Mountain bike stems play an essential role in making your outdoor adventures comfortable and relaxing. Here, we have included a list of the best mountain bike stems from trusted brands to help you pick the right one for your next ride. The bike stem attaches the handlebars to the steerer tube of the cycle’s fork. However, a low-quality one can cause discomfort and make the journey strenuous. Therefore, while purchasing, one needs to keep a few things in mind for bike stems, such as handlebar width, top tube length, material, and rise. Read this post to learn more about best-selling mountain bike stems and choose the right one.
13 Best Mountain Bike Stems For Comfortable Rides In 2023
The Funn Crossfire mountain bike stem features a sturdy yet lightweight structure, making it a suitable tool to make your rides smoother. It is manufactured with CNC machining technology for utmost toughness, and the high-quality aerospace 6061 alloy ensures durability. The trail mountain bike stem is suitable for handlebars measuring 35mm in diameter and is compatible with freeride, XC, and trail riding.
- Wide clamping area for added stability
- Zero-degree rise for ultimate fit
- Ideal for 1-⅛-inch steerers
- Available in six colors
- Paint may not be chip-proof
- Few may find it a bit bulky
"It's a well-built and good-looking stem available in various colors, which is a great plus. The smooth threads ensured quick assembly, and its low stack height was beneficial. I am quite impressed with its build quality. Overall, it's a purchase I recommend."
The Spank Split 35mm mountain bike stem is a single crown stem featuring micro-increment sizing options to provide a customized fit for your bike. It is crafted using superior-quality six-series aluminum alloy that can endure the harshest conditions and give you a competitive edge. In addition, it is CNC machined for accuracy in design, and the chamfered bar clamps reduce stress on the handlebar, offering safety and durability.
- 3D forged with shot peen-anodized finish
- Offers optimum stiffness and control
- Zero-degree rise
- Lasered cockpit setup for smooth up and back sweep
- Installation may take some time
"I recently replaced my stock stem with a Spank split stem, and I am happy with its performance. It did need an extra spacer due to its shorter stem height, but its style, strength, and lightweight aspect have enhanced my biking experience. The missing star design was a minor disappointment, but that in no way undermines its overall functionality and aesthetic."
Fomtor 35-degree stem riser for mountain bikes is designed to increase and decrease the handlebar height, making it a perfect replacement for an adjustable stem. Suitable for almost all road bikes, track bikes, BMX, mountain bike, DH, etc., the handlebar riser has a diameter of 31.8mm, and the front fork stem diameter is 28.6mm. The stem length can be adjusted from 70mm to 110mm, and it weighs about 135g.
- Ultralight and durable
- Made of aluminum alloy
- Easy to install by just connecting the original front fork stem
- Made of four bolt bar clamps for securing the position
- May be slightly bulky
"This stem did a great job elevating my handlebars, a much-needed comfort for me. Though slightly disappointed with the finish's flat texture, the lightweight build and quality overshadowed this. A satisfactory purchase; the stem significantly increased my all-road gravel bike's comfort level and increased the longevity of my bike."
|Funn Crossfire Mountain Bike Stem||Spank Split 35mm Stem||Fomtor Bike Handlebar Stem Riser|
|Color||Black.||Red||31.8 x 70mm|
|Weight||150 Grams||0.41 Pounds||140 Grams|
|Dimensions LxWxH||-||6.1 x 2.8 x 2.5 inches||-|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
This stem is designed for riders looking specifically for quality at a value price point. It has four-bolt clamp holders to secure its position, and the length is adjustable from 60mm to 90, 100, and 120mm. The logo on the stem riser gives it a very high-end look. The XC mountain bike stem is suitable for XC/trail riding and comes with a bar diameter of 31.8mm, a weight of 175g, and a stack height of 40mm.
- Made of 6061 aluminum
- Core strength is very high
- Fatigue resistant
- The weight is reasonable
- The stem might not close the gap on the top
"The RaceFacemountain bike stem's build feels very sturdy, and despite a minor issue with the handlebar not fitting perfectly, it is installed well and held securely. Shifting to this lightweight yet sturdy stem made a difference on rugged trails. Hence, I'm happy with this purchase."
If you are looking for an adjustable bike stem, then this could be your perfect pick. The Sunlite bike stem has an adjustable angle (0° to 60°) and perfectly fits both 25.4mm and 31.8mm handlebars. The weight distribution is even with this 95mm long mountain bike stem, which fits both 1″ and 1-1/8″ fork diameters.
