking.
11. DreamFoam Mattress Latex Mattress
It is a latex mattress that provides a firm feel while also providing an adequate amount of comfort.
- The top layer is made from latex, and the layer beneath is made of high-density form. It provides comfort on top, along with durability at the base of the mattress.
- The mattress is also available in medium and soft firmness.
- Some users noticed that the mattress tends to sag quickly with use.
Getting a mattress for the children’s bed doesn’t seem like such a hassle now, does it? Just keep in mind that kids grow fast and you may want to get a mattress big enough to accommodate them for at least a few years. Also, get a waterproof mattress cover to protect it from spills and increase its durability. The right choice of mattress plus adequate care is all that’s needed to make the best use of any mattress you buy.
Which mattress did you pick for your child? Tell us in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.