Mountain bike stems play an essential role in making the adventurous ride comfortable and relaxing. Here, we have included a list of the best mountain bike stems you can pick for your next adventurous ride. The bike stem attaches the handlebars to the steerer tube of the cycle’s fork. However, a low-quality one can cause discomfort and make the journey strenuous. Therefore, while purchasing, one needs to keep a few things in mind for bike stems, such as handlebar width, top tube length, material, and rise. Read on the post to learn more about mountain bike stems before purchasing one.
Our Top Picks
13 Best Mountain Bike Stems in 2021
This bike stem is lightweight and has a hollow design. It is made of aluminum alloy and weighs 290g and has a length of 110mm. The handle diameter is 31.8mm, and the handlebar and the tube diameter is 28.6mm. It can be adjusted from 0-60° angle and has a four-bolt bar clamp that holds it in position securely.
- Short handlebar stem
- Easy to install
- Can be used for most mountain bikes, road bikes, fixed gear cycles, etc.
- Made of high-intensity stem
- Might get a little rigid
If you want to deliver the best performance with any mountain bike, then you can invest in this stem. The Respond stem is engineered very efficiently to offer stiffness, weight, and strength at an attractive price. Some of the features include a four-bolt bar clamp that secures perfectly. The faceplate eliminates stress, which may cause the bar to break or bend. It weighs 195g and is 45mm long. Its stack height is 40mm, the rise is 10 inches, and is built for AM/DH/FR.
- Made of aluminum alloy
- High strength
- Fatigue resistance
- Optimal weight
- Interlocking U-shaped handlebar clamp for shifting the load to the stem body and not the bolts
- It might be a little heavy
Fomtor 35 degrees stem riser is designed to increase and decrease the handlebar height, making it a perfect replacement for an adjustable stem. Suitable for almost all road bikes, track bikes, BMX, mountain bike, DH, etc., the handlebar riser has a diameter of 31.8mm, and the front fork stem diameter is 28.6mm. The stem length can be adjusted from 70mm to 110mm, and it weighs about 135g.
- Ultralight and durable
- Made of aluminum alloy
- Easy to install by just connecting the original front fork stem
- Made of four bolt bar clamps for securing the position
- The length might be a problem
This stem is designed for riders looking specifically for quality at a value price point. It has four-bolt clamp holders to secure its position, and the length is adjustable from 60mm to 90, 100, and 120mm. The logo on the stem riser gives it a very high-end look. It is suitable for XC/trail riding and comes with a bar diameter of 31.8mm, a weight of 175g, and a stack height of 40mm.
- Made of 6061 aluminum
- Core strength is very high
- Fatigue resistant
- The weight is reasonable
- The stem might not close the gap on the top
If you are looking for an adjustable bike stem, then this could be your perfect pick. The Sunlite bike stem has an adjustable angle (0° to 60°) and perfectly fits both 25.4mm and 31.8mm handlebars. The weight distribution is even with this 95mm long stem, which fits both 1″ and 1-1/8″ fork diameters.
- Made of forged alloy construction
- EN MTN safety certified
- Shims are included with each stem
- Can be used for both mountain bike and road bike
- This stem riser could be heavy
This bike stem is designed to meet the needs of FR and AM riders: it is said to be tough enough for FR and light enough for AM. The stem is made of 6061 T6 aluminum alloy and suitable for handlebars with a diameter of 31.8mm. The length is 35mm to 50mm, and the weight distribution is very even. It weighs 132g and can be used for all-mountain, downhill, freeride, and endurance riders.
- Very light in weight
- CloseGap faceplate design makes installation easier
- CNC works to reduce the extra weight
- Compact design and very comfortable
- Mixed reviews on the weight as it might be heavy
If you are an AM/DH/FR rider, this could be a great pick for you. The bike stem is 6 x 2 x 3 inches, and the weight is 175g. Made of alloy, this can be secured in place using the four-bolt bar clamp. This design is not very lightweight but serves the purpose to a great extent.
- The faceplate mechanism reduces stress that could break or bend the bar
- High clamping power can reduce stress on the steer tube
- High-performance stem riser
- May be on the heavier side
Ritchey’s 4-axis bike stem features a 3D-net shaped shaft with the broached clamp, making it one of the lightest, most secure, and strongest stem available. The bar and steerer are made of stainless steel, which provides good durability.
The stem length range is 90, 105, 120mm, with a +/-55° range of height adjustability. Its steerer height is 40 millimeters, faceplate width is 42 millimeters, and weight is 219g.
- This stem has a black finish and is sleek and stylish
- Made of aluminum alloy
- The faceplate helps in reducing stress fractures
- Durability is good
- May not be sturdy
This short stem riser from Fureey provides more stability to the bike for high-speed performance. Made of high-quality, machined 7075 aluminum to reduce fatigue, the stem weighs 131.5g, is 50mm in length, and fits handlebars with 31.8in diameter.
