If you lead an active lifestyle and are into workouts, you might already know the importance of recovery and relaxation. The best neck massagers can make these possible in the comfort of your home. Using a neck massager is a cost-effective and time-saving alternative to visiting a spa or booking an at-home massage service. Most neck massagers come with customizable settings that allow you to control the intensity of the massage based on the intensity of pain.
If you’re ready to pamper yourself with an at-home self-massage session, we’re here to help you in your quest to find the right neck massager. Keep scrolling to find some high-performance options to relax your body and unwind after an active day.
Are Neck Massagers Safe?
- Neck massagers, while helpful in relieving muscle soreness, are not recommended for use when you have broken bones, skin irritation, or a condition that results in inflammation.
- One of the safety hazards associated with neck and shoulder massagers is fire due to overheating. However, when you use a neck massager with overheating protection, it prevents such mishaps.
- Using a neck massager too frequently or in the absence of pain can strain certain body muscles. Therefore, a massager should be used only to alleviate muscle tightness, soreness, and acute pains.
Types Of Neck Massagers
The following are some of the common types of neck massagers.
1. Kneading massage pillows
A kneading massage pillow is designed to fit around your neck like a pillow. These massagers feature kneading massage nodes that target the muscles to relieve pain.
2. Percussive massagers
A percussive massager is a drill-like device that sends soft and fast blows to the muscles to release muscle tension.
3. Massage balls
A massage ball is a manual massager similar to a foam roller. You can hold the massage ball in your hand and control the pressure with which you press it against a certain area of your body for pain relief.
4. TENS devices
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation devices are battery-powered, and they are designed to deliver an electrical impulse to relieve muscle pain and soreness.
Benefits Of Neck Massagers
The following are some benefits of using neck massagers.
- Neck massagers help reduce pain in a natural way as opposed to having painkillers frequently.
- They’re designed to target the muscles in hard-to-reach areas.
- They help improve blood circulation.
- Neck massagers are made to be portable, which means you can carry them with you anywhere you go and manage muscle pain and stress effectively.
- They can also be used to loosen stiff muscles and relieve muscle soreness after a workout session.
Our Top Picks
13 Best Neck Massagers
Bid adieu to acute pains with this self-neck massager that offers a deep and relaxing massage with its 3D kneading nodes. The shiatsu massager targets deep spots under the skin to offer relief from muscle tension and soreness. It is easy to use as it comes with a manual and buttons to regulate the heat, direction, speed, and power. Designed like a neck pillow, this neck massager is comfortable, and you can also control the speed and direction of the massage.
- Can be used for full body massage
- Features an auto-shutoff function
- Comes with a carry bag for portability
- Includes a car adapter
- Does not work without being plugged into a power source
The Zyllion shiatsu electric neck massager with four massage nodes has been specially designed to ease muscle tension after workouts and physical activity. Its small size and compact design allow you to carry it along when traveling or hitting the gym. This versatile neck massager is ergonomically designed to contour your body, and thus, it can also be used to massage your calves, thigh muscles, abdomen, and upper and lower back. You can enjoy a safe, deep massage when you use this massager with overheat protection and advanced heating function. All you need to do is plug it into a 110-120V or 220-240V electrical outlet.
- Features 3D kneading nodes
- Auto-shutoff function
- Features adjustable straps for chairs
- Outer fabric may not be durable
This foldable neck and shoulder massager has your back when you’re dealing with muscle soreness and stiff neck. With three speed levels and an advanced soothing heat function, you can control the intensity of the massage based on the intensity of your pain. Moreover, the neck massager is convenient to use as it comes with long handle straps that can be maneuvered to adjust the position of the massager. Get ready to melt away muscle stress with this versatile neck and back massager that features multiple kneading nodes.
