Mouthwash, or mouth rinse, is a liquid product containing antibacterial, antiseptic, odor-neutralizing, and whitening ingredients that clean your mouth, gums, and teeth. It helps kill harmful bacteria and makes your mouth feel minty and fresh. Although mouthwash offers various benefits, it cannot be a substitute for brushing and flossing. However, it is effective when used after your oral care routine of brushing, scraping, and flossing to help clear up any residual particles.
Choose from our list of the best mouthwashes for bad breath to add to your routine.
Top Products From Our List
Types Of Mouthwash
There are two types of mouthwashes:
- Cosmetic mouthwash: It offers a short-term solution that helps cover the bad breath rather than cure it. It contains a mint-flavored ingredient that provides a fresh smell but doesn’t kill the bacteria that causes bad breath.
- Therapeutic mouthwash: This contains plenty of active antiseptic or antibacterial properties that help kill as many bacteria as possible, controlling or reducing conditions like bad breath, plaque, and tooth decay. When combined with your usual oral care habits, therapeutic mouthwash can provide a long-lasting cure for halitosis or bad breath. These are available either over-the-counter or by prescription, depending on their formulation.
11 Best Mouthwashes For Bad Breath
The 16fl. oz bottle of Listerine healthy white mouthwash contains sodium fluoride, a common antiseptic or antibacterial ingredient that helps prevent tooth decay. It also contains hydrogen peroxide that can remove stains, whiten teeth, and clean food particles. Swish ten ml of the mouthwash for one minute after brushing your teeth to create a foaming action that helps deep clean your mouth, teeth, and gums.
- Doesn’t damage enamel
- Offers minty fresh breath
- Helps prevent cavities
- May not be suitable for sensitive teeth
- Taste may not be good
Natural Dentist’s healthy gums mouthwash helps treat bleeding gums and bad breath. Its active ingredient, aloe vera, contains anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antioxidant properties that inhibit the growth of microbes, reduce inflammation and treat gum diseases and other oral issues. This natural mouthwash is free of alcohol, artificial preservatives, colors, flavors, and harsh chemicals.
- Natural and gentle
- Tastes good
- Alcohol-free formula
- Effective for bleeding gums
- Freshens breath
- Taste of aloe vera may be overpowering
Colgate’s total mouthwash provides 12 hours of protection against germs after drinking and eating. The active ingredient, cetylpyridinium chloride, helps reduce bad breath, plaque and prevent gingivitis. You can swish 20ml of the liquid for 30 seconds after brushing for good results.
- Alcohol- and fluoride-free formula
- No burning sensation
- Peppermint flavor
- Clean and fresh breath
- May stain the teeth
The mouthwash’s active ingredient, cetylpyridinium chloride, helps fight bad breath, leaving your mouth feeling clean and fresh. Rinsing your mouth with 20ml of the liquid every day after brushing can help kill germs and provides you with 24-hour protection.
- Mint flavor
- Helps prevent gingivitis
- Helps reduce plaque
- No harsh burns
- May leave an uncomfortable after-taste
- May stain your tongue
Oral-B breath therapy is a scientifically formulated mouthwash that does not contain harsh chemicals, including alcohol, artificial dyes, gluten, parabens, and sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). The special care rinse has a mild mint taste that helps neutralize malodor without causing any discomfort. Hydrogen peroxide, an active ingredient, helps remove tiny food particles by creating a bubbly texture in your mouth. Additionally, it also helps eliminate stains to whiten your teeth.
- Helps treat mouth sores
- Pleasant taste
- Refreshing breath
- Not suitable for people with severe oral conditions
- May sting
The fresh breath lemon-mint mouthwash from Oxyfresh is clinically proven and trusted by many dentists. Its patented oxygene and zinc mixture helps neutralize malodor and gives your mouth a fresh feel. Oxyfresh’s mouth rinse is pH-balanced that helps prevent enamel-erosion caused by acidity, and the aloe vera content hydrates your mouth and strengthens your gums. Infused with essential oils, including bergamot, grapefruit, lemon, lime, orange, and spearmint, the mouthwash gives you a clean and fresh breath.
