The market is flooded with styling products for kids. But, to maintain your little one’s gorgeous locks, you should always invest in the best natural hair products for kids. These products are specially designed for kids and contain formulations infused with organic and botanical ingredients. They are free of toxins and harmful chemicals that protect your little one’s scalp and prevent breakage. Many hair care brands have created an array of natural styling products like gel, shampoo, conditioner, and creams. Dive into this post for a list of natural hair products that are safe for children.
- 1 Best Tear-Free Cantu Care For Kids Tear-Free Nourishing Shampoo Cantu $4.28 ON AMAZON Read More › $4.28 ON AMAZON
- 2 Best For Controlling Frizz Fairy Tales Curly-Q Daily Hydrating Shampoo For Kids Fairytaleshaircare $10.95 ON AMAZON Read More › $10.95 ON AMAZON
- 3 Best For Preventing Lice Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Daily Kid Shampoo For Lice Prevention Fairytaleshaircare $11.58 ON AMAZON Read More › $11.58 ON AMAZON
- 4 Best Hypoallergenic Fresh Monster 2-in-1 Kids Shampoo & Conditioner Fresh Monster $15.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $15.99 ON AMAZON
- 5 Best Moisturizing SheaMoisture Mango & Carrot Kids’ Extra-Nourishing Shampoo And Conditioner Sheamoisture $19.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $19.99 ON AMAZON
- 6 Best For Curly Hair SoCozy Store Shampoo Socozy $6.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $6.99 ON AMAZON
- 7 Best Detangler Cantu Care For Kids Conditioning Detangler Cantubeauty $3.79 ON AMAZON Read More › $3.79 ON AMAZON
- 8 Best For Controlling Flyaways Honest Conditioning Detangler Carolsdaughter $6.49 ON AMAZON Read More › $6.49 ON AMAZON
- 9 Best Lightweight Formula SheaMoisture Kids Extra-Moisturizer Detangler Sheamoisture $6.69 ON AMAZON Read More › $6.69 ON AMAZON
- 10 Best For All Hair Types Earth Vibes Natural Hair Detangler Us.davines $38 ON AMAZON Read More › $38 ON AMAZON
17 Best Natural Hair Products For Kids
This list of kids’ hair products has been categorized into different categories for your convenience.
Best Natural Hair Shampoos For Kids
1. Best Tear-Free: Cantu Care For Kids Tear-Free Nourishing Shampoo
If your child hates washing hair because of shampoos that make their eyes burn, then you might want to consider buying a tear-free shampoo like these best hair products. Made with shea butter, coconut oil, and honey, this kids’ shampoo claims to provide visible results and is suitable for wavy, curly, and even coily hair. This unbiased review video helps you know more about the kid’s natural hair product.
- Helps cleanse all types of curly hair
- Nourishes tender curls and waves
- Gently cares for textured hair
- Free of parabens, sulfates, silicones, phthalates, mineral oil, gluten, paraffin, and propylene
- May not suit sensitive scalp
- Has a strong fragrance
- Can cause dryness in hair
2. Best For Controlling Frizz: Fairy Tales Curly-Q Daily Hydrating Shampoo For Kids
Trying to clear the knots and tangles in your child’s hair can be a painful ordeal for the child and also you. The Fairy Tales best natural hair shampoos claim to help maintain your kid’s curls and keep frizz at bay. It contains quinoa and rice amino acids that help manage the hair better.
- Mild formula gently cleanses hair
- Aloe replenishes curly and wavy hair
- Helps control frizz
- Does not contain paraben, sulfate, phthalate, gluten, soy, dairy, or nuts
- Free of toxins
- Hydrating hair product
- Tends to weigh down hair
- Not tear-free formula
- Can make hair greasy
3. Best For Preventing Lice: Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Daily Kid Shampoo For Lice Prevention
Hair lice are menace and detrimental to your child’s health. This best natural hair shampoo from Fairy Tales claims to keep your child protected from this troublesome problem. Formulated with minerals and vitamins, this hair-revitalizing shampoo cleanses your kid’s hair and protects it from lice. You may check more about this kid’s hair product from this detailed review video that documents the reviewer’s experience.
