Nerf guns are one of the most popular toys for children, and the best Nerf guns are made and tested to meet global safety standards.
These toy guns are foam-based and rounded darts that are generally safe for most children to play with. However, you must know that it might not suit all age groups. So, choosing one can be a challenging and confusing task. Well, we’ve got you covered. Scroll down to check out the best options that you can consider buying.
Our Top Picks
Safety Tips While Using Nerf Guns
Keep the following precautions in mind while your children are playing with Nerf guns:
- Teach them to hold the gun properly and aim so that they do not hit someone accidentally
- Explain how to load the barrel correctly
- Never aim the gun at another person’s eyes or face, or other sensitive parts
- Do not look down the barrel even if it is not loaded
- Keep the finger off the trigger and point it towards the ground until they are ready to aim the target
- Do not leave the gun loaded
- Wear eyeglasses and face mask for safety
Most importantly, you must make your child understand that playing with toy guns is merely for fun and sport, while real guns are extremely dangerous and not meant for use by children.
17 Best Nerf Guns For Kids
The NERF N-Strike Elite Triad Ex-3 toy gun is compact and easy to use. It offers three barrels and activates only when the darts are placed in each of the barrels. It is recommended for children aged eight years and above. This video gives you more information about the product.
- Made of smart technology that tells you which barrel is loaded
- Has a range of up to 90 feet
- Fires three darts in a row quickly
- Cocking the handle enables the shot
- Darts may get slightly loose and not fire properly at times
- May be difficult for a younger child to operate
This blaster has a modular design that allows attaching and detaching the parts of the gun to enhance its performance. It is recommended for children above eight years. Have a look at this video to learn more about the product.
- Can create more than 30 combinations
- Children can customize their blaster
- Blaster includes ten darts and a banana clip
- Darts fire up to 90 feet
- Includes targeting scope, drop grip, dual-rail barrel, and a storage stock
- Batteries may not be included
- Grip handle may be bulky for small hands
This may be one of the best Nerf guns for children owing to its advanced design and performance. It is known for its accuracy, distance, and speed. The comprehensive design enables the darts to fly far. Here is an informative video that tells you more about the product.
- Has a 25-dart capacity and includes 25 ultra darts
- Darts feature Aerofin technology, an innovative flight tip, and lightweight foam
- Darts can fire up to 120 feet
- High-capacity drum enables firing over two dozen darts in a row
- Compatible with only Nerf ultra darts
- Trigger might be slightly stiff
The Nerf N-Strike Elite Jolt Blaster is small but offers super stealth basting. The barrel could be loaded with only one dart at once and reloaded after you fire it.
- Micro-size blaster with a single barrel
- Comes with two elite darts
- Compact and easy to use
- High-firing performance
- Darts may slide out
- Toddlers may find it difficult to pull the trigger
The Nailbiter Zombie Strike Blaster offers a fast-firing option with no priming and can be customized for enhanced performance. This forms a part of the Zombie Strike Survival System of blasters and accessories and is a great toy for children with an active imagination and aids pretend-play.
- Blaster with eight-dart capacity
- Comes with eight Zombie strike elite darts
- Doesn’t require reloading
- Dart clip automatically indexes the next dart
- May jam sometimes
- Trigger may be slightly firm
This N-Strike blaster from Nerf is a cool toy for long-distance shooting. It is a double-barreled gun that fires two darts at once. It offers an option to switch to slam fire mode and shoot the darts quickly.
- Has a pump mechanism
- Fires darts up to 75 feet
- Launches up to eight mega darts without reloading
- Available in different color combinations of white, orange, or gray
- May lose power over time
- Darts may fall out of the barrel
Here’s a Nerf gun that is compact and can be taken anywhere. The micro size blaster is easy to carry in pockets and backpacks. The built-in dart storage also makes it easy to store and use.
- Single-dart blaster
- Comes with three Nerf Elite darts
- Can fire one dart a time
- Built-in area to store two additional darts
- Available in red and blue; each sold separately
- Some may feel it is underpowered
- Bullets may be lighter than expected
The Nerf RaptorStrike is a part of the AccuStrike series, which are known for their high accuracy. It comes with an extendable bipod that is used for adjusting the height to aim accurately. The gun is recommended for children aged eight years and above.
- Blaster contains two six-dart clips
- Comes with 18 darts
- Compatible with Nerf Elite darts
- Pop-up site for aiming the target
- May be difficult to load ammunition
- Range may not be enough for some
The AlphaPoint Laser Ops Pro Blaster offers children everything they need in a head-to-head live-action battle. The blaster comes with light and sound effects, a quick-reload button, unlimited ammo, and indicators for ammo, health, and more.
- Two laser ops pro blasters
- Fires a single shot at a time
- Option to track your performance by connecting to a smart device (not included)
- Two armbands to hold the smart device
- Indoor and outdoor switch to adjust to the environment
- Batteries not included
- Trigger may get jammed
A good little gun that shoots far with accuracy, this Nerf N-strike bow strike blaster could help your children win the competition. All they need to do is to pull the handle to locate the target for shooting.