- Non-stinging and gentle
- Free of alcohol, dyes, and artificial flavors
- Antibacterial and antiseptic
- May be too sweet
Closys uses a formula called Cloralstan that helps eliminate the sulfur-producing bacteria, which causes bad breath. Its antimicrobial properties help kill any pathogens that cause oral health problems. As it is unflavored, it neither affects your taste buds nor causes any irritation. If you prefer a little flavor, the mouthwash comes with a flavor dropper and natural concentrated peppermint oil.
- Non-staining formula
- Does not burn
- Balances pH
- Alcohol-,sulfate- and triclosan-free
- May leave a strong after-taste
The all-natural mouthwash from Lumineux is dentist-formulated and clinically proven. It has been certified as non-toxic and does not contain harsh chemicals. With natural ingredients, such as dead sea salt, aloe vera, and basil oil, the mouthwash provides a moisturizing, soothing, and refreshing feel. This 16fl. oz mouthwash kills only the toxins of the bacteria that cause gum disorders and bad breath.
- Effective on sensitive teeth and gums
- Clean and minty feel
- No burning sensation
- Reduces inflammation
- May have a strong taste
Smartmouth’s dentist-formulated and recommended mouthwash helps treat halitosis using its zinc ion technology. It contains two solutions, an oxidizer, and an activator, which combine to release zinc ions that help eliminate and block sulfur gas for 12 hours with every rinse to prevent bad breath.
- Kills harmful bacteria
- Prevents gum disorders
- Money-back guarantee
- May have a strange after-taste
The miracle mouthwash provides complete oral hygiene with its natural ingredients. It contains activated minerals, including calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus, that supply essential nutrients and pure plant extracts, such as mustard seeds and eucalyptus, to strengthen your gums, cleanse and purify your mouth. If you’re suffering from a dry mouth due to pH imbalance, Uncle Harry’s mouthwash can naturally restore your pH levels.
- Helps treat bad breath
- Repairs tooth enamel
- Soothes sore throat
- Pleasant mint taste
- May cause burns if used undiluted
The Act total care mouthwash helps promote healthy teeth, leaving your breath fresh and clean. The active ingredient of the mouthwash is sodium fluoride, an antibacterial and antiseptic that helps strengthen the enamel and prevents tooth decay. It also contains ingredients, such as cetylpyridiniumchloride, which helps kill bacteria and eliminate bad breath.
- Strengthens teeth and gums
- Helps with sensitivity
- Pleasant taste and doesn’t burn
- May cause tooth staining
How To Choose The Right Mouthwash For Bad Breath?
Here are some factors to keep in mind while buying a mouthwash for bad breath.
- Types: If you want short-term relief, cosmetic mouthwash is ideal. If you want a long-term solution that targets bad breath or bleeding gums, you may opt for therapeutic mouthwash.
- Ingredients: Look for ingredients, such as fluoride, hydrogen peroxide, cetylpyridinium chloride, or natural ingredients, including dead sea salt, aloe vera, and natural flavors. Avoid products with high alcohol content as it may dry your mouth and worsen your halitosis.
- Oral concerns: Mouthwash formulas target oral problems such as bad breath, dry mouth, plaque, gingivitis, etc. While most mouthwashes provide overall care, some only target certain oral conditions.
- Flavor: Mouthwashes can have a strong flavor that many don’t like. Choose one with a mild taste, and avoid those with artificial flavors or an abundance of sugar.
- ADA-seal: Look for the ADA seal as this tells you if the product is safe and effective.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What causes bad breath?
There are several potential causes of bad breath, such as excessive smoking, lack of proper dental hygiene, food particles stuck in the teeth, certain medications that treat saliva, mouth, nose, and throat disorders, and certain diseases, including cancer, GERD, and liver failure.
- Are home remedies best for bad breath?
If you’re not suffering from severe oral health conditions, you may opt for good dental hygiene habits such as brushing twice a day, flossing regularly, tongue scraping, and using a mouthwash. You may also try some natural remedies to assist your efforts. However, if the home treatment does not reduce your bad breath, consult your dentist immediately.
- Can mouthwash replace flossing, brushing, and scraping?
No, mouthwash cannot replace brushing, flossing, and scraping, as these are important for your dental health. Instead, mouthwash acts as additional support to your oral care routine to fight off germs.
A complete oral care routine helps kill harmful germs, prevents bad breath and several oral disorders.
If you’re worried about your bad breath, you may look through our list of the best mouthwashes for bad breath to add to your oral hygiene routine.