- Features eight massage nodes
- Features overheating auto-shutoff function
- Made of high-quality PU leather and breathable mesh fabric
- Features breathable mesh fabric
- Some might find the straps a tad short
If body ache is something you deal with quite often, you need the best neck and shoulder massager like this one by InvoSpa. The versatile massager can also be used for legs, waist, foot, thighs, calves, upper back, and lower back. It features bi-directional movement control, and the massage nodes automatically reverse the direction every sixty seconds for better distribution of massage effects and superior relief from pain and muscle tension. Moreover, this massager comes with an easy-to-reach control panel and a portable carry bag and is available in several colors.
- Features four big and four small nodes
- Provides deep tissue massage
- Features three speed strength levels
- Can be used with or without the heating function
- Durable and portable
- Material may have a peculiar vinyl smell when new
The Mirakel shiatsu neck massager has been designed to offer you quick relief from muscle soreness and improve blood circulation with its eight efficiently-functioning kneading heads with bi-directional movement. The massager allows you to opt for bi-directional or unidirectional massage with a simple switch. Made of breathable and soft PU leather and linen, this massager is a suitable option if you prioritize comfort. Besides, the massager comes with optional infrared heating and has a lightweight build.
- Built-in heating function
- Maximum heat penetration
- Auto power-off function
- Three adjustable intensity levels
- Short power cords
Get ready for a relaxing massage session right in the comfort of your home with this massager that comes with eight 3D shiatsu deep-kneading nodes that rotate. The massager targets specific acupressure points to ease tight muscles and has an ergonomic U-shape design, making it ideal for use in your car, home, or office. This neck and shoulder massager relieves pain and tension from various muscles of the different body parts and helps improve blood circulation. Furthermore, it comes with overheating protection, and the removable intensity control flap is washable.
- Dustproof cover
- Multipurpose handle belt for easy adjustment
- Comes with an optional heating function
- Automatic shut-off after 15 minutes for safe use
- Some may find it heavy
Get ready to destress after a strenuous workout or a long day at work with this neck and shoulder massager by Renpho. With heat functions that can be switched on or off, the massager offers relief from muscle tightness and soreness and releases pressure from different trigger points. The kneading massage nodes are designed to simulate the movements of a hand massage, thus leaving you feeling relaxed. You can use it for different body parts, such as the neck, back, legs, and waist, and the massager comes with an auto shut-off function for safety.
- Features intensity, direction, and heat controls
- High-quality copper motor
- Waterproof and breathable PU leather
- Easy to clean
- Snug body fit
- Might not be suitable for light massages
The user-friendly Medcursor neck massager features four buttons for on/off, direction control, speed levels, and heat control. It is made of eco-friendly and skin-friendly PU leather and mesh fabric and has a quiet working status, making it one of the best neck massagers. With three speed options and bi-directional rotation, this massager lets you experience a personal masseur-like massage. While the highest temperature goes up to 45℃, it features overheat protection, making it a safe device.
- Portable adapters
- 15-minute auto-shutdown mechanism
- Eight kneading massage heads
- Features auto-reverse rotation
- Short power cord
You no longer have to go through the hassle of visiting a spa for a good massage when you invest in the Comfier neck and shoulder massager. It alleviates acute muscle aches, soreness, tightness, and muscle stress with its active heat function and targets every muscle of the affected body part. The massager is soft and has an ergonomic U-shape design to contour the body, thus allowing you to massage different body parts. It is built to last and comes with a two-year warranty.
- Convenient heat, direction, and power buttons
- Features multipurpose arm straps
- Includes eight rotating massage nodes
- Features a removable and washable intensity control flap
- May be slightly bulky
Say yes to cordless convenience with this neck massager by Etekcity, which makes it easy to use on the go. It features a high-quality battery and three speed levels to optimize the setting as per your requirements. Whether you’re looking for a massager for yourself or a gift for a family member or friend, you can’t go wrong with this intelligent neck massager. It provides effective relief from stiff neck, backaches, leg aches, and stiffness and soreness in the arms.
