If you think hair care and styling products are meant only for adults, then this post might surprise you. Several brands offer hair products, such as shampoo, conditioner, creams, and even gels, that are safe for kids to use. However, it is essential to look for the right kind of hair care products that are safe for your child’s hair.
In this post, MomJunction has prepared a list of some of the best natural hair products for kids. These products are free from harmful chemicals and contain extracts of natural ingredients.
13 Best Natural Hair Products For Kids
This list of kids’ hair products has been categorized into different categories for your convenience.
Best Natural Hair Shampoos For Kids
If your child hates washing hair because of shampoos that make their eyes burn, then you might want to consider buying a tear-free shampoo like this one. Made with shea butter, coconut oil, and honey, this kids’ shampoo claims to be suitable for wavy, curly, and even coily hair.
- Helps cleanse all types of curly hair
- Nourishes tender curls and waves
- Gently cares for textured hair
- Free of parabens, sulfates, silicones, phthalates, mineral oil, gluten, paraffin, and propylene
- May not suit sensitive scalp
- Has a strong fragrance
- Can cause dryness in hair
Trying to clear the knots and tangles in your child’s hair can be a painful ordeal for the child and also you. This hydrating shampoo claims to help maintain your kid’s curls and keep frizz at bay. It contains quinoa and rice amino acids that help manage the hair better.
- Mild formula gently cleanses hair
- Aloe replenishes curly and wavy hair
- Helps control frizz
- Does not contain paraben, sulfate, phthalate, gluten, soy, dairy, or nuts
- Free of toxins
- Tends to weigh down hair
- Not tear-free formula
- Can make hair greasy
Hair lice is a menace and detrimental to your child’s health. This shampoo from Fairy Tales claims to keep your child protected from this troublesome problem. Formulated with minerals and vitamins, this shampoo cleanses your kid’s hair and protect it from lice.
- Helps repel lice
- Mixture of jojoba, aloe, and chamomile help calm and soothe the scalp
- Does not contain parabens, sulfates, or any harsh chemicals and toxins
- Suitable for all hair types
- Free of gluten, soy, dairy, and nuts
- Contains alcohol
- Makes hair look oily
- Not tear-free formula
Pamper your child’s hair with this shampoo, which comes in a child-safe pump bottle. It claims to not only cleanse your kid’s hair but also leave it feeling soft, smooth, and lustrous.
- Tear-free plant-based formula
- Scented with natural fragrance
- Free of paraben, phthalates, BPA, sulfates, dyes, synthetic fragrances, and toxins
- Does not contain gluten or soy
- Hypoallergenic formula
- Does not detangle hair like a regular conditioner
- Does not lather well
Your child’s curls can now be moisturized and managed better with this shampoo. Infused with the goodness of mango butter and carrot oil, this shampoo claims to make the hair soft and smooth. It can also help replenish dry, brittle hair. Additionally, this set comes with a conditioner.
- Shea butter helps provide hydration and locks in moisture
- Mixture of natural ingredients revitalizes blood cells and boosts hair growth
- Carrot oil helps replenish and rejuvenate damaged hair
- Coconut oil makes hair manageable
- Shampoo tends to leave residue on the scalp
- May not suit thin hair
- Conditioner is thick and makes hair greasy
Best Natural Hair Detanglers For Kids
Detangling the hair and removing knots need not be painful for the child and difficult for you. These detanglers help make the process easier.
Infused with shea butter, coconut oil, and honey, this detangler offers gentle care to curls and waves. The brand claims to detangle hair while making it soft.
- Helps soften hair and make it manageable
- Suitable for textured hair
- Free of harmful chemicals such as mineral oil, sulfates, parabens, and so on
- Can weigh down hair
This brand of natural products for kids was founded and introduced by Jessica Alba. This hair detangler claims to help separate hair strands and control flyaway hair. This vegan formula suits all types of hair.
- Made with argan oil, shea butter, jojoba protein, and quinoa extract, it softens the hair
- Makes hair shiny and smooth
- Has a pleasant, mild orange fragrance
- Free of parabens, silicones, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, dyes, and formaldehyde donor
- Tends to make hair limp and greasy
- May not work on textured and coily hair
This detangler claims to help detangle hair and also moisturize it without weighing it down. It is known for its sweet smell and lightweight formula.