- Helps repel lice
- Mixture of jojoba, aloe, and chamomile help calm and soothe the scalp
- Does not contain parabens, sulfates, or any harsh chemicals and toxins
- Suitable for all hair types
- Free of gluten, soy, dairy, and nuts
- Contains alcohol
- Makes hair look oily
- Not tear-free formula
4. Best Hypoallergenic: Fresh Monster 2-in-1 Kids Shampoo & Conditioner
Pamper your child’s hair with the best hair products, which comes in a child-safe pump bottle. It claims to not only cleanse your kid’s hair but also leave it feeling soft, smooth, and lustrous. This video offers an in-depth review of the hair product for toddlers with dry hair.
- Tear-free plant-based formula
- Scented with natural fragrance
- Free of paraben, phthalates, BPA, sulfates, dyes, synthetic fragrances, and toxins
- Does not contain gluten or soy
- Hypoallergenic formula
- Does not detangle hair like a regular conditioner
- Does not lather well
5. Best Moisturizing: SheaMoisture Mango & Carrot Kids’ Extra-Nourishing Shampoo And Conditioner
Your child’s curls can now be moisturized and managed better with this shampoo. Infused with the goodness of top-notch ingredients such as mango butter and carrot oil, this nourishing hair care product from SheaMoisture claims to make the hair soft and smooth. These kid’s hair products for natural hair can also help replenish dry, brittle hair and give it salon-quality shine. Additionally, this set comes with a conditioner to provide exceptional results.
- Shea butter helps provide hydration and locks in moisture
- Mixture of natural ingredients revitalizes blood cells and boosts hair growth
- Carrot oil helps replenish and rejuvenate damaged hair
- Coconut oil makes hair manageable
- Shampoo tends to leave residue on the scalp
- May not suit thin hair
- Conditioner is thick and makes hair greasy
6. Best For Curly Hair: SoCozy Store Shampoo
If you have a curly-haired little one, then the SoCozy Curl Shampoo is meant for you. The shampoo has been infused with nourishing ingredients such as olive oil, keratin, and plum seed oil to restore the curl’s natural balance and make the child’s hair shiny and soft. It also leaves a protective layer of the hair shaft to strengthen the strands and reduce damage from external factors.
- Enhances elasticity
- Soothes the scalp
- Free of dyes and synthetic colors
- Paraben-, sulfate-, and phthalate-free
- Fragrance may be strong for some
- May be slightly greasy
Best Natural Hair Detanglers For Kids
Detangling the hair and removing knots need not be painful for the child and difficult for you. These detangling hair products can help make the process easier.
7. Best Detangler: Cantu Care For Kids Conditioning Detangler
Infused with shea butter, coconut oil, and honey, this leave-in conditioner plus detangler offers gentle care to curls and waves. The professional-grade product claims to detangle hair while making it soft.
- Helps soften hair and make it manageable
- Suitable for textured hair
- Free of toxins and harmful chemicals such as mineral oil, sulfates, and parabens
- Can weigh down hair
8. Best For Controlling Flyaways: Honest Conditioning Detangler
This brand of natural products for kids was founded and introduced by Jessica Alba. This celebrity-endorsed hair detangler claims to help separate hair strands and control flyaway hair. This expertly crafted kid’s natural hair product is vegan and suits all types of hair.
- Made with potent ingredients such as argan oil, shea butter, jojoba protein, and quinoa extract.
- Makes hair shiny and smooth
- Has a pleasant, mild orange fragrance
- Free of parabens, silicones, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, dyes, and formaldehyde donor
- Tends to make hair limp and greasy
- May not work on textured and coily hair
9. Best Lightweight Formula: SheaMoisture Kids Extra-Moisturizer Detangler
The high-performance detangler claims to help detangle hair and also moisturize it without weighing it down. This kid’s hair product is known for its sweet smell and lightweight formula.
- Coconut, hibiscus, and slippery elm in this detangler help style all types of hair
- Helps rejuvenate hair and make it soft and shiny
- Keeps essential moisture locked into control flyaways and frizz
- Sulfate-free and devoid of harsh, skin-irritating chemicals
- Strong fragrance may irritate a sensitive nose
- Using too much product can make hair sticky
10. Best For All Hair Types: Earth Vibes Natural Hair Detangler
A blend of pure Moroccan argan oil, coconut oil, and jojoba oil, makes this one of the best hair products for toddler girls. This natural hair detangler suits all kinds of hair, including damaged and colored hair.
