Coloring the hair is a standard practice if you want to hide your gray hair or make a style statement. No wonder, many people are trying out different hair colors and highlights. However, using artificial dyes often end up making the hair dull, dry, and devoid of life. This is where the best natural hair dyes come in.
Natural hair dyes provide gentler action on the hair and scalp. Made from naturally sourced ingredients, they have minimal side effects. Keep scrolling as we have listed some of the best eco-friendly and chemical-free hair dyes for you to choose from.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Natural Hair Dyes To Buy
Garnier’s nourishing cream is formulated with three types of fruit oils, including olive, avocado, and shea butter, making the hair dye safe to use. The product is composed of the cream developer, fruit oil ampoule, nourishing conditioner, and nourishing color lotion and ensures optimal natural hair coloring results. You may check this video for a better understanding of this product.
- Colors even dark hair
- Offers 100% gray coverage
- Adds shine and smoothness to hair
- Non-drip crème formulation
- May not deliver the promised hair color
Naturtint permanent hair color does not contain heavy metals, resorcinol, parabens, sulfates, etc. The hair color is formulated with plant ingredients derived from olives, oleic acid, and meadowfoam seed oil to nourish and make the hair soft and shiny. Naturtint offers 32 different mixable shades to provide the bright color of your choice. This video review will help you learn more about the product.
- Ammonia-free composition
- 100% vegan
- Promises complete gray coverage
- May not be safe for sensitive skin and scalp
A non-toxic hair dye, Tints is made of 95% natural ingredients and more than 75% organic ingredients. This is one of the best organic hair color products that can effectively cover grays and nourish the hair. The product does not contain ammonia, parabens, DEA, silicones, and propylene glycol. The hair color is available in 24 stunning shades from black, brown, red, and blonde.
- Free from ammonia and parabens
- Dermatologically tested formulation
- Easy to apply and mix
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- May cause hair fall
Made from naturally extracted ingredients, ONC 1N Black promises vibrant color and healthy hair. Rich in aloe vera, argan oil, chamomile, coconut oil, orange extracts, and vitamins, it is a natural choice to color your hair. One of the healthiest hair dyes guarantees salon-quality results at home.
- Ammonia free
- Cruelty-free, vegan composition
- Gentle on scalp and hair
- Adds shine and softness to hair
- May not cover the grays effectively
Herb Speedy herbal hair color is made from natural ingredients. Use this chemical-free hair dye to dye gray hair without the fear of having eye or scalp irritation. The product is specially formulated to minimize allergy symptoms and prevent discoloration caused by ultraviolet rays.
- Ammonia- and PPD-free
- Offers sun protection
- Suitable for sensitive scalp
- Odorless formulation
- Prevents hair loss
- Color may bleed
Naturcolor organic hair coloring is handcrafted with Italian pigments made from pure natural plant extracts to give hair a natural color. You can use it repeatedly without worrying about damaging your hair as it is a chemical-free formula that can effectively cover all grays.
- Quick and easy to use
- Safe to use on colored or treated hair
- Free from resorcinol, ammonia, and parabens
- Long lasting
- May cause allergic reactions
The organic black hair dye from one of the most reliable brands can increase hair volume and provide gentle care. The powdered herbal hair dye is dermatologically tested and suitable for hypoallergic people. Indus Valley uses ECO-certified and USDA certified organic ingredients, which are gentle on the skin.
- 100% botanical formulation
- Created for sensitive skin
- Not tested on animals
- Helpful in treating dandruff and hair fall
- Improves scalp health
- Certified as Bio-Natural
- Application can be time-consuming
The instant hair dye allows you to color quickly and gives you shiny locks. Apply the shampoo to wet hair and wash it off after five to ten minutes of massaging. The hair dye can last for more than 30 days.
- Easy to use
- Covers grays
- Repairs hair damage
- May have an unpleasant smell
A blend of organic haircare herbs, Radico gently colors the hair without the effect of any synthetic chemicals. The hair color is specially formulated to suit the needs of sensitive skin. It is long-lasting and vibrant, suitable for men and women.
- Covers gray hair
- Nourishes hair
- Prevents hair breakage
- Makes hair healthy and lustrous
- Ecocert certified hair color
- May not be easy to apply
Use this henna powder from one of the most reliable organic hair color brands to color your hair confidently. Cosmic Element is a mixture of natural ingredients and does not contain chemicals. The color powder is designed to condition your hair and make it easy to manage, creating a completely natural hair color. Keep your scalp balanced by clean with this organic formula.
- Vegan powder
- Non-GMO formulation
- Promotes hair growth
- Repairs split ends
Use this permanent hair color to style your locks with natural ash shades. Made from eight different organic herbal ingredients, it can promote hair tone, give hair vitality and nourishment. The organic hair color has been dermatologically and clinically tested.
- Ammonia-free formulation
- Improves overall health of hair
- Promises long-lasting results
- Non-GMO and gluten-free
- May not be suitable for sensitive skin
How To Choose The Right Natural Hair Dye?
Dyeing your hair can be tricky. To avoid any problems and worry-free hair coloring, consider the following factors:
- Look for natural ingredients: When buying hair dye, read the ingredient list carefully. Choose hair dyes rich in natural ingredients because they are gentle on hair.
- Avoid chemicals: Do not buy products containing ammonia, parabens, PPD, and other chemcials, because they are considered to do the most damage to your hair.
- Look for nourishment: Choose products that contain avocado, shea butter, olive oil, or other essential oil ingredients. These ingredients give the nourishment needed for hair while coloring, keeping them softer and shinier.
- Ease of application: There are many hair dyes, such as gel, crème, powder, etc. Choose products that are easy to use so that you can apply them conveniently at home.
Natural hair dyes can help you look young and make a style statement. They are made of organic ingredients and have minimal side effects. Make sure to pick hair dyes that are long-lasting, easy to use, and are gentle on hair. Also, don’t go for hair dyes that contain chemicals and cause hair fall, an unpleasant smell, or do not cover grays efficiently. Further, it is advised to pick a natural hair dye approved by dermatologists and suits your hair type. You may also go for the one that treats your hair well and repairs split ends too.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag is a writer and editor with a fascination for fashion, skincare, beauty, and hair care. She writes fun, engaging, and well-researched product reviews and recommendations for her readers. Here, she has compiled the best natural hair dyes that can give you the desired hair color without being harsh on your scalp. Poulami strictly adheres to editorial standards and presents her views unbiasedly. She has included the necessary product details and a well-researched buying guide to help you find a suitable product.
- Best Hair Root Touch Up
- Best Pink Hair Dyes
- Best Leave-In Conditioners For Natural Hair
- Best Natural Hair Products