For visual planners and learners, multicolor pens help visualize and organize information better. These pens are great tools for categorizing information and highlighting important text on paper. The best multicolor pens help take notes, create art projects, add visual interest, and prepare a to-do list. But carrying a whole bunch of these colorful pens can be cumbersome.
Multicolor pens are versatile and have so many uses. They are an ideal addition to your stationery arsenal. So, to help you, we bring you a list of the best ones that let you switch colors in a single pen with a click. Keep scrolling to pick the best ones that meet your needs.
13 Best Multicolor Pens
1. Best For Smooth Writing: Hieno Supplies Multicolor Pens
Hieno Supplies’ six-in-one multicolored ballpoint pen offers six colors in a single pen. Apart from your usual black, blue, and red inks, these pens also include orange, green, and purple inks. The 0.5mm fine point tip allows a smooth and non-clogging writing experience. This retractable ballpoint ink pen lets you effortlessly change colors with a single click. With its clip-on feature, you can slide the pen into your shirt, pants, or bag pockets with ease. This is one of the best multicolor marker pens for color-coding your notes or creating artwork.
- Includes E-book on how to use the pen
- Works as party supplies and stocking stuffer
- Aids in remembering concepts
- Fade-resistant ink
- Easy to switch between colors
- Can be used in classroom and work settings
- Ink may dry out even without usage
- Spring mechanism may not be highly durable
- May not fit in all pencil cases
2. Best With Scented Ink: Raymond Geddes Scent Sibles Multicolor Pen Set
The Raymond multicolour pen set consists of six different colored inks that are suitable for various applications. These multicolor highlighter pens with a retractable design are easy to use and come in six colors, including blue, green, purple, red, pink, and orange. The high-quality inks are infused with scents of watermelon, cinnamon, peanut butter, grape, pickle, and root beer. These fun and interesting multicolor coloring pens can be used for writing, journaling, doodling, or drawing purposes, enabling you to create beautiful and inspiring artwork that smells amazing too.
- Vibrant inks
- Offers a comfortable grip
- Transparent and stylish body
- Smooth ink flow
- Some scents might be overpowering
3. Best For Easy Grip: Favide Multicolor Ballpoint Pen
Favide’s multicolor ballpoint has a stylish, lightweight, black shell cover, and its retractable feature lets you switch between four vibrant colors–black, blue, red, and green–with a single click. The 0.7mm point tip gives you nice, even lines, and its ribbed design offers an easy grip. The multicolor click pen has a clip-on that lets you easily fasten the pen to pockets and notebooks.
- Great for use with a planner
- Lightweight and quality finish
- Cushioned grip for comfort
- Refillable ink
- Some may find the pen to be delicate
- Retractable function may not fail with time
Best For Smooth Writing
Best With Scented Ink
Best For Easy Grip
|Hieno Supplies Multicolor Pens||Raymond Geddes Scent Sibles Multicolor Pen Set||Favide Multicolor Ballpoint Pen|
|Dimensions||8.27 x 0.79 x 5.91 inches||5.5 x 6.12 x 3.75 inches||5.51 x 1.97 x 0.79 inches|
|Weight||6.4 ounces||8.1 ounces||1.77 ounces|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best For Shading: Zebra Multi Color Multi-Functional Pen
Zebra’s multi-functional pen is ideal for shading. You will find four colored refills–blue, black, red, and green–and a mechanical pencil. Both the pen and pencil have a 0.5mm point type that offers fine and smooth lines. Its ribbed, rubberized grip makes it easy to hold, while its clip facility lets you secure the pen to pockets and notebooks. Check out this product testing video to learn more about the pen’s usefulness.
- Great writing choice for teens
- Clip feature holds onto any book/journal
- Available in three colors
- Lightweight build at 0.001oz
- Small parts may pose a choking hazard
- Ink may not be easy to erase
5. Best Anti-Fading Ink: Jpsor Multicolor Ballpoint Pen
Jpsor offers one of the best multicolor drawing pens for coloring books or highlighting notes. Besides the standard colored inks of black, blue, green, and red, the pen contains additional orange and purple colors inside its transparent barrel. The pen barrel has a spring-retractable design that lets you change colors with a press of the button. It has a 0.5mm refill point tip that offers solid lines with perfect thickness. The anti-fading ink maintains your notes and artwork for a long time.