- Effectively detangles hair to make styling easy
- Makes hair soft and shiny
- Helps strengthen hair
- Keeps hair frizz-free
- Not tested on animals
- Tends to leave residue on hair
- May not work on extremely thick hair
Enriched with nourishing ingredients such as aloe vera, this hair product for toddlers with fine hair claims to increase hair growth and control hair shed. Curly hair or thin hair, it is suitable for all types of hair.
- Helps make hair soft and tangle-free
- Can make curly and frizzy more manageable
- Lightweight formula suits thin hair too
- Free of parabens, sulfates, toxin, fragrance, formaldehyde, or petrochemicals
- Not tested on animals
- Can dry out the scalp
- May not work on curly hair
Other Hair Styling Products And Leave-In Conditioners For Kids
Textured hair can be difficult to maintain, which is why this curling cream is on our list. Formulated with natural ingredients and free of harsh chemicals, this cream claims to tame frizz and make the hair shiny, soft, and manageable.
- Shea butter, coconut oil, and honey present in the cream help soften and strengthen hair
- Has mild watermelon smell
- Free of harsh chemicals such as parabens, mineral oil, sulfate, silicones, phthalates, gluten, paraffin or propylene
- Tends to flatten hair
- Can leave residue
Yes, you read it right. This is a hair gel specially formulated for kids. With aloe as its key ingredient, this advanced formula claims to protect children’s delicate hair and help style it easily.
- Lightweight formula keeps hair greasiness at bay
- Helps control flyaways
- Free of toxins, parabens, sulfate, dye, and fragrance
- Tends to make hair stiff
- Effect does not last long
The gentle formula cleans the sensitive baby skin and hair without drying them. It is made with national oat extracts for effective cleaning action and nourishment. This combination of shampoo and body wash for babies is free from soaps, phthalates, parabens, sulfates, and other chemicals. Its rich lather leaves the skin and hair feeling fresh, clean, and light.
- Pediatrician- and dermatologist-recommended
- Hypoallergenic formulation
- Makes skin and hair smooth
- Lightly scented
- May not be tear-free
- May have a thin consistency
For a house with many children, this is the hair styling gel we would recommend since it has no bar on age. The kid’s hair product is highly economical and requires a minimal amount to style, curl or twist any type of hair without any grease.
- Made of natural ingredients like shea butter, coconut oil, and cocoa butter
- Helps detangle hair
- Vegan-friendly product
- Non-GMO, dermatologically tested product
- Has a strong fragrance
Offering fine mist, this mousse spray helps reduce flyways, cowlick and boost the hair volume. The non-dairy product is not greasy, crunchy, or stiff. Since it has no harsh chemicals, it is a safe hair product for kids.
- Ideal for normal hair types
- Has an irresistible fragrance
- Plant-based and free of allergens
- Only ideal for normal hair types
Due to the absence of parabens and sulfates, this is a cream ideal for curly-haired children. In addition, the leave-in conditioner and styling cream is lightweight, thus preventing the sticking of hair while allowing their hair to have a natural bounce.
- Contains natural butter and oils
- BPA, phthalate, and cruelty-free
- Ergonomic design
- Clinically tested formula
- May have an overpowering fragrance
How To Choose The Right Natural Hair Product For Your Child?
A lot of parents do not approve of the idea of using different types of hair products for their children. Seeing this skepticism, brands now offer specially formulated hair care products for kids, made mostly with natural ingredients.
When buying these organic and kid-friendly hair products, you can consider the following points to ensure you purchase the most suitable one.
1. Chemicals used: Even if the brand claims that the product is ‘natural,’ there is always some amount of chemicals used when making these products. However, several brands avoid harsh and harmful chemicals such as parabens, sulfates, dyes, and so on when formulating these products.
So, do an allergy test and check that every product you purchase for your child clearly mentions that it is free from harmful chemicals. Also, go through the ingredients list separately to ensure that it does not contain any kind of chemical or even natural ingredient that your child may be allergic to.
2. Hair type: These hair products are often created to suit a certain kind of hair type and solve problems related to that particular hair type. When hunting for hair products, you can check if that particular product will help improve or at least maintain your child’s hair health.