- Coconut, hibiscus, and slippery elm in this detangler help style all types of hair
- Helps rejuvenate hair and make it soft and shiny
- Keeps essential moisture locked into control flyaways and frizz
- Free of sulfate and harsh, skin-irritating chemicals
- Strong fragrance may irritate a sensitive nose
- Using too much product can make hair sticky
A blend of pure Moroccan argan oil, coconut oil, and jojoba oil, this detangler claims to nourish and moisturize hair. It suits all kinds of hair, including damaged and colored hair.
- Effectively detangles hair to make styling easy
- Makes hair soft and shiny
- Helps strengthen hair
- Keeps hair frizz-free
- Tends to leave residue on hair
- May not work on extremely thick hair
Enriched with the benefits of aloe vera, this spray claims to increase hair growth and control hair shed. Curly hair or thin hair, it is suitable for all types of hair.
- Helps make hair soft and tangle-free
- Can make curly and frizzy more manageable
- Lightweight formula suits thin hair too
- Free of parabens, sulfates, toxin, fragrance, formaldehyde, or petrochemicals
- Not tested on animals
- Can dry out the scalp
- May not work on curly hair
Other Hair Styling Products and Leave-in Conditioners For Kids
Textured hair can be difficult to maintain, which is why this curling cream is on our list. Formulated with natural ingredients and free of harsh chemicals, this cream claims to tame frizzy hair and make it soft and smooth.
- Shea butter, coconut oil, and honey present in the cream help soften and strengthen hair
- Has mild watermelon smell
- Free of harsh chemicals such as parabens, mineral oil, sulfate, silicones, phthalates, gluten, paraffin or propylene
- Tends to flatten hair
- Can leave residue
Yes, you read it right. This is a hair gel specially formulated for kids. With aloe as its key ingredient, this gel claims to protect children’s delicate hair and help style it easily.
- Lightweight formula keeps hair greasiness at bay
- Helps control flyaways
- Free of toxins, parabens, sulfate, dye, and fragrance
- Tends to make hair stiff
- Effect does not last long
do+ Little claims to take the ‘plants first’ approach and offer products that are free of harmful chemicals. This leave-in conditioner spray helps boost curls and make hair shiny. It clears of tangles and makes combing and styling easy.
- Coconut and argan oil help hydrate and nourish hair
- Sunflower oil helps control frizz
- Suitable for fine, wavy, and curly hair
- Free of harsh chemicals and endocrine and hormone disruptors
- Strong fragrance may not suit everyone
- Can leave residue on hair
How To Choose The Right Natural Hair Product For Your Child?
A lot of parents do not approve of the idea of using different types of hair products for their children. Seeing this skepticism, brands now offer specially formulated hair care products for kids, made mostly with natural ingredients.
When buying these organic hair products for kids, you can consider these following points to ensure you purchase the most suitable one.
- Chemicals used: Even if the brand claims that the product is ‘natural,’ there is always some amount of chemicals used when making these products. However, several brands avoid harsh and harmful chemicals such as parabens, sulfates, dyes, and so on when formulating these products.
So, check that every product you purchase for your child clearly mentions that it is free from harmful chemicals. Also, go through the ingredients list separately to ensure that it does not contain any kind of chemical or even natural ingredient that your child may be allergic to.
- Hair type: These hair products are often created to suit a certain kind of hair type and solve problems related to that particular hair type. When hunting for hair products, you can check if that particular product will help improve or at least maintain your child’s hair health.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I prepare natural hair products for kids at home?
Yes, you can create natural hair products such as cleansers and conditioners at home. If you see the list above, every product lists several natural ingredients used in its formula. Natural ingredients such as shea butter, aloe, coconut oil, honey, and so on offer multiple skin and hair benefits.
Based on these benefits, you can create your own unique recipe or look for a DIY tutorial online using your preferred ingredients to create a specialized hair product for your child.
2. How often should I use these natural hair products for kids?
Brands often mention if the particular hair product is suitable for regular use or not. This will allow you to decide accordingly. For products that do not mention the frequency, you can use them as and when required. Shampoos and conditioners can be used two to three times a week or more if your child happens to get dirty from playing or swimming too often. Styling products, such as hair gels, are best used sparingly, like once a month.
Your child’s hair is delicate and requires great care and unadulterated nourishment. When buying hair products for them, it is essential that you carefully select the one with the least amount of chemicals. If a product does not suit your child in one or two uses, discontinue it immediately. Do not finish the bottle hoping it will show effects. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
Which hair products do you like using for your child? Or do you believe in preparing homemade hair products for your kid? Do let us know your best hair care tip in the comments section below.