- Made of forged alloy construction
- EN MTN safety certified
- Shims are included with each stem
- Can be used for both mountain bike and road bike
- This stem riser could be heavy
"The product has proven to be a comfortable and efficient solution to my biking woes. It is slightly heavier than I expected. Nevertheless, it fits perfectly, and the adjustable feature is a big plus as I share the cycle with my husband. Installation was a breeze, and the raised bar height improved my posture. All in all, it is an excellent addition to my cycle."
This bike stem is designed to meet the needs of FR and AM riders: it is said to be tough enough for FR and light enough for AM. The stem is made of 6061 T6 aluminum alloy and suitable for handlebars with a diameter of 31.8mm. The mountain bike stem length is 35mm to 50mm, and the weight distribution is very even. It weighs 132g and can be used for all-mountain, downhill, freeride, and endurance riders.
- Extremely lightweight
- CloseGap faceplate design makes installation easier
- CNC works to reduce the extra weight
- Compact design and very comfortable
- Might be slightly heavy
"This lightweight, solid bike stem is great to look at and modifies the reach significantly compared to my previous stem. I wish it had more color options to enhance customization. It's improved my biking position and handling, even withstanding the pump track. I am impressed with its performance, and I'm excited to try it on more trails."
If you are an AM/DH/FR rider, this could be a great pick for you. The widely tested and trusted bike stem is 6 x 2 x 3 inches, and the weight is 175g. Made of alloy, this can be secured in place using the four-bolt bar clamp. This design is not very lightweight but serves the purpose to a great extent.
- The faceplate mechanism reduces stress that could break or bend the bar
- High clamping power can reduce stress on the steer tube
- High-performance stem riser
- May be on the heavier side
"Not only is this stem durable, but it also aligns well with my bike's aesthetic. It's improved my ride since adding it to my mountain bike. The instructions could be more elaborate, but installation was smooth overall. I've felt a significant change in control, and this new stem combined with my bike feels superb."
Ritchey’s 4-axis bike stem features a 3D-net shaped shaft with the broached clamp, making it one of the lightest, most secure, and strongest stem for beginners and riders with in-depth expertise. The bar and steerer are made of stainless steel, which provides good durability.
The stem length range is 90, 105, 120mm, with a +/-55° range of height adjustability. Its steerer height is 40mm, faceplate width is 42mm, and weight is 219g.
- This stem has a black finish and is sleek and stylish
- Made of aluminum alloy
- The faceplate helps in reducing stress fractures
- High durability
- May not be sturdy
"Using this adjustable stem made a big difference for me; not only has it improved my posture, but also my comfort while biking. I loved the sturdy two-bolt design and found it simple to adjust. Though it's not the sleekest or lightest stem, it's efficient. My ride is now more comfortable, and my cycling experiences are more enjoyable."
This short stem riser from Fureey provides more stability to the bike for high-speed performance. Made of high-quality, machined 7075 aluminum to reduce fatigue, the stem for mountain bike handlebars weighs 131.5g, is 50mm in length, and fits handlebars with a diameter of 31.8in.
- Faceplate design helps in the installation
- Short stem with a long handlebar is stable and flexible
- Gives a solid grip by keeping the handlebar in a comfortable position
- The unique U-shape design transfers load to the stem body and does not affect the bolts
- The opposing bolts reduce stress on the steer tube
- It might be a bit heavy
"This bike stem is sturdy and boasts durable hardware. It did take me a while to figure out how to affix it due to its slightly curvy design. However, its metallic sheen and aesthetic charm make it worth the effort."
Azarxis is a trusted brand that offers many products for outdoor sports, including a mountain bike stem. The universal short handlebar stem is made of high-strength 6061 aluminum alloy. The four-bolt bar clamps make this lightweight stem stable, while the hollow design makes it versatile.
- Just connect the original front fork stem, and the installation is done
- This stem is useful for most bikes, including mountain bikes and gear bicycles
- Highly durable
- High quality with corrosion resistance
- Tough performance
- Might not function smoothly on rough terrains
"The bike stem is a hit for me as I found its finish decent and the machining satisfactory. Although deciphering how to align the bolts was a little tricky, the installation was easier than expected. And the lack of unsightly logos is a big plus!"
The Toseek aluminum bike stem can be easily connected to the front fork stem and secured using four bolt bar clamps. It is made of 7050 aluminum alloy and fits handlebars with 31.8mm diameter. The stem is suitable for most bikes, including mountain bikes, road bikes, track bikes, BMX, MTB, and road bikes.
- Reduces vibrations and shock transmitted to the hands and wrists
- Ride faster at the same energy level over uneven and rough roads
- The opening at the steerer is a bit narrow
Cansucc offers a high-intensity mountain bike stem, which is 60mm long and weighs 115g. It is built using high-strength aluminum alloy and has a universal stem for short handlebars, making it compatible with most road bikes, MTB, track bike, and BMX. The stem is easy to install and secured using four bolt bar clamps.