- Blaster has one barrel
- Includes three darts
- Blaster fires one dart at a time
- Bow arms open and the sides flip up
- Recommended for ages eight and above
- May be difficult to pull the trigger
- May not shoot far
Your child would love to use this Doomlands blaster when their imagination takes them to a post-apocalyptic land. This comes with a hammer-action blaster that needs to be pulled and pressed to fire the dart.
- Four-barrel blaster
- Four Nerf foam darts with flexible and have hollow tips
- Fires four darts in a row
- Tactical rail to customize accessories
- Requires no batteries
- Some may find the power to be low
- Space behind the trigger may be small
If your children love playing with Nerf guns, this Glowshot gun may be one of the best choices to consider. It not only enables spontaneous sneak attacks but illuminates the battlefield too.
- Single-barrel blaster
- Includes three darts
- Can fire one dart at once
- Blaster glows
- Works with Nerf suction cup bullets
- May seem small for some
- May be difficult to cock and shoot for small hands
The Nerf Fortnite Dart-Firing Blaster is inspired by the rocket launcher used in Fortnite video games. It is a part of the micro shots series and shoots one dart at a time.
- Comes with two Nerf Elite darts
- Includes two darts
- Powered manually; requires no batteries
- Recommended for ages eight and above
- May be smaller than expected
- May not shoot far
The Nerf Elite Titan CS-50 Toy Blaster is a motorized blaster with a rotating barrel. It runs on battery and has an automated function and large capacity to let your child shoot more darts in less time.
- Blaster has a capacity of 50 darts
- Comes with 50 Nerf Elite darts
- Barrel has a shoulder strap for carrying it
- Darts are designed for distance and tested for performance
- Darts have flexible and hollow tips
- May be slightly large for some
- Darts may get stuck at times
Here’s another Nerf blaster Fortnite model with mini-sized micro shots. It is inspired by the blaster used in the popular Fortnight Royale video game. The scrunched-down dart firing blasters mimic the look of original blasters.
- Comes with two darts
- Fires one dart at once
- Requires hand power and has no battery slots
- Compact size
- Trigger may not be easy to pull for children
The Nerf Mega Talon blaster is compact, which makes it suitable for indoor shooting games or in small play areas. There is power in every shot, and it is easy to reload the barrel. The darts are designed for accuracy.
- Comes with three Accustrike Nerf mega darts
- Storage area to keep the darts for quick reloading
- Fires only one dart at a time
- Darts are flexible with hollow tips
- Some may not find it comfortable to hold
- May not shoot far
This is a revolving blaster that adds fun to zombie fighters with its power shock electronic lights and sounds. It makes blasting, sparkling, and revving sounds when you power it up and shoot.
- Comes with 18 dart clips and 18 darts
- Motorized blaster
- Fires all the 18 darts in a row
- Darts are made of durable foam and designed for distance
- Two tactical rails help customize the blaster with accessories
- May get jammed frequently
- Motor may take long to wind up
How To Choose The Right Nerf Gun For Children?
To select the right gun for your kid, have the following checklist in mind.
- Weight: Lightweight and compact guns are easier to handle. Prefer them over heavyweight ones as small guns are more comfortable to carry and run.
- Age: This is an important consideration when choosing a Nerf gun. Check the recommended age before buying a gun.
- Ease of loading: Find those that are easy to load. Some guns have a complicated technology that kids may not learn quickly.
- Theme: Kids love themed toys, like Nerf guns that are designed to match popular themes, such as Fortnite, Marvel, Star Wars, and Overwatch.
- Price: Check the price of the product. It is good to have a fixed budget in mind so that it can narrow down the option to buy the best and affordable gun.
Even though they are made of foam, the darts from Nerf guns could pose a risk when aimed at the eyes and sensitive parts of the body. To prevent injury, ensure that your child always has the necessary protective gear and follows guidelines to make playing with these toys fun. We hope our list of best Nerf guns could help you buy the right one for your child, keeping in mind the safety as well as your budget.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose has extensive experience reviewing gifts and toys. She uses this experience to recommend great products to her readers. Here, she has listed and reviewed the best Nerf guns for kids by analyzing and comparing products with high ratings and good user reviews. Priti has also included safety tips and listed the factors you should consider when buying a Nerf gun for your little one.
Nerf guns are immensely popular among children. They meet global safety standards and are generally safe for children. Make sure to buy Nerf guns with maximum dart capacity, smart device to track performance, pop-up site for aiming the target, and compact easy to use. Also, consider factors like size, theme, ease of lading, age, and price before making the purchase. Ensure to take all precautions like wearing eyeglass and face masks to ensure optimum safety, and ask your child not to aim at the eyes and sensitive parts of the body.