Scoliosis is a medical condition in which the spine has an abnormal curvature. This usually emerges during puberty or shortly after it. Depending on the severity of the condition, your spine might have the curvature of the letter C or S. Sleeping can be difficult for those with scoliosis, as they experience discomfort because of the curvature. Individuals with this condition need a mattress that supports any medical intervention the doctor may have advised.
Here, we give a list of the best mattresses for scoliosis, and tips on choosing the right one for better sleep.
11 Best Mattresses For Scoliosis
The Zinus Green Tea memory foam mattress is queen-sized and comes with three different foam layers, ideal for back and side sleepers. Its three-inch top layer is infused with natural green tea extract and charcoal that enhances sleep quality. Next is the two-inch comfort foam layer that keeps you comfortable and prevents you from sinking too low.
The last seven-inch base support foam offers adequate support to the body. Once the package is unboxed and unrolled, it takes 72 hours for the mattress to attain its original size.
- Cool and comfortable poly knitted jacquard cover
- Plush cotton ball memory foam that is refreshing
- ActiveCharcoal microparticles block moisture that would otherwise give an unpleasant odor
- CertiPUR-US certified foam supports achy joints and aligns the spine
- Open-air pockets in the comfort foam layer encourage airflow
- Comes with a ten-year worry-free warranty
- Good body support and high performance
- Supports a maximum weight of 250lb
- Expert technology that compresses the mattress in one box for easy shipment
- Musty smell may emanate from the mattress
Enjoy sound and restful sleep on this Ashley innerspring firm mattress for scoliosis. It is a full-size, 12-inch bed designed with 528 individually power-packed wrapped coils, which adds to the mattress’s supportive and responsive feel. This hybrid mattress also has super soft quilt foam, gel memory foam, and upholstery-grade support foam, all of which improve the stability and softness you may need in a mattress.
- Made of hypoallergenic materials that do not trigger allergies
- Super plush layers along with power-packed coils offer maximum lumbar support
- Compatible with all bed bases and frames
- ¾” high-density super soft quilt foam for comfort
- ¼” high-density gel memory foam relieves pressure and controls the temperature
- One-inch upholstery grade comfort support foam
- Two perimeter rows of nine-inch 23-gauge coils provide body contouring
- Easy to set up, remove the protective wrap, and place on the frame
- May sag sooner than expected
Constructed with the newest generation memory foam and gel technology, this Classic Brands 2.0 ultimate mattress offers a plusher and comfortable sleeping surface. It is beautifully detailed and tailored with waterfall edge knitted cover and contrasting border.
The memory foam fits the body correctly and causes no strain on the pressure points. Equipped with ventilated cool gel foam, it regulates temperature to keep you cool. The 14-inch height and base density foam provide the necessary support without an additional base or frame.
- Foam layers work together to relieve pressure points on the back, neck, and shoulders
- Anti-microbial and hypoallergenic foam allows greater air circulation
- Reduces pressure points and properly aligns the spine
- CertiPUR-US standard foam with durability, performance
- Comes with a ten-year warranty
- Includes one shredded memory foam bonus pillows
- Adjustable base
- Offers a high level of integrity and support
- Available in full, king, queen, and California king sizes
- Gives a peculiar odor that takes time to go away
The Vibe 12-inch gel memory foam mattress contains gel-infused memory foam that keeps you cool and fits your body. It also reduces trigger points and aligns the spine properly to take away the discomfort of scoliosis. You may, therefore, consider it to be the best mattress for scoliosis pain. This mattress is a bit plusher than a traditional mattress. It comes in twin, twin XL, king, queen, and California king sizes. It ships compressed and roll-packed to your doorstep.
- CertiPUR-US certified mattress
- Combination of two-inch and three-inch gel memory foam makes it breathable and comfortable
- Seven-inch high-density base offers support, relieves pains and aligns the spine
- Stretch knit quilted fiber cover
- Anti-microbial and hypoallergenic foam
- Set up is easy, and it quickly returns to its original shape after de-packaging
- Adjustable base
- Cover may develop wrinkles
- May be hard for side sleepers
This is a medium-firm mattress that contours to the body, regulates body temperature, and offers a cool sleeping environment. The gel-infused foam reduces pressure on the neck, back and shoulders, and can be a good mattress for scoliosis. Its open-cell and well-ventilated features help you sleep comfortably without causing any disturbance and interruption to the sleep cycle. It comes vacuum-packed and takes two hours to expand fully.
- Ventilated gel-infused memory foam layer for extra cooling
- Removable stretch knit, diamond-patterned cover
- Minimal motion transfer, and reduces bounce between two sleepers
- Independently tested, and CertiPUR-US certified
- Offers comfortable sleep in hot and humid weathers
- Supports all types of sleepers
- Comes with a ten-year warranty
- Does not have a significant edge support
- Gives chemical odor initially
Live and Sleep queen size memory foam mattress offers both comfort and support for pain relief. The premium foam pillow that comes with it adds value to the purchase. It could be one of the best mattresses for scoliosis as it provides a high contour and adapts to the body’s curves. The 8.5-inch support base adds to its heavy-duty performance and gives it a cozy feel. It is available in twin, twin XL, full, full XL, short queen, king, and California king sizes.
- 5-inch premium airflow infused Visco foam keeps you fresh throughout
- 5-inch high-density foam gives support to prevent back, neck, shoulder, and hip pains
- Ideal for all types of sleepers
- Plush and breathable, quality mattress construction
- Antimicrobial, hypoallergenic, and dust mite-resistant
- Soft and breathable stretch knit cover
- Works with any bed frame, box spring, hard floor, or metal platform
- Comes with a 20-year warranty, and a 30-day full refund guarantee
- Mixed reviews on breathability
- May sag if you are heavy
The Lucid 12-inch bamboo charcoal and aloe vera hybrid mattress gives a fresh and clean feel when you sleep on it. Multiple comfort layers of the mattress support the spine and back. It features 6.5-inch individually-encased steel coils, 1.5-inch transition foam infused with aloe vera, and another two-inch memory foam infused with bamboo charcoal. Experience the soothing properties of aloe vera and odor-reducing and moisture-wicking properties of bamboo charcoal with this mattress.
- Natural infusions wake you up rejuvenated in the morning
- Steel coils isolate movement, offer edge support, and align your spine
- Packs all the comfort and support for an ultimate sleep experience
- Two-tone circular knit fabric cover
- Comes with a ten-year warranty against manufacturer defects
- Ideal addition to any master bedroom or guestroom
- Mixed reviews on sagging nature
- Maybe a bit heavy
This mattress for scoliosis from Classic Brands combines the traditional wrapped coils in innerspring with the newest generation of gel memory foam for good sleep experience. It includes a quilted pillow that is beautifully detailed and knit sides and corded edge for breathability. The 12-inch depth includes eight-inch support coils, the top layer of gel-infused memory foam, and several support layers of comfort foam. It is compressed, rolled, and shipped in a box that is easy to set-up without a lot of effort.
- Gel-infused foam supports the spine and back for a good night’s sleep
- Plush and medium-firm mattress that regulates temperature
- CertiPUR-US certified and subjected to voluntary testing and analysis
- Antimicrobial, hypoallergenic, and dust-resistant mattress
- Supports all body types
- Pillow top with a cushion-firm feel
- Comes with a ten-year warranty, and lasts for a long time
- Gives an unpleasant odor
- Firmness may not be suitable for all
The Nod by Tuft and Needle mattress is developed with a layer of gel and graphite filled polyfoam and thickened polyfoam bolster center. This is an eight-inch thick mattress with proprietary adaptive foam that is more responsive than memory foam. The medium-firm mattress is comfortable for all sleep positions and conforms to the body shape to relieve stress points and reduce discomfort in the neck, back, and shoulders.