- Faceplate design helps in the installation
- Short stem with a long handlebar is stable and flexible
- Gives a solid grip by keeping the handlebar in a comfortable position
- The unique U-shaped design transfers load to the stem body and does not affect the bolts
- The opposing bolts reduce stress on the steer tube
- It might be a bit heavy
Azarxis is a popular brand that offers many products for outdoor sports, including a mountain bike stem. The universal short handlebar stem is made of high-strength 6061 aluminum alloy. The four-bolt bar clamps make this lightweight stem stable, while the hollow design makes it versatile.
- Just connect the original front fork stem, and the installation is done
- This stem is useful for most bikes, including mountain bikes and gear bicycles
- Highly durable
- High quality with corrosion resistance
- Tough performance
- Might not function smoothly on rough terrains
The Toseek aluminum bike stem can be easily connected to the front fork stem and secured using four bolt bar clamps. It is made of 7050 aluminum alloy and fits handlebars with 31.8mm diameter. The stem is suitable for most bikes, including mountain bikes, road bikes, track bikes, BMX, MTB, and road bikes.
- Reduces vibrations and shock transmitted to the hands and wrists
- Ride faster at the same energy level over uneven and rough roads
- The opening at the steerer is a bit narrow
Cansucc offers a high-intensity mountain bike stem, which is 60mm long and weighs 115g. It is built using high-strength aluminum alloy and has a universal stem for short handlebars, making it compatible with most road bikes, MTB, track bike, and BMX. The stem is easy to install and secured using four bolt bar clamps.
- Easy to install, uses four bolt bar clamps for a secure fit
- Universal short handlebar stem suitable for most bikes
- Could help achieve an ergonomic posture for a comfortable ride
- It might be a bit heavy
This bicycle stem is made of high-quality aluminum alloy and is resistant to corrosion. It is available in four sizes, 25.4x90mm, 25.4x110mm, 31.8x90mm, and 31.8x110mm. The front fork stem diameter is 28.6mm, the length is around 90mm -110mm, and the weight is approximately 270g. The bike stem is adjustable and can make riding easier on different terrains. The weight distribution is also on the higher side.
- Fine workmanship
- Highly durable
- Light in weight
- Easy to install
- Universal stem fits
- May be a little heavier
Benefits Of Mountain Bike Stems
- Control: The most important benefit is that they help adjust the length of your stem. This, in turn, allows you to control your bike better. Longer stems are smooth in function, whereas shorter ones react immediately but can be twitchy.
- Weight distribution: The stem length directly changes the weight distribution. Choose longer stems as they help you to climb on terrains easily by managing the weight better.
- Personalization: If you want to personalize the bike, you need to look for stems that are available in several color options.
- Weight savings: Usually, lightweight stems are preferred as they make even your difficult climbs easier.
- Proper posture: Correct stem installation can keep all those backaches at bay by enabling a proper posture.
How To Choose Mountain Bike Stems?
There are a few factors that must be considered to pick the best mountain bike stems.
- Length: If your bike has a short top tube, you must put a stem length between 50mm and 80 mm.
- Handlebar Width: If the stem on your bike is short, you need to increase the handlebar width. This will add control and stability as this dictates the hand position over the handles.
- Rise: The rise is the angle of the stem’s body and affects the positioning of the bike and your reach of the handlebar. Most stems have a rise of around 6°, which is moderate, while some can be 0°, which is just straight. Those with 6° or more can be flipped to give you a lower bar position.
- Construction: Most stems are made of aluminum alloy, which is strong enough, while some are made of carbon fiber, which is more durable and also expensive.
- Other Considerations Include:
- The diameter of the handlebar where the stem attaches
- If the stem design allows four-bolt clamp use
- The cost of the stem should be reasonable
Why Trust MomJunction?
If you enjoy long or adventurous bike rides, investing in high-quality mountain bike stems is a good idea to ensure a pleasant ride. Therefore, we have compiled this list of the finest mountain bike stems after considering aspects such as their handlebar width, top tube length, material, and rise. This list has been created by comparing and assessing various products online and including their specifications. We have also included the advantages of bike stems and a buying guide to help you choose the right one.
To ensure a safe and comfortable bike ride during your adventures, you need to purchase the best mountain bike stems. These handy devices help attach the handlebars to the steerer tube and play an essential role in keeping the bike sturdy and balanced. They also allow for better control and help you maintain proper posture. When picking a bike stem, consider the tube’s length and choose those made of durable and long-lasting materials such as aluminum alloy and carbon fiber.
- Best Bikes For Teens To Ride
- Best Sports Bras To Wear While Running
- Best Bedwetting Alarms To Detect Moisture
- Best Lawn Mower Blades For Home Use