Nerf guns come with foam-based rounded darts that are safe for children to play with. Hasbro, the manufacturers of Nerf guns, claims that these guns are also tested rigorously to meet the global standards of safety when it comes to children’s toys.
However, these toys should only be bought for kids of the specified age group as recommended by the manufacturer.
MomJunction gives you a list of the best Nerf guns for kids, considered to be unique according to their reviews and ratings. But before you buy one for your child, it is important to understand the safety measures to follow when playing with these toys.
Safety Tips While Using Nerf Guns
Keep the following precautions in mind while your children are playing with Nerf guns:
- Teach them to hold the gun properly and aim so that they do not hit someone accidentally
- Explain how to load the barrel correctly
- Never aim the gun at another person’s eyes or face, or other sensitive parts
- Do not look down the barrel even if it is not loaded
- Keep the finger off the trigger and point it towards the ground until they are ready to aim the target
- Do not leave the gun loaded
- Wear eyeglasses and face mask for safety
Most importantly, you must make your child understand that playing with toy guns is merely for fun and sport, while real guns are extremely dangerous and not meant for use by children.
17 Best Nerf Guns For Kids
The NERF N-Strike Elite Triad Ex-3 toy gun is compact and easy to use. It offers three-barrel blasting and activates only when the darts are placed in each of the barrels. It is recommended for kids aged eight years and above.
- Has a three-dart blaster
- Made of smart technology that tells you which barrel is loaded.
- The darts could be fired up to 90 feet
- Fires three darts in a row quickly
- Cocking the handle enables the shot
Available in simple brown packaging, this blaster has a modular design that allows attaching and detaching the parts of the gun to enhance its performance. It is recommended for children above eight years.
- Can create more than 30 combinations
- Kids can customize their blaster
- Blaster includes ten darts and a banana clip
- Darts fire up to 90 feet
- Includes targeting scope, drop grip, dual-rail barrel, and a storage stock
This may be one of the best Nerf guns for kids owing to its advanced design and performance. It is known to deliver extreme accuracy, distance, and speed. The comprehensive design enables the darts to fly farthest.
- Blaster has a 25-dart capacity and includes 25 ultra darts
- Darts feature Aerofin technology, an innovative flight tip, and lightweight foam
- Darts can fire up to 120 feet
- High-capacity drum enables firing over two dozen darts in a row
- Compatible with only Nerf ultra darts
The Nerf N-Strike Elite Jolt Blaster is small but offers super stealth basting. The barrel could be loaded with only one dart at once and reloaded after you fire it.
- Micro-size blaster with a single barrel
- Comes with two elite darts
- Compact and easy to use
- High-firing performance
The Nailbiter Zombie Strike Blaster offers a fast-firing option with no priming and can be customized for enhanced performance. From the Zombie Strike range of Nerf guns, this one may be a great toy for kids with an active imagination and aids role play games.
- Blaster with eight dart capacity
- Comes with eight Zombie strike elite darts
- Reloading the gun is not required
- The dart clip automatically indexes the next dart
- Part of the Zombie Strike Survival System of blasters and accessories
This Gun N-strike blaster from Nerf is a cool toy for long-distance shooting. It is a double-barreled gun and produces a more significant impact on firing the darts together. There is an option to switch to slam fire mode and shoot the darts quickly.
- Smoothly fires two darts at once
- Fires darts up to 75 feet
- Launches up to eight mega darts without reloading
- Available in different color combinations of white, orange, or gray
It is another kids’ Nerf gun that is compact and can be taken anywhere. The micro size blaster is easy to carry in pockets and backpacks. The built-in dart storage also makes it easy to store and use.
- Single-dart blaster
- Comes with three Nerf Elite darts
- Can fire one dart a time
- Built-in area to store two additional darts
- Available in red and blue colors; each sold separately
The Nerf N-Strike Elite RaptorStrike is a part of the AccuStrike series that creates darts with higher accuracy. It comes with an extendable bipod that is used for adjusting the height to aim accurately.
- Blaster contains two six-dart clips
- Comes with 18 darts
- Compatible with Nerf Elite darts
- Pop-up site for aiming the target
- Recommended for kids aged eight years and above
The AlphaPoint Laser Ops Pro Blaster offers kids’ everything they need in a head-to-head live-action battle. The blaster comes with light and sound effects, a quick-reload button, unlimited ammo, and indicators for ammo, health, and more.