Barbie Ritzman, a beauty and skincare specialist, says, “Before using any new product on your child’s hair, do a patch test to check for any adverse reactions or sensitivities. You should also consider introducing any new product gradually–observe how your child’s hair and scalp react to the product over a period of time, and discontinue use if you notice any negative effects.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag works as a skin, hair, and beauty product writer. Keeping in mind the challenges and concerns when thinking about any kid’s products and reviewing each product on various platforms, she compiled a collection of the best natural kids’ hair products. She has also included product descriptions and the pros and cons for each and added a buying guide to help you pick the correct hair product for your child.
Your child’s hair is delicate and requires great care and unadulterated nourishment. When buying hair products for them, it is essential that you carefully select the one with the least amount of chemicals. If a product does not suit your child in one or two uses, discontinue it immediately. Do not finish the bottle hoping it will show effects. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I prepare natural hair products for kids at home?
Yes, you can prepare all-natural hair care products such as cleansers and conditioners at home. If you see the list above, every product lists several natural ingredients used in its formula. Natural ingredients such as shea butter, aloe, coconut oil, honey, and so on offer multiple skin and hair benefits.
Based on these benefits, you can create your own unique recipe or look for a DIY tutorial online using your preferred ingredients to create a specialized hair product for your child.
2. How often should I use these natural hair products for kids?
Brands often mention if the particular hair product is suitable for regular use or not. This will allow you to decide accordingly. For products that do not mention the frequency, you can use them as and when required. Shampoos and conditioners can be used two to three times a week or more if your child happens to get dirty from playing or swimming too often. Kids’ hair products for styling, such as hair gels, are best used sparingly, like once a month.
3. How can I moisturize my kids’ natural hair?
Some of the best ways to moisturize your child’s natural hair are to massage the scalp and hair with natural oils, such as olive oil, coconut oil, and jojoba oil before cleansing the hair with shampoo. You can even choose a shampoo and conditioner that have hydrating properties and are made with natural ingredients.
4. How should I maintain my kid’s natural hair?
Kids’ hair needs a good hair care regimen just like adults to maintain healthy natural hair. Do not overwash, as this might strip the natural oils from the hair and makes the hair dry and brittle. Use a gentle hair care product that is free of harsh chemicals, and limit the cleansing to once or twice a week. Regular trimming, deep conditioning, detangling every day, and choosing low-manipulation styles are the key to maintaining natural hair for children.
5. Are kids’ natural hair products better than adults?
Products that are meant for kids generally have gentle formulas when compared to adult hair products. Kids require pH-balanced hair care products that can protect the scalp and hair rather than providing just deep cleansing. On the other hand, adult hair needs more powerful cleansing to remove all the dirt and excess oil from the large pores.
6. Is it okay to use adult hair products on kids?
While there is no ban on using adult hair products for children, it is natural that the child’s hair and skin are gentle and need more protection when compared to adults. Adult hair products that are gentle, made with natural ingredients, and sulfate-, silicone-, and paraben-free are ok to use on kids. However, products specially made for children’s hair are more suitable for them.
7. At what age should my child start using hair products?
There is no age barrier to using hair products. If a hair product is labeled as safe for newborns, you may start using it right from birth per your baby’s hair demands. However, check the product information before starting to use it.
Children have delicate hair that needs optimum nourishment and gentle care. So, be cautious of the hair products you pick for your child. Read the product label and see what chemicals a particular product contains. Compare it with other products and find the best one based on your child’s hair care needs. Our best pick is the Cantu Care For Kids Tear Free Nourishing Shampoo, enriched with the goodness of shea butter, coconut oil, and honey to offer gentle care for children’s hair. The Fairy Tales Rosemary Daily Kid Shampoo infused with skin-soothing ingredients works well to prevent lice while ensuring proper cleansing and scalp care. For extra nourishment and intense hydration, we suggest the SheaMoisture Mango and Carrot Kid’s Shampoo and Conditioner. Carefully read their descriptions and pros and cons before your purchase to make the best choice.
Infographics: Hair Care Rules To Follow
Hair care goes beyond hair products and involves specific preventive measures. Apart from using child-friendly natural hair products, it’s necessary to know when and how to use them. Therefore, check out the following infographic to learn the hair care and hygiene rules for children.