- Eight bi-directional kneading rollers
- Battery life of up to three hours
- Two heating levels
- Durable material
- Breathable mesh cover and cloth wrap
- Some might find it big and bulky
If you’re looking for a head-to-toe massage at home, investing in the Vellax shiatsu massager is a good idea. The rotating kneading massage heads, along with three optimal speed levels, help relieve the muscles of tightness and tension. The ergonomic massager comes in a carry bag, making it portable and convenient when you’re out and about. Furthermore, the durable outer PU leather layer and the soft and breathable mesh fabric on the inside make this product good value for money.
- Easy to operate
- Auto shut-off function
- Portable and versatile design
- Features two Velcro straps
- Low noise operation
- May not be ideal for those with a small body frame
This premium neck massager is all about advanced technology, with multiple controls and a cordless design, making it easy to use anywhere. Whether you’re tackling pain from poor posture or muscle tension from over-exertion, this massager comes to your rescue. It features 3D magnetic electrode pads that emit electric current at a minimal intensity for pain relief. And the wireless remote makes operating this massager even more convenient.
- Fifteen levels of intensity and six massage modes
- Four-point thermostatic hot compress mechanism
- One-hour fast charging and large-capacity battery
- U-shaped ergonomic design
- Made of skin-friendly material
- May not be suitable for deep massage
The Deestop neck massager is a one-stop solution if you need a full-body self-massage. Its bidirectional massage balls simulate hand massage movements and offer deep tissue kneading massage. It comes with an optional heat mechanism, which can be opted for when you experience muscle tightness. The built-in overheat protection mechanism of the massager makes it a safe choice. Besides, it is lightweight and easy to carry, so you can use this neck and shoulder massager at home, office, and even in your car.
- Fifteen-minute auto-shutoff function
- Offers circular massage
- Auto-reverse rotation
- Features a six-foot-long AC power adapter
- Speed, heat, and direction control buttons
- Fabric may not be durable
How To Choose The Right Neck Massager?
Keep the following factors in mind to pick the right neck massager.
- Speed and direction controls: A neck massager that offers you multiple speed levels and bi-directional massaging allows for personalized settings that meet your needs.
- Heat setting: Heat can help relieve intense muscle soreness more effectively. So, it would help if you opt for a neck massager that gives you the option of using heat therapy to alleviate pain.
- Portability: Portability is a feature worth considering if you have muscle aches more frequently. A portable and lightweight massager can be carried to the gym or office and can also come in handy when traveling.
- Ergonomic design: A neck massager with an ergonomic design sits snugly around the neck, shoulders, or calves and helps you target specific body muscles more efficiently.
- Cordless design: If you plan to use your neck massager on the go, such as when traveling or camping, opt for a rechargeable cordless neck massager.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah is an experienced writer and researcher who covers household, electronics, and automobile segments. In this article, he has listed the best neck massagers after doing intensive research and taking user ratings and reviews into account. He has also referred to various websites and forums to bring you a list of feature-rich products that help keep neck and shoulder aches at bay. Wedetso has also included a useful buying guide and answered several frequently asked questions to help readers make an informed choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long should I use a neck massager?
A neck massager should not be used for more than twenty minutes as it may add to the strain and do more harm than good. Moreover, neck massagers with heat function have a chance of overheating when the massager is used for over fifteen minutes.
2. Can I get a neck massage when pregnant?
While it is safe to get a neck massage during pregnancy, it is best to avoid using electric neck massagers as they may fail to deliver the desired pressure.
3. Can I use a neck massager every day?
It is recommended to use a neck massager only when you experience pain or soreness, as frequent usage of a neck massager can strain the delicate muscles of the neck and worsen the pain.
Life becomes easier when you choose the right neck massager to manage neck and shoulder aches, as you have more freedom of movement. Finding the best neck massagers requires a good understanding of the main features of these devices, such as speed settings, direction settings, cordless versus corded design, and the number of kneading massage nodes. Once you find a neck massager loaded with these features and the added benefit of being portable, you can take your massager along and indulge in a relaxing massaging session irrespective of where you are.
- Best Back Massager For Chairs
- Best Hand Massagers
- Best Cellulite Massagers
- Best Massage Pads For Chairs
View Profile ›