- Ink does not bleed
- Works well for DIY or artistic projects
- Quality multicolor school pen
- Smooth clicking sounds while changing colors
- Great for creating color-coded texts
- May not be easy to refill
- Ink flow may not be constant
6. Best Portable: TecUnite Multicolor Ballpoint Pen
Here’s one of the best multicolor calligraphy pens by TecUnite. You’ll find four colors: blue, black, green, and red, each within a single pen. You can use this pen while traveling as it is portable and comes with a keychain buckle that lets you hang the pen to bags, pockets, etc. The quality-tested pen also comes with a sturdy white shell and a rubberized grip for a comfortable writing experience.
- Easy to change between colors
- Works well for sketching
- Great for creating fine lines
- Suitable gifting option for children
- Clip may not be durable
- Ink filters may fade with time
7. Best Retractable Design: Jovitec Multicolor Pen
Jovitec retractable four-in-one ballpoint pen is an efficient and convenient solution for your daily work. It has a spring design that lets you switch between different vibrant colors- blue, black, red, and green inks instantly. The 0.7mm point tip provides you fine and sleek lines that make your writing look elegant. The multicolor fine liner pen has a stylish, thick, black shell with a ribbed, rubberized grip, and a clip that lets you attach your pen to notebooks and pockets.
- Does not smear upon usage
- Solid and smooth lines while writing
- Does not slip upon usage
- Sturdy but lightweight build
- Ink may be lighter than expected
- May run out of ink quickly
8. Best For Doodling: Mr. Pen Multicolor Pen
Mr. Pen’s multicolor pen has a unique barrel, where the upper half is transparent, and the lower half has attractive colors. Each pen contains five colored inks: blue, black, green, red, and pink. It has a 0.7mm point tip that offers neat and even lines, making it a reliable option for doodling, note-taking, bullet journaling, and more. The multicolor bullet journal pen has a thin and sleek design that provides a comfortable feel while writing.
- Fluid ink for clean writing till the end
- Works well for color-coding
- Does not smear upon usage
- Smooth and skip-free finish
- Ink my dry on the tip
- Pen may not be highly durable
9. Best For Children: Shuttle Art Multicolor Pen
Shuttle Art’s six-in-one multicolor art pen has an assortment of blue, black, green, red, orange, and purple inks in a single pen. This pen has a retractable design where you can change the color with a push of a button. It has a 0.7mm point tip, which offers a smooth glide and is suitable for everyday writing or color-coding your notes, drawing, doing art projects, marking tasks, etc. This multicolor note-taking pen is suitable for all ages, including children, as it is non-toxic and acid-free.
- Smudge- and smear-proof ink
- Conforms to ASTM safety standards
- Ink does not dry upon usage
- Great for decorating greeting cards
- Makes great party favors or stocking stuffers
- Pen may wiggle with time
- Colors to not be highly vibrant
10. Best For Drawing Thin Lines: Szsrcywd Multicolor Pen
The multicolor retractable highlighter pen from Szsrcywd comes in a transparent barrel that looks simple yet stylish. Its six-in-one assortment lets you write in blue, black, red, green, orange, and purple inks without changing the pen. The retractable mechanism of the multicolor writing pen enables you to conveniently switch between colors with a click of a button.
- Suitable for note making
- Eliminates the need to carry multiple pens
- Great multicolor office pen
- Delivers thin lines, thanks to its 0.5mm tip
- Can be fastened onto books, folders, and pockets
- Refills may not lock on effectively
- May not be highly durable
11. Best Water-Resistant: Eeoyu Multicolor Pen
The Eeoyu pen comes in a transparent plastic barrel with a retractable spring that lets you switch between colors with a push of the button. A practical and ergonomic design, it is a six-in-one pen with black, blue, red, orange, green, and purple inks in the same pen. This 0.5mm broad point tip multicolor doodle pen provides those bold, solid lines if you want moderately thick lines. The high-quality ink used in the refills is water-resistant and fade-proof, so you don’t have to worry about losing your work.
- Great for coloring books
- Ink does not bleed on paper
- Works as a great party favor
- Available in five different counts
- Ink flow may not be very smooth
12. Best For Gifting: Cmecial Unicorn Multicolor Pen
Cmecial’s unicorn multicolor pen makes a perfect gift for children who love unicorns and drawing. The multicolor bullet point pen has an adorable plastic and metal blend barrel with a unicorn sticker at the bottom and a unicorn head at the top. You’ll find these pens in multiple colors, with each pen offering ten multicolored ink refills. Besides the standard black, red, and green, the pen also has orange, yellow, light blue, dark blue, brown, purple, and pink inks. The 0.5mm point tip offers smooth and fine lines ideal for drawing and note-taking.