- Two laser ops pro blasters that require batteries (not included)
- Fires a single shot at a time
- Option to track your performance by connecting to a smart device (not included)
- Two armbands to hold the smart device
- Indoor and outdoor switch to adjust to the environment
A good little gun that shoots far with accuracy, this Nerf N-strike bow strike blaster could help your kid win the competition. All they need to do is to pull the handle to locate the target for shooting.
- Blaster has one barrel
- Includes three darts
- Blaster could fire one dart at a time
- Bow arms open and the sight flips up
- Recommended for ages eight and above
Your child would love to use this Doomlands blaster when their imagination takes them to a post-apocalyptic land. This comes with a hammer-action blasting where it has to be pulled and pressed to fire the dart.
- Four-barrel blaster
- Four Nerf foam darts that are flexible and have hollow tips
- Fires four darts in a row
- Tactical rail to customize accessories
- Requires no batteries
If your kids love playing with Nerf guns, this Glowshot gun may be one of the best choices to consider. It not only enables spontaneous sneak attacks but illuminates the battlefield too.
- Single-barrel blaster
- Includes three darts
- Can fire one bullet at once
- Blaster glows
- Compatible for Nerf suction cup bullets
The Nerf Fortnite Dart-Firing Blaster is inspired by the rocket launcher used in Fortnite video games. It is a micro shots series in a scrunched down style of an original blaster. It allows one dart in the blaster.
- Single-shot blaster
- Comes with two Nerf Elite darts
- Can fire one dart at once
- Powered manually; requires no batteries
- Recommended for ages eight and above
The Nerf Elite Titan CS-50 Toy Blaster has a motorized shooting capacity and its rotating barrel adds fun. It runs on battery power and has an automated function and large capacity that let the child shoot more darts in less time.
- Blaster has a capacity of 50 darts
- Comes with 50 Nerf Elite darts
- Barrel has a shoulder strap for carrying it
- Darts are designed for distance and tested for performance
- Darts have flexible and hollow tips
Another Nerf blaster Fortnite model with mini-sized micro shots, this one is inspired by the blaster used in the popular Fortnight Royale video game. The scrunched-down style of dart firing blasters mimics the look of original blasters.
- Comes with two darts
- Fires one dart at once
- Single-shot blaster
- Requires hand power and has no battery slots
- Compact size
The Nerf mega talon blaster is compact, which makes it suitable for indoor shooting games or in small play areas. There is power in every shot, and it is easy to reload the barrel. Darts are designed for accuracy.
- Comes with three Accustrike Nerf mega darts
- Storage area to keep the darts for quick reloading
- Fires only one dart at a time
- Darts are flexible with hollow tips
This is a revolving blaster that adds fun to zombie fighters with its power shock electronic lights and sounds. It makes blasting, sparkling, and revving sounds when you power it up and shoot.
- Comes with 18 dart clips and 18 darts
- Motorized blaster
- Fires all the 18 darts in a row
- Darts are made of durable foam and designed for distance
- Two tactical rails that could help customize the blaster with accessories.
How To Choose The Right Nerf Gun For Children?
To select the right gun for your kid, have the following checklist in mind.
- Weight: Lightweight and compact guns are easier to handle. Prefer them over heavyweight ones as small guns are more comfortable to carry and run.
- Age: This is an important consideration when choosing a Nerf gun. Check the recommended age before buying a gun.
- Ease of loading: Find those that are easy to load. Some guns have a complicated technology that kids may not learn quickly.
- Theme: Kids love themed toys, like Nerf guns that are designed to match popular themes, such as Fortnite, Marvel, Star Wars, and Overwatch.
- Price: Check the price of the product. It is good to have a fixed budget in mind so that it can narrow down the option to buy the best and affordable gun.
Even though they are made of foam, the darts from Nerf guns could pose a risk when aimed at the eyes and sensitive parts of the body. To prevent injury, ensure that your child always has the necessary protective gear and follows guidelines to make playing with these toys fun. We hope our list of best Nerf guns could help you buy the right one for your child, keeping in mind the safety as well as your budget.