- Easy to install, uses four bolt bar clamps for a secure fit
- Universal short handlebar stem suitable for most bikes
- Could help achieve an ergonomic posture for a comfortable ride
- It might be a bit heavy
"This stem shortened my reach, making my rides more comfortable. It seems sturdy, well-made, and easy to install. I wish the branding was more subtle, as it affects the aesthetic of my bike. Despite this, it's a functional stem that improved my riding position, and for that, I would recommend it."
This bicycle stem is made of high-quality aluminum alloy and is resistant to corrosion. It is available in four sizes, 25.4x90mm, 25.4x110mm, 31.8x90mm, and 31.8x110mm. The front fork stem diameter is 28.6mm, the length is around 90mm -110mm, and the weight is approximately 270g. This stem for mountain bikes is adjustable and can make riding easier on different terrains. The weight distribution is also on the higher side.
- Fine workmanship
- Highly durable
- Easy to install
- Universal stem fits
- May be a little heavier
Benefits Of Mountain Bike Stems
- Control: The most important benefit is that they help adjust the length of your stem. This, in turn, allows you to control your bike better. Longer stems are smooth in function, whereas shorter ones react immediately but can be twitchy (however, that can be compensated with wider bars).
- Weight distribution: The stem length directly changes the weight distribution. Choose longer and flatter (0º or negative rise) stems as they help you to climb on terrains easily by managing the weight better. Choose shorter ones for more control in the descents.
- Personalization: If you want to personalize the bike, you need to look for stems that are available in several color options.
- Weight savings: Usually, lightweight stems are preferred as they make even your difficult climbs easier.
- Proper posture: Correct stem installation can keep all those backaches and hand numbness at bay by enabling a proper posture.
How To Choose Mountain Bike Stems?
Here are some factors to consider when getting the best mountain bike stems.
- Length: If your bike has a short top tube, you must put a stem length between 50mm and 80 mm.
- Handlebar Width: If the stem on your bike is short, you need to increase the handlebar width. This will add control and stability as this dictates the hand position over the handles.
- Rise: The rise is the mountain bike stem’s angle and affects the positioning of the bike and your reach of the handlebar. Most stems have a rise of around six degrees, which is moderate, while some can be zero degree, which is just straight. Those with six degrees or more can be flipped to give you a lower bar position.
- Construction: Most stems are made of aluminum alloy, which is strong enough to withstand the test of time, while some are made of carbon fiber, which is more durable and also expensive.
Jordi Sadurni, a sports scientist and cycling coach, says, “If you are unsure about what stem to put on your bike, consider these pointers.
- If you are a novice rider or like the downhills, go for a shorter and higher version.
- If you are an experienced rider, go for a shorter and higher version.
- And if you want to switch to a more aggressive position–lower and longer–consider making the transition slowly and in short increments to let your body adapt to the new position.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
If your outdoor adventures involve bike rides, investing in high-quality mountain bike stems is a good idea to ensure a pleasant ride. Therefore, Wedetso Chirhah, our in-house writer and reviewer of outdoor products, has compiled this list of the finest mountain bike stems after considering aspects such as their handlebar width, top tube length, material, and rise. This list has been created by comparing and assessing various top-rated products and their user reviews. Wedetso has also included the advantages of bike stems and a buying guide to help you choose the right one.
You need the best mountain bike stems to ensure a safe and comfortable bike ride during your adventures. They help attach the handlebars to the steerer tube and play an essential role in keeping the bike sturdy and balanced. They also allow better control and help you maintain proper posture. When picking a bike stem, consider the tube’s length and choose those made of durable and long-lasting materials such as aluminum alloy and carbon fiber. You may consider the Fomtor Bike Handlebar Stem Riser, which is lightweight and offers a 35-degree adjustment, and the RaceFace Atlas Mountain Bike Stem, designed with aluminum and a four-bolt bar clamp for secure placement. The Ritchey 4-Axis Bike Stem is also recommended for its 3D-net-shaped shaft, ensuring strength and longevity during your rides.
Infographic: How Are Long Bike Stems And Short Bike Stems Different?
Long and short mountain bike stems offer distinct benefits to riders based on their preferences and riding styles. Long stems provide better control, while short stems offer quicker maneuverability. Explore the infographic below to understand the differences between the stems to help you choose the one that best suits your riding requirements.
- Best Bikes For Teens To Ride
- Best Sports Bras To Wear While Running
- Best Bedwetting Alarms To Detect Moisture
- Best Lawn Mower Blades For Home Use