- Comes in a case to prevent scattering
- Made of non-toxic and high-quality materials
- Works great as a gifting option
- Available in a dinosaur variant
- Safe for children above three years
- Unicorn head may not withstand rough use
- Click mechanism may get stuck over time
13. Best Lightweight: Hutou Multicolor Pen
The tried-and-tested pen has a simple yet strong, lightweight, transparent plastic barrel with a ribbed grip that provides comfort while writing. If you want a mix of colors for highlighting your notes, color-coding your task list, creating a to-do list, or doing an exciting art project, this pen can help as it offers six colors in a single pen. You’ll find a combination of bright and dark inks of blue, black, red, green, orange, and purple in this multicolor pen set. The 0.5mm fine point tip provides a smooth ink flow without any clogs, producing neat and solid lines.
- Refills are easy to replace
- Can be used as a goodie bag filler
- Great gift for high-school students
- Easy to attach/remove the clip from the lanyard
- Plastic tip may not be durable enough
- Lines may be slightly thinner than expected
How To Choose The Right Multicolor Pen?
Here are some factors to keep in mind while buying a multicolor pen.
- Application: It is essential to determine what you need it for – is it for your daily general writing, an art project, or something else. Accordingly, choose the right one suitable for your requirements.
- Tip: If you want a pencil-thin font, consider using tips less than 1.0mm. Conversely, you may choose a 1.0mm tip or above if you’re looking for a thick font.
- Design: Design is a crucial factor when it comes to choosing any pen. Look for a pen with a good design and a soft grip that allows comfortable writing.
- Ink quality: Choosing a pen with high-quality ink that doesn’t smudge or fade and is water-proof is an ideal pick. Consider a pen with non-toxic ink if you’re purchasing it for a child.
Carina Lawson, an efficiency consultant, office needs expert, and the founder of Ponderlily Paper & Planners, says, “Multicolor pens are super fun to use and have a nostalgic aura about them. Choose a pen that offers the right number of color options to color-code to your heart’s content.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
A multicolor pen is always on the list of every stationery lover and collector. Here, Wedetso Chirhah, our experienced writer and reviewer of home and office products, lists the best multicolor pens that will give you a smooth and colorful writing experience. The listed products are picked after scouring several consumer reviews across different e-commerce websites. He has mentioned the specifications of each product and included a buyer’s guide to help you make the right choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the advantages of using multicolor pens?
Multicolor pens ensure easy note taking, helping you stay focused on the current task and speeding up the process of note taking. They help in easy switching of colors, especially when note taking, and make the notes attractive. They are also effective when you are drawing a flow chart or a diagram. In addition, you can carry one pen instead of carrying seven to eight colored pens.
2. How can I refill my multicolor pen?
Unscrew the multicolor pen. Pull out the old refill that is of no use and replace it with a new refill in the same slot. Tighten the pen parts. Your pen is now ready to use. Follow the brand-specific instructions if they are a bit different.
3. What are the most popular pen colors in a multicolor pen?
Multicolor pens come with four, six, eight, or nine color refills. Red, black, blue, green are the most popular ink colors.
4. Can I use all the colored refills at the same time in a multicolor pen?
No, you can’t, because the pen comes with a mechanism where you can use one color at a time. If you try to use all the colors at a time, the spring in the pen may get jammed.
5. How can I fix my multicolor pen?
Keep the pen in a neutral position with no color selected. Unscrew the halves. Pull out the refills. Find the part that’s obstructing you from writing from the exposed part. Replace the part if it got damaged. Tighten the screw and scribble to check if it’s working as desired.
6. How do multicolor pens work?
Multicolor pens work on the spring mechanism, and it depends on gravity to pull the ink downward. These pens do not work upside down.
If you love pens and are looking for some cool options to add to your collection, the multicolor pens listed here might be what you need. The best multicolor pen is not just versatile, but also eliminates the need to carry several pens. Pick one after considering the material quality, the number of ink colors available, and the design. You can also pick a pen that offers a non-clogging writing experience like the Hieno Supplies Multicolor Pens does, or pick one with a comfortable grip, similar to the Favide Multicolor Ballpoint Pen. You may also pick versatile options such as Raymond Geddes Scent Sibles Multicolor Pen Set, suitable for writing and art projects. Moreover, ensure the ink is smudge-proof, waterproof, and non-toxic.
- Best Paint Markers For Kids
- Best Markers To Write On Glass
- Best Playpens For Babies
- Best Chalk Markers
- Best White Pens