- High-quality foam prevents sinking in or sleeping hot
- Localized bounce will not disturb your partner’s sleep
- Breathable, soft, and cozy grey knit top cover
- Suitable for all types of sleepers
- Comes with a ten-year limited warranty
- 100-night sleep trial option
- CertiPUR-US certified
- Built-to-last with durable foam
- Some may find it hard and uncomfortable
- May give a slight latex odor
This is one of the premium supportive mattresses combining three-inch foam and latex, and seven-inch steel inner springs. Its innerspring system features individually wrapped coils. This has the right amount of firmness and bounce, which is ideal for stomach and back sleepers. It is available in standard sizes of twin, full, queen, king, and California king.
- Combined memory foam and innerspring ensure better sleep
- Regulates temperature, reduces motion transfer, and relieves pressure points
- Four layers of foam and latex conform to the natural curves of the body
- Supportive and does not give any sinking feeling
- High-quality steel coils offer excellent motion isolation and provide edge support
- Two-tone cover that is ideal for a master bedroom or a guest room
- Comes with a ten-year warranty against manufacturer defects
- Comes compressed and rolled for easy shipping and set-up
- Heavier individuals may find it a bit soft
You may enjoy a beautiful sleep experience with this eight-inch twin XL Best Price Mattress. The two-inch memory foam top layer conforms to your body, relieving the pressure points in the neck, head, shoulders, feet, and hips. Below that is a two-inch airflow comfort foam that gives a cooling experience. The base layer of four-inch supportive foam offers proper support and comfort for a rejuvenating sleep experience. This comfortable mattress is available in sizes of twin, full, queen, short queen, and king.
- Antimicrobial and breathable foam
- Covered by a zippered and breathable poly-Jacquard fabric cover
- High-density foam supports top layers, makes the mattress durable
- Memory foam eliminates transfer motion
- Maintains the spine’s natural position
- CertiPUR-US certified
- Ten-year manufacturer limited warranty
- Gives a distinct odor initially
- Some might find it a bit heavy
How To Choose The Best Mattress For Scoliosis?
Here are a few important factors to consider when you have scoliosis and are planning to purchase a mattress.
- Quality material: Most mattresses eventually sag and develop permanent body indentations. Therefore, consider mattresses made with high-quality materials and features, such as higher coil counts and denser foams.
- Firmness level: The required firmness is determined by your body type, sleeping position, and personal preference. A mattress that is too soft may fail to support the back while a mattress that is too hard may cause uncomfortable pressure points.
- Edge support: This is an important factor for those who struggle to get in and get out of the bed, or who prefer sitting on the edge. Choose hybrid mattresses and innerspring mattresses that have better edge support.
- Contouring: Some materials contour more closely to the body’s curves, causing heavier parts such as hips and shoulders to sink in deep. It, therefore, relieves pressure from these parts and might improve spine alignment. Consider buying close contouring mattresses that restrict movement.
- Motion isolation: Choose a soft mattress that won’t feel like you are stuck in the bed. It should have good motion isolation to absorb the movement of one person so that the partner is not disturbed.
- Mattress type: The different types of mattresses available are memory foam, latex foam, hybrid, innerspring, airbed, or all-foam. They may differ in terms of feel and performance. It also depends on the quality of materials used, and also on your needs. Read the specifications and reviews to purchase the best mattress for your condition.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How should I sleep if I have scoliosis?
You may prefer sleeping flat on your back with a thin pillow beneath the shoulder blades for added cushioning. Some also prefer sleeping on their side. Whatever position you choose, the mattress should offer enough support and relieve pressure and keep your spine aligned.
- Are mattress toppers good for scoliosis?
Mattress toppers are individual cushion layers that rest on the sleep surface. They make the sleep surface either soft or firm. A latex or memory foam topper is ideal for people with scoliosis as it conforms to your body, alleviating spinal pain and other aches.
- Can a bad mattress cause scoliosis?
A bad mattress will not cause scoliosis, but it might make the symptoms worse. An unsupportive bed mattress may cause pain and sleep disturbances.
Before you pick a mattress for scoliosis, discuss with your doctor, go through the list, compare, and review to find one that is best for you. Although the right mattress cannot completely cure the condition, it can at least offer a comfortable and restful sleep.