Mountain biking requires good bike handling skills, energy, endurance, balance, and the right protective gear. Using elbow pads will protect your elbow from serious injuries such as bone fractures, joint dislocations, scrapes, and bruises in the event of a fall. Elbow pads for mountain biking must also be comfortable to wear and not impede your movement or speed. Keeping these factors in mind, we’ve compiled a list of the best elbow pads for mountain biking.
Top Products From Our List
11 Best Elbow Pads For Mountain Biking
Bodyproxelbow protection pads will enhance your mountain biking experience by allowing you to ride carefree. It extends from your elbows to your arms to provide extra protection and prevent bruises and scratches on your arms. In addition, the strategically placed foam grid will protect the elbow area from all types of injuries caused by an impact. Since one size does not fit all, these foam pads are available in various sizes to ensure a perfect fit.
- Breathable compression fabric for optimum comfort
- Abrasion-resistant material
- Snug-fit design
- Doesn’t hamper the arm movement
- Some might find these not so helpful for downhill trails
- Small padding area
The G-Form Pro X2 elbow pads feature smart flex pads that are flexible and impact-resistant. That is, whenever your elbows are hit, the padding material hardens and absorbs the shock, protecting your elbows. Wearing these pads can make you feel like your second skin, and they are comfortable to wear. In addition, these elbow pads are available in various sizes to ensure a perfect fit.
- Extended foam padding to forearms for added protection
- Waterproof material
- The moisture-wicking feature keeps your arms dry
- Ventilated design for air circulation
- Silicone grippers to keep the pads in place
- Machine washable
- Doesn’t hamper the movement
- Not durable
The Demon hyper elbow pads are made of shock-absorbing foam. When hit by a hard object, this foam absorbs the impact and protects your elbow. It will revert to its flexible state after the impact. In addition, the Kevlar front shield protects the pads from being chewed up on concrete or asphalt. These elbow pads are comfortable and flexible to wear while mountain biking and come in various sizes.
- Moisture control design to keep them dry and comfortable
- Soft mesh panel at inner elbows
- Large foam area that extends the protection
- Non-slip elastic bands to keep the pads in place
- Outstanding protection
- Some might find these elbow pads bulky
POC elbow pads are specially designed for rough cycling, ensuring flexibility and comfort without sacrificing movement. These are light-duty elbow pads with crash retention straps and an anti-slip neoprene interior. They remain in place during a collision and protect your elbows from serious injury. They are available in various colors and sizes to ensure a perfect fit.
- Reinforced stretch fabric for comfort
- Shock absorbing VPD compound
- Durable material
- Comfortable to wear all day long
- Breathable fabric
- Some might find these elbow pads bulkier
- No straps on the upper side
Triple Eight ExoSkin Elbow Pad is made of high-intensity eight-link foam padding. It also has six padded pockets on the sides for additional elbow and side protection. The Velcro straps will keep the elbow pads in place. These pads are available in various sizes to ensure a proper fit.
- Sweat-absorbing cloth lining on the inside
- Abrasion and tear-resistant Kevlar cover outside
- Protects the sides of the elbows
- Neoprene breathable body
- Comfortable to wear for a long duration
- Easy to put on and off
- Feels a bit hotter during warm weather
- Not great for downhill trails
VPD 2.0 from POC offers protection on tough rides and is appropriate for all mountain bikers. These elbow pads are soft and flexible to conform to the shape of your elbow but harden when it is stuck in a collision. The shocks are absorbed by the padding and protect your elbow from severe injuries during a crash. It also comes with a crash retention strap for a perfect and secure fit. These elbow pads are also available in different sizes.
- Prevents sliding down even in rough conditions
- Breathable and stretchable fabric for comfort
- Comfortable to wear for a longer duration
- Offers great protection
- Adjustable straps
The Kali Protectives strike elbow guards are made of Xelion padding and provide high-impact protection. These slip-on elbow pads have EVA padding in critical areas for additional protection. It has non-slip bands on the top and bottom to keep the pad from sliding down on rough terrain. The mesh back panel allows for ventilation and adds comfort.
- Three years warranty
- Flexible and offers freedom of movement
- Easy to put on and off
- Keeps you dry even in hot weather
- Doesn’t fit great for muscular arms
Webetop elbow guards are versatile and provide good impact protection for the elbow. These elbow pads can be fastened with Velcrostraps. The durable aramid fiber armor, combined with the high compression EVA foam on the sides, provides adequate protection. The inner fabric is soft and breathable, offering comfort and ventilation to your elbows.
- Wide elastic strap for comfort
- Sturdy built
- Keeps your elbows dry and cool in hot weather
- Easy to clean
- One size which doesn’t fit everyone perfectly
- Can slide down
Fox Racing’s Enduroelbow guards are specially designed for mountain biking and are ride-friendly. These slip-on elbow pads are easy to put on and provide maximum protection in the event of a crash. They provide adequate coverage without impeding movement. It has a multi-fabric design that fits perfectly and does not slide down. The stretch material on the back and the perforated neoprene on the outside of the arm provide flexibility.
- Breathable fabric keeps you cool and dry
- Allows full range of motion
- Sleek design
- Easy to put on and off
- Have no straps to hold it in place
Dakine’s elbow sleeves are made breathable to keep you safe and comfortable on longer rides in hot weather. The DK impact polyurethane foam acts as a shock absorber, preventing serious elbow injuries. In addition, the stretchable extended mesh material will fit you perfectly without sliding down. In addition, these breathable elbow pads are ideal for tough terrain.
- Aramid ripstop shell
- Odor control technology to manage stink
- Ergonomic pattern for an enhanced snug fit
- Four-way stretch mesh with grip keeps the pads in place
- May not snugly fit some individuals
POC Joint VPD elbow pads are made with their patented viscoelastic polymer dough, which is highly absorbent and breathable. These elbow pads are ideal for mountain biking and are extremely comfortable. Its multi-layered ventilation system ensures that you do not overheat while the flexible padding hardens on impact, providing maximum protection. These elbow pads are available in different sizes for perfect fitting.
- Low-friction construction
- Abrasion-resistant outer fabric
- Snug fit
- Gives freedom of movement
- No Velcro straps
How To Choose The Right Mountain Biking Elbow Pads?
Here are few factors to consider before buying mountain biking elbow pads.
- Impact resistance: Elbow pads should provide you the maximum protection in the event of a collision or fall. The padding should be flexible enough to fit your elbow and strong enough to withstand the impact.
- Skin-friendly: Choose elbow pads with a soft and comfortable inner fabric that will not irritate your skin.
- Breathable fabric: Breathable elbow pads keep your skin dry without making you sweat at high speeds. This allows you to wear the pads for longer periods, even in hot weather.
- Size and fit: Ensure that the size you choose is not too small or large for your arms. If you choose a smaller size, you will end up with a tight fit. On the other hand, if you choose the larger size pads, they will slip off your elbows and not provide adequate protection.
- Durability: You don’t want to buy new elbow pads every time you fall because it is time-consuming and expensive. Instead, choose quality elbow pads that will not only last but will provide you with maximum protection.
- Additional features: Anti-slip design with Velcro straps will keep the elbow pads in place. You can check for lightweight and slim designs that don’t look bulkier but ensures safety.
Choosing the right elbow pads for mountain biking is critical because it is an activity with a high risk of fall and collision. However, with so many products on the market, it can be challenging to make the right choice. We hope that this buying guide helps you find the best elbow